• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CcrooK said:
True that. Although if it gets the attention, they could implement it later. If there is promise of that, I'd pick up the game.

Considering this is pretty much Call of Duty 4 with improvements they would have to have gone out of their way to remove the server hosting feature and server browser. I doubt they will change their mind down the road and put those back in, but I will buy the game if they end up doing that.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I completely forgot about clan based matches, esports etc without dedicated servers. Now this really fucking sucks.

I didn't mind a TF2 shoutcast or even jumping on the server to watch the guys play while listening to the cast. I know Cod4 has a decent following when it comes to the same thing.

This is a clusterfuck.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Confidence Man said:
Next they announce their brand new ActOn™ subscription service. Get the most out of your Modern Warfare 2 experience with exclusive ActOn™ features such as matchmaking and leaderboards. *

Act On it!™

*Activision Online™ subscription required for online play.
Haha, you know it's true!

Loxley

Oh this is the "No LAN support in SC2" all over again. Great, another thing that needs to be complained endlessly about.

Don't get me wrong, as someone who plays CoD4 on the PC I can see how this is pretty inconvenient, but still. Great.

Draft

Loxley said:
Oh this is the "No LAN support in SC2" all over again. Great, another thing that needs to be complained endlessly about.

Don't get me wrong, as someone who plays CoD4 on the PC I can see how this is pretty inconvenient, but still. Great.
Your lack of outrage is duly noted :lol

zoku88

Loxley said:

Oh this is another person complaining about complaining again. Great.

Don't get me wrong, as someone who hears complaints all of the time, I can see how this can be pretty annoying, but still. Great.

J-Rzez

CcrooK said:
And a petition has started. I guess it's worth a shot.

http://www.infinityward.com//forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=121918

Infinity Ward, as noted by others here as well, has some of the worst community relations/respect in the business. The game is going to still sell disgustingly for those not in the know or just don't care. Funny enough, the other company that is far worse with community relations is Blizzard, yet another arm of Activision. And they haven't been well received lately either.

J-Rzez said:
Funny enough, the other company that is far worse with community relations is Blizzard, yet another arm of Activision. And they haven't been well received lately either.
Care to elaborate? I mean has there been some specific event where people were gushing a bit less love towards blizzard than usual?

Xeke

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Infinity Ward, as noted by others here as well, has some of the worst community relations/respect in the business. The game is going to still sell disgustingly for those not in the know or just don't care. Funny enough, the other company that is far worse with community relations is Blizzard, yet another arm of Activision. And they haven't been well received lately either.

That just isn't true. Activision has no power over what Blizzard does, they are equal in the relationship.

aznpxdd

J-Rzez said:

What game are you basing this on? Blizzard's interaction with their fan base is second to none. (I don't play WOW)

MedHead said:
Not really. Not buying it is another option. I mean, if you simply can't avoid playing the game, I suppose buying used will make you feel better; but if your purpose is to send a message to the fat cats at Activision, I don't think it'll do much for your cause. I guess it's fun to join in the fray, but proclaiming "I won't buy it... new" seems silly to me.

ledger-joker.jpg

It's not about the money, it's about sending a message.

Ogs said:
Would be perfect imo, everyone would be happy. 1 of the things i loved about MW on the 360 was that i was hooked up with a bunch of random peeps within seconds, and all we wanted to do was just play the vanilla game with a nice rotation of maps, thats what i and i guess many find to be the perfect online gaming session.

Modded up servers are absolutely great when you fancy some of that, but when a game turns into CS where nearly every server is a custom map with some annoying rules and nearly impossible to find a nice vanilla server with a nice variety of maps (not just fucking dust2), it ends up sucking hard for me (and my many friends that used to play it, and dont thanks to crap like this, downloading 100's of UT sounds before getting into a game because the admin wants people to hear HEADSHOT a hundred times, grrr).

BF2 has also turned into this, Infantry Only Karkand 24/7, great game ruined by a boring community (imo).

Also, have none of the guys in that show tried MW1 on the 360 ? To see how things run for themselves ? Before they go all melodramatic over it they should really look into how the consoles handle the P2P systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI

are you serious!?

that is so sad, I remember being in awe and losing hundreds of hours back in the day to 1942, vehicles played a huge role in that (and yes I missed the tribes bandwagaon, so for me it was like OMG awesome).

Puck

Banned
This is a really really really really really shitty move if it is true from my perspective.

I won't be able to rent a server and invite friends / random people onto it for drunken fun while being in control of the server, ie settings.

Fuck.

Mrbob

Can someone tell me this is a joke or a dream and I'll finally wake up?

I can't believe IW did this...why the hell even release a pc version anymore if you are just going to make it exactly the same as the xbox version.

The $59.99 price point is just rubbing salt in the wound. IW used to be one of my go to developers in gaming, not anymore.

Dash

It`ll still be better than the console versions, so I`m not canceling my preorder. Not that I`m happy with it, mind.

zoku88

Dash said:
It`ll still be better than the console versions, so I`m not canceling my preorder. Not that I`m happy with it, mind.
Uhm, why buy something when you're not happy with it? There are other games to play.

Vercingetorix said:
You're kidding, right? Apparently he wants this particular game more, or else he wouldn't have pre-ordered it.
But obviously he preordered it before the was known and he is unhappy with the news...

SlickVic

Dash said:

I was thinking of the PS3 version but I'm so hopelessly awkward with gamepads in FPS's that I think I have to stick with PC. I mean I still managed to beat Killzone 2 on normal which was a feat I'm quite proud of (thought I might have to bump it down to easy) but still I just prefer my mouse+keyboard when I have the option.

ZombieSupaStar said:
are you serious!?

that is so sad, I remember being in awe and losing hundreds of hours back in the day to 1942, vehicles played a huge role in that (and yes I missed the tribes bandwagaon, so for me it was like OMG awesome).

There are still standard BF2 servers running, so there's no trouble finding a game if that's what you want to play. Game still holds up pretty well for me.

senahorse

Trax416 said:
Blizzard's customer support is amazing. WTF.

Agreed, Blizzard are the benchmark for how to provide good customer support, not sure where he came up with that, hopefully Activision never get control of them, or maybe they will try to shoehorn an mmo into IF's matchmaking system. :lol

SlickVic

Wow the IW forums are out of control at the moment. I'm not sure if they have any mods there since none of the topic seem to be getting locked but I'd like to see the reaction of some of those IW devs if they take a look at some of those topics :lol .

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No seriously, this is Activision. They want everything on their servers so they can charge you for things. Maybe not vanilla online play but stat tracking, leaderboards, etc. They can't do that if Joe's Dedicated Server has its own stat program running and you decide to just play there.

Swag

SlickVic said:
Wow the IW forums are out of control at the moment. I'm not sure if they have any mods there since none of the topic seem to be getting locked but I'd like to see the reaction of some of those IW devs if they take a look at some of those topics :lol .

130 page petition thread with no mod response :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
fizzelopeguss said:
It's a fucking riot on the official boards...i guess the war really is coming to the homefront. :lol ;)

No sympathy. They are pretty much saying "we got successful and now we want to rape your wallet. fuck you haha." to their PC fans.

SlickVic said:

lol its bad. havent run into any gore pics yet at least.

SlickVic

So did 4Chan raid their forums? There's been a lot of angry post there today but all these pics really just started pouring in out of nowhere. I really wonder if IW will just try this play this off like nothing happened and if so, will 4Chan just keep coming back at this every day?

Maybe someone will tweet 402 to check out the forums. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SlickVic said:
So did 4Chan raid their forums? There's been a lot of angry post there today but all these pics really just started pouring in out of nowhere. I really wonder if IW will just try this play this off like nothing happened and if so, will 4Chan just keep coming back at this every day?

Maybe someone will tweet 402 to check out the forums. :lol

Some will stick around, but the majority will get bored after the first raid. I'm so glad that there is a waiting period on this forum so that cant happen here.

Swag

Honestly where are the mods for that forum :lol , did they just decide it wasn't worth trying to moderate through this mess and take a, Let's let the tide settle approach?

SlickVic

HK-47 said:
Some will stick around, but the majority will get bored after the first raid. I'm so glad that there is a waiting period on this forum so that cant happen here.

That's most likely what's going to happen but I have to wonder, if people keep protesting as much as they are right now, will IW make any sort of consolation? Maybe announce plans to patch in dedicated server support post release?

I also find it interesting that the uproar against the $60 price tag for a PC game wasn't nearly as large as this; though I guess the combined effect paying $10 more AND losing a feature that's pretty much a staple of PC gaming is enough to make some people go crazy.

NEOGAF forum member here... doing my part
Posted Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:03 am by 4chanpartyvan

Which one of you is spamming the board right now? :lol
Don't bother opening the topic though unless you're into some nasty stuff.

senahorse

What's really funny (on the iw forums), is that PS3/360 fans are banding together against the PC gamers, it's no wonder why some PC fans despise consoles. Especially after PC gamers made IW a relevant company in the first place and now they are just dumbing the game down to the lowest common denominator.

x3n05 said:
What's really funny (on the iw forums), is that PS3/360 fans are banding together against the PC gamers, it's no wonder why some PC fans despise consoles. Especially after PC gamers made IW a relevant company in the first place and now they are just dumbing the game down to the lowest common denominator.

its kinda like the thing that was cool when you were younger, your little brother gets ahold of 10 years later and thinks he bad ass, and tells you how bad ass it is. and yur like lol u nub. cept now you dont have dedicated servers, so your kinda owned too.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
x3n05 said:

Yeah because "pc gamers" never ever shit on consoles :lol

They are fanboys, there are no good fanboys.

Kandrick said:
Yeah because "pc gamers" never ever shit on consoles :lol

They are fanboys, there are no good fanboys.

i have consoles and a gaming pc, i would prefer to game on a pc, I have ascended to a higher plane!

Top Bottom