• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC reveals 5-inch, 1080p (440ppi) "HTC J Butterfly" in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodfella

I'm not saying that technology shouldn't move forward, but that resolution is absurd.

Think of how much battery that will suck away, not to mention the graphics required to run a game in native res.

As for PPI, unless I see it in person, I can't comment on it. However, many people can't even/don't even care about the difference between 1080P and 720P on their TVs, so IDK why the typical consumer would care about this.

Why would the typical consumer care about retina? Marketing.

People don't care about the difference between 720p and 1080p because they both fall under the same HD umbrella.

Why would the typical consumer care about retina? Marketing.

People don't care about the difference between 720p and 1080p because they both fall under the same HD umbrella.

I call bullshit on this. Higher dpi screens look dramatically better. Even the most casual consumer can see a difference in a single glance.

as for this phone, anything that makes reading text easier is a welcome advance in my opinion:

theverge_560.jpg

Technically impressive, functionally useless.
I call bullshit on this. Higher dpi screens look dramatically better. Even the most casual consumer can see a difference in a single glance.
Bullshit. Even today, the vast majority of people will think that a 800x480 super amoled screen set on high brightness is much better than an equivalent 720p screen set on medium brightness.

Absolutely 0% of anyone I know who has a regular smartphone released in the past few years (800x480), complains about the screen. You know what they do care about? Battery life. And the last thing that will help battery life is a useless 1080p screen.

But I guess spec dick-waving is important for a lot of people.

as for this phone, anything that makes reading text easier is a welcome advance in my opinion:

theverge_560.jpg

Devil's advocate here; do you really view your phone from an inch away?

malyce

Bullshit. Even today, the vast majority of people will think that a 800x480 super amoled screen set on high brightness is much better than an equivalent 720p screen set on medium brightness.

Absolutely 0% of anyone I know who has a regular smartphone released in the past few years (800x480), complains about the screen. You know what they do care about? Battery life. And the last thing that will help battery life is a useless 1080p screen.

You're trying to tell me that a nexus s or galaxy s2 has a better screen than an s3 or galaxy nexus?

Yeah... keep thinking that

I sometimes do when trying to discern fine details of photos when attempting to ID plants and insects...

Hang on, do you really expect us to believe that you've talked to everyone you know about what they like/dislike about their phones?

Zeth

I'm guessing the number of apps that support that resolution formatted for a phone will be single digits for a while right?

tino

Banned

I justify it this way: with a higher re screen, when I am viewing a map or a photo, I can always put my face closer to the screen and get the detail, and thats a much faster operation than "pinch to zoom" and then zoom back out.

I don't care if I don't need it the other 98% of the time. I will pay for this feature if I am given the option.

You're trying to tell me that a nexus s or galaxy s2 has a better screen than an s3 or galaxy nexus?

Yeah... keep thinking that
I'm saying the common person doesn't give a shit, especially about the resolution. Make the screen brighter and you'll have convinced the person its a brand new and much more clearer screen.

That's not to say that advancement is bad. There are a lot of ways you can improve the screen....make it more readable under sunlight, make it more durable. But brute force resolution increases are just lame.
I sometimes do when trying to discern fine details of photos when attempting to ID plants and insects...

Hang on, do you really expect us to believe that you've talked to everyone you know about what they like/dislike about their phones?
I have 4 family members and about 8 close friends, all of whom have phones where they think the screen is great. The only time they're actually impressed is when they see a super-amoled screen on high brightness.

What's more absurd is that you're pushing a narrative where you bring the phone 1 inch away from your eye when inspecting insects in a photo rather than zooming in. Now THAT is absurd.

soultron

Banned
I justify it this way: with a higher re screen, when I am viewing a map or a photo, I can always put my face closer to the screen and get the detail, and thats a much faster operation than "pinch to zoom" and then zoom back out.

I don't care if I don't need it the other 98% of the time. I will pay for this feature if I am given the option.

But detail on maps is typically added/removed when you use a feature like pinch to zoom. The LOD is entirely dependent on the software, not the distance between the face and your phone.

I don't get what you're saying.

I'm probably an pompous asshole but I'm digging this phone if it stays the HTC / J butterfly, and not so much if verizon gets its nasty mits on it and it becomes the "droid" something something

The whole droid marketing pitch is so cheezy. Let this sexy motherfucker stand on its own, or drop a nexus name on it. Anything but DROID.

i kind of agree with this... people always tell me about how my phone takes such awesome photos because they see the photos on DAT AMOLED vs seeing photos on their LCD

I'm probably an pompous asshole but I'm digging this phone if it stays the HTC / J butterfly, and not so much if verizon gets its nasty mits on it and it becomes the "droid" something something

The whole droid marketing pitch is so cheezy. Let this sexy motherfucker stand on its own, or drop a nexus name on it. Anything but DROID.

you'll take your HTC Droid Incredible X 4G LTE and you'll like it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm saying the common person doesn't give a shit, especially about the resolution. Make the screen brighter and you'll have convinced the person its a brand new and much more clearer screen.

That's not to say that advancement is bad. There are a lot of ways you can improve the screen....make it more readable under sunlight, make it more durable. But brute force resolution increases are just lame.

I have 4 family members and about 8 close friends, all of whom have phones where they think the screen is great. The only time they're actually impressed is when they see a super-amoled screen on high brightness.

What's more absurd is that you're pushing a narrative where you bring the phone 1 inch away from your eye when inspecting insects in a photo rather than zooming in. Now THAT is absurd.

Eh my friends all have older Android phones, and one of my best friends commented last weekend when we hung out how much better my screen is compared to his. For the record I have the One X. He's hardly a tech geek. My GF who has an older HTC phone, the inspire 4g, said the same thing when I got mine.

I'm telling you that normal people can notice a difference IMO.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Boot up- DROIIID
text message- DROIID
Shut down- DROOOID

ITT we learn that many GAFers need glasses.

iPhone resolution is ok for gaming, but far from ideal for reading. The pixels are just too big. Someone else posted in this thread that 1200 ppi is ideal, but personally I'd be happy with anything over 600.

Just because YOU are half blind doesn't mean you should get all worked up about products that are made for people with good vision.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

theverge_560.jpg

And they actually zoomed in a lot more on the htc.

The sad reality, and the reason why TVs at local stores run in torch mode. People think high contrast and searing brightness = better.

To hell with black levels, crush, and deltaE. Nobody is impressed by those things. Make shit glow in unnatural colors and you may make a sale!

ITT we learn that many GAFers need glasses.

iPhone resolution is ok for gaming, but far from ideal for reading. The pixels are just too big. Someone else posted in this thread that 1200 ppi is ideal, but personally I'd be happy with anything over 600.

Just because YOU are half blind doesn't mean you should get all worked up about products that are made for people with good vision.

Too big?!

Hell, the Kindle Paperwhite is great for reading and it's screen is 212 PPI (Yes, I understand how viewing distance works). You make it sound as if the iPhone 5 has such a shitty resolution for reading...

nib95

Banned
The reason for 1080p here is clearly not solely for the unnecessary ppi. The options for a 5" screen are 720p (not enough for absolute retina but still enough for an extremely sharp image with no noticeable pixels at normal viewing distances) or 1080p which not only is an insane ppi beyond what the eye could make out pixels from at any distance, but that is a widely used resolution, and one many tablets etc such as the Nexus 7 and I'd imagine future phones will be using, so it makes sense from a application coverage perspective.

1080p was the obvious next step for larger screens. For a screen that was 4" for example, there are no benefits at all to being 1080p instead of 720p. Not ones the human eye could ever perceive anyway. Only changes there should be colour, contrast, black and white levels, sharpness etc.

nice troll post.

20/20 vision here. Pixels are not an issue when reading on an iPhone 4 or newer.

tino

Banned
But detail on maps is typically added/removed when you use a feature like pinch to zoom. The LOD is entirely dependent on the software, not the distance between the face and your phone.

I don't get what you're saying.

I can force more detail /change to tablet mode by changing the dpi, that part is easy.

Plus I said photos.

nice troll post.

20/20 vision here. Pixels are not an issue when reading on an iPhone 4 or newer.
Sounds like your long distance vision is good but you need reading glasses.

Obviously I can read on my iPhone, but if it had a 1280p screen I'd be able to read a little bit faster. It's easier to read letters that aren't visibly pixilated.

reKon

Banned
Apparently it has a 2500 mAh battery. I believe that is the same size as the first Galaxy Note. The first note also had a larger screen at 5.3", while this phone has a 5", but this one has a higher resolution. Assuming its 2500 mAh though, I'm not so sure the battery life is going to be all that bad.

what's the source for the battery?

Sounds like your long distance vision is good but you need reading glasses.

Obviously I can read on my iPhone, but if it had a 1280p screen I'd be able to read a little bit faster. It's easier to read letters that aren't visibly pixilated.

I can't tell if you're serious or not...

When did resolution become the most important part of a display? It didn't.

I wish more manufacturers would use OLED instead of this shitty ass LCD stuff. Only Samsung gives a shit. If only the GS3 didn't look so horrific and cheap feeling.

I wish more manufacturers would use OLED instead of this shitty ass LCD stuff. Only Samsung gives a shit. If only the GS3 didn't look so horrific and cheap feeling.

that's what people said about cars too... they talked about how new cars feel cheap and ignore how much safer they are than cars designed back in the day that offer less protection.

I can't tell if you're serious or not...
When I hold my iPhone at arms length, it's "retina," but when I'm lying in bed reading with the screen at elbow length, the pixilated letters are a little distracting. 489 ppi (which is what I'm expecting from the next iPhone) will be good enough for reading but >600 will allow me to move the phone closer to my eyes to see detail rather than using pinch to zoom. As to whether or not I can easily tell the difference between 600 and 1200 ppi, Probably but I'm not sure.

Ptaaty

the single most important feature (some recent poll) is battery life. while everything needs a balance, you need an all day phone - iphones are very good with this, and the GS3 is the first android I've used that is good enough IMO (what i own).

This phone looks absolutely amazing, agree with others...battery is a concern.

When I hold my iPhone at arms length, it's "retina," but when I'm lying in bed reading with the screen at elbow length, the pixilated letters are a little distracting. 489 ppi (which is what I'm expecting from the next iPhone) will be good enough for reading but >600 will allow me to move the phone closer to my eyes to see detail rather than using pinch to zoom. As to whether or not I can easily tell the difference between 600 and 1200 ppi, Probably but I'm not sure.
Not gonna happen.

How good is your eyesight?

Not gonna happen.

How good is your eyesight?
I think it'll happen. 640p is very low for 2012. By next year it'll be unacceptable, 960p will be good, and 1280 great but prohibitively expensive.

I'm not sure how good my eyesight is but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the top percentile. I could never read microfiche but I can see the hairs on a fly or the details of a snowflake far better than most.

I can see the hairs on a fly or the details of a snowflake far better than most.

How you were able to make that direct comparison with someone is beyond me but to have done it multiple times is amazing. Are you walking around with snow flakes and flies in your pockets to compare with other peoples eyesights?

all this retina stuff is kind dumb.

i'd rather have a 720p super amoled+ that's calibrated for 97% adobe rgb gamut and has the highest possible contrast ratio. oh and put 1 billion colors.

I think it'll happen. 640p is very low for 2012. By next year it'll be unacceptable, 960p will be good, and 1280 great but prohibitively expensive.

I'm not sure how good my eyesight is but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the top percentile. I could never read microfiche but I can see the hairs on a fly or the details of a snowflake far better than most.

I am pretty nearsighted so i also see a lot of detail when things are really close say arm length to almost 15cm from my face. I got corrective lenses for the distance viewing.
For information lenses are -3.5 what a world opener when you first put them in :)

I was kinda shocked when other could not see pixels on my laptop screen(15.6" @ 1080p).
That was further then arm length when we tested it.

So I just gave myself an eye exam and it turned out I have about 20/20 vision (Like I thought I did). Is this normal or above average?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Yet you like OLED with their pentile matrix problems and their horrible current color reproduction. Even the AMOLED+ displays which fix the pentile problem (the note II tries to fix it on the Super version and I say tries) still have color problems in terms of saturation.

So I just gave myself an eye exam and it turned out I have about 20/20 vision (Like I thought I did). Is this normal or above average?
Average, I think.

If we were to compare our eyesight, you'd be better at reading words that are far away and I'd be better at reading fine print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom