• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
holy shit minecraft is nuts. I literally just squealed like a child when I popped out of my house to fix a block and a bloody creeper came around the corner. Even hiding behind my closed door those things are scary - you're looking eye to eye with them.

and the first night, as I was just digging a hole in the wall was spooky as hell until I managed to make a torch. The darkness is just creepy as hell.

derFeef

holy shit minecraft is nuts. I literally just squealed like a child when I popped out of my house to fix a block and a bloody creeper came around the corner. Even hiding behind my closed door those things are scary - you're looking eye to eye with them.

and the first night, as I was just digging a hole in the wall was spooky as hell until I managed to make a torch. The darkness is just creepy as hell.

How are you playing? Manual or teleportation? Does mining get tiresome?
Not sure why but first thing I want to try is Minecraft in this thing, hah. And I am not even that into Minecraft.

Krejlooc

Banned
so UE4 has a function to get hand orientation for tracked objects, but on the vive controller this orientation is basically parallel to the orientation handle. I'm using it to fire a gun at the moment, but it feels more like you're holding a TV remote.

Ideally, I want to get an orientation perpendicular to the orientation I get from the function, so that it fire perpendicular to the vive controller handle. However, when I do this in UE4, the orientation of my shots goes all wonky, specifically at certain orientations.

Anybody have any experience with this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How are you playing? Manual or teleportation? Does mining get tiresome?
Not sure why but first thing I want to try is Minecraft in this thing, hah. And I am not even that into Minecraft.

teleporting - seems ok so far as you have a limited distance you can travel. not sure I have strong enough VR legs to use manual walking around, although if they support 3rd person I might give it a go for a test.

I tried to mine manually but I don't know how. Just hold the trigger to mine like normal and its fine.

Krejlooc

Banned
well, I found sort of a work around for my problem, but I want to know how to fix it with more granularity.

If I take the roll, pitch, and yaw of my rotation orientation, I can pass that to a built in function called "Get Up Vector" which will return a vector 90 degrees "up" along my pitch axis from my forward vector, which means if I hold the controller straight up, my vector is running behind me. If I then multiply that vector by -1, I can make my vector run forward in front of me.

Thats fine and all, but how is "Get Up Vector" calculated? My problem seems to be that the orientation I get from UE4 with "Get Hand Tracked Position and Orientation" is world space, not local. How does "Get Up Vector" calculate? It seems to be based on local space. I'd like to be able to do that kind of transformation manually.

Any ideas?

Kysen

Did anyone in the UK have to specifically call their bank about an upcoming Vive charge on their account? I just got the payment processing mail and am wondering if it is worth it to just wait and see if my bank contacts me about the payment.

I used a credit card.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did anyone in the UK have to specifically call their bank about an upcoming Vive charge on their account? I just got the payment processing mail and am wondering if it is worth it to just wait and see if my bank contacts me about the payment.

I used a credit card.

I think most of the rejected CC payments were actually in UK. So calling your bank would be a great idea.

elyetis

Ideally, I want to get an orientation perpendicular to the orientation I get from the function, so that it fire perpendicular to the vive controller handle. However, when I do this in UE4, the orientation of my shots goes all wonky, specifically at certain orientations.

I don't have any motion controller to experiment in UE4, but couldn't you just apply -90 Pitch on the Rotator (?) it return ?
Well now that I say that I actually remember that ( at least in blueprint ) UE4 doesn't allow you to have a pitch over 90 and bellow 90 ( something about gimbal lock ? )... something that actually kind of block me in one of my small experiment since last week.

Krejlooc

Banned
You really want to be asking this on the UE4 forums.

Short answer is that rotations are weird.
(also, you don't want 90 degrees anyway. No guns have 90° between handle and barrel)

Thats why I want granular control, I dont want a 90 degree turn between handle and barrel.

I don't have any motion controller to experiment in UE4, but couldn't you just apply -90 Pitch on the Rotator (?) it return ?
Well now that I say that I actually remember that ( at least in blueprint ) UE4 doesn't allow you to have a pitch over 90 and bellow 90 ( something about gimbal lock ? )... something that actually kind of block me in one of my small experiment since last week.

thats what I've been trying to do but I get all sorts of weird unintended effects. Sometimes my rotation and pitch get switched for certain orientations, sometimes it'll work fine but everything is coming out 90 degrees to the left (ilke the bullets exit the side of the gun), sometimes it'll work just right except for certain angles (which looks like when the pitch is around 90 and -90) where the shots will shoot out at seemingly random angles only for those orientations.

There is surely something simple I am missing here.

ordered mine March 30, got my pre-authorization email last night as well

I debated cancelling it for a few weeks now but having received that, the hype is real again

so UE4 has a function to get hand orientation for tracked objects, but on the vive controller this orientation is basically parallel to the orientation handle. I'm using it to fire a gun at the moment, but it feels more like you're holding a TV remote.

Can't help, but if it's any consolation pretty much every game I've played where the Vive controller is being replaced with a gun/hand/anything that it's exactly the same shape as the controller has done it pretty poorly. I think it's something people are still getting to grips with (no pun intended).

Spookie

I used a credit card.

Nationwide politely told me to fuck off we can't do anything for you. So if it bounces I'm stuffed. :/

Knch

teleporting - seems ok so far as you have a limited distance you can travel. not sure I have strong enough VR legs to use manual walking around, although if they support 3rd person I might give it a go for a test.

I tried to mine manually but I don't know how. Just hold the trigger to mine like normal and its fine.

Get close to the block, extend your right arm and waggle it like Steve would.

Ilmyr

Will there be a Vive in white?

It would be nice to have all those components and cables in white, so they are less visible inside a living room.

IMACOMPUTA

well, I found sort of a work around for my problem, but I want to know how to fix it with more granularity.

If I take the roll, pitch, and yaw of my rotation orientation, I can pass that to a built in function called "Get Up Vector" which will return a vector 90 degrees "up" along my pitch axis from my forward vector, which means if I hold the controller straight up, my vector is running behind me. If I then multiply that vector by -1, I can make my vector run forward in front of me.

Thats fine and all, but how is "Get Up Vector" calculated? My problem seems to be that the orientation I get from UE4 with "Get Hand Tracked Position and Orientation" is world space, not local. How does "Get Up Vector" calculate? It seems to be based on local space. I'd like to be able to do that kind of transformation manually.

Any ideas?

I feel like almost all implementations of the vive controller as a gun have felt wrong. It sounds like what you're describing as a problem is actually how I'd prefer it!

Kysen

I think most of the rejected CC payments were actually in UK. So calling your bank would be a great idea.

Nationwide politely told me to fuck off we can't do anything for you. So if it bounces I'm stuffed. :/

Well last time my bank contacted me when I bought my T300RS from a site that didn't have a valid security certificate. I told them it was fine and they let the payment through. I received the goods the next day, without issue. Edit i'm with Natwest.

elyetis

thats what I've been trying to do but I get all sorts of weird unintended effects. Sometimes my rotation and pitch get switched for certain orientations, sometimes it'll work fine but everything is coming out 90 degrees to the left (ilke the bullets exit the side of the gun), sometimes it'll work just right except for certain angles (which looks like when the pitch is around 90 and -90) where the shots will shoot out at seemingly random angles only for those orientations.

There is surely something simple I am missing here.
I'm still at work so I couldn't give it a try, but maybe https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/61931/how-can-i-avoid-gimbal-lock-with-rotations.html might help you if it does come from the pitch/gimbal lock.

Onemic

Minecraft already has VR support? I thought it was an Oculus exclusive?

Zalusithix

Will there be a Vive in white?

It would be nice to have all those components and cables in white, so they are less visible inside a living room.

Yeah, I don't see them making multiple versions of a niche product. Maybe in the future when the market is many times larger. For now, you'll have your black and like it! =P That and I'm not sure they could make it a uniform non-black color. The sensors need a material that transmits the IR light. I'm not sure if plastics pigmented with light colors like white pass IR correctly. I've never seen an IR cover anything other than black / near black. With black filters, it'd be more a polka-dot Vive than a white one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

its a mod - minecrift, which was originally made back in 2013 for the DK1 but they've kept on top of it. For the vive it has teleportation and uses the motion controllers to aim and mine/attack. Works fantastically well - when I'm standing up I just about fit into a two block high space (2 metres) and a block feels about waist high.

asker

its a mod - minecrift, which was originally made back in 2013 for the DK1 but they've kept on top of it. For the vive it has teleportation and uses the motion controllers to aim and mine/attack. Works fantastically well - when I'm standing up I just about fit into a two block high space (2 metres) and a block feels about waist high.
It's really well made but I feel the teleport mechanic detracts from the experience. Luckily you can switch to proper movement with Right Ctrl + R if you can stomach it.

dumbo

"Minecraft windows 10 edition" (based on the win10 mobile version, which is closed source and has no mods) will have Rift support.

Minecraft (the java version that practically everyone uses on PC) has a mod/hack called minecrift (which supports the rift), which in-turn has a hack to support the Vive.

"Minecraft windows 10 edition" (based on the win10 mobile version, which is closed source and has no mods) will have Rift support.

Minecraft (the java version that practically everyone uses on PC) has a mod/hack called minecrift (which supports the rift), which in-turn has a hack to support the Vive.

