• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Ceebs

I doubt any bit of community outcry will get anything done. It's pretty evident Activision does not care about any PC players that buy their game. The poor people who bought the PC version of Prototype have yet to get an official patch to fix that game.

eznark

Banned
Ceebs said:
I doubt any bit of community outcry will get anything done. It's pretty evident Activision does not care about any PC players that buy their game. The poor people who bought the PC version of Prototype have yet to get an official patch to fix that game.
You mean they shipped Prototype without the ability to uninstall it?

rimshot!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Ceebs said:
I actually bought it on PC and thought it was awesome. :lol

No bugs or anything. And its a pretty awesome game. Completely outrageous.

edit: I did get it for pretty cheap though.

BobsRevenge said:
I actually bought it on PC and thought it was awesome. :lol

No bugs or anything. And its a pretty awesome game. Completely outrageous.

edit: I did get it for pretty cheap though.
There was something about too many (human interface devices) installed on your system that would mess up the games frame rate and that it would run too slow no matter how good your hardware was.

adama-rama

Neo Member
I don't play multiplayer games that often and even I know this is a horrible decision and an attempt to move gaming in a direction that doesn't benefit the players.

Was going to buy MW2 PC for the single player, not anymore though. Will now buy another game with the money instead.

I know people, especially those who actually play multiplayer CoD feel strongly about this and I hope they go through with any planned boycotts/protests/getting the message across to Activision/Infinity Ward.

EviLore said:
People pirated it, so screw the entire community. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Welcome to the Republican party
2mpg3de.gif

Ceebs

Lostconfused said:
There was something about too many (human interface devices) installed on your system that would mess up the games frame rate and that it would run too slow no matter how good your hardware was.
Yep. minimum settings on my X2 550 and 4870 would net me about 20 FPS. Max Settings...also 20 fps

The one PC game I was going to buy this christmas can now go and scew itself. I cant imagine playing a online FPS without dedicated servers, its wrong on so many levels.

Haunted

Lostconfused said:
That's a ridiculous bug to pass QA.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones. Ran fine on my rig. Very enjoyable superhero game. :D

spyshagg said:
site's wordfilteres for a reason. :lol

mbmonk

Wow. I just can't find the words to express my disappointment.

I am afraid that this just a preview of what is to come for FPS's on PC. I hope to god it's not.

Fëanor

And now the PC version of MW2 is actually halfway interesting to gamers who appreciate balanced gameplay. This is a victory for open-minded gamers everywhere.

Though I'm sure all the prehistoric PC gamers who love stacking teams during 40 player matches on maps designed for 16 players max and hearing 'classic' voiceovers from UT99 when they get a killstreak will be crying bitter tears.

All hail Infinity Ward. All hail the godkings.

Keep the bitter tears going, I'm out.

Enosh

Fëanor said:
And now the PC version of MW2 is actually halfway interesting to gamers who appreciate balanced gameplay. This is a victory for open-minded gamers everywhere.

Though I'm sure all the prehistoric PC gamers who love stacking teams during 40 player matches on maps designed for 16 players max and hearing 'classic' voiceovers from UT99 when they get a killstreak will be crying bitter tears.

I suggest a flame shield

Scipius said:
And now they are finally trying to turn the PC into an Xbox 360.

We will all rue the day Microsoft decided to go into gaming to protect their revenue streams.

Considering that Microsoft controls the PC entirely, couldn't they turn the gaming side into a 360 immediately if they wanted to? I don't know why they would need to be indirect about it.

Fëanor said:

Takes some serious balls to go against the grain in GAF. Kudos to you.

I agree that it's nice to see the PC gamers screaming about not being able to play 50 player matches on Shipment.

And god, those custom sounds...ruined every Steam online game I've ever played. I don't want to download 400 megabytes of retarded custom sounds some 12 year old counterstrike server admin thought were cool.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
That's one up side, Playing CS:S now is painful one or two maps dominate and most of the highly populated servers are shitty unfun custom maps

Yep. No choice at all. Same thing in games like Battlefield 2, everyone plays Strike at Karkand and basically nothing else. Made it impossible to find large populated servers to fly aircraft around in.

Fëanor said:

That's one up side, Playing CS:S now is painful one or two maps dominate and most of the highly populated servers are shitty unfun custom maps

JoeFu

Banned
Or you know... host advantage which makes the game unfair. I don't get the pc hate. Dedicated servers make so much more sense than p2p.

Activision knowingly screwing over the pc market is just ridiculous.

NIN90

Fëanor said:

Too bad that you can fucking filter stuff like that through a server list you fucking idiot.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
NIN90 said:
Too bad that you can fucking filter stuff like that through a server list you fucking idiot.

:lol such an over reaction.

mbmonk

I have played many matches of COD4 on PC. You can normally servers running standard maps with standard player limits. So you can try and overstate the so called 'problem' you raised, but that doesn't make it the truth.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
so the "i'm too dense to find decent servers, so the scores of innate benefits that dedicated servers provide should be unavailable to everyone buying this game" wagon has finally rolled into the thread.

"ban all non public transport because i only know the way to the dump and the v.d clinic."

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fëanor said:
Sounds like a good idea.:lol

This was done in the name of laughing though.
This isn't the right topic to blatantly troll. Be careful.

Anyone who can't find a regular server has the problem, but a look through your post history says you know nothing about the subject.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I guess on the bright side I never cared much for CoD4 multi on PC anyways, it was just Strike at Karkand with a fresh coat of paint, sans vehicles.

Dropping dedicated server support seems to send a pretty clear message to me: we don't want to make PC games anymore, please play on console.

It is funny how the console-only gamers who have been eating shit for years don't understand why the PC gamers aren't happy having their prime rib replaced with a big mac.

