• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive and SteamVR hands-on impressions

I didn't realize that you needed to place a bunch of trackers all over your room for this to work.

I think that just made me lean a bit more towards the Oculus right now. That has just the one camera, and if I want to pick it up at take it somewhere it's not such a hassle.

bunch?

2 trackers vs 1 camera

Man

I didn't realize that you needed to place a bunch of trackers all over your room for this to work.
I thought the same as you ('oh its crappy un-precise electro-magnetism etc') until I learned how it works. Why you should prefer this 100x to a camera is because a camera is easily occluded. Lighthouse maps the whole room with invisible dots. With this the whole room becomes the reference point. Even if your right side is occluded it will still track the dots to your left and above etc. It also brings the whole room virtually into your application.

Lighthouse is (compared to Oculus/Morpheus external camera tracking):
+ Basically never occluded, will always track perfectly
+ Gives you a huge tracking space (15x15 feet)
+ More accurate (much more reference points)
+ Maps your surrounding environment so it can be brought into the VR applicatin

Woah hold on.

I didn't catch the part where it maps your room -- I thought the bounding boxes were based on a hard 15x15. I guess it makes sense that it does your room but damn.

Now I need to dedicate a room to this.

Are you sure it's only two? That video showed a little box with dozens of them.

If it's only two then it's not a problem at all.

Huh? Why would it matter if it had a bunch of sensors?

You have two boxes that fill your room with IR dots that you can't see. You have two wands that look at those dots, and one headset that looks at those dots.

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding

What's the appeal of having a room with finite space set up for VR movement when no game is going to conform to that room size anyway?

Valve's VR rendering session liveblog: http://www.roadtovr.com/valve-talks-advanced-vr-rendering-live-blog-5pm-pst/

img_54f7ad646cc7a.jpg

img_54f7ad63eeded.jpg

Razorback

Huh? Why would it matter if it had a bunch of sensors?

You have two boxes that fill your room with IR dots that you can't see. You have two wands that look at those dots, and one headset that looks at those dots.

I thought those sensors inside the boxes where individual sensors that you had to take out and place all over your room.

So it's just the two boxes then? That's a relief.

IMACOMPUTA

In the anandtech article it says that the only wire is a mini HDMI.
If lighthouse just paints the room with IR, and the vive uses built in cameras to see the IR everywhere, how does this data get transmitted back to the PC if only an HDMI is plugged into the vive?

Forgive me if I got something wrong. I've been trying to keep up, but everything is so crazy today.

viveks86

IGN impressions

The novelty of Portal’s humor certainly made it a memorable demo, but in making it feel natural and normal to pick apart a robot inside a fictional factory, Valve proved to me that VR really works, and more importantly, matters to the sort of experiences I want to have. The controllers are simple but versatile. Much as I dread the cost of owning them, I wanted to try all of my demos again (Aperture Science in particular, because it’s a world I adore so much).

I wanted to see how else I could change things, what I might have missed, and to generally just exist in a game world in a way I never have. Other VR initiatives are succeeding in their own right, but I can’t think of anything that’s had such a profound effect on my own existence as Valve and HTC’s Vive.

engadget said:
though there were a couple of times when the accuracy seemed a little off and I picked up the wrong thing by mistake.

I wonder if this is an issue with having 3 inside-out tracking devices that need to be tightly co-ordinated.

I wonder if there is any kindof calibration required to the lighthouse system to work.

Because if you have the headset pointed in one direction, and both wands pointed in different directions, with no intersection of the image they're receiving, and no information on the size/dimensions of the room, I don't see how these devices could accurately position themselves with respect to one another.

So any word from GDC impressions that it's better than Crescent Bay? I didn't see any direct comparisons from the impressions I've read (non-specific about models or just comparing to DK2). Tech and gaming press can tend to be hyperbolic or inaccurate and there's no frame of reference for people describing experiences.

The motion controllers sound interesting. I assume that because they're selling Lighthouse as a standalone, you can buy the controllers separately?

jediyoshi

So any word from GDC impressions that it's better than Crescent Bay? I didn't see any direct comparisons from the impressions I've read (non-specific about models or just comparing to DK2).

Watch out, Oculus: HTC Vive's VR experience is astonishing (hands-on) (CNET)

Do you want to know what HTC Vive is like? I'll tell you. It's an amazing experience, a jaw-dropping demo, a journey that even trumped my recent demo with Oculus Rift Crescent Bay just two months ago.

Bsigg12

Can these two cameras be like kinect where it tracks your hand movements instead of using controllers?

The Lighthouse cameras? No. They are meant to track the headset from my understanding. The controllers have a camera on them that are looking back at the headset to provide positional tracking for your hands.

IMACOMPUTA

The Lighthouse cameras? No. They are meant to track the headset from my understanding. The controllers have a camera on them that are looking back at the headset to provide positional tracking for your hands.

This is wrong. The cameras exist in the HMD and the controllers. Lighthouse just shoots IR dots all over the walls as reference points for said cameras.

belmonkey

I don't suppose there's anything to be said about "Ansiotropic filtering may be 'free' if you are bottlenecked elsewhere"? Is that why AF seems to be "free" in most PC games?

QaaQer

I think what they've presented at GDC, encompassing all their technologies (operating system, GPU hardware, API, input solution, headset, PC settop boxes, etc), presents the single best consumer VR solution around. Oculus is playing catch up to valve until they move to inside-out positional tracking as far as I'm concerned (and to their credit, they will eventually move to inside-out tracking).

What valve did these last few days was basically asserted their dominance of VR. They understand VR very well.

Thanks for all the stuff you bring here. I look for your posts.

The reason I've always been high on valve is because they enable me to be competitive. I wouldn't have a career in VR if it wasn't for valve, in all honesty.

I like valve because, more than any other company, they seem intent on empowering me. And for good reason - their monetization is predicated on my own success.

Regardless of your company affiliation thank you for your detailed analysis these last few weeks.

MrGerbils

So what do they do about object clipping? Like in the ship demo when the whale comes up to you, if you lean forward does your in game "camera" just clip through and show you inside its head?

Or in the kitchen demo, can you just walk straight through the cupboard?

I would guess the answer is yes, but I would assume that we'd see the same sort of wrappers we've seen for the Oculus for something like this as well, enabling us to play games not specifically designed for VR. Like, Skyrim on my DK1 was pretty amazing, crap res. and all.

Bl@de

I am pretty sure you are encouraged to have an empty 15 x 15 ft of space. obviously you cant have tables and chairs within that space.

And with that it would be already dead for me. I won't dedicate a room for VR and pay for that. Not going to happen. Also, have fun explaining this to your significant other.

Top Bottom