• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huawei phones outside of China to lose Google Play services/Android Updates

Chittagong

Gold Member
This is fucking huge. If not reversed, Huawei is done in the West in smartphones.

I once was in charge of making a family of mobile phones on AOSP. In the end, we only released three (pretty successful) phones out of our slate of six. They just didn’t do that well, although people loved the hw. That thirst to be cucked by Google is real, AOSP phones have no chance in the West.

Also was headhunted to head the Huawei brand back in the day. That’d be a big “yikes” today as the kids would say.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Nope, the experience is superior on a browser. Fewer things to press to get to my favourites/music and it works with the screen off plus much more stable. Youtube app has crashed. All these devices have big enough screens for browser use.

Ever use new pipe? New Pipe is the best youtube app around. Download videos, audio, change speeds, background play. it s basically youtube red for free.

thief183

Well, looks like I finally solved my problem of detaching from google, Huawei will be, I just hope their new operative sistem is going to be ok.... I will enjoy my 5g while americans will still be on 4g :p

So any good huawei models that can be unlocked/reflashed with custom ROMs?

I saw that they stopped their unlocking service but wondered if there's a way to get some good hardware for cheap.

ndreamer

I saw that they stopped their unlocking service but wondered if there's a way to get some good hardware for cheap.
I may be wrong but i don't think you can unlock the bootloader ..
anything in the Mate and P series is well built, the cameras are impressive.

bucyou

and now no SD/microSD

giphy.gif

No they are not 'banned from sd standard'. They are no longer included in setting sd standards, anybody can use sd cards.

And further Lol, micro sd-charge port phone adapters exist. Can't be banned from 3rd party storage media. Phones come with plenty of inbuilt storage. Haven't been putting sd cards into my phones since they started coming with 64gb+ of storage alongside cloud saving.

Last edited:

Liftplus

And China has plans to ban Apple in China as retalitation. If it goes through Apple will loose around 30% of its income.

A 30% loss of income overnight and possible manufacturing ban would result in a 90% drop in share price.

China won't ban apple. Trade wars are dumb, it will simply sit Trump out. He's only got 5 years. Besides there's talk of US invasion/war in Venezuela and Iran. If those go ahead the trade war is quickly forgotten.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just got back from a trip to China, and let me tell you that their internet fucking sucks. Couldn't use google, as everyone already knows. But that also applies to their maps, and even basic searching unless you use the Chinese government approved stuff.

Don't support any of this with your money anymore.

waxer

Lol great firewall of China got you. Just use Microsoft products. You really should expand your life outside of Google.

Hope the trip went well. I really ejoy going their for holidays.

Ovek

7Member7
I just got back from a trip to China, and let me tell you that their internet fucking sucks. Couldn't use google, as everyone already knows. But that also applies to their maps, and even basic searching unless you use the Chinese government approved stuff.

Don't support any of this with your money anymore.

You went to China without using a VPN? :messenger_grimmacing_

CyberPanda

Banned

Earlier this month, the Trump administration added Huawei to a trade blacklist over national security concerns, effectively forbidding U.S. companies from doing business with the Chinese smartphone and telecom giant.

As the U.S.-China trade war continues to escalate, it has been suggested that China could retaliate to the Huawei ban by enforcing a similar ban on a large American company like Apple. However, even Huawei's own founder Ren Zhengfei admitted that he would oppose such a move, offering praise for the iPhone maker.

Speaking through a translator, Ren told Bloomberg that Apple is both the "world's leading company" and his "teacher":
That will not happen, first of all. And second of all, if that happens, I'll be the first to protest. Apple is the world's leading company. If there was no Apple, there would be no mobile internet. If there was no Apple to help show us the world, we would not see the beauty of this world. Apple is my teacher — it's advancing in front of us. As a student, why should I oppose my teacher? I would never do that.
Last week, investment firm Goldman Sachs warned that Apple's per-share earnings could take a 29 percent hit if China stops importing its products.

Ren appeared confident that Huawei can prevail despite the U.S. trade ban, suggesting that the company will ramp up its in-house technologies if necessary. Huawei already designs its own Kirin processors for some smartphones, but that relies on ARM, which severed ties with Huawei after the U.S. trade ban.

greyshark

80% of their smartphone revenue is in China. Why would they stop production?

Also the SD card ban was lifted. The news is completely unreliable.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
The WiFi, Bluetooth and SD alliances just let Huawei back in

Huawei Mate 20 Pro is back on the Android Q Beta Program

:messenger_ok:

My Big D

Banned
i hope they go bust
i love what mr. Trump is doing with China. China is the biggest threat the free world faces by far greater than Russia

Top Bottom