• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC reveals 5-inch, 1080p (440ppi) "HTC J Butterfly" in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudkips

Banned
An inch? Your eye(s) would have to be less than a cm away from the screen for such detail. At which point your eye(s) can't even focus correctly anyway. :V

I can see pixels out the ass when I view my phone (254 ppi) at a foot away.
I don't even have 20/20 vision.

Kinda funny that MS is under 4% the way GAF goes on about the Lumia ad nauseum

I mean Jesus when you're getting hosed by RIM who itself are on deathwatch you need to look in the mirror.

I wasn't aware that the quality of a product is directly related to its marketshare. Thanks for this valuable lesson.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm just gonna say I think it would help. My Chinese sucks, so I often look up words to try to learn them, and there is some complex words that I can't see because resolution sucks and the way they are displayed are like that image I posted with lines coming together. So yeah, the res bump that makes it more visible would help.

I really hope they start making profit soon. One X is so overlooked, almost forgotten, but it's great. This, along with One X+ and 8X is fantastic

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Zaptruder said:
I had no idea. That's really impressive. But how can they be so high?
OLED scales well to smaller sizes. The view-finder in NEX-7 is less than 1 inch wide, with 2.4MPixel resolution (aka QWXGA 2048x1152).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_NEX-7

And yes, they go higher too:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/27/MicroOLED

Shows that DSLRs are sporting 250 ppi view finders and below.
Those appear to be back-panels based on their size, by view-finder I was referring to the little view on-top of camera that is normally optical - but it's being replaced in the mirror-less high-end cameras with electronics.
As for back-panels - an average point&shoot these days comes with back-panels of 1-1.5MPixels, at 3-3.5inch (so 400-600PPI range).

Zaptruder

Banned
OLED scales well to smaller sizes. The view-finder in NEX-7 is less than 1 inch wide, with 2.4MPixel resolution (aka QWXGA 2048x1152).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_NEX-7

And yes, they go higher too:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/27/MicroOLED

Those appear to be back-panels based on their size, by view-finder I was referring to the little view on-top of camera that is normally optical - but it's being replaced in the mirror-less high-end cameras with electronics.
As for back-panels - an average point&shoot these days comes with back-panels of 1-1.5MPixels, at 3-3.5inch (so 400-600PPI range).

Ah... The second one at least appears to be on silicon displays. The costs are far too high for VR use; the silicon substrate is too pricey.

Ironically, the pixel density is also too high for VR use; if we're talking about the Rift method. LCoS would give us in the region of 8-12k for a 6" panel at the current bleeding edge... which are too many pixels to drive for anything with consumer hardware in it. Even 4xSLI w/ 680 would be struggling to run that sort of resolution at more than 15-30fps for a decent looking game.

Wonder how much those viewfinder panels cost Sony. If the volumes/savings are justifiable, then in theory you could get something close to a 4k panel around the 6.5" range, which would be ideal for a VR display. Only problem is trying to make that 4k 6.5" panel useful for other applications...

So much blind faith .. and Samsung calls Apple fans iSheep :facepalm:

I see. Your insults are so clever and unique, I've never seen them before. While I've got your attention here, you should explain to me why you think Samsung won't release a Note III in 2013 after the success of I and II, and also your prediction for when this Japan-only HTC device will be announced and released in the US. Good luck.

Epcott

I must admit, the HTC J Butterfly looks very sexy.

But after owning the Thunderbolt... I stay away from HTC phones.
I wonder how reliable the battery or longevity of the charger port is.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Zaptruder said:
Wonder how much those viewfinder panels cost Sony.
Yea that one I wonder about too - the camera body is maybe 80% more expensive than high-end phones, but then there's a lot more in there than just the view-finder.

around the 6.5" range, which would be ideal for a VR display.
Do we really need 6+" for VR though? I mean - granted you don't want something that requires sticking your eyes onto frame like the view-finder(unless it'll be a form of contact-lens), but taking my glasses for example - they cover close to 180" view and they are maybe 2.5" per lens. I guess 5-6" for two sides combined?
I've only tried one type of modern VR, and that had the form-factor similar to my glasses, but it worked AR-style, overlaying image on real-world (and I suspect that tech was not trying to detect head-motion, it just rendered 360 view all the time).

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The phone looks pretty amazing.

It seems like HTC has become a lot better with their latest handsets. I was thoroughly disappointed with mine (HTC Legend) - but after seeing the One X and this, I'm thinking of giving them a second chance when I get a new phone next year ... still hate HTC Sense though.

That phone in the OP looks so damn nice, and 1080p on a screen that size? Kreygasm.

If I wasn't developing stuff for iOS I would wait it out and main this smartphone, or the note 2.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yea that one I wonder about too - the camera body is maybe 80% more expensive than high-end phones, but then there's a lot more in there than just the view-finder.

Do we really need 6+" for VR though? I mean - granted you don't want something that requires sticking your eyes onto frame like the view-finder(unless it'll be a form of contact-lens), but taking my glasses for example - they cover close to 180" view and they are maybe 2.5" per lens. I guess 5-6" for two sides combined?
I've only tried one type of modern VR, and that had the form-factor similar to my glasses, but it worked AR-style, overlaying image on real-world (and I suspect that tech was not trying to detect head-motion, it just rendered 360 view all the time).

The field of view is mainly a function of edge to edge distance... so you'd have to count the bridge of the glasses in your comparison.

Around the 6" - 6.5" mark is best... it's probably a little overkill, but in my rough back of the napkin calculations, that'd give you a 130 degree horizontal FOV. I know our eyes can go as high as 180 degree FOV though. Quite a nice balance between FOV and size/weight of the panel on your face.

To test the FOV for yourself, simply hold your hands against your face and angle them with the center of your head as the point of origin. It'll give you a rough indication of the effect of increased FOV in VR.

It's a crude, but effective test.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android Central Article

Verizon appears poised to bring HTC's first 5-inch Android smartphone to the U.S.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the HTC DLX for Verizon. A few rumored details recently emerged about this upcoming (and as yet unannounced Android smartphone, and tonight we're able to bring you the first pictures.

htc-verozon-1.jpg

htc-verizon-2.jpg

htc-verizon-3.jpg

Erv

Wow. Does Verizon usually get multiple colors of the same phone? I was looking forward to the red one. How much bigger is this phone compared to the HTC one x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom