• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive and SteamVR hands-on impressions

Kevin

I think what they've presented at GDC, encompassing all their technologies (operating system, GPU hardware, API, input solution, headset, PC settop boxes, etc), presents the single best consumer VR solution around. Oculus is playing catch up to valve until they move to inside-out positional tracking as far as I'm concerned (and to their credit, they will eventually move to inside-out tracking).

What valve did these last few days was basically asserted their dominance of VR. They understand VR very well.

You have no idea how much I want this. Will buy day one most likely. Probably will be stuck with my old GTX 590 so I won't be able to play the best stuff at max settings but it should be enough for at least some smaller stuff. A good start anyways. Not enough money to upgrade my GPU at this time.

jmga

I think what they've presented at GDC, encompassing all their technologies (operating system, GPU hardware, API, input solution, headset, PC settop boxes, etc), presents the single best consumer VR solution around. Oculus is playing catch up to valve until they move to inside-out positional tracking as far as I'm concerned (and to their credit, they will eventually move to inside-out tracking).

What valve did these last few days was basically asserted their dominance of VR. They understand VR very well.

What API and GPU hardware are you talking about?

Krejlooc

Banned
What API and GPU hardware are you talking about?

Valve outlined the VR functionality of Vulkan, the next generation of OpenGL, of which they are on the board of. And most of AMD's VR solutions for Liquid VR came from Valve's recommendations.

Oppo

Can you explain how it is inside-out tracking? Looks like the lighthouses are laser emitters, and the headset/controllers are fitted with retro reflectors, so the lighthouses would also effectively be the sensor. So it seems to still be outside-in, just with the 'light source' coming from the base station rather than directly from the headset or controllers.

Proper inside-out would mean the headset calculating position which it doesn't look like it is doing.

this was my read of it as well.

Seanspeed

Banned
From the Anandtech article:

I also inquired about the interoperability between software created for the HTC headset and the Oculus one but the comments pointed towards locking in the software to each device.

That doesn't sound good.

Man

So what's the verdict so far? How does Valve's VR stuff compare to Oculus's offerings so far?
Personally I wouldn't have expected it last week but Oculus now ranks #3 on my desired VR HMD list after Morpheus and Vive.
Oculus doesn't have a standard controller. The only thing it might be dominant within is a slightly higher res screen at this point compared to competition.

Though Oculus are the only ones doing proper Mobile VR at this point.

georly

Can mods please tag you as the vr dude or something.

Good to hear. I'm almost positive, at this point, that i'll be going the valve route, when it's feasible to do so. Doubt i'll be an early adopter, but they have their stuff together.

Kevin

If Valve really pushes this product and service via Steam (which they will), I can totally see them gaining a much larger marketshare then Oculus. Especially if they release their product before Oculus gets a product released. Even MORE so if Valve pulls out Half-Life 3 or some other big ticket game to market the product with.

Valve is in the position to "win" here in my opinion but it's still a bit to early to call it. I'm definitely excited and competition should help the market with better quality products.

Death2494

Who knows what Facebook will do though?

article said:
With multiple VR solutions hitting the market, Valve assured that developing games and porting them across other VR platforms is relatively painless and speedy, which is good news for developers, as Oculus, Sony, and Samsung are pushing their own VR initiatives.

So where does this leave Microsoft's Hololens?

Seanspeed

Banned
If Valve really pushes this product and service via Steam (which they will), I can totally see them gaining a much larger marketshare then Oculus.
Among gamers, I think this is most likely. When people say 'competition is good', I'm getting the vibe that what they really mean is 'I want Valve to win'. That company just has way too much of a following among PC gamers to be overcome.

But whatever. As long as we get good VR.

Sendou

Among gamers, I think this is most likely. When people say 'competition is good', I'm getting the vibe that what they really mean is 'I want Valve to win'. That company just has way too much of a following among PC gamers to be overcome.

But whatever. As long as we get good VR.

But Valve winning is more or less PC as a platform growing using VR as means to that end. Does it really matter in the end if it is Oculus, HTC or someone else drawing the longest straw? I recall Valve sharing tech with Oculus in the past too and whatever Lighthouse exactly is will probably help Oculus too. Any following Valve has is well deserved.

Seanspeed

Banned
But Valve winning is more or less PC as a platform growing using VR as means to that end. Does it really matter in the end if it is Oculus, HTC or someone else drawing the longest straw? I recall Valve sharing tech with Oculus in the past too and whatever Lighthouse exactly is will probably help Oculus too. Any following Valve has is well deserved.
I'm saying that I don't think people are being entirely honest when they say 'competition is good'. What they mean is 'I'm glad this company I like is coming in and I'm gonna root for them'. Its like in sports, people say they want good competition and good games, but nobody ever complains if their favourite team dominates.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm saying that I don't think people are being entirely honest when they say 'competition is good'. What they mean is 'I'm glad this company I like is coming in and I'm gonna root for them'. Its like in sports, people say they want good competition and good games, but nobody ever complains if their favourite team dominates.

The reason I've always been high on valve is because they enable me to be competitive. I wouldn't have a career in VR if it wasn't for valve, in all honesty.

I like valve because, more than any other company, they seem intent on empowering me. And for good reason - their monetization is predicated on my own success.

Deadstar

I'm saying that I don't think people are being entirely honest when they say 'competition is good'. What they mean is 'I'm glad this company I like is coming in and I'm gonna root for them'. Its like in sports, people say they want good competition and good games, but nobody ever complains if their favorite team dominates.

Well said and I completely agree. In terms of VR competition will definitely be good to bring down the costs of these headsets. What excites me personally about Valve's headset over oculus' is that it comes with some way to interact with objects with each hand. Oculus can definitely develop something similar if it takes off with Valve's headset and that's a good thing. I've said it in other threads and I'm sure it's not cost effective but eventually I want to have gloves that breath enough to not give you sweaty hands, but made of a material that would allow a full range of movement but made so that the material could tense up when holding something like a bat in a virtual environment, to give the illusion of touch.

This sounds cumbersome and prohibitive for someone like me. I'm not a PC gamer so the kit alone is a cost barrier. And I won't be able to hang two black boxes up in my living room. Won't fly with the wife, and sounds like some work. Add the headset and two controllers and I'm looking at a couple grand, right?

I have a PS4, so while Morpheus might not be as cutting edge, it's a more appealing entry point - especially for something we aren't really sure will actually become a "thing." I have a lot of faith in Valve, though, and their presence in this space can only be a huge plus.

I might be missing something, but how do you walk around and not walk into something in your room? I assume most people aren't going to have an empty room dedicated to this.

Exuro

I might be missing something, but how do you walk around and not walk into something in your room? I assume most people aren't going to have an empty room dedicated to this.
Your walls show up in the demo/game as a grid if you get too close.

EVIL

The positional stuff is optional. But yeah, just clean up your shit, move over a table or whatever. the HMD will display the bounds of the area via in game wire frame mesh that appears when you come close to the outside bounds. So in no time, you get used to the space thats available. Just dont have any pet kittens running around. (in other words, clean up your shit before jumping in VR, or dont use the lighthouse towers.)

FinKL

Here's another from an android enthusiast site Phandroid
http://phandroid.com/2015/03/04/htc-vive-review/

The HTC Vive was the single most exciting thing at Mobile World Congress 2015 and when it’s all said and done, it’s very possible that the HTC Vive could be the tech product of the year. We’ve been served up so many subpar VR “experiences” but none of them have touched what HTC has created. It’s the most immersive, vivid, and entertaining VR experience on earth. And it will be available later this year.

I am pretty sure you are encouraged to have an empty 15 x 15 ft of space. obviously you cant have tables and chairs within that space.

Is that realistic though for the average person? People had enough trouble trying to find enough space for Kinect.

viveks86

Is that realistic though for the average person? People had enough trouble trying to find enough space for Kinect.

15x15 is the upper limit. If you want to walk around with the headset on, it is the maximum area that the sensors can cover. It doesn't necessarily have to be there, unless the application actually uses all that space as input. The issue people had with kinect was that it required a certain minimum distance to work. I believe even that was drastically reduced with the xbox one.

Nzyme32

So the universe page now says

PC gaming is expanding
stay tuned for more information this week about a new family of products designed to bring the best games and user-generated content to exciting new destinations

Not sure why the change was necessary

Krejlooc

Banned
These titles seem sort of clickbaity. Nobody knows what the current prototype of the Oculus Rift is, except for those inside Oculus.

I'm personally waiting for reviews of launch hardware before making any judgments.

They are comparing oculus' last demoed prototype to valves last demoed prototype. Oculus showed their latest proto at ces.

If your point is that oculus has unseen technology, i guarantee you valve has other, more experimental protos unseen as well.

Nzyme32

These titles seem sort of clickbaity. Nobody knows what the current prototype of the Oculus Rift is, except for those inside Oculus.

I'm personally waiting for reviews of launch hardware before making any judgments.

It's pretty obvious they are talking about the most recent publicly testable version, just as the HTC Vive isn't a final product but just the current testable version.

Seiru

Banned
They are comparing oculus' last demoed prototype to valves last demoed prototype. Oculus showed their latest proto at ces.

If your point is that oculus has unseen technology, i guarantee you valve has other, more experimental protos unseen as well.

The author hasn't tried Crescent Bay (at least that's what I gather from him mentioning every other prototype except Crescent Bay).

Top Bottom