Yah. It's awesome. Still has some bugs, but is cool.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's really well made but I feel the teleport mechanic detracts from the experience. Luckily you can switch to proper movement with Right Ctrl + R if you can stomach it.

is it only keyboard controls? I don't think I could stomach standard minecraft controls in first person VR. Maybe a luckey's tale style third person control with a smoothed out camera. I know what you mean about it spoiling the game because its so easy to jump about - but honestly the whole place is so different compared to playing on a monitor I think its ok

Onemic

Is there any chance that an R9 270 can run the Vive decently? At least in non gaming applications like virtual desktop or in older Vorpx enabled titles like Doom 3 or HL2?(....And Minecrift) Since Im waiting for Pascal's release before upgrading my GPU it's very likely I'll get my Vive 1-3 weeks before pascal is available for me to buy(My estimated shipping time is May). CPU is an i5-6600K

Wow, that's pretty sweet. Mineccraft seems like it would be absolutely amazing in VR.

asker

is it only keyboard controls? I don't think I could stomach standard minecraft controls in first person VR. Maybe a luckey's tale style third person control with a smoothed out camera. I know what you mean about it spoiling the game because its so easy to jump about - but honestly the whole place is so different compared to playing on a monitor I think its ok
No no, well thought out controls. You hold the trigger to move towards your crosshair, and grip to jump. Still use the Vive controllers!

Exuro

Shipping notice! Finally I can switch my obsession over to the dhl tracking page instead
Oh sweet. *Checks status* ...still no tracking. Feels like being the last kid picked in dodgeball class, only the next class comes in and they start picking them instead. Come on htc. :(

Vive. Supposedly I have set up the first interview when it gets through its current stage. Maybe 3 months.

Is it VR CAD? It better be VR CAD. We are planning on building a house and I would love to build it in VR first! Would be amazing for visualization and figuring out what we do and don't want from the start. Especially since the type of house we are building is a little out there...

Cdammen

Nice, got my pre-auth today. Already notified my bank and am now awaiting the transaction and hopefully, soon after that, my shipping email. Exciting! My Steam wishlist is only full of VR games. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a gaming thing this much since the NES.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is it VR CAD? It better be VR CAD. We are planning on building a house and I would love to build it in VR first! Would be amazing for visualization and figuring out what we do and don't want from the start. Especially since the type of house we are building is a little out there...

You should look into these guys:

http://www.irisvr.com/

They are supporting pretty much every HMD from Cardboard through Vive.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

The teleport mechanic also makes it so you never get hungry... I guess hunger depletion is based entirely on walking.

Figuring it out on my own. I just started with a completely blank UE4 project and began from there.

UE4 takes care of a lot of the abstraction for you. Your default character pawn's camera will automatically inherit the VR camera if you've chosen the option. You have to add a SteamVR component to your pawn so that it'll track around the room. You also add a couple of motion controller components - one for each hand - and can bind them to a mesh to represent your limbs. There are 2 different SteamVR state machines that return information you need - one for head tracking component, and one for hand tracking component (which handles both left and right). From these state machines you can get real world position and real world orientation, as well as control steamVR directly (turn on and off chaperone, interface with vive controllers, etc). Your camera position is separate from your pawn position, but you can get relative position by using the location of the pawn vs the real world location of the camera (or hands).

So, like, I'm not really starting out with an FPS template. I've just got my head and hands tracked, and I've been designing concepts around that. Like, I don't have to program "aim" into my game - I just look at which direction my hands are facing and use that as a forward vector.

VR game development is really very different from normal game development, and there are little tutorials or guides that explain how concepts work, both programmatically and functionally. Like, there is no drag and drop VR teleportation system yet, so I had to create one from scratch. It involved some trajectory calculation, I wound up actually projecting a small sphere mesh that I gave rubber properties around the scene, and as soon as it touched a ground object it would stick and spawn a camera location for the viewport on my hand.

Thanks for the detailed info :)

That sounds like it allows for a lot more freedom than a traditional template would, making it closer to a sandbox for experimentation which is exactly what I'm looking for.

You've gotten me pretty intrigued with messing about in UE4 now. I planned on remaking my VR room as a quick and easy location to mess around with, but I wasn't sure where to begin with implementing features in terms of starting with a template or just jumping in and learning through experience, which is how I'm planning to go now.

Lurch666

I used a credit card.

I didn't call my bank (Lloyds).
the charge did drop off my cc the day before my Vive was shipped and got charged later.

Krejlooc

Banned
started this late saturday night/early sunday morning:

PvvVKbF.png

My pew pew now shoots at the correct angle

jrWxPGe.png

Teleport ball trajectory works now

sBib21B.png

Teleport ball itself

Next up, finish the GE map.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The teleport mechanic also makes it so you never get hungry... I guess hunger depletion is based entirely on walking.

I definitely got hungry quite quickly because I stressed about finding food and my spawn area was super hilly with no wildlife. But maybe it was a lot less than usual. Maybe they should translate your movement into however many steps it'd take based on distance teleported (and jumping up) and take that off your hunger.

TBH though after a little while in minecraft hunger shouldn't really be a problem, even if you're forced to eat shitty bread because there is nothing else around.

Really, any shooter with cover is now going to feel like Time Crisis in VR. Hover Junkers feels quite a bit like Time Crisis when you're avoiding enemy fire.

You don't necessarily have to be on rails. Hover Junkers gets away with making your room a craft that you fly around the world, but it works just as well with normal budget cuts style teleportation.

Sorry, I literally meant I wanted TC or HotD. Lol Or something that plays pretty similarly to them. I.e., varied enemies and environments/stages, fast paced, boss battles, cheese dialogue, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom