• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive pc specs requirement & SteamVR performance test tool

W6Ib.jpg

i7 930 is at 3.8ghz

Spinifex

62b0036828.png

I was planning on upgrading my GPU soon to match my recent CPU upgrade. I kinda felt like splurging on a 980ti, but I think I'll wait for Pascal. Even so, the main reason for such a substantial upgrade is for VR, so I think I'll need to see compelling software before I can justify paying $1500 for a new GPU and Vive.

Unless you have like a 270 that result looks very wrong.

Don't expect them to implement standard Sli or Crossfire in VR games...
Uh, yeah you're wrong there.

Vr is where SLI will finally be redeemed -- you just have each gpu render one of the two screens. That way all the slowdown/judder from the two trying to sync with each other goes away.

Edit: Okay you got it haha.

jediyoshi

Recorded fullscreen version of the test, for some reason overlays don't work with running at 4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JJEzh771nM

So how does the Vive and controllers all connect through one USB port?

Video goes over HDMI. Base stations are wireless and don't connect to/interface with the computer. The tracking system is more efficient so it wouldn't need as much bandwidth as if it were transferring imagery like the Oculus camera. Enough bandwidth leftover for the controllers.

UnrealEck

I looked and it seems the Vive and Rift have essentially the same sort of screens. Both OLED, both the same resolution, both the same refresh.
Do they differ anywhere in how games will look on them?

Durante

I looked and it seems the Vive and Rift have essentially the same sort of screens. Both OLED, both the same resolution, both the same refresh.
Do they differ anywhere in how games will look on them?
From impressions the general consensus is that the Vive has a slightly larger vertical FoV, while Rift has a slightly larger horizontal FoV. Of course, this makes sense when you consider the intended use cases (room scale vs. seated). Anyway, it's a very subtle difference, and many people who tried both didn't even mention it. The major difference is the tracking.

UnrealEck

The major difference is the tracking.

Which from impressions seems to favour the Vive, right?
Speaking of seated vs standing too, this is swaying my decision in favour of the Rift. But I'm also thinking some point down the line most games will be functioning on either headset anyway.

What's with the resolutions too? I assume they need to render for each eye individually. So does that mean games are being rendered twice at 1080x1200 per frame?
I saw in the test part of the screens were blacked and I'm guessing that part isn't actually rendered at all. Is this maybe 'multires shading'? (maybe that's a question for Andy from nVidia)

Speaking of seated vs standing too, this is swaying my decision in favour of the Rift. But I'm also thinking some point down the line most games will be functioning on either headset anyway.

What's with the resolutions too? I assume they need to render for each eye individually. So does that mean games are being rendered twice at 1080x1200 per frame?
I saw in the test part of the screens were blacked and I'm guessing that part isn't actually rendered at all. Is this maybe 'multires shading'? (maybe that's a question for Andy from nVidia)

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/valve/2015/Alex_Vlachos_Advanced_VR_Rendering_GDC2015.pdf

4th and 8th slide. Oculus is I think similar (when it comes to the pixesl/sec numbers), but Valve recommends rendering at higher res compared to what Oculus does? They don't even have TimeWarp?

WTH, not avaliable in my region ?

FFS Valve.

It's available, just not officially out yet, thus no store page.

click

Durante

Yes. I think for tracking that's not controversial.

I think that's very likely.

Games are likely rendered at somewhat higher than the native resolution of each display, but yes, once for each eye. (In more advanced / future implementations, at the same time for both eyes)

The black parts are unused after optical transform and masked out (using the stencil buffer) to improve performance.

jediyoshi

It's not really versus, per se. Seated already works identically on the Vive (if not not better due to less occlusion) as it would on the Oculus. You could literally place the Vive base stations on the opposite corners of the desk in front of you and be done with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpWz_LcPXrI

Is there a list anywhere of what games will be available at the Vive's launch in April? (not the two pack in Iphone games)

Neither of the pack-ins were ever anything other than VR headset games.

elelunicy

I got to 23k frames when SLI is forced through driver. This seems to be very light on the CPU as I was getting 250fps and yet the CPU usage still only hovers around 25%.

g0KIQoB.png

Nessus

Hrm, my GTX 780 is somehow scoring worse (all the way to the left in the red) than some people's 670s on here. But I haven't reset my computer in a while.

Not terribly important; I know I'll have to get a new graphics card when I eventually get a VR headset.

UnrealEck

(In more advanced / future implementations, at the same time for both eyes).

Looks like a great area for SLI and Crossfire to step in on.
Rendering the left on one GPU and the right frame on the other.

I have the Rift on order. Think I might keep it over the Vive but I might change my mind. By then though, Vive's orders will probably be pushed into summer.

The Vive overall, on paper looks like a better headset bundle at launch. Peripheral-wise.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Free USB ports is like the best feature.

Yeah, I never get this. The whole point of USB is its modularity. You can turn 1 USB port into 127 by using hubs. If somebody uses 3 USB 3.0 ports it doesn't mean you need 3 USB 3.0 ports. You need 1 USB 3.0 port and a hub for $20 that turns it into 8 USB 3.0 ports. It's like nobody knows how USB works anymore. I read about people building a new PC because they don't have the required number of USB ports and I want to smack my head against the wall.

artsi

Yeah, I never get this. The whole point of USB is its modularity. You can turn 1 USB port into 127 by using hubs. If somebody uses 3 USB 3.0 ports it doesn't mean you need 3 USB 3.0 ports. You need 1 USB 3.0 port and a hub for $20 that turns it into 8 USB 3.0 ports. It's like nobody knows how USB works anymore. I read about people building a new PC because they don't have the required number of USB ports and I want to smack my head against the wall.

Yep, I really doubt any of the devices uses the full 4.8 Gbps bandwidth of USB3, so you can use a good quality hub (Palmer said it's possible).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's not really versus, per se. Seated already works identically on the Vive (if not not better due to less occlusion) as it would on the Oculus. You could literally place the Vive base stations on the opposite corners of the desk in front of you and be done with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpWz_LcPXrI

Neither of the pack-ins were ever anything other than VR headset games.

thats impressive tracking. although doesn't OR CV1 have LEDs on the back to aid tracking the headset when you're facing away from the camera?

I just hope the delay for oculus touch gives them time to really revisit the tracking - they need to launch with something that can do room scale - not necessarily to the fidelity of the Vive, but something usable

Nzyme32

What resolution are games going to be running at when using the Vive?

both vive and the rift are 2160x1200

They render at a higher resolution than native. Back at GDC they were saying they render at 1.4x for several reason, but that ends up at - 1512x1680 x2 - but then they cut out rendering of non-visible stuff, so it will be lower than that. Not sure if this is still applicable now though, since that was mentioned almost a year ago

I don't get why oculus specs are so damn high. Maybe they're basing a minimum level to be something like Eve Valkyrie? Also does anyone know if the vive is picky about its USB 3.0 chipset like the oculus is?

I don't get why oculus specs are so damn high. Maybe they're basing a minimum level to be something like Eve Valkyrie? Also does anyone know if the vive is picky about its USB 3.0 chipset like the oculus is?
Prooobbably because VR is intensive. Like, just VR by itself.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Convenience. Should I buy a HDMI splitter too while at it?

Don't get me wrong, nobody will buy a HMD based on the number of port used, but convenience is a nice thing to have.

artsi

They're not any higher, it's just a different type of test.

Oculus has certain minimum specs that are guaranteed to work and they'll check your PC's components if they match.

An older gen CPU can work fine if it's fast or overclocked, but the test can't guarantee it so it'll fail.

Valve's test does a benchmark to actually evaluate how well your PC will perform.

Top Bottom