• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC reveals 5-inch, 1080p (440ppi) "HTC J Butterfly" in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

I hope they release a phone with this display in the UK eventually!

The rumors were true: HTC has been working on a new flagship phone with a 1080p display, and we got to see it in Tokyo today. It's the HTC J Butterfly, and it's set for a release this December on AU / KDDI. A follow-up to the previous HTC J, the Butterfly uses the same red and black color scheme and Rhyme-inspired skin, though this time it's running on top of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Inside there's a quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 processor, 2GB of RAM, and an 8-megapixel camera.

The real attraction, though, is the 5-inch full HD Super LCD 3 screen — it's truly a sight to behold. The Super LCD 2 seen in HTC's previous flagship One X was arguably the best panel on the market, but we think its successor is the new champion. Color reproduction is excellent, the 440ppi resolution is astonishing, and the screen's slightly curved edges make the image look like it's melting off the side of the phone. It doesn't feel overbearing in the hands, either; the phone's 9.1mm thinness and slim bezel make it surprisingly compact, and we found it was easily pocketable. The J Butterfly's 2,020mAh battery is above average in capacity, though we're interested to find out how it'll keep up with powering so many pixels throughout the course of a day.

While this is a Japan-specific model and almost certain to stay that way, HTC reps told us that its display will be making its way into other phones around the world. If the J Butterfly is anything to go by, you should start to get excited.

DSC05199_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC05208_verge_super_wide.jpg

theverge_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

theverge_560.jpg

htc_j_butterfly_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC05200_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC05201_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC05197_verge_super_wide.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/17/...nning-5-inch-1080p-j-butterfly-phone-in-japan

CiSTM

Banned
Note II got some competition. Tho I really like the Spen feature so I think I will stick with my decision. This might affect the Note's price so I'll wait till it gets released here.

f0lken

But Steve said the retina can't differentiate the pixels after 300ppi, so why add more?

For the lulz, but seriously this is awesome, it may seem overkill but I prefer tech that keeps moving forward instead of staying in a comfort zone, if only the Note 2 had this screen my next phone would be an android and not a Windows Phone

dwebo

the author in the comments:
You really can tell the difference, though. Next to an iPhone 5 there’s a distinct leap in clarity. Somehow.

now bring that screen to the US this year, please

Wubby

AU? Argh!! I'm getting sick of being a Softbank customer. Absolutely no decent phones in their lineup outside the iPhone. Pretty much every android phone they get are a year old or utter crap. No samsung or sony even. And their network has been running like shit recently.

And to top it off they are dumping ¥ into the failure that is Sprint. I have a feeling my Softbank days may be numbered family plan and sister-in law who works for Softbank be damned.

Zaptruder

Banned
Sharper than print...

Certainly getting to the very tail end of efficacy. Wonder where manufacturers are going after this?

We've basically hit the limits of pocket sizes and retinas... and modern high end phones are silky smooth responsive. At most, it'll be another generation before we get 100+ fps/hz UI phones at 1920x1080+ resolution.

Autostereoscopic will continue to be a gimmick. It just doesn't work all that well, and when it does, there is only so much stereoscopy alone can improve image quality...

Cipherr

440 PPI.

You really can tell the difference, though. Next to an iPhone 5 there’s a distinct leap in clarity. Somehow.

Indeed you can, and that shouldn't really be shocking. The white levels on it are amazing too. Not to mention HTC's LCD tech gets black levels beaten only by AMOLED. Its just great all around.

Izayoi

Banned
God damn.

I just bought a smart phone for the first time and now I'm already looking forward to getting a new one.

This is a dangerous world I've entered.

Dem pixels unf.

Though a 5" phone is probably slightly more than I'd like to handle. My S3 is kind of at the limit for me already.

Zaptruder

Banned

That is a ridiculously pretty shot of the handset.

Seriously, designers absolutely have to consider the default UI and widgets as part of the overall design aesthetic of the phone.

This one pulls it off quite swimmingly... and other phones have done it too; but in many other cases (from HTC no less), you can always see a clear disjunct in design from home UI to phone design.

Zaptruder

Banned
They'll just make it a bit longer and call it a day.

Apple 2013: Good news everyone! Due to a mutation caused by the 2012 kinda-but-not-quite-armageddon event, everyone's genetics have been slightly altered to give us all slightly longer thumbs. It turns out the new optimal correct one size fits all screen size is now 4.5".

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm not interested in buying a 5" phone, but damn, that screen is probably perfect for consumer version of Oculus Rift.

I wouldn't want a 5 inch phone. If they can put 1080p on a +-4,6" screen next year, with similar specs, I'm in.
4" 720p is perfectly possible [GooPhone I5 will have one].

Toki767

I'm going to say that at 5 inches, I really wish they had just used on screen software buttons instead of the ones below the screen. They could've made the entire front a screen besides a top bezel for the camera/speaker/whatever.

God damn.

I just bought a smart phone for the first time and now I'm already looking forward to getting a new one.

This is a dangerous world I've entered.

Remember: phone contracts last for 2 years.

Too bad you'll want to upgrade every year. I've more or less resigned myself to paying full price for phones anyways since I can no longer upgrade my phone and get a contract while keeping unlimited data on Verizon.

Doopliss

I'm going to say that at 5 inches, I really wish they had just used on screen software buttons instead of the ones below the screen. They could've made the entire front a screen besides a top bezel for the camera/speaker/whatever.

I agree with you, but if you look at phones using software buttons they almost all have as much bottom bezel as this one does. They don't take proper advantage of the lack of capacitive keys to make the device smaller.

Toki767

I agree with you, but if you look at phones using software buttons they almost all have as much bottom bezel as this one does. They don't take proper advantage of the lack of capacitive keys to make the device smaller.

Yeah, and I'm not sure why that is. Maybe from a design standpoint I guess the theory is that equal spacing between the top and bottom is more desirable. I let it slide with something like the Galaxy Nexus because the screen is curved, but I just wish this phone or a future one could just do away with the bottom bezel altogether considering the screen is 5 inches.

OP is my article. this phone is amazing, believe me, though the battery life concerns could prove well-founded.

AU? Argh!! I'm getting sick of being a Softbank customer. Absolutely no decent phones in their lineup outside the iPhone. Pretty much every android phone they get are a year old or utter crap. No samsung or sony even. And their network has been running like shit recently.

And to top it off they are dumping ¥ into the failure that is Sprint. I have a feeling my Softbank days may be numbered family plan and sister-in law who works for Softbank be damned.

i use an aquos phone on softbank and like it quite a bit, though the lack of even platinum band (never mind LTE!) is pretty annoying. may well be tempted to switch soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom