• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that is pretty amazing. Are those guys just vile scumbags, idiots, or a little of both?

Why do so many "game" journalists seem so completely uninformed. It's like they hear a tidbit of information and instead of bothering to do any basic research, they just write up a story while they use their imagination to fill in the blanks.

Zefah said:
Wow, that is pretty amazing. Are those guys just vile scumbags, idiots, or a little of both?

reading that game informer twat and satterfield putz, i'd say both. I doubt this owen tit will change it either. Some people love to bathe in ignorance.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
slotaku updated. thank heavens it's only a 360 leak which apparently no longer earns the /piracy clarification.

Haunted

ghst said:
slotaku updated. thank heavens it's only a 360 leak which apparently no longer earns the /piracy clarification.
:lol so damn transparent. Can't believe how they manage to fuck up so consistently.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The console gamers don't pirate, they just get games early (and for free) from their manager friends or their cousins who work at the game companies!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
EpicBattleCry on Gametrailers has some words about the whole situation as well.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/skirmish-51-epicbattlecry/58503

Starts at about 13:37 :lol

Brent said:
I don't think any of us would have looked down the line six months and imagined that there would be such a dark shadow hanging over the release of this game now.
And I wrote a blogpost on EpicBattleAxe this week asking: "Is Modern Warfare 2 really a sure thing?".
And .. I think that .. although I think that it's been incredibly difficult, Infinity Ward and Activision have found a way to screw up the release of this title.
[...]
I think that they've really, really did this especially for PC gamers.

That comic is awesome and perfectly illustrates what dedicated servers are like. A friends list is just that, it's a list of people you've already played with. A dedicated server is like your favorite watering hole. A few people you know will be there and you'll meet a few new people.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I <3 Memes said:
That comic is awesome and perfectly illustrates what dedicated servers are like. A friends list is just that, it's a list of people you've already played with. A dedicated server is like your favorite watering hole. A few people you know will be there and you'll meet a few new people.

This, it's total bs, and has completely put me off getting MW2 at all now (seeing as i would have got the PC version). Leave matchmaking on consoles, on PC we like our server lists.
CoD4's server list was fucked as it was, press Esc to stop, wait, i'm on the menu? Join again, ohhhh.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
MW2 comes out in a week, so why haven't we heard ANYTHING about IW.net yet, outside of 402's blog post? Don't you think that IW would at least be talking about it if it were something to be proud of?

Cheeto

Archie said:
MW2 comes out in a week, so why haven't we heard ANYTHING about IW.net yet, outside of 402's blog post? Don't you think that IW would at least be talking about it if it were something to be proud of?
The first $10 map pack isn't due out for at least 2 weeks...so you'll probably hear about it then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Archie said:

I mentioned this a few times earlier in the thread. It really annoys me that no one in the gaming media brought up that IW hasn't even bothered to talk about this feature in any official capacity. Bowling said that the team was really excited about IW.net, but it is pretty obvious at this point that they aren't proud of it or they would be advertising the hell out of it.

It really feels like IW / Activision are trying to keep it under wraps as best they can so they don't lose customers who are otherwise rightfully anticipating dedicted server support for the game.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
IW's greatest hits:

GeneralClean
With the new IW.net, how many players can it support at one time with each server set-up, 8 vs 8, 12 vs 12, 16 vs 16, and how much bandwidth are we talking about per player basis, Upload and Download?

Mackey-IW
The max number of players on all platforms are 1v1 through 9v9. This is the number of players we focused on when we were balancing map size, perks, classes, challenges, etc.

Saucy
Will the DLC for PC version cost anything?

Quote:
Vince-IW
No idea yet.

h4msandwich
Has IWnet been tested in European settings? My clan plays european leagues and we got ppl from Eastern europe, UK and Sweden meeting in the same match. How is this going to play out considering siginificant differences in Bandwith and connection qualities between players. Will host player always have the ping advantage. Can a match be hosted by 'third' person, not taking part in the match?

Quote:
Mackey-IW
Players do not control who hosts.

Please give me a direct answer. On the PC version. Are all games hosted by players, and is there a 5 second delay when host migration is in effect?

Quote:
Vince-IW
yes.

Moriarte
Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?

Quote:
Mackey-IW
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

smh

MDSLKTR

Archie said:
INo, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

hs4361.jpg

Sipowicz

Banned
02:34 zach426
What was your guy's logic behind removing the lean feature for PC, a feature that was a mainstay from all of your previous call of duty titles?
02:34 Mackey-IW
The game is not balanced for lean.

02:56 LaGgY_42o
What kinds of pings did you get during your IWNet testing and what do you say is an acceptable ping?
02:56 Mackey-IW
I've been playing mainly with around 100ms ping and it was great.

you've got to be shitting me

Archie said:
IW's greatest hits:

Ugh, I don't know if I should laugh or cry at that. We all know console development has taken precedence, but IW have really gone above and beyond the call of duty to backstab the PC community.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
atleast the tenuous argument that iw's treatment of the pc community was founded on progressive intentions have been forever silenced.

Kimosabae

Banned
"PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings."

I'm PC gaming illiterate -- can someone explain what's so laughable about this? Sounds like standard PC stuff, is that it?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, 100ms ping is considered good, 9v9 player cap for all modes, no 3rd party hosting, fuck you anyone who doesn't live in America with a good connection, prepare to pay for map packs as soon as we can figure out a distribution method...

But never fear guys, they are going out of their way to give us cool custom features like mouse control!!! text chat!!! and even the ability to adjust our graphics settings!!! We don't even have to pay any of it... this time. Someone please bold the "Hubris" part of the title.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Zefah said:
So, 100ms ping is considered good, 9v9 player cap for all modes, no 3rd party hosting, fuck you anyone who doesn't live in America with a good connection, prepare to pay for map packs as soon as we can figure out a distribution method...

But never fear guys, they are going out of their way to give us cool custom features like mouse control!!! text chat!!! and even the ability to adjust our graphics settings!!! We don't even have to pay any of it... this time.

actually, i think that's what the extra $10 is for.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm surprised that the PC version's resolution isn't locked at 1024x600 and requires a 360 controller to play. IW is so considerate of the PC community.

Yoboman

Archie said:
I'm surprised that the PC version isn't locked at 1024x600 and requires a 360 controller to play. IW is so considerate of the PC community.
You've got to keep some surprises for when it releases

WedgeX

Banned
Yoboman said:
CoD4 is horrible above 20 players, let's be honest. It's a clusterfuck

Not really. I still play on a 50 person server and get by fine. The main problem is the small number of maps that are not small to medium. The original CoD had a good number of large to huge maps which were perfect. Plus custom larger maps in both and there are few problems with large numbers of players.

Firestorm

It's funny but you think you got screwed on PC, wait until the Mac version. Same hardware, less than half the graphical quality and framerate.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole

Let me just throw up real quick

nup2u.png

Yoboman

WedgeX said:
Not really. I still play on a 50 person server and get by fine. The main problem is the small number of maps that are not small to medium. The original CoD had a good number of large to huge maps which were perfect. Plus custom larger maps in both and there are few problems with large numbers of players.
I can't stand it sometimes. It worked in the old CoD games but not in CoD4, especially with all the airstrikes and helicopters and the ease of killing.

But you have a point about the map size.

I just bought the GOTY edition on Steam this weekend. Still adjusting to the differences of a controller versus mouse and keyboard

Kimosabae said:
"PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings."

I'm PC gaming illiterate -- can someone explain what's so laughable about this? Sounds like standard PC stuff, is that it?
That's exactly it, those things are so incredibly integral to PC gaming, and have been present in every single multiplayer PC game made in the last decade, that the fact that IW would even list them as some some sort of notable feature is mind-numbingly pathetic. It would be like if a console game touted the ability to play the game on your TV as a feature while the PC version can't.

PC gaming gave IW its start, its a shame to see them turn on the same people who made the Call of Duty franchise popular.

As an Aussie IWnet will almost assuredly be godawful for me, every other matchmaking system based on P2P is. But hey, who care's about the little guys, the reals moneys in the NA, right?

Top Bottom