• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC reveals 5-inch, 1080p (440ppi) "HTC J Butterfly" in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TheExodu5 said:
This is most exciting for its implications with regards to the Rift Occulus. The wide availability of a 5" 1080p screen will be huge.
I'd argue VR google devices will need much smaller then 5" to be practical.
And on the flipside - high-resolution small screens (500DPI and above) - have been widely available for years in Cameras.

Somnid

It's not "stupid" just because you don't agree with / don't want it. The author of the original article has already posted in here and in the comments on the Verge, presumably you missed his post where he said there's a noticeable difference between this phone and the iPhone.

Oh I'm sure there might be but I'm also sure it'll be at a huge cost for marginal gain, which is what I'm arguing.

PaulLFC

Oh I'm sure there might be but I'm also sure it'll be at a huge cost for marginal gain, which is what I'm arguing.
Huge cost in what sense? If it's battery life then maybe (although hopefully they read the reaction to the low battery and either adjust it for release or for when the US/EU version is released. If it's price, then I seriously doubt it's going to be more expensive than an iPhone.

How much of a gain it is is also subjective and each person's opinion is different. Personally if the screen is as good as the impressions say it is, then I'd be very interested in a phone with it.

JoeFu

Banned
Why would you want 440ppi though? Above 300-310ppi on 4" at even abnormally close viewing distances is more than sufficnet to not have visible pixels. That was the whole point of the marketing term "retina". 440ppi is excessive and unecessary. Waste of cpu/gpu effort imo.

it's wrong though.
jdi-651ppi.jpg

This image is posted every time and it proves more PPI is a good thing, and not wasted. There are more things to display other than images and english text.

Emily Chu

Banned
only down side to this will be battery life...

on screen time will be 1-2 hrs max....

and just like that the Note II is already out spec and outdated before it even comes out

Emily Chu

Banned
What do people do on their phones to get excited about new releases? I imagine we

• Text
  • Call
  • Check email
  • Listen to audio
  • Take pictures

All of that could be done comfortably with a phone from 2-3 years ago, and yet prices remain high (arguably have got higher in the last few years), the hardware specs increase as well as the hype. I swear to God there are people here on GAF who have upgraded from the 4, to the 4s, to the 5 and will upgrade next year - I mean, seriously, why do you need a Quad Core and 2GB of RAM to do the same things you've already been doing?

What factors decide you getting a new phone?

For me, its only when my current one breaks down.

theres Internet stuff and multi tasking and I won't be happy until I have at least an i7 quad core 16 GB ram 512gB SSD and a full fledge Windows 8- 9 x64 desktop OS with a dedicated GTX 660 in my pocket with 1440p @ 6.7" with 6G data unlimited

it's wrong though.
jdi-651ppi.jpg

This image is posted every time and it proves more PPI is a good thing, and not wasted. There are more things to display other than images and english text.

Keep in mind the little marker there that says 3 mm. On your screen it's probably closer to 30 mm, to give you a sense of scale. That's tiny.

it's wrong though.
jdi-651ppi.jpg

There are two chinese signs within a 3mm space. What font size is that? -10?

Honestly, yes off course a higher ppi is always "better", but illustrating it by a huge blowup of a detail, as if that has any effect on daily use, is not a way to prove it imo.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Why why why HTC do you put small batteries in your phone...

I like Sense...you make good hardware and I love your shell casing but your batteries do truly suck!

Mudkips

Banned
I'm still waiting for the Note II to hit AT&T.
By the time that happens I may be lusting after something else that uses this screen.

grebby

Looks gorgeous, but man, I'm a man who is nuts about battery life. It's an instant turn-off for me if I have to worry about battery life on a phone. This is why the Note II looks appealing right now, the things seems to just keep on truckin'.

I really like the design though, well done in that regard HTC. Screen speaks for itself.

Radec

and just like that the Note II is already out spec and outdated before it even comes out

Apart from the higher res and ppi, everything that this phone can do is also easily doable in the Note 2. But S-pen and multi-window is note 2 exclusive.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can't stand sense or any bullshit UI addon. It takes away performance. Will buy if there's a Nexus version of this hardware.

Stole my post!

But Steve said the retina can't differentiate the pixels after 300ppi, so why add more?

Wrong. The human eye can distinguish up to 900ppi.

Apple uses the propaganda term "Retina display" for screen qualities above approximately 200 PPI, under the theory that this is as much as the human eye can resolve. Of course, this is not true: we need around 900 PPI for a screen so good that adding pixels wouldn't make it look any better

We need up to 1200ppi for text to look as good as it possibly can. So yeah, still a long way to go.

300ppi is going to be the new 24fps pretty soon. No I don't know exactly what that means.

JonnyBrad

Why would you want 440ppi though? Above 300-310ppi on 4" at even abnormally close viewing distances is more than sufficnet to not have visible pixels. That was the whole point of the marketing term "retina". 440ppi is excessive and unecessary. Waste of cpu/gpu effort imo.

440 PPI is 440ppi on any phone. Why would I want it on a 5" and not a 4" phone?

Please don't buy into apples nonsense.

OP is my article. this phone is amazing, believe me, though the battery life concerns could prove well-founded.

i use an aquos phone on softbank and like it quite a bit, though the lack of even platinum band (never mind LTE!) is pretty annoying. may well be tempted to switch soon.
If it is, I am super jealous of your job.

Stole my post!

Wrong. The human eye can distinguish up to 900ppi.

We need up to 1200ppi for text to look as good as it possibly can. So yeah, still a long way to go.

300ppi is going to be the new 24fps pretty soon. No I don't know exactly what that means.

haha so funny also said this to other internships i said i can still see the pixels in my 15.6" full hd laptop screen they went really. And i went wait you guys can't i even have lenses.
So yeah i do think 1200ppi is something to look forward too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guys

It is coming to the US - namely Verizon. That's the 5-inch mystery device

Well it is red already.

The World has yet to topple Super LCD2 and HTC says yo bitches we got a 1080p Super LCD3 screen up in here! Game on!!

There's a Super LCD2? I've been out of the phone specs loop.

These phones need matte (non-glossy) screens. But then I guess your finger wouldn't glide as well...

Battery is a death sentence. It will make the phone near unusable without a spare.

Also, no on screen buttons, boo.

what spare? back is removable? it doesn't look like it in the pix...

Note II got some competition. Tho I really like the Spen feature so I think I will stick with my decision. This might affect the Note's price so I'll wait till it gets released here.

no Wacom = not competition

F#A#Oo

Banned

Uh Apple has you under their control clearly because that's just not true...

Anyways...

nib95

Banned
Uh Apple has you under their control clearly because that's just not true...

Anyways...

Lol. I have a 4S (not my main phone). Even if I stick my face close to it to try and make out pixels, I can't, so why the need for a much higher ppi? I'm not even a big fan of Apple lol.

What do people do on their phones to get excited about new releases? I imagine we

• Text
  • Call
  • Check email
  • Listen to audio
  • Take pictures

All of that could be done comfortably with a phone from 2-3 years ago, and yet prices remain high (arguably have got higher in the last few years), the hardware specs increase as well as the hype. I swear to God there are people here on GAF who have upgraded from the 4, to the 4s, to the 5 and will upgrade next year - I mean, seriously, why do you need a Quad Core and 2GB of RAM to do the same things you've already been doing?

well, i can't speak for others, but my bill doesn't decrease at the end of my 2 year contract, but i get a new subsidy every .. uhh ... i believe 22? months.

f0lken

Because everyone that has seen the HTC screen says that the difference is noticeable, so as long as yiu can tell apart a 440ppi from a 320ppi screen tech must keep moving forward, if tomorrow someone show a 600ppi screen and people say "looks exactly the same as the 440ppi screen" then is time to stop increasing resolution, until then tech must keep advancing

RankoSD

Lol. I have a 4S (not my main phone). Even if I stick my face close to it to try and make out pixels, I can't, so why the need for a much higher ppi? I'm not even a big fan of Apple lol.

Because smartphones pixel hunting is the new thing to do, this is slowly getting out of control.
Nobody could tell the difference between 1080p and 720p <6" using the phone the way it is meant to be used.
People will start buying them just because of the numbers, and not because they can see or experience the difference, and because it's cool thing to say that you have a full hd phone I guess.
Until I see some breakthrough in the battery technology department I'm not interested in the phones that can pull barely a day without recharging...

Because smartphones pixel hunting is the new thing to do, this is slowly getting out of control.
Nobody could tell the difference between 1080p and 720p <6" using the phone the way it is meant to be used.
People will start buying them just because of the numbers, and not because they can see or experience the difference, and because it's cool thing to say that you have a full hd phone I guess.
Until I see some breakthrough in the battery technology department I'm not interested in the phones that can pull barely a day without recharging...

Monster Cables needs to get into the PPI game. There's gold in them thar hills.

nib95

Banned
Because everyone that has seen the HTC screen says that the difference is noticeable, so as long as yiu can tell apart a 440ppi from a 320ppi screen tech must keep moving forward, if tomorrow someone show a 600ppi screen and people say "looks exactly the same as the 440ppi screen" then is time to stop increasing resolution, until then tech must keep advancing

That may have very well been because of screen size, colour accuracy, brightness, white accuracy, contrast and black levels and nothing to do with the ppi differences themselves which would be unnoticeable at normal use and even close inspection.

That may have very well been because of screen size, colour accuracy, brightness, white accuracy, contrast and black levels and nothing to do with the ppi differences themselves which would be unnoticeable at normal use and even close inspection.
from what i recall, the human eye can't see the distinct difference of individual pixels at > 287 PPI, but the additional details from a higher PPI are still a benefit to the overall viewing. i remember pointing this out when people were complaining about the Galaxy Nexus...

tino

Banned
One word: FLAC.

How many people care or notice the difference?

That was before "Da Man" figure out tieing the newest technology shit to your phone contract.

Sooner or later we will get phone resolution that's higer than your HDTV.

If you can get a phone with 1280X720 resolution or a phone with 1920X1200 resolution for $50 more on contract, which one would you choose?

That looks really nice and the screen text must be crazy crisp...

I'd love an unlocked one to play around with, otherwise please put it on a nexus. Also, it looks a lot sleeker than the S3 to me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
One word: FLAC.

How many people care or notice the difference?

Can I get my entire MP3 collection turned into FLAC without any effort on my part? No? Okay then.

• Text
  • Call
  • Check email
  • Listen to audio
  • Take pictures

I use my phone for plant/animal identification. For me, the increases in screen and camera quality are the biggest factors in choosing a new phone. I keep a good 10GB of field guides on my phone, and am constantly being sent photos to identify.

I also upgrade my phone the day I am able to without paying a penalty. I already pay an inflated monthly rate for a subsidized phone. I might as well stay in as nice of a phone as possible. Not the mention the inevitable decline in battery life and overall quality as the phone ages.

Also, new OS upgrades often lock out old hardware. I am on an iphone 4 at the moment, and do not have Siri or turn by turn navigation.

As for prices, I paid $300 for my 32GB iphone 4. Two years later the iphone 5 is the same price.

And are you really failing to see a difference between this:

33770450-2-300-DT1.jpg

released in late 2009

and this:

HTC-J-Butterfly-is-a-5-inch-1080p-monsterphone.jpg

I hope they come with a bigger screen premium version of this. I need 5.5" to compete with Note 2. 5" is barely bigger than S3. >_>

Oh and dat battery life. Do HTC phones have replaceable batteries?

1080p in phones... but 4K in TVs is useless/worthless!

On topic:
WHOA! I hope they are able to achieve decent battery life with it.

I'm not saying that technology shouldn't move forward, but that resolution is absurd.

Think of how much battery that will suck away, not to mention the graphics required to run a game in native res.

As for PPI, unless I see it in person, I can't comment on it. However, many people can't even/don't even care about the difference between 1080P and 720P on their TVs, so IDK why the typical consumer would care about this.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I hope they come with a bigger screen premium version of this. I need 5.5" to compete with Note 2. 5" is barely bigger than S3. >_>

Oh and dat battery life. Do HTC phones have replaceable batteries?

This one might be sealed.

Also, make sure you hold a Note II in your hands...it's slim, but no GS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom