• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah, it has more than 1, but my 2nd screen is a projector that I hook up to via HDMI. My 980ti only has 1 HDMI port :(

Get a DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort cable to connect to the breakout box for the Vive, as it supports it, and that will free up your HDMI slot. I ran into the same thing, as I run a projector, too.

Exuro

Oh shit, I just got an email from vive I was sure would be another poll or some bullshit... But no, it says notify my bank the charge is incoming, my order is about to be finalized.

How much longer gaf?
Well if it's anything like mine you'll get charged, wait 5 days, get the charged removed, and then still wonder where your tracking is over a week later...

Its aggravating waiting for this thing. :(

IMACOMPUTA

Guys, I think we're having a breakthrough with my tracking issue!
And yes, it is related to the radio tower next to my house. A helpful engineer at Valve that I reached out to is going to run some tests on his end to help figure this out.

And yes, it is related to the radio tower next to my house. A helpful engineer at Valve that I reached out to is going to run some tests on his end to help figure this out.

You're going to have to line your walls with tin foil!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Get a DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort cable to connect to the breakout box for the Vive, as it supports it, and that will free up your HDMI slot. I ran into the same thing, as I run a projector, too.

Word of warning:

I've tried 2 different display port to hdmi adapters (display port from card to hdmi on breakout box) and neither of them worked. Strangely enough, I tried a display port to hdmi cable (just one end dp and one end hdmi) and it worked great.

Also, I have a strange setup where the hdmi went out on my 970, so I need to switch between the vive and my tv which only takes hdmi, thus not just using a dp-minidp for the vive.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Well if it's anything like mine you'll get charged, wait 5 days, get the charged removed, and then still wonder where your tracking is over a week later...

Its aggravating waiting for this thing. :(
Oh no... Don't say these things

You can downsample Space Pirate Trainer as well. Hit Escape while in-game and you can adjust resolution scale in the steam VR options.

It murders performance though and I haven't seen much improvement visually. Seems like a lot of the aliasing in that game is shader aliasing

Well, damn! Know of any others? Maxing out Gallery was a nice bump in visuals.

So I went to the extent of obtaining an Oculus Home version of ADR1FT as I couldnt get the Steam version to run with Revive and it stilllllll doesnt work T_T

Word of warning:

I've tried 2 different display port to hdmi adapters (display port from card to hdmi on breakout box) and neither of them worked. Strangely enough, I tried a display port to hdmi cable (just one end dp and one end hdmi) and it worked great.

Also, I have a strange setup where the hdmi went out on my 970, so I need to switch between the vive and my tv which only takes hdmi, thus not just using a dp-minidp for the vive.

Yeah, the displayport from my card to the mini displayport on the breakout box has worked great. Never tried an adapter. Good to know.

Is valve going to disable radio tower?

Also I can not stress this enough that holoball is awesome. I have already played it for 2 hours today.

elohel

More I read about this the more I think that it will be the winner of vr

And I was totally thinking ps4 would do it

Am hype

taco543

better-call-saul-hero-4.png

Thanks!

Sucks that this will essentially make the Vive cost an extra hundred bucks though.

I mean, you can spend less if you want to roll a more custom, "hacked together from parts you found at the hardware store" setup. This is just one of the more convenient "buy it and go" solutions.

viveks86

Well, damn! Know of any others? Maxing out Gallery was a nice bump in visuals.

Most of the others are unity games, so you should be able to get the startup menu. But I haven't seen any game where changing resolution would result in supersampling. It would just change the resolution of the display mirror.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
More I read about this the more I think that it will be the winner of vr

And I was totally thinking ps4 would do it

Am hype

It's definitely the current winner.

However, everyone I've talked to who have tried both the Vive motion controllers and the Oculus Touch say Touch is amazing and way better than the Vive solution.

I can't wait to try them myself... Now to see if Oculus can make room scale work as well as it does on Vive.

2 questions

1. Does the Vive work with a Sapphire HD7850?
2. Will the Vive be available for purchase at stores like BestBuy?

Your video card really won't meet the minimum requirements, at least not comfortably. With VR you can't just skate by with a low framerate. You *might* be able to play some things, but I would heavily expect to upgrade.

Compsiox

Banned

How close is it to your house exactly? I have one like 3 city blocks away at the place I'll be staying in the summer.

IMACOMPUTA

After watching the season finale of Better Call Saul, I actually already thought of this! haha

Oops! Yeah, this.

How close is it to your house exactly? I have one like 3 city blocks away at the place I'll be staying in the summer.

image1_edit77zax.png

This is the picture I sent to the Valve engineer.

And here is some info he sent me:

I looked up that radio station, it operates at 1.44 MHz, 5 kW during the day 270 W at night. The light signals Lighthouse uses are modulated at 1.8432 MHz and the sensors have some sensitivity to all signals from about 1 MHz to about 8 MHz, it is possible the RF from the radio station is getting into the sensors – but we will need to do some analysis to work out if that is the problem. It would take very strong signals at RF to get into the sensors which are designed for detecting modulated light and ignoring everything else to avoid this problem, but your location means you might be seeing field strengths large enough.

Let me do some experiments here to see how much common-mode signal at 1.44 MHz the headset and base stations can take. The error I see in the logs might be a red herring because of your unique type of interference. It may be the base stations are fine but the headset sensors are being overwhelmed. You mentioned the controllers track fine, which supports this actually – I’d expect the cabled things to be effected but the small and floating controllers to be much more immune. If this is true then a simple RF choke in the power lead of your computer (and everything connected to the mains via it, like the power supply for the Vive) might fix your problem completely.

I attempted a test tonight where I tried to have the headset on at sundown (when the radio transmission strength would be reduced). Sundown was at 750pm. I used the headset around 730pm (tracking issues) but was interrupted and unable to check it again until 745pm (no issues).

I'm fairly confident this is an RF interference issue from the radio tower.

Exuro

Yeah I got charged on the 17th and mine still hasn't shipped. I'm hoping tomorrow or Wednesday before my patience runs thin. ;)
Same. I've managed to rearrange my living room to make around 14x13ft of space and have the spots picked out for the lighthouse units. Just waiting for the stupid thing to ship. :(

Plumpman

Same. I've managed to rearrange my living room to make around 14x13ft of space and have the spots picked out for the lighthouse units. Just waiting for the stupid thing to ship. :(

I'm extra prepared on my setup too. Now just waiting for it to arrive curled up in a corner rocking back and forth... :p

ToD_

Like some others above, I just got an email from HTC letting me know they are about to finalize my order. I notified my credit card company for the incoming charge and hope things will go smooth.

That being said, I have made zero preparations for the Vive's arrival. In fact, I haven't quite decided what room to install it in. My office, where my computer resides, just meets the minimum recommended room size. I have other rooms in my home, but I can't see myself moving my computer back and forth between rooms very often. And once the lighthouses have been mounted to the walls in the office, I don't know how appealing it is to keep taking them down when I want to move rooms.

So as of now, the choice is between a permanent setup in the office, where I can play all seated games and the occasional minimum size roomscale (I'm sure I'll hit the walls), or another room where I can use it occasionally but have much more space.

Compsiox

Banned
After watching the season finale of Better Call Saul, I actually already thought of this! haha

Oops! Yeah, this.

image1_edit77zax.png

This is the picture I sent to the Valve engineer.

And here is some info he sent me:

I attempted a test tonight where I tried to have the headset on at sundown (when the radio transmission strength would be reduced). Sundown was at 750pm. I used the headset around 730pm (tracking issues) but was interrupted and unable to check it again until 745pm (no issues).

I'm fairly confident this is an RF interference issue from the radio tower.
Wow that's pretty insane. I wonder how many people this is going to affect over the lifetime of the Vive. I also wonder if this summer is going to suck for me...

I hope they get a firmware out or some DIY solution out.

IMACOMPUTA

Wow that's pretty insane. I wonder how many people this is going to affect over the lifetime of the Vive. I also wonder if this summer is going to suck for me...

I hope they get a firmware out or some DIY solution out.

Well, he seems to think a couple RF chokes will solve the issue. I'm going to buy some tomorrow.
70065423.jpg

kaskade

Seems like a bunch of people got emails for May orders about the authorization for a charge. All different dates too. Early April and throughout March. Hopefully I get one of those soon since I ordered 4/4

Wooooooooooooo just got my pre-auth email from HTC!!!! Happy fun VR times are almost here!

For reference I ordered a couple hours after the preorders went live, and was placed in the early May shipping window. Looks like things are on schedule finally. Time to get my space ready.

Karak

Man, I fucking love tilt brush. You can really let your imagination go crazy. :)

I am under NDA but I can say you have seen nothing yet in that particular space. I have never had a single game absolutely turn me around on an entire tech before. But...some big stuff is coming.

personally, I can't wait for UE4 VR to drop. I suck with 3D level editors. Even making a simple Goldeneye map is tough for me. Their VR interface looks so smooth and so easy to use. I wish I were using it right now.

I hear you. It's why I specialize in systems design over level design. Building things initially to scale with no reference is something that isn't the easiest for me. In VR, I'd get instant feedback and understanding, which will help me a lot.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I got the pre-order authorization as well. VR is creeping up on me sooner than I thought.

I was planning on waiting for Pascal, but what do you guys think? Should I just get a 980Ti now and then upgrade to 1080Ti in a couple years or so? I've never had a top tier graphics card in my life so even the 980Ti would be a huge step up. The rest of my PC is top tier and all ready (upgraded last week)

wwm0nkey

I got the pre-order authorization as well. VR is creeping up on me sooner than I thought.

I was planning on waiting for Pascal, but what do you guys think? Should I just get a 980Ti now and then upgrade to 1080Ti in a couple years or so? I've never had a top tier graphics card in my life so even the 980Ti would be a huge step up. The rest of my PC is top tier and all ready (upgraded last week)
What are you running now?

I am under NDA but I can say you have seen nothing yet in that particular space. I have never had a single game absolutely turn me around on an entire tech before. But...some big stuff is coming.

Oh reary? I shall impatiently await more info.

Edit: Anyone else want Time Crisis in vr? Or House of the Dead? I'm dying for some old school on-rails shooters.

Wooooooooooooo just got my pre-auth email from HTC!!!! Happy fun VR times are almost here!

For reference I ordered a couple hours after the preorders went live, and was placed in the early May shipping window. Looks like things are on schedule finally. Time to get my space ready.

Same here and I ordered in April 12th when Oculus kindly let me know that my new shipping estimate would be early June (ordered that 38 minutes into the preorders). Crazy how in the end I will be getting the Vive after all.

Also I can not stress this enough that holoball is awesome. I have already played it for 2 hours today.

Yup Holopoint is pretty cool and fun. I played a bit tonight and worked up a sweat. I was hesitant to buy at first based on the screenshots and video on the Steam store page but all the reviews are very positive (and the price ain't bad :)).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Oh shit. Was reading this thread brimming with jealousy, checked my email, got the per authorization email a couple hours ago!

Hell yes.

Crazy, as I slept through the Vive preorders so made mine like 6 hours late. Was up trying to order the Rift minute 0 (though didn't get through until Minute 43) and my Vive is getting here first. Rift is estimated at late May early June.

Tempted to just cancel my rift at this point, but at the same time, I don't want to miss exclusives, and it sounds as if it's more comfortable for seated games like Eve or Elite.

Arulan

Oh shit. Was reading this thread brimming with jealousy, checked my email, got the per authorization email a couple hours ago!

Hell yes.

Crazy, as I slept through the Vive preorders so made mine like 6 hours late. Was up trying to order the Rift minute 0 (though didn't get through until Minute 43) and my Vive is getting here first. Rift is estimated at late May early June.

Tempted to just cancel my rift at this point, but at the same time, I don't want to miss exclusives, and it sounds as if it's more comfortable for seated games like Eve or Elite.

Congrats. I was in the middle of a move, and made it a point to wake up early and wait for pre-orders to open up. I started to get a little worried when the HTC store wasn't updating, but quickly found out that Steam's front page had a link directly to the right page.

As for the Oculus Rift. If you can afford it, enjoy both, but exclusives are already playable on the Vive, and the situation will likely only get better moving forward.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Congrats. I was in the middle of a move, and made it a point to wake up early and wait for pre-orders to open up. I started to get a little worried when the HTC store wasn't updating, but quickly found out that Steam's front page had a link directly to the right page.

As for the Oculus Rift. If you can afford it, enjoy both, but exclusives are already playable on the Vive, and the situation will likely only get better moving forward.

Thanks. Yeah, debating it. Are they both the same as far as capability to run the same multimedia stuff? 360 videos etc?

Also, any issues with running long sessions with seated games like cockpit sims? Comfort wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom