• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tzeentch said:
MW2 PC has prone. BC2 PC does not.

MW2 duz wut BC2 don't.

Wait, wasn't there some big deal made about BC2 PC having prone and the console versions not?

Tzeentch

I posted it in the BC2 thread, but their later twitter messages said there was no prone on any SKU of BC2. Probably made that community rep feel silly.

Enosh

Zefah said:
Wait, wasn't there some big deal made about BC2 PC having prone and the console versions not?
you need to keep up with the latest news

the lead developer said there won't be prone on any SKU of BC2 and yes that includes the PC
so you boycotting this one too now? :lol

@M0t0rBreath no prone in any sku of BC2, sorry!
3:05 PM Oct 27th
http://twitter.com/locust9/status/5213965953

oh and did BC1 have leaning? Beacose if BC2 console version doesn't have it, I would be very suprised if the PC version would

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
I guarantee that Left 4 Dead 2 will outsell Modern Warfare 2 on PC this holiday.

I'm not so sure, I just checked Steam and I don't see mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings listed as features.

Do Valve do refunds?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Enosh said:
you need to keep up with the latest news

the lead developer said there won't be prone on any SKU of BC2 and yes that includes the PC
so you boycotting this one too now? :lol

http://twitter.com/locust9/status/5213965953

oh and did BC1 have leaning? Beacose if BC2 console version doesn't have it, I would be very suprised if the PC version would

I had no plans of getting BC2 in the first place unless it turned out to be some wildly awesome game. I'm not necessarily "boycotting" Modern Warfare 2 either. I am certainly not going to buy it in its current state, but if they were to go back on all of this crap and give the PC version a proper treatment then I would definitely be interested in picking it up.

Enosh

rhfb said:
I still can't believe that people are defending the decision to not have dedicated servers.

I don't think anyone here is actualy "defending" it
most people that are still buying it simply don't care

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
rhfb said:
I still can't believe that people are defending the decision to not have dedicated servers.

I think it is mostly just the people who are fans of the console game that are taking offense that their version of the game is being equated to worthless shit.

Jackl

Zefah said:
I had no plans of getting BC2 in the first place unless it turned out to be some wildly awesome game. I'm not necessarily "boycotting" Modern Warfare 2 either. I am certainly not going to buy it in its current state, but if they were to go back on all of this crap and give the PC version a proper treatment then I would definitely be interested in picking it up.

Agreed, a boycott is an action taken against a company for its stances/operations. It's products can be of equal or even superior value of its competitors.

In my opinion at this point MW2 is simply an inferior product and does not warrant a sale regardless of my feelings for Activision/IW. Makes it much easier for me to ignore hype release and let age fade it into obscurity.

BF and Dice will fall into the same category should they continue to follow suit.

dgud

Neo Member
Casual gamer here, I play some Wii with the kids and play Cod PC with my friends
every monday night, we have done so for the last 5 years since MOHAA.

I have never completed the single player part (hardly the first level)
on any the previous versions, played a lot multiplayer though.

I have bought Cod every time for it's multiplayer game.

This will be the first cod game for PC by IW that I wont buy.

legend166

dgud said:
Casual gamer here, I play some Wii with the kids and play Cod PC with my friends
every monday night, we have done so for the last 5 years since MOHAA.

I have never completed the single player part (hardly the first level)
on any the previous versions, played a lot multiplayer though.

I have bought Cod every time for it's multiplayer game.

This will be the first cod game for PC by IW that I wont buy.

Bububu casual gamers are too stupid for server lists! IW are helping you! You should love it even more!

NekoFever

faceless007 said:
That's exactly it, those things are so incredibly integral to PC gaming, and have been present in every single multiplayer PC game made in the last decade, that the fact that IW would even list them as some some sort of notable feature is mind-numbingly pathetic. It would be like if a console game touted the ability to play the game on your TV as a feature while the PC version can't.
It reminds me of the good old days when DVD boxes would list 'interactive menus' and 'scene selection' as special features.

Fugu

I'm not buying it (it was a close decision but the price clinched it) but it makes me wonder just how pervasive this trend of screwing PC gamers because they're the smallest market is.

Granted, games like Dragon Age which are indisputably better on PC make me feel better.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Fugu said:
I'm not buying it (it was a close decision but the price clinched it) but it makes me wonder just how pervasive this trend of screwing PC gamers because they're the smallest market is.

Granted, games like Dragon Age which are indisputably better on PC make me feel better.

sad thing is, even in its goddawful rape victim state that no pc gamer with any hint of conviction would touch, mw2 is still indisputably better on pc.

Cheeto

ghst said:
sad thing is, even in its goddawful rape victim state that no pc gamer with any hint of conviction would touch, mw2 is still indisputably better on pc.
Ya well, not having auto-aim is a big plus for the PC version... but really, with the crap they've added to reward players who die a lot, it's really becoming a wash. FPS for babies - no matter how you slice it.

Mrbob

Cheeto said:
Ya well, not having auto-aim is a big plus for the PC version... but really, with the crap they've added to reward players who die a lot, it's really becoming a wash. FPS for babies - no matter how you slice it.

Even this stuff wouldn't bother me so much if I can join a dedicated server that can turn the options off.

IW should have just done a 'Play now!' option with all the noob friendly accessibility.

They could have done both and had an opportunity to really expand the PC userbase. Perhaps a new user would have started on the 'Play now!" option, and as he/she got better at the game moved on to the dedicated server selection.

Also, the fact that nearly 15K dedicated servers are still running for MW1 definitely does not help IW's decision.

The game is going to sell millions on consoles, whatever, I really don't care if it does. I'm not against console gaming, hell, I love my PS3 and the 360 is ok too. I just hate a company with a great pc heritage is going out of there way to diminish the value of the PC version.

Draft

After that last interview, I'm pretty sure IW is just straight up trolling :lol

Graphics settings. They should put that shit on the box.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Fugu said:
MODERN WARFARE 2 - NOW WITH SIMULTANEOUS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE SUPPORT
I'm gonna preorder the fuck out of that game so hard, IW will be jizzing DLC at me in joy, and it'll be a mean, but not lean rape orgy with thrusts 100ms delayed

I think I've got something in my eye. Oh look it's A NUCLEAR BOMB

Let me just kill these innocent civilians real quick

dgud

Neo Member
legend166 said:
Bububu casual gamers are too stupid for server lists! IW are helping you! You should love it even more!

Yeah, I know, I had some problems modding Cod2 so that the teams stayed intact during map-switches, you know we are casual gamers so some of us couldn't choose the correct team at start of new map, which resulted in a couple of map-restarts before everyone where on the correct team.
But I can't do that anymore can I !! arggh..

Safe Bet

Banned
BTW

Just listend to The Giant Bombcast's opinion on the subject.

WOW

How could they be so fucking clueless?

Gamers have a "Sense of Entitlement" because they object to features and choice being taken OUT of games?

Uh...

Yeah...

That's the last time I listen to those guys.

John

It's pretty well-established that we're not going to get any help from the press on this one (except perhaps ars technica). It's easy to make fun of people who object to anything, so the witless will just exploit that for easy laughs for people who don't know what they're talking about.

Curufinwe

sflufan said:
Here is the transcript of a chat involving an IW flunkie:

http://www.modernwarfare2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148676&sid=490833ecd37830503a836d056a0bbee9

Bottom line: IW.Net will be limited to 9 vs 9.

I assumed it would be a maximum of 16 players on the PC, but now I hear it's 18 I'm going to buy it on Steam right now. :lol

Fuck all the ignorant console journalists who have acted like having the maximum player size cut more than in half between CoD 4 and MW2 is no big deal.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Tzeentch said:
-- If they badmouthed IW they would not be granted interviews any more.
I don't think that's what you should take away from that podcast. I think they've stated their opinion on the matter frankly.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Safe Bet said:
BTW

Just listend to The Giant Bombcast's opinion on the subject.

WOW

How could they be so fucking clueless?

Gamers have a "Sense of Entitlement" because they object to features and choice being taken OUT of games?

Uh...

Yeah...

That's the last time I listen to those guys.

Well if this whole dedicated server nonsense gets people to stop sucking off Giant Bomb, I'm all for IW.net :lol

X26

Banned
Roude Leiw said:
9v9 what a joke :lol

All the complaints make sense except this one to me, maps don't seem big enough for that many players all the time plus with that many players it would be nothing but ocnstant killstreaks

X26 said:
All the complaints make sense except this one to me, maps don't seem big enough for that many players all the time plus with that many players it would be nothing but ocnstant killstreaks

i always played cod4 on full servers, because i like it. at least they should give the players the choice. of course they say its because of balancing issues etc, but obviously it is because of no dedicated servers.

i seriously think mw2 will sell less on pc than mw1. all the hardcore players will stick to mw1 and a lot will pirate mw2 for the singleplayer.

bloodline

Neo Member
This game has become a joke. Was going to be a day 1 purchase for me but unfortunately I'll be passing on this one. I've been buying these games/expansions since the were called Medal of Honor. Oh well, so long IW.

Frostburn

I have no problem with them wanting to make it easier for new players to get into online games on the PC but honestly the core group of gamers that would choose the PC version of MW2 know how to use a server browser to get into a match.

They should have made the matchmaking IN ADDITION to dedicated servers, that way everyone is happy. I still play CS:Source ONLY because of dedicated servers.

A few years ago I found a server with a set of rules that encouraged fun, clean gameplay and teamwork. I bookmarked that server and started to make friends. It has been 6 years since that happened and I still play the game to this day with the same group of people. I go to yearly LAN party's in another state.

I'm part of their "clan" now and have been for a few years. It is invite only and I was invited into the group in person at my first LAN. We have 75+ clan members. The community has grown to over 260 regular players and we've had over 10 seasons of our own league play that is invite only.

These guys are like a family to me, I've seen some members get married and now have kids. NONE of this would be possible without dedicated servers. This is why I will never buy another Infinity Ward game ever again for PC. Just go ahead and stop making PC versions from now on if you want to take away all the fan control from online play. You simply cannot foster this kind of community without Dedicated Servers. Oh yeah and we have an active COD 4 server and play that game at our LAN parties too. Not one of our members is buying MW2.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
X26 said:

Plus, in the context of matchmaking, 9v9 being the max makes sense due to people not wanting crowding on their maps. I could see people complaining about 9v9 max if they allowed custom servers/custom maps though.

Still no excuse for the rest of the BS. 100ms ping my ass.

Opiate

ahoyhoy said:
Plus, in the context of matchmaking, 9v9 being the max makes sense due to people not wanting crowding on their maps. I could see people complaining about 9v9 max if they allowed custom servers/custom maps though.

Still no excuse for the rest of the BS. 100ms ping my ass.

Okay, this should seem pretty straightforward. With dedicated servers, you can have 9v9 servers just like you do with P2P ones.

Except, with dedicated servers, you can also have 16v16 matches, or 10v10, or 12v12, or what have you.

What possible downside is there? Yes, 16v16 matches tend to be very fast paced. Some people like that. If you don't like that... there are dedicated 9v9 servers. Or 6v6. Take your pick.

How is having the option bad? And why isn't okay for some people to prefer larger games, a la 16v16?

VaLiancY

Frostburn said:
These guys are like a family to me, I've seen some members get married and now have kids. NONE of this would be possible without dedicated servers. This is why I will never buy another Infinity Ward game ever again for PC. Just go ahead and stop making PC versions from now on if you want to take away all the fan control from online play. You simply cannot foster this kind of community without Dedicated Servers. Oh yeah and we have an active COD 4 server and play that game at our LAN parties too. Not one of our members is buying MW2.

This.

I honestly think a lot of people over look the benefit of dedicated server. It isn't just "Fuck yes, 5 ping", there are some amazing communities who have special game nights, map testing(kiss that goodbye) and just regular stupid fucking fun(TF2, I'm looking at you) that just won't be had with lack of dedicated servers.

Cheeto said:
That's one of the big reason console people buys it I guess. I'm a console person that's not buying it though.

VaLiancY

Cheeto said:

Oh man, I remember when CoD4 was coming out and IW said there was a playlist without perks, I was so happy to hear that and then I played it.:lol It was so bad.

Haunted

Mackey-IW
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.
what in the fuck

I cannot believe he actually said that. This might be the single most insulting thing IW has said in this whole debacle so far. Holy shit.

Enosh

Haunted said:
what in the fuck

I cannot believe he actually said that. This might be the single most insulting thing IW has said in this whole debacle so far. Holy shit.

I've read the quote some 20 times by now and I still don't get all the rage about it

Haunted

Enosh said:
I've read the quote some 20 times by now and I still don't get all the rage about it
I just saw that faceless actually explained this quite nicely.

faceless said:
That's exactly it, those things are so incredibly integral to PC gaming, and have been present in every single multiplayer PC game made in the last decade, that the fact that IW would even list them as some some sort of notable feature is mind-numbingly pathetic. It would be like if a console game touted the ability to play the game on your TV as a feature while the PC version can't.
And this was said in a Q&A session with their fanbase. They are actually trying to convince the community that those are features worthy to be mentioned, setting the PC version apart from its console counterparts.

It's fucking disgusting.

Enosh

Victrix said:
no, beacose the PC has 2 out of 3 mentioned things, try again

setting the PC version apart from its console counterparts.
but they do...

They are actually trying to convince the community that those are features worthy to be mentioned
I realy didn't get the impression that they think they are features worth mentioning, but they are features the PC has that the consoles don't and since that was the question...

Haunted

Enosh said:
no, beacose the PC has 2 out of 3 mentioned things, try again

but they do...

I realy didn't get the impression that they think they are features worth mentioning, but they are features the PC has that the consoles don't and since that was the question...
You think this is an acceptable answer to the question whether the PC version (disregarding IW.net) is a port of the console versions or not?

You accept his answer that it's obviously not a console port because the PC version of MW2 has mouse support and graphics settings? They're trying to take their fans for fools instead of answering the question honestly and it's fucking insulting.

Satanyoka

Banned
Mackey-IW
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.
What...The...Fuck!?
mvqkuh.jpg

Top Bottom