Shins

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
It is funny how the console-only gamers who have been eating shit for years don't understand why the PC gamers aren't happy having their prime rib replaced with a big mac.
It is funny how you think gaming is comparable to eating Prime Rib.

You fool.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Woo-Fu said:
I guess on the bright side I never cared much for CoD4 multi on PC anyways, it was just Strike at Karkand with a fresh coat of paint, sans vehicles.

Dropping dedicated server support seems to send a pretty clear message to me: we don't want to make PC games anymore, please play on console.

You could select servers and shit in Warhawk and Resistance 1 had matchmaking and a server browser. Should be the standard.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
NinjaFridge said:
You could select servers and shit in Warhawk and Resistance 1 had matchmaking and a server browser. Should be the standard.
Console games should be docked scores in reviews if they leave this shit out. 10% should be reasonable to make even the sturdiest PR outfit quiver with fear.

Freki

Preorder canceled - FUCK YOU Activision - this was supposed to be my mp fix for the next 12 months - FUCK YOU!

Vercingetorix said:
That's one hell of a server filter if it can find non-existent BF2 games playing anything other than Strike at Karkand 24/7 or Ghost Town in the SF expansion.

I do it every day. I hate Strike at Karkand and I frequently play BF2. That's the beauty of dedicated servers--more options.

Timan

Developer
Has there been any type of official response from Act/IW ? apart from the forum moderator nonsense.

RedSwirl

Fëanor said:

It's actually very nice to have the choice for matchmaking and console-style lobbies. Makes it easier to find vanilla games. It's nice... as a choice.

Left 4 Dead has matchmaking and console-style lobbies on PC too and this is probably what IW is aping. L4D however also still offers the choice of dedicated severs (I believe) for people who want to play like that.

Arcipello

Im very suprised to not see a "Cancel your pre-order in protest" thread on one of the many forums, when it comes to Activision money speaks louder than words so i would assume that would be the best way to be heard.

Ceebs

RedSwirl said:
It's actually very nice to have the choice for matchmaking and console-style lobbies. Makes it easier to find vanilla games. It's nice... as a choice.

Left 4 Dead has matchmaking and console-style lobbies on PC too and this is probably what IW is aping. L4D however also still offers the choice of dedicated severs (I believe) for people who want to play like that.
The server browser was not in the Left4Dead demo at first, but after some quick outcries it was patched back in like a day later.

Swifty

Timan said:
Has there been any type of official response from Act/IW ? apart from the forum moderator nonsense.
Nope. This shit storm started over the weekend so no one is in the offices to downplay or spin the news. Volunteer forum moderators are probably the only people they have right now to do crowd control until Monday morning where we'll finally hear them say to bend over and take it.

Poor Robert Bowling. As a Community Manager, this is probably the reaction he had least hoped for. When your job is to listen and talk to the community, and the community forums EXPLODE IN A ORGASM OF FURY AND RAGE, it's probs not a good sign.

NIN90 said:
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?search=battlefield

I see about one dozen servers not running karkand. And that's an unfiltered server list.

All I wanted was to play some Mashtuur City and a nice vehicle map every once in a while...but as you see, the choice is ridiculously small given that it's one of the most popular online games on PC. And I was playing it years ago, back in its prime, and still couldn't find many suitable servers.

When you let the community decide what maps are played, they're going to fixate on one map and one gamemode and make everything else impossible to find. That's why BF2 turned into Karkand claymore/grenade spam 24/7 and stat padding servers to the exclusion of almost all else.

Talamius

RedSwirl said:

Where L4D succeeds is that it has a lobby system that then searches for the best available dedicated server for the party to join. It's the best of both worlds.

Still, the great thing about PC gaming is there are choices. We're not forced to play a couple of the "latest and greatest" FPS games to have any real sense of community so passing over MW2 is no big deal :)

MMaRsu

Banned
Vercingetorix said:
All I wanted was to play some Mashtuur City and a nice vehicle map every once in a while...but as you see, the choice is ridiculously small given that it's one of the most popular online games on PC. And I was playing it years ago, back in its prime, and still couldn't find many suitable servers.

When you let the community decide what maps are played, they're going to fixate on one map and one gamemode and make everything else impossible to find. That's why BF2 turned into Karkand claymore/grenade spam 24/7 and stat padding servers to the exclusion of almost all else.

What about CS.

Mikey Jr.

Vercingetorix said:

I understand you wanting to play different maps with different game modes. Matchmaking would fix that. You're right.

But what about the people who DO want to play 24/7 Karkand? Those servers are full and people are in there enjoying the game (even though you hate it). How do you satisfy those people?

Mikey Jr. said:
I understand you wanting to play different maps with different game modes. Matchmaking would fix that. You're right.

But what about the people who DO want to play 24/7 Karkand? Those servers are full and people are in there enjoying the game (even though you hate it). How do you satisfy those people?

I don't really hate Karkand, its definitely a good map.(until near the end when DICE ruined the infantry combat by making claymores invincible and non-teamkilling) But there are other good maps too, ones I wanted to play a lot more that never had populated servers.

And I have to admit, if it was up to me, all of the servers would be 24/7 Mashtuur or 24/7 Vehicle Air maps so that I could have lots of people to bomb from aircraft. And I would be like the server admins who banned anyone who took aircraft so that I could get a plane every time myself :lol (gotta love server admins)

But that's the problem with letting the community decide things. Everyone wants the game to be focused on their own personal preferences with it and don't care about anyone else.

MMaRsu said:
What about CS.

You mean CSS? Last time I played CSS almost every server was Dust with AWP disabled. If anything its one of the best examples of why allowing the community to choose maps results in them choosing the same few maps every time.

Top Bottom