• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you react to a Metroid reboot w/ a black Samus

It would be fucking stupid and painfully obvious that it was done to just appeal to a weird group of people. I mean, I disagree with making a link a female but this would be an actual punch in the face for people who care about the story of Metroid.

I mean, who would actually like changing an already established character for the sake of appealing to... someone? Just make a different character and introduce them into the world of Metroid, don't go changing somebody for no good reason.

Hell, even make it the daughter of Samus or something.

Actually, I thought about it a little bit and there is one way you can make Black Samus work - you need a story where Samus works with at least one alternate universe counterpart of herself to hunt something down, switching between the two as you go through the game. Then the next game can be all Black Samus and her slightly different backstory or whatever.

Exodust

Banned
This is an odd thread to make.

Doesn't really matter to me if she is or isn't if a new game is being developed. Seeing as it's Nintendo I highly doubt it ever happens, especially since they went out of their way to say she isn't trans when one of the developers said she was in some interview.

OP you fucked up
Why did you feel the need to define the word 'Black' like we don't know what that shit means
you know what GAF really doesn't know the meaning of?
Going by this thread, the word 'reboot' is a mystery that most GAF users just can't wrap their heads around.

"It obviously means 'contiguous sequel', right? I'mma respond like it means 'contiguous sequel.' "

Glass Rebel

"why aren't people pushing for more/better new characters? " isn't relevant?
The fact that you try to avoid why your avatar's character isn't black is pretty telling as well.
Come on, stop the hypocrisy, pushing questions on people, not being happy with the answers or when they refuse to answer, and then refusing to answer when you get similar questions.
Certainly not doing you or those threads any favour.

And yes the importance of a 20+ year old industry icon would be lessened if you were changing her. Again, come on.

Ok, I'll humour you.

People are pushing for more and better new characters.
My avatar's character isn't black because he was drawn like this by the creator.

Now explain to me how these questions are relevant in a fictional scenario where Nintendo would make Samus Aran a black woman.

I'll wait.

Making Zelda black would make zero sense her reincarnation is supposed to look like Hylia in mortal form.

Now with Link it should be possible for him if his mother or father but that would be quite rare is a gerudo wich could give him a darker skin tone.
I'm sorry, since when did the game anywhere say Zelda has to look like Hylia? Likewise, if we apply that logic to Zelda, then the same can be applied to Link via the first hero, the one that existed alongside the only actual reincarnation of Hylia.

TheSun

Why not just replace Samus.

make a new lead, y'know. I can dig a black bounty hunter of the galaxy.

But if they did indeed change her race then I'll be okay with that. Not enough black protagonists.

MKIL65

Half of the internet would lose their goddamn mind over it. Especially Gamefaqs and Reddit users.

So I say they should do it!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oh, come on!

I love black hermione too, but stop this, this has been debunked, people tweeted a freaking quote from the book she herself wrote to show she totally wrote her white.

Also, let's say she actually didn't write that bit, she says "i didn't specify she was white, lol!", but she DID approve every illustration of Hermione depicted as caucasian? Did she forgot that she confessed Hermione was literally her self insert?

It's freaking play why on earth did anyone give a shit. That sorta stuff happens all the time in plays amongst men being played by women and vice versa.

It's litterally just people showing their ass.

OP you fucked up

Why did you feel the need to define the word 'Black' like we don't know what that shit means
To be fair, non-Americans/Canadians/Brits/Aussies(?) might not make the association right away, especially since "black" can be used as an adjective for bad/evil things (like black market).

I in fact ran into this problem on another forum, because a guy used black to refer to a bad thing, but he put it in front of a word that made me think of African-Americans.

I'm not a fan of treating Nintendo's characters as gender or palette swappable generic characters. I'd rather see Nintendo add to their pantheon of characters with original and diverse characters, not retrofit established characters. That would feel too much like quota check boxing in the laziest way.

DrArchon

I'm more worried about getting another Metroid period rather than a more diverse one.

More on-topic: I wouldn't care. A reboot seems unnecessary because the story isn't 100% fucked despite the damage Other M did, but there's no harm in Samus being black if she's still well written. And hey, having a black character in Smash would be pretty dope.

But the likelihood of this happening is maybe .001% at best. Better to hope for a new character that happens to be black instead.

Jaeger

If it can be explained lore-wise then sure. Otherwise it's just pandering to the crowd.

Nice bait thread.

Why would Samus' ethnicity need to be explained "lore-wise"? That doesn't even make sense. Did the lore explain her ethnicity as white now? Or is being white the default and everyone else is lore required?

How about Nintendo just kills off Samus and replaces her with a character who isn't irreparably ruined like Samus is

that character could totally be black, and she'd be a better character than Samus by default, because she ain't Samus.

Aesnath

Sure, sounds great. Since fusion and Other M, I feel like they may have worked Samus, as a character, into a corner. I'd be fine with a new protagonist, regardless of race, as long as the gameplay is strongly founded on previous entries.

Honestly, Ninty could do with a more diverse character roster.

HKA6A7

Same reaction as everytime they grab a white character and make them black:
"Ok, but why though?"
Won't bother me, but I'll always find it cheap and a waste of potential.
Make a new character! Let it take the mantle in a new way! It worked for Green Lantern and Spider man.

cmChimera

UhflEFS.gif

Came for this.

Griss

After Other M butchered Samus with the most sexist depiction of her possible, I'd actually love to see how Sakamoto would tackle 'BLACK SAMUS'.

Game pitch
-Samus is attacked by the cousins of the X parasite, the M parasite. This happens pregame, like Metroid Fusion.
-M parasite corrupts her skin, increases her melanin and makes her black by the start of the game.
-You explore a planet, destroying B parasites and using alien tech to purge the M parasite from Samus' body.
-As she does so, she becomes more and more white - like a true hero. At the end of the game, her disgusting blackness is banished forever, and in the final mission complete screen you see her in her pure, uncorrupted, white beauty.

Regards,
Sakamoto

Why would Samus' ethnicity need to be explained "lore-wise"? That doesn't even make sense. Did the lore explain her ethnicity as white now? Or is being white the default and everyone else is lore required?

Any significant change to a character that people like should be at the very least explained. It has nothing to do with what the change is. Samus, is white, she's always been white. People like her design not just her personality, so the very least that Nintendo could do for the fans that grew up with Samus, in this hypothetical where they did change her, was offer a reason why.

Kwame120

Banned
Oh, come on!

I love black hermione too, but stop this, this has been debunked, people tweeted a freaking quote from the book she herself wrote to show she totally wrote her white.

Also, let's say she actually didn't write that bit, she says "i didn't specify she was white, lol!", but she DID approve every illustration of Hermione depicted as caucasian? Did she forgot that she confessed Hermione was literally her self insert?
I'm pretty sure that that's what Rowling said. I do remember one part from the book mentioning her as white being, but it was also in the context of fright, horror or surprise, so could've been a literacy device. Even if Hermione was indeed specified as white, Rowling herself has said that she has no issues with a black interpretation.

The issue here is with regards to defining aspects of her character, so then the illustrations are a white interpretation of Hermione, which isn't wrong - but isn't more correct than a black interpretation of Hermione either. Ultimately it comes down to the author here, so unless she specifically wrote Hermione as white, then she's saying that any interpretation is valid - whiteness is not a part of her character defined in the books. Rowling may personally see her as white, but may have chosen not to write that in - so that everyone can have their own interpretation of her.

Ran rp

You say that as if helping a child develop into a progressive, loving person is a bad thing.

If that works on children then let's get it going.

😒

I'm not saying that and you know it. We can do better than that in children's media and you know it.

Sure, sounds great. Since fusion and Other M, I feel like they may have worked Samus, as a character, into a corner.

You're god damned right.

Would any of you go to see a movie where it's literally T-X from Terminator 3
alone
on the run from the police?

fuck no because it'd be stupid boring

well, that's where Metroid is now. Mrs. Tall Blonde With No Personality, alone, on the run from the police. Riveting.

Hahaha, oh wait. She's not alone.

She's got Adam.

REBOOT THIS SHIT

This is bullshit though, because the fan base, especially the racist or sexist part of it(let's be real), is not gonna have it, so they're always going to be splitting talent and the moneymaker is gonna be getting the lion share of that or fail. Just economics. Or are we forgetting how Ghostbusters went down?

And Captain Todd is a super budget game, they ain't even spending star fox zero money on it.
I disagree. I think Ghostbusters is a poor example as well. 1. There was a time for that movie, unfortunately it was 20 years ago and should have been left alone.
2. They didn't deliver a product people wanted.

In contrast Nier has been doing quite well with different characters and a change in sex of the main protagonist from drakengard.

Sure captain Todd. (I see you) was a budget game but I am going to think for like 10 seconds and more all the games he's in
9 Mario kart games
Mario rpg
New super Mario brothers
Mario 2 (if you consider his first appearance was Mario 1)
Mario 3
And I'm going to stop thinking about it now. I have better things to do. I'm just not going to let you call my comment bullshit while lacking any facts to back it. And try to remain civil. Geeze. You can continue to think everyone is racist and sexist. I will not deny that they do exist and probably had a small impact on ghostbusters (and a terribly invasive hacking incident that is inexcusable). I think if you deliver a good product, the audience will come. I still think that if we are changing Samus to that degree just let you design your own character. The dude bros can get their way and those that enjoy the nostalgia of the originals can have classic Samus. Win win.

RRockman

Banned

Can't just have a character that has been constantly be portrayed one way for years suddenly flip a switch. Unlike Link, we have been following the exact same character for years now, rather than a reincarnation each game.

Really and truly, though I just want Samus to not be on the run from the Federation anymore. Maybe she's hiding out on the same moon Megaman Volnutt is stuck on?

Glass Rebel

Any significant change to a character that people like should be at the very least explained. It has nothing to do with what the change is. Samus, is white, she's always been white. People like her design not just her personality, so the very least that Nintendo could do for the fans that grew up with Samus, in this hypothetical where they did change her, was offer a reason why.

A change that has no bearing on the character in-universe doesn't need an in-universe explanation. Characters in tv series get recast all the time because of external factors that don't need to be specifically explained by the story.

poussi

Changing Samus drastically would feel odd as she's an established character that has been the same exact person in all of the games. I'd still play it (if it were good), but would be happier if she was just a completely new main character. If there's one Nintendo character that you could change completely but change the name, it would be Link.

LordKasual

Banned
I don't see how this would be any different than her removing her helmet in Metroid 1 to reveal that she was a woman in the first place

the whole reason the revelation of what she looks like under the suit is impactful is because it has never fucking mattered in any way shape or form

the fact that it DOES suddenly matter is why Samus sucks now and Metroid is currently dead

That said, Samus is an already established character. She isn't known throughout the galaxy as "Chozo Warrior" or "Varia Suit", she's known as "Samus Aran". So it's not the same as Spiderman becoming black or Thor becoming a woman.

Changing character's established looks is not really how impactful representation works. Make a new character, but rebooting her as someone else is stupid. Nobody should be asking for that.

KarmaCow

The important part of her story is that she was a space kid who was taken in by space bird people after space pirates lead by a space dragon killed her space family, in space. It's not like they haven't changed how Samus has looked before this without anyone being unable to reconcile the differences.

A change that has no bearing on the character in-universe doesn't need an in-universe explanation. Characters in tv series get recast all the time because of external factors that don't need to be specifically explained by the story.
Yeah, bro these aren't TV actors, they're video characters. Also, no race in any game is gonna have a barring on a character unless race is part of the story. Fans of Samus deserve more in this hypothetical then to see a character that they like both for personality and DESIGN then to have a character they like suddenly changed.

Now Samus isn't the only person in the Metroid universe and it wouldn't be a far stretch to have another character who had a similar chozo upbringing, so there's little to no need for this change.
The important part of her story is that she was a space kid who was taken in by space bird people after space pirates lead by a space dragon killed her space family, in space. It's not like they haven't changed how Samus has looked before this without anyone being unable to reconcile the differences.
Why do these threads always devolve into people blatantly ignoring that the visual design of a character has any weight? As a aspiring character designer it's one of the most insulting things I can think of. Samus was based on a movie actress and has always been portrayed as being blond and white, and over the years the design has further homogenized. You can stand around all day and act like the only that matters to a video character that we're constantly LOOKING at when we play a game is a synopsis of her life history, but you'll always be dead wrong.

Top Bottom