• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the games are already are down sampled, all the VR headsets recommend something like 130% or 140% render targets, which is like ~3Kx1600p on Rift/Vive.

Oh really? Did not know that. Was playing the Gallery and the aliasing was really distracting.

Locked 90fps, 980ti not working that hard, my instinct is to start upping the visuals.

Reallink

Oh really? Did not know that. Was playing the Gallery and the aliasing was really distracting.

Locked 90fps, 980ti not working that hard, my instinct is to start upping the visuals.

Yea IQ varies dramatically across games, Gallery (and others) may very well not be super sampling much (if any) to stay under the 970 recommendation. Some Unity games you can hold Alt + click and it will launch a config gui. Never used it though, so I can't say if it actually applies any changes you make.

Sky Chief

So my headset won't turn on. I was trying to play Space Pirate Trainer but there was some really bad visual issues so I restarted my computer and now the displays in the headset won't turn on. Any ideas?

Make sure the base stations are plugged in. I was demoing the Vive to some friends yesterday and the headset stopped working, turned out my buddy had hit the power plug on one of the lighthouses and it had come out just enough to shut everything down while dodging in VR.

Yea IQ varies dramatically across games, Gallery (and others) may very well not be super sampling much (if any) to stay under the 970 recommendation. Some Unity games you can hold Alt + click and it will launch a config gui. Never used it though, so I can't say if it actually applies any changes you make.

Huh, I'll try that out. Thanks!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Why are these selling on Ebay for like twice retail?

HTC site says they are in stock.. is that not true?

:edit: nevermind, I see it says June 2016 for delivery.

Exuro

I hope I get tracking info tomorrow. So many people that got charged last Sunday like I did are supposed to get theirs tomorrow, and here I am still waiting on tracking. :(

IMACOMPUTA

YES! It's like a flash instant. Almost like Déjà vu and funnily enough a Déjà vu in The Matrix.

Yeah I got the phantom cord too but that went away. There seems to be quite a few different sensations that stay behind. Some lasting longer than others.

I've been having some VR in my reality episodes too...

I was doing the dishes and I have a faucet head that pulls out of the base and acts as a sprayer. I pulled it out and put it back but didn't fully put it back in, so it was kind of drooping. In my brain, the faucet was in the right place and the rest of the kitchen was tilted... and then I got really dizzy.

This shit is bad for us. lol

wwm0nkey

Phantom VR is totally a thing and I am suspecting it is effected by having physical interaction in the games. I got mine from Rift+Leap motion since my hands&fingers were in the game. I think the Vive will probably cause a few more instances of this due to the VR immersion effect already being a lot better than DK2 due to screens and refresh rate but walking around and moving your entire body is really going to cause a lot of these Phantom VR feelings. Buckle up guys lol

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The cable is too damn short is part of the problem. How can you have over 3m x 3m room scale the cable should be at least 7m it's damn ridiculous

I think they expect your PC to be at the middle of a boundary, not the corner, that way cable has its full length in either direction to move.

Why are these selling on Ebay for like twice retail?

HTC site says they are in stock.. is that not true?

:edit: nevermind, I see it says June 2016 for delivery.

Yeah, it's super misleading to say "in stock". They should just say "backordered" to make it super clear to people instead of sticking it in the middle of the other bullet points on the order page.

I think they expect your PC to be at the middle of a boundary, not the corner, that way cable has its full length in either direction to move.

Yeah I was using the middle. 3m from side to side and 2m up (taking into account being at the end of the 3m and turning around your going to need more slack). I'm still in the boat that I would rather have wireless than better display quality imo: Until someone figures out a better rigging ability the wire will be an issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I was using the middle. 3m from side to side and 2m up (taking into account being at the end of the 3m and turning around your going to need more slack). I'm still in the boat that I would rather have wireless than better display quality imo: Until someone figures out a better rigging ability the wire will be an issue.

I would be ok with the current resolution with wireless. I'd still like better optics though.

Foveated rendering + compositing hardware on headset + Timewarp handled on the headset I think would combine to allow a low enough bandwidth for wireless and offset some of the latency impact, *and* allow for higher resolution panels.

artsi

IMO the most important thing would be to have better optics with as large sweet spot as possible. Things like foveated rendering are pretty useless if everything to the sides is blurry anyway because of crappy lenses.

I'd be more immersed if I was able to look at stuff moving my eyes, not my head to keep the sharp spot right in the middle.

Qassim

The thing I notice most day-to-day is not the resolution, it's the optics. Obviously resolution is next in line, but the optics cause me the most annoyance.

Increasing the FOV is the big improvement I'd like to see, which obviously is part of the optics. I'd take the same current pixel density with an increased FOV over higher density and the same FOV.
Also making the headset, strap and cable as unobtrusive as possible, which HTC are lagging behind a bit on at the moment.

MAX PAYMENT

I plan on eventually picking up a vive, but I have a question maybe an owner can answer.

Do the controllers not have inputs that allow normal joystick-style movement?

Most of the games I've seen have you in a stationary position or move by point and click.

I honestly think that looks awful. Would a normal FPS game not work on the vive due to controller limitations?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I plan on eventually picking up a vive, but I have a question maybe an owner can answer.

Do the controllers not have inputs that allow normal joystick-style movement?

Most of the games I've seen have you in a stationary position or move by point and click.

I honestly think that looks awful. Would a normal FPS game not work on the vive due to controller limitations?

Just like a Steam controller, the touch pads could easily be used for this purpose. I love the Steam controller (I hate using josticks for FPS games since im a m+kb guy), once you get used to it - it is quite accurate.

Unfortunately, a lot of games aren't currently providing this type of movement because it makes some people feel sick/unstable. Personally, it doesn't bother me so I like to have it as an option.

A few games like Windlands and AltSpace allow you to walk with the touchpads. I think Ethan Carter VR doesn't even use the Vive wands if I remember correctly.

wonderpug

Neo Member
cant tell if thats sarcasm

Don't give $400 to someone with no feedback who is offering an item for half the MSRP and a third of the going rate.

Oh god, are you looking at the one from 昭通市, 云南省 posted by the guy who'se been an eBay member for just a month?! Run!

whats the latest order date thats been shipped out that we know of?
There have been a few out-of-order ones, ranging from a few hours to a couple of days

The majority of sequential shipments are right around the first hour mark. Expect today/tomorrow should finish up most first day preorders

Tain

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but what are the current top software suggestions? A friend is getting his Vive tomorrow and I'm getting mine in May. He's getting Audioshield for sure, and probably Vanishing Realms, but I was looking to grab a couple supplementary things for myself to try out. I'm thinking:

Holopoint
Space Pirate Trainer
The Gallery (if he doesn't grab it)

Any other must-haves? Obviously we're planning on grabbing all the free stuff. We've all tried VR (he has a Rift CV1 as well), is TheBlu still a big huge deal in that case?

So I'm sitting here in my astronomy class, and all I can think of is how awesome it would be to observe the formation and death of a star, from the Cosmo dust up to a planetary nebula ripping apart.

Do uh, do we have that yet? No? Why not?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I'm sitting here in my astronomy class, and all I can think of is how awesome it would be to observe the formation and death of a star, from the Cosmo dust up to a planetary nebula ripping apart.

Do uh, do we have that yet? No? Why not?

We have Universe Sandbox which is kind of cool. I don't know if you can have this kind of evolution for a star, but you can build up solar systems with planets going into orbits around stars and then gravity engaging two solar systems into a spiraling dance to death which ends up in creating a nebula.

Decided to get a LeapMotion which shipped out today. I don't expect to be able to do anything too substantial with it but all of the cool tech demos and implementation here and there got me to take the dive on it. I could see it being an essential part of the tech in the future especially for mobile and the more mainstream crowd.

Hopefully my Vive ships today too.

Onemic

We have Universe Sandbox which is kind of cool. I don't know if you can have this kind of evolution for a star, but you can build up solar systems with planets going into orbits around stars and then gravity engaging two solar systems into a spiraling dance to death which ends up in creating a nebula.

Does space engine have VR support?

Lunar FC

Me waiting for fedex to arrive.

maxresdefault.jpg

How rigid does the mounting for the Lighthouses have to be? All this talk of wobbling I'm starting to rethink my setup. One of my lighthouses will definitely be mounted to the wall, the other I'm planning on mounting to an extension arm to reach beyond the top of my vertical blinds.

what tripods are you guys using for the lighthouses? I cant use any permanent mounting solutions.
I have tripods, will report back tomorrow how well they work. Some say they work perfect, a few say they wobble. But there have been reports of jitter/wobble issues with at least 1 of every setup solutions out there, so I'm willing to give it a try (will have to setup in at least 5 different places in the next few months so tripods were worth a shot)

dry wall supports? Are those permanent mounting installations? I cant drill anything into my walls

No, they're the adjustable floor-to-ceiling poles you can use for a rigid, non-permanent location for a mounting clamp. They usually have pads on the top and bottom to prevent marring your floor and ceiling. Other than looking ugly, they appear to be one of the best ways of setting up the lighthouses without drilling holes.

Onemic

No, they're the adjustable floor-to-ceiling poles you can use for a rigid, non-permanent location for a mounting clamp. They usually have pads on the top and bottom to prevent marring your floor and ceiling. Other than looking ugly, they appear to be one of the best ways of setting up the lighthouses without drilling holes.

What are some good ones to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom