• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

52club

Well now PC gamers can rent the game for $20 on console from Gamestop, and stick it to Amazon by getting a guaranteed credit of $40 for the trade in:lol . Personally I won't be giving Gamestop my business, but flooding the market with used copies of their console games might be a good way to teach Activision a lesson.

Dingobloo

Neo Member
Dyno said:
With Guitar Hero/Rock Band, Tycho was bashing the fact that you had to buy two plastic guitars to play both versions of what are essentially the same game. It was corporate competitiveness over decency to the customer.

With Modern Warfare 2 it's about a small percentage of the customer base using the game in leagues and clans the way they are use to rather than trying the new way out before raising hell.

It is possible for someone to side with the company on one call, and not on the other... Even if that does mean siding with (ick) Bobby Fucking Kotick.

The removal of public custom games affects more than clans. I'm not in a clan and I STILL want public custom games, I don't have 16 friends I can invite if I want to play something not on the playlists, or tweak allowable perks, or remove grenade launchers. Or even play with decent hosting.

The play list restriction is purely to not split the user-base and feed the matchmaking. The matchmaking is only to provide one-button joining of games. But please, keep asserting that it's only clans affected by this.

Ten-Song

52club said:
Well now PC gamers can rent the game for $20 on console from Gamestop, and stick it to Amazon by getting a guaranteed credit of $40 for the trade in:lol . Personally I won't be giving Gamestop my business, but flooding the market with used copies of their console games might be a good way to teach Activision a lesson.

Not really, because each of those "rented" copies that go out still qualify as a full sale of the game for Activision. The more people that bite on that deal, the better the game looks during NPD time.

seal_club

Neo Member
Dyno said:
With Modern Warfare 2 it's about a small percentage of the customer base using the game in leagues and clans the way they are use to rather than trying the new way out before raising hell.

don't post in a thread if you don't know what you're talking about. get back to the clammy clutches of your small box.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dyno said:

Where are you getting this "small percentage" from? As other people have pointed out, clans and league players are not the only ones effected by this change. Anyone who likes how CoD4 works on the PC is effected by this. I sincerely doubt that a majority of PC CoD4 players would prefer to just hit a "PLAY" button over finding a couple of servers that they really like and kind of "settling in". The servers are persistent. Communities form around them. You can hop in and out of them whenever you want and the games still carry on.

It isn't like matchmaking where you wait a minute to get matched up with people, vote on a map or mode and have to repeat the whole process all over again once the match is over. Sure if you have a consistent group of friends who you can "party" up with this isn't too much of a concern, but with dedicated servers you don't need to gather up your friends before getting into a game.

Curufinwe

59 pages in and there are still people claiming it's only a small percentage of clan-types are upset about this? :lol Dear oh dear.

I've never been in a clan for any game. I'm raising hell about this because I spent most of my 40 hours in CoD4 on servers with 30 or 40 people, and then found out the sequel will be limited to a pathetic 16 players with the computer of one of those players stuck hosting the match instead of it using "real fat pipes with lots of good bandwidth".

Other people, who have also never been in clans, are upset chiefly because P2P matchmaking has a long history of sucking for gamers not in North America.

Ten-Song

Curufinwe said:
59 pages in and there are still people claiming it's only a small percentage of clan-types are upset about this? Dear oh dear.

I've never been in a clan for any game. I'm raising hell about this because I spent most of my 40 hours in CoD4 on servers with 30 or 40 people, and then found out the sequel will be limited to a pathetic 16 players with the computer of one of those players stuck hosting the match instead of it using "real fat pipes with lots of good bandwidth".

Other people, who have also never been in clans, are upset chiefly because P2P matchmaking has a long history of sucking for gamers not in North America.

I don't think this thread's size is a good way to measure the number of people upset over this, considering it's mostly a lot of the same handful of people (myself included) discussing the issue.

Also... I don't really tend to enjoy games like CoD and TF2 when they shoehorn in a fuck ton of people. A 32 player match on 2fort in TF2 is nothing but an endless stalemate on a lot of the servers I visit. I tend to think something like 20 players on a server or such is the magic number for that game, so games on consoles/PC that are built around 16 players doesn't really annoy me.

The non-American lag issue though is one of the more valid complaints to emerge from this mess though. Australian and Euro gamers I think should stay as far away from this game as humanly possible.

Druz

Curufinwe said:
Other people, who have also never been in clans, are upset chiefly because P2P matchmaking has a long history of sucking for gamers Everywhere.

I'd say the overwhelming majority of PC Gamers are upset over this, why wouldn't they be?

G_Berry

Banned
All this thread proves is that most people have no real idea of what a dedicated server is and It's benefits.

Any real PC gamer will tell you that the lack of dedicated servers is a complete joke.
I bet you find that most will just continue to play MW1, world at war or any other PC shooter that came out in the last 20 years!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Ten-Song said:
The non-American lag issue though is one of the more valid complaints to emerge from this mess though. Australian and Euro gamers I think should stay as far away from this game as humanly possible.

this "mess" being a long and distinguished list of equally valid complaints.

Jackl

zombieshavebrains said:
And i'm sure it will surpass MW2 on the best seller list. :lol

Jesus its 40% off which sounds good but that means its still 24 dollars. Meh.

They milked that game for every dollar it was worth. It sold well enough to support the longterm high price. But But piracy!!!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd buy it for $25 if I didn't already have it.

CoD4 is a lot of fun!

Ten-Song said:
Also... I don't really tend to enjoy games like CoD and TF2 when they shoehorn in a fuck ton of people. A 32 player match on 2fort in TF2 is nothing but an endless stalemate on a lot of the servers I visit. I tend to think something like 20 players on a server or such is the magic number for that game, so games on consoles/PC that are built around 16 players doesn't really annoy me.

Yeah it boggles my mind how many people think they know better than Valve how to balance their game. Zero second respawns, massive player counts. Oh my god, massive stalemate, what a surprise!

Luckily I can filter out most servers with those tags, but some servers don't have tags for those for some reason.

mbmonk

Ten-Song said:
I don't think this thread's size is a good way to measure the number of people upset over this, considering it's mostly a lot of the same handful of people (myself included) discussing the issue.

I could be wrong but I think you missed his point. He meant over the 59 pages it has been clearly shown that people who aren't in clans care about dedicated servers. I don't think he meant that 59 pages = x number of people are interested.

I am one of those non clan players who gives a shit about this issue. I live in the US and I still care. It's about gaming moving backward (P2P) instead of forward ( DS ).

mbmonk

PedroLumpy said:
Yeah it boggles my mind how many people think they know better than Valve how to balance their game. Zero second respawns, massive player counts. Oh my god, massive stalemate, what a surprise!

Luckily I can filter out most servers with those tags, but some servers don't have tags for those for some reason.

Maybe it isn't about 'balance' to those people? If they like 30 minute games where if you cap the flag 1 time it is more rewarding than capping it 3 times in normal mode what does it matter? IF they tag the server correctly. I get your point there. But the whole 'they can't balance it like Valve' argument misses the point. They are playing the game how they find it fun, not necessarily looking for the optimal balance.

Curufinwe

Ten-Song said:

It's not the size of the thread itself, it's the information that's been repeated over and over clearly showing that it's much more than a small percentage of hardcore clan gamers who will be negatively affected by the removal of dedicated servers.

I agree that 2fort is a stalemate with that many players, but 32 player servers take the goldrush maps on TF2 to a new level of fun, IMO. You say that 20 players is the magic number for you, but even if MW2 allowed that many players using P2P, it would be almost certainly be a lagfest compared to a 10 v. 10 game of Team Deathmatch on a CoD 4 dedicated server.

Curufinwe

mbmonk said:
Maybe it isn't about 'balance' to those people? If they like 30 minute games where if you cap the flag 1 time it is more rewarding than capping it 3 times in normal mode what does it matter? IF they tag the server correctly. I get your point there. But the whole 'they can't balance it like Valve' argument misses the point. They are playing the game how they find it fun, not necessarily looking for the optimal balance.

I'll play zero respawn time, 32 player 2fort sometimes if I just want do the Sniper war thing, or maybe get some Heavy or Pyro Achievements without going on to an actual Achievement server.

It's a good thing, not a bad thing that the dedicated server system used by Valve allows for that type of 2fort to exist, as well as 16-player 2fort where everybody is focused solely on capturing the flag.

see5harp

Ten-Song said:

Yes.

I'll still maintain that the reason it is only a 'small percentage' of users complaining now, is that outside of the kind of people who frequent forums most people either don't know what the problems are going to be, or (even shown by people posting in this thread) don't understand what the problems are going to be.

When people are complaining post-release that the game is laggy and full of cheaters I wonder if some of the 'PC gamers are bugfuck crazy' rhetoric defending this move will admit that maybe people had a point.

mbmonk said:

Well the thing that surprised me is the number of servers like that. Almost all servers near me have these rulesets, and people in the game will complain about the massive stalemate. Yet they don't seem to actually be able to make the connection. While I do believe it's a quantifiably worse experience, people are free to play how they please. Like I said I just find it really surprising.

SlickVic

YuriLowell said:
Wont making this a steam works game make it a pain in the ass to pirate?

It might prevent Day 0 piracy (not 100% on this) but Steamworks games make it to the usual places pretty quickly.

SlickVic said:
It might prevent Day 0 piracy (not 100% on this) but Steamworks games make it to the usual places pretty quickly.

You can't underestimate the value of that though. Plenty of titles are pirated weeks in advance of release but the average Steamworks title won't be available until some weeks/days after the initial release. Its a genuine revenue saver, and often those that are happy to wait around for a cracked copy wouldn't have even considered paying full price for your title anyway. Eliminating day zero piracy is a big deal to publishers, just a shame the 360 version of titles always stops that from happening.

brain_stew said:
You can't underestimate the value of that though. Plenty of titles are pirated weeks in advance of release but the average Steamworks title won't be available until some weeks/days after the initial release. Its a genuine revenue saver, and often those that are happy to wait around for a cracked copy wouldn't have even considered paying full price for your title anyway. Eliminating day zero piracy is a big deal to publishers, just a shame the 360 version of titles always stops that from happening.

I hear rumblings the PAL version is already out there. So all these arguments about Day0 piracy are pretty moot.

mbmonk

PedroLumpy said:
Well the thing that surprised me is the number of servers like that. Almost all servers near me have these rulesets, and people in the game will complain about the massive stalemate. Yet they don't seem to actually be able to make the connection. While I do believe it's a quantifiably worse experience, people are free to play how they please. Like I said I just find it really surprising.

Your follow up post really elaborated and clarified on your point. Now feel like I misunderstood the orginal post to some degree. Sorry.

I actually like that style (no respawn timer). Wasn't the original Quake mod and later the TF Classic that way? To me it's just action non stop. So while I don't like playing solely those servers I play them quite a bit :)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
What's funny is that apparently the 360 version is already pirated so that basically throws the whole piracy on PC argument out the window. :lol

procrastinator said:
Not a steamworks game. Just released on Steam. 2 different things.

But yeah, I cant really think of any reason why Steamworks would cause a delay in a pirate release.

Whoops some crossed wires there :p, but the game did use compulsary Steam activation as a form of DRM and even that failed to stop piracy even in the short term.

SlickVic

brain_stew said:

Oh absolutely. I didn't mean to downplay the significance of that, just wasn't sure if SteamWorks played a role in stopping Day 0 piracy. I know people out there who would buy the game but see it's already out on the scene, don't feel like waiting for the official release, and just download it and play it. I know a lot of them say they'll buy it when it releases (and to their credit a good chunk probably do) but once you've played through the game, I can imagine a lot of people also say "well I beat the game, that's $50 saved" and there goes that sale.

brain_stew said:

360 Piracy more detrimental then PC.

Archie said:
What's funny is that apparently the 360 version is already pirated so that basically throws the whole piracy on PC argument out the window. :lol
Not really...

Just because one market has access to it doesn't mean they shouldn't want to maximize their sales in another.

mbmonk said:
Your follow up post really elaborated and clarified on your point. Now feel like I misunderstood the orginal post to some degree. Sorry.

Yeah no prob brah.

Choice is our friend! Down with IW.net!

/pitchforks

SlickVic said:
Oh absolutely. I didn't mean to downplay the significance of that, just wasn't sure if SteamWorks played a role in stopping Day 0 piracy. I know people out there who would buy the game but see it's already out on the scene, don't feel like waiting for the official release, and just download it and play it. I know a lot of them say they'll buy it when it releases (and to their credit a good chunk probably do) but once you've played through the game, I can imagine a lot of people also say "well I beat the game, that's $50 saved" and there goes that sale.

Espeically with a CoD game, i know the gaming press bends over backwards to praise them but as someone who actually favours a decent singleplayer over the rather homoginsed multiplayer or modern shooters (with notbale exeptions being Valve's offerings) they tend just to leave you feeling a little hollow for full whack. They are bad value unless you are obsessive about MP.

Especially now they have basically nuked the functionality and opennes of the PC version by banning mods and dedicated servers. We get it you want to bleed us like the console patsies. Don't be surprised if piracy rates are dizzyingly high. Of course IW will just take this as further evidence of the PC not being their market and up sticks.

(I really hate the console community of CoD4 BTW. Full of douchebags.)

Jackl

Curufinwe said:
I agree that 2fort is a stalemate with that many players, but 32 player servers take the goldrush maps on TF2 to a new level of fun, IMO. You say that 20 players is the magic number for you, but even if MW2 allowed that many players using P2P, it would be almost certainly be a lagfest compared to a 10 v. 10 game of Team Deathmatch on a CoD 4 dedicated server.

Thats the beauty. If you don't like 32 spam fest theres hundreds of locap more relaxed servers for you to choose from. You have the freedom of playing however you want.

The entire point of P2P-matchmaking only design is that there is no choice. Or even the capability for 32 player servers. I still don't understand why some are arguing over that.

RedSwirl

wmat said:
Are you sure? Because I don't see anything on the really big trackers.

Probably a fake upload.

I think someone said it was a crap upload and they're re-doing it. Plus I think it was also 360.

YuriLowell said:
360 Piracy more detrimental then PC.

No, absolutely not, but 360 versions do tend to be pirated earlier than their PC counterparts and for certain titles that may be more detrimental but that's not to say the PC version won't be pirated more in the long term, of course.

As to MW2 being pirated alredy, I think you're wrong on that if there's no one put it up at the the most popular torrent site in the world then it probably hasn't been cracked yet.

RedSwirl said:
I think someone said it was a crap upload and they're re-doing it. Plus I think it was also 360.

Well that sounds about right, I'd fully expect the 360 version to be pirated right around about now, the PC version will probably hold out until after launch but with IWs recent behaviour you can guarantee it'll be the number 1 target of every piracy group out there.

Fio

Let's not forget it's possible to play X360 online - via Live - with a pirated copy, which is impossible on PC.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A 360 version floating around the internet is no surprise. Most 360 games get ripped and uploaded a week or more before their release dates.

Top Bottom