• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive to be released in April 2016

Skyrim

Banned
99% of people will not be able to find the room to take advantage of Vive's full scale room tracking.

I'm baffled that HTC has focused so much on something so niche.
See the thing with Vive you can do the sitting and standing thing if that's all the game wants.
But it also has the capability of walking around.

Nzyme32

This too. Right now VR needs to be focused on sitting/standing with combined arm tracking/standard joystick and button control mechanics.

I hate this notion that people should be limited in their approach to a new medium, where no one even knows what the best solutions are yet, let alone the "killer app", best game types or methodologies for playing / experiences etc.

"Room Scale" also include a pretty significant difference, which is reduced occlusion and thus the ability to not be forced to only have a forward facing experience. PSVR will not be able to track your controllers well when you turn around and your body is in the way. Head tracking should be fine though. The same is true for the Rift. Both PSVR and the Rift can get around this when using a traditional controller or controllers that do not need to be tracked or buying another camera and setting it up at the opposite end of the room (actually don't think you can do this with PSVR), at which point you're entering "room scale" anyway.

Having the capability to do all of modes of play, room size, choice of sitting standing, leaning and walking is obviously the most ideal, which HTC's does offer. The price is the bit that will really determine if it is worthwhile or not, and if the experience of a room is so much more engaging it may be enough to push people in that direction as costs go down. Regardless, VR will head in that direction eventually, so starting with it off the bat, no matter how small that starts, is a good thing to have as one of many solutions.

VVV Mars VG

I've tested OR, Ps VR and HTC Vive, with the Vive utterly blowing the opposition away.

Impressions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lik6aZgDYY

As for PS VR, it was good, felt more comfortable on the head than any other unit and despite the lower resolution it looked good, better than the DK2. More down to how the pixels were used, less of a screen door effect and no rainbow effect.

But back to the Vive, its the first VR headset which truly excited me as to the potential of VR, the immersion was on another level.

I've tested OR, Ps VR and HTC Vive, with the Vive utterly blowing the opposition away.

Impressions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lik6aZgDYY

As for PS VR, it was good, felt more comfortable on the head than any other unit and despite the lower resolution it looked good, better than the DK2. More down to how the pixels were used, less of a screen door effect and no rainbow effect.

But back to the Vive, its the first VR headset which truly excited me as to the potential of VR, the immersion was on another level.
Did you try Oculus Rift consumer version, or Oculus DK2?

Vive will struggle without a headstart simply because so few know of it, and Valve are unwilling to enter the exclusives and marketing arena like the competition. Price will also likely be higher.

No one should have expected Valve to do that, but I did think HTC would do it. But it seems the two are on the same wavelength. Not sure how this is going to work out seeing Oculus and Sony pushing their own stuff. Content is king, that will sell HW, not the promise of better tech and "we're in this together, no exclusives, people should do what they want, the market will figure it out" hippie bs. They're coming off as really naive.

Steam users seem like the most primary target. Getting others involved doesn't seem likely.

Like Steam HW. Seems Valve is totally fine with the current situation and they don't want to expand, capture new audiences.

does oculus even have a proper vision of what they want their release product to be? it seems to constantly change

It hasn't changed once since announced it. This is the final consumer headset:

Oculus-Controller.jpg

Motion controllers won't be available at launch (Q2 2016 I think they said).

Wreav

Banned
I don't think Frontier will ever backport ED on consoles for VR. They are pretty adamant about having cutting edge graphics, hence their insane requirements.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's not half the res. 1080x1200 per eye is about 2.5m pixels. 1920x1080 is 2.07m. So about 25% more pixels on OR and Vive

Thanks for the clarification. That explains a lot.

Reallink

I don't think Frontier will ever backport ED on consoles for VR. They are pretty adamant about having cutting edge graphics, hence their insane requirements.

You do realize ED is available for Xbone? Not really sure why they would have some immutable requirement for VR but no standard for the game as a whole.

Thats great. Adding it to op now

Also please ask a mod to edit that in the title.

edit: actually they posted a new post too

http://blog.htc.com/2015/12/remarkable-things-coming-soon/

On top of the multitude of games and experiences, we are also looking forward to the ‘Vive Unbound’ event in Beijing next week. This comes on the back of a successful roadshow in the US, where we have had the pleasure of engaging and inspiring more than 18,000 Vive enthusiasts in 20 cities and on 19 campuses. This journey will continue into the new year with a very exciting show at CES followed up by the Valve Content Showcase in Seattle.

Wreav

Banned
You do realize ED is available for Xbone? Not really sure why they would have some immutable requirement for VR but no standard for the game as a whole.

ED on the Bone is basically ED on PC on low settings, which is still too high for console VR.

I'll paypal you $5 if ED is ever supported by PSVR.

Eve Valkyrie, which to me looks just as good as Elite Dangerous, is coming to PSVR, so I dunno why Elite wouldn't. Note, though, the game's a timed-exclusive on XBox, so might be a while before it hits PS4.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2015/12/12/2003634579

HTC Corp’s (宏達電) stock price dropped 13.11 percent this week, dragged down by the company’s announcement that it was postponing the launch of its first virtual reality headset from this month to April next year.

“It was a tough decision to make, as we could have started to ship Vive this month, but after discussing it with Valve, our strategic partner, we decided that we can offer a more technologically advanced product if we postpone it for another quarter,” the Chinese-language Apple Daily quoted HTC chairperson Cher Wang (王雪紅) as saying in an interview published yesterday.

Wang said she understood the public disappointment over the delay, but the company made the decision to be able to offer buyers a better user experience.

HTC announced the Vive headset prototype, which it codeveloped with US-based video game developer Valve, in March this year.

HTC chief financial officer Chang Chia-lin (張嘉臨) has said that the company expects its non-smartphone segment, which includes the Vive headset, to contribute as much as 10 percent to overall revenues next year.

Pretty skeptical "technologically more advanced" is nothing more than hot air but we'll see. I mean what else could they really iterate on in such a short time frame aside from general form factor?

Yeah some people are taking that to mean some kind of hardware upgrade, when really it will just mean slightly more polished software or drivers or something.

Tagyhag

Do we know if we'll be able to use our own headphones with any of the headsets? The ones that come with them look weak.

Nzyme32

Do we know if we'll be able to use our own headphones with any of the headsets? The ones that come with them look weak.

You can do, or so I recall from previous talks. They are aware people like their own fancy headphones.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2015/12/12/2003634579

“It was a tough decision to make, as we could have started to ship Vive this month, but after discussing it with Valve, our strategic partner, we decided that we can offer a more technologically advanced product if we postpone it for another quarter,”

Could my ever fading dream of Valve bringing Biometric support to PC gaming become a reality in 2016? A man can dream

Thanks to the delay I am not quite sure which VR headset I should get now. I really wanted to buy the Vive, but now I am not so sure anymore...

Tagyhag

Thanks to the delay I am not quite sure which VR headset I should get now. I really wanted to buy the Vive, but now I am not so sure anymore...

Like any smart consumer, you should wait until they're both out and find out if there's any serious flaws or game changers that help you decide.

Remember, this is still the first generation of these things, shit can happen.

Like any smart consumer, you should wait until they're both out and find out if there's any serious flaws or game changers that help you decide.

Remember, this is still the first generation of these things, shit can happen.

I am sure this is the rational way, but I waited since the first DK of OR. First it was supposed to come out in the fall of 2013, then in April 2014 the first consumer version of OR should be released for people who want it.
Now it seems to be at the beginning of this year and it seems Oculus is "buying" quite a lot of exclusives.

I really cant decide and really dont want to wait.

Tagyhag

Lol I understand, I'm hyped as well.

Oculus is probably the safe bet, you could always just wait a week or 2 after its release and see what's up. If it's all good, just buy it and if Vive comes out and ends up being a vastly superior product, you can always switch teams by the 2nd or 3rd generation.

Lol I understand, I'm hyped as well.

Oculus is probably the safe bet, you could always just wait a week or 2 after its release and see what's up. If it's all good, just buy it and if Vive comes out and ends up being a vastly superior product, you can always switch teams by the 2nd or 3rd generation.

I'd also like to chime in and say this won't likely be a dire inventory issue like what happened with the devkits and they're literally going to start making the things after pre-orders go up, they've said in the past they plan on making this a very well supplied release (Oculus), so you could probably get away with seeing what's what in terms of impressions, comparions, reviews etc. Me? Completely impulsive and will buy whichever pre-order goes live first lol, so I can sympathize.

VR, 6 months from release, FOR FOUR YEARS!

What is this in reference to? Irregardless what it is I've always found the notion of vr not being here till a company slaps a "CV" onto a product as silly, we've had compelling experiences available since the dk1 hit doorsteps years ago. Call it a dk all you want, decent vr has been an option for those that wanted it irregardless if you were a dev, and its only gonna get better year after year.

Seems like there might be something on Monday

http://money.udn.com/money/story/5710/1372323-宏達電Vive-下周一亮相

google trans

HTC Vive debut next Monday
2015-12-12 00:02:02 Economic Daily News reporter He Peiru / Taipei

HTC (2498) announced a virtual reality (VR) products Vive will open in April next year after the sale, also launched a series of promotional activities, next Monday (the 14th) will hold a press conference the consumer experience, hold a summit in Beijing on the 18th, next year US Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Cher Wang, chairman and CEO, will also be published in the leading developer Vive latest version.

Outgoing December to the original listing Vive, postponed until April next year to market, causing market concerns. Cher Wang said, because there is a better hope Vive breakthrough technology, decided to postpone the listing season. Yesterday, HTC shares fell 2.6 yuan, to close at 69 yuan, foreign corporate tetrathionate sell.

HTC yesterday (11) issued an invitation, will be held "HTC Vive the first consumers to experience the world's press conference" on the 14th, is expected to announce a series of HTC Vive experience activities for consumers, for the upcoming pre-order in the next year in February, 4 officially started selling Vive warm.

Then in the 18th will be held in Beijing first "unlimited HTC HTC Vive Unbound Developer Summit" hosted by Cher Wang himself, will invite global virtual reality in the relevant industry, gathered in Beijing to share a global vision of virtual reality and potential, Starting next year, 7,000 groups around the world continue to provide Vive developer version.

It is understood, CES next year, and Cher Wang will also be published in the second generation Vive leading developer version, in addition, important activities Sundance Film Festival, Mobile World Congress, SXSW South by Southwest music festival and GDC Game Developers Conference and so on will continue to experience activities.

might be just showing existing content, otherwise they would have talked about it in tandem with the dev conference, CES and the Valve Content Showcase

I am sure this is the rational way, but I waited since the first DK of OR. First it was supposed to come out in the fall of 2013, then in April 2014 the first consumer version of OR should be released for people who want it.
Now it seems to be at the beginning of this year and it seems Oculus is "buying" quite a lot of exclusives.

I really cant decide and really dont want to wait.
Oculus hasn't really "bought" any exclusives, not in the way Microsoft and Sony moneyhat exclusives. All announced Oculus Rift exclusives so far (there are only a few) have been games that Oculus either developed themselves or that they paid to have developed, working with the developer directly. The closest thing to moneyhatting they've done is secure Eve Valkyrie as a pack-in game, but that game is in no way exclusive, it's been announced for just about every VR device. Oculus also said they'd be fine with people modding their games to work on the Vive, so expect Vive owners to do that pretty quickly.

I doubt it'll be anything big, it's just an excuse for the delay, and an attempt to keep people from getting behind the competition. They'll announce something like "Lighthouses are now powered by rechargeable batteries". However, one of the biggest technical breakthroughs they could make would be for it to be wireless - in a room-scale VR system, that would be huge. But it would be rather hard to do without harming latency - with the Wii U Nintendo loses a frame of latency when wirelessly sending low-res video to its Gamepad.

Nzyme32

Anyone's guess. If this came from Valve I'd have a tiny bit more faith in the claim, but since it is coming from HTC, I'm a bit more dubious due to their precarious position and need to woo investors.

I can't think of anything particularly major they could do. With an April Launch date, it seems unlikely that they could do anything significant to the hardware side of things, which is what they are suggesting is a breakthrough. I think it is more likely Valve had something a while back they intended to save for future SteamVR partners but with their slow speed and amount of produced units, they have been forced to delay and now have to resort to this to get them back in the game. A total guess of course.

Nzyme32

Folowing this on /r/Oculus, people are going pretty wild on speculations. It's really hard to say: posponing like that is no light decision for a companyto make, so either HTC wasn't ready at all or they really did made a last minute breakthrough discovery. Either way, this means better hardware/software at launch.

I find it hard to believe. There was already criticism over the partial launch idea in 2015 and the rest in early 2016. Now that has changed to 7000 DK2 in Jan and then a different CV1 launch in late April 2016 - the 7000 sounding like the total of the partial launch that would have happened (unless they are also somehow providing more to the existing devs in some sort of exchange for the older kits). And now in this claim, she says the discovery was two weeks ago. That seems quite convenient, suggesting a hardware change is required for CV1, in which case it can't be a part of DK2 in that time frame - ie the old CV1. How will developers be able to utilise such a breakthrough if they can't have it, and how do they fit the testing and application / design to the new CV1 in such a short time frame?

UrbanRats

Folowing this on /r/Oculus, people are going pretty wild on speculations. It's really hard to say: posponing like that is no light decision for a companyto make, so either HTC wasn't ready at all or they really did made a last minute breakthrough discovery. Either way, this means better hardware/software at launch.

Well if there really isn't any breakthrough, they're gonna look like clowns come CES.

Top Bottom