• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive to be released in April 2016

That seems quite convenient, suggesting a hardware change is required for CV1, in which case it can't be a part of DK2 in that time frame - ie the old CV1. How will developers be able to utilise such a breakthrough if they can't have it, and how do they fit the testing and application / design to the new CV1 in such a short time frame?

Something like the headset being wireless wouldn't need developers to adjust their games at all.

I find it hard to believe. There was already criticism over the partial launch idea in 2015 and the rest in early 2016. Now that has changed to 7000 DK2 in Jan and then a different CV1 launch in late April 2016 - the 7000 sounding like the total of the partial launch that would have happened (unless they are also somehow providing more to the existing devs in some sort of exchange for the older kits). And now in this claim, she says the discovery was two weeks ago. That seems quite convenient, suggesting a hardware change is required for CV1, in which case it can't be a part of DK2 in that time frame - ie the old CV1. How will developers be able to utilise such a breakthrough if they can't have it, and how do they fit the testing and application / design to the new CV1 in such a short time frame?

I am as sceptical as you, believe me: HTC haven't exactly been trustworthy during 2015.
Still, their CEO doens't only involve their team in the "discovery" but also Valve's. And they're suposed to demonstrate it at CES, so I don't see how this could just be PR damage control BS.

Nzyme32

Something like the headset being wireless wouldn't need developers to adjust their games at all.

I am as sceptical as you, believe me: HTC haven't exactly been trustworthy during 2015.
Still, their CEO doens't only involve their team in the "discovery" but also Valve's. And they're suposed to demonstrate it at CES, so I don't see how this could just be PR damage control BS.

Good points. Wasn't really thinking of that kind of stuff.

I think it's related to the front-facing camera. They've said it's not accessible to developers to use, which basically means it's for system use only. They haven't outlined what they're using it for, I think the delay was much related to this piece of tech not being quite ready yet. Probably some kind of depth camera for object/obstacle detection.

Oculus so far has committed to shipping CV1 with no built-in camera, so that has the potential to be a big difference in these competitors.

UrbanRats

I think it's related to the front-facing camera. They've said it's not accessible to developers to use, which basically means it's for system use only. They haven't outlined what they're using it for, I think the delay was much related to this piece of tech not being quite ready yet. Probably some kind of depth camera for object/obstacle detection.

Oculus so far has committed to shipping CV1 with no built-in camera, so that has the potential to be a big difference in these competitors.

If they were to have some AR integration, that would be a pretty big deal.

Pif

Banned
I wonder if the breakthrough is eye-tracking.

I find it to be the only detail I can complain about Oculus/SamsungVR.

Well, they did outline its use, it was for the player to see their room around them when not doing VR stuff without having to take off the headset. So like, when you want to drink from your soda or talk to your kid or something. They said it couldn't be used for AR because it was just a pure 2D video feed. Plus it is supposed to detect movement and alert you, so you don't walk on your dog.

If they were to have some AR integration, that would be a pretty big deal.

Ok woah, so they can't do pass-through AR. But, if the headset included even a single RGB camera with high res, and also the rumored depth sensor that might be in the CV1, you could use the headset to map out your playspace in full high res 3d. Like, if you were playing VR at a desk in your bedroom: In real life you put on your headset at your desk, and after previously mapping out your room with the cameras of the headset, you see your room through the headset exactly as it is (Or was when you captured it with photogrammetry). You could then implement games and experiences within that space, and it would be just as good as seeing it with your own eyes. The tracking is so accurate I think you could move around in that space, and as long as you hadn't moved things since it was captured, it'd be like you're seeing through the headset.

They posted this a few days ago

CV1Guo-U4AAdwap.png:large

Top Bottom