• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble Indie Bundle 16 (Outlast, Never Alone, Trine 3, Door Kickers, & More)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Humble Indie Bundle 16 is live.

$1 Tier:
-Retro City Rampage DX
-Outlast
-Never Alone +DLC
-Includes an 80% off coupon for Outlast: Whistleblower

Beat the Average Tier:
-Trine 3
-Door Kickers
-(more to come next week)

Special Tier (BTA Tier +$2):
-Sunless Sea
-Else Heart.Break()

---

Sunless Sea alone is definitely worth the additional $2 extra over the average if you're interested in it. A very rounded bundle filled with a few indie gems definitely worth checking out. While fewer in quantity than some previous bundles, the quality is definitely there. Also have heard very good things on Else Heart.Break().

See how the new special tier being some amount over the BTA tier works out for them. Could make more incentive to make the jump and also raise prices.

jph139

Went for BTA this time, if only to finish the Trine trilogy... but I'm interested in the BTA + 2 level. Heard good things about Sunless Sea at least.

Dusk Golem

Went for BTA this time, if only to finish the Trine trilogy... but I'm interested in the BTA + 2 level. Heard good things about Sunless Sea at least.

I would say push for it, Sunless Sea is quite interesting, and since it's always going to be $2 above the average, it is definitely worth the additional $2 push.

Went for top tier this time myself as well.

Holy shit, great bundle! Else Heart.Break() is really fantastic - anyone interested in a weird, offbeat programming adventure game should beat that +2 average.

Card Boy

Banned
Frostbite must not really value their games, all I ever see is their games in a sale on every platform or as part of a bundle. That or that's the only way they ever sell and make money.

Gave them $0.90 for Never Alone. Feel kind of bad for choosing to pay so little, but I just spent a lot of money on a new hard drive and I don't care about the game that much.

DrArchon

If you missed out on Sunless Sea's free weekend a while back, you better pick it up here! Easily one of the best narrative games of 2015, and it's got content on the way.

I'm thinking about grabbing Never Alone. I've heard good things about it.

I wonder if this their strategy going forward (new bundle each week...so much for that being the point of the weekly bundle) or if this is a matter of Humble free to play bundle being so awful.

Not sure which tier I'll go for (especially with the £ being fucking worthless at the moment). I wouldn't mind giving Sunless Sea another go (I played a few hours on the free weekend) but I'm worried it doesn't get better and the early game if you want to play long term seemed a bit grindy.

Gave them $0.90 for Never Alone. Feel kind of bad for choosing to pay so little, but I just spent a lot of money on a new hard drive and I don't care about the game that much.
If you paid $0.10 more you would have steam keys and trading cards which could be sold for somewhat more than $0.10...if you spend about 8 hours getting them.

That is one fantastic bundle

Door Kickers, Else.Heart.Break, and Sunless Sea are all Best of 2015-tier games

Can't recommend them enough

bluexy

Solid indie bundle. Anyone else kind mystified why Outlast's Whistleblower DLC isn't included, but an 80% off coupon for it is? Why wouldn't they just move it up a tier? Or include the DLC in an upper tier? Man, Humble Bundle's weird anymore.

Beefbud

Neo Member
Won't be buying since I'm trying to not buy any new games this year, but it still only seems like an "ok" bundle; I already have Outlast and RCRDX, but Never Alone does look really good, and I would also be interested in playing Trine 3 at some point.

Holy shit, great bundle! Else Heart.Break() is really fantastic - anyone interested in a weird, offbeat programming adventure game should beat that +2 average.
Can you elaborate on the programming aspect? I mean.. if programming knowledge gives you an appreciation of the systems sort of like chemistry does to SpaceChem then that might be cool. If it's cringey jokes then. I think I will pass.

Going to wait and see anyway. I only want Outlast and Else.Heartbreak()

If you paid $0.10 more you would have steam keys and trading cards which could be sold for somewhat more than $0.10...if you spend about 8 hours getting them.

Yeah except I don't use Steam if I can possibly help it. I have a crap ton of unused Humble keys I could resell, but it feels... wrong. I mean, how is it different than just redistributing the DRM free copies?

Sesha

Great bundle in general, but not for me. I already own Outlast, RCR, Never Alone, and Else Heart.Break(), and the only other thing I'm interested in is Sunless Sea. Maybe Doorkickers, but I can't see myself ever playing it much with everything else I have looking anxiously at me from my Steam library. Guess I'll wait until next week for the rest.

Can you elaborate on the programming aspect? I mean.. if programming knowledge gives you an appreciation of the systems sort of like chemistry does to SpaceChem then that might be cool. If it's cringey jokes then. I think I will pass.

RPS explains it best (btw, it was the #1 Programming game on their list)
When you start playing this colourful Scandi adventure, you might be forgiven for thinking it’s a slow, ponderous point ‘n’ click with absolutely no direction. But persevere and you’ll find one of the smartest games you’ll ever play. Heart.Break() puts you in the bright green shoes of Sebastian (or Seb, if you want) who has moved to the big city of Dorisburg after landing the job of a soda salesman. You saunter around this strange city selling can after can to cranky citizens, most of whom don’t even want one.

What has any of this got to do with hacking? Well, as you start out in this brave new world of refreshment, you’ll meet some new friends. Also: a Girl. It becomes clear they are really a group of hacktivists fighting against the monstrous Computer Ministry. Soon you get your own ‘modifier’ – a device that lets you hack any usable object in the game.

At this point, Heart.Break() flips. You go around exploring the code of everything you can get your hands on. You find people who can teach you how to read and write in this code – a full-fledged programming language called SPRAK (the Swedish word for “language”). You start to play and mess with everyday objects in ways that help you to cheat the game. Normally, Sebastian gets tired every day and you have to go to bed before you collapse. But not if you hack a glass of water so it reduces your “sleepiness” by a factor of “100”. Small things like this are just the start. Want to hack a door so that it takes you halfway across the city? Figure it out. Want to transfer your body over the internet to the city’s central finance computer? You can do that. Want to rewrite the software of said finance computer so that everyone’s bank account is reduced to $0 and money itself is abolished, a la Tyler Durden? Do it. I did. And I do not regret a single line of code.

But the most wonderful think about Heart.Break() is its humanity and youthful exuberance. This isn’t just the murky, green glow of a screen, it’s a functioning city with drinkers, smokers, factory workers, hotel bell boys, bums, activists and bureaucrats. You get to see how your alterations affect the world around you, which ticks on regardless of your actions. And the world itself is a bright, gorgeous place, the art of Niklas Åkerblad and the rest of the team granting it a vibrancy you wouldn’t normally associate with computer programming. Soulful, vivid and clever, else Heart.Break() doesn’t settle for making you feel like a hacker. It makes you feel like a magician.

There is an in-universe programming language that you find documentation for, and are able to use to actually re-program tons of objects throughout the game world to do all sorts of things, or behave certain ways. It's pretty impressive. The language is familiar if you've used something like Visual Basic.

e: yeah More_Badass' quote does the job.

I wonder if this their strategy going forward (new bundle each week...so much for that being the point of the weekly bundle) or if this is a matter of Humble free to play bundle being so awful.

I think the timing is just weird on this one. They've done double bundles occasionally for Comics and Mobile before.

Interesting change in this bundle - by changing the high tier to average + 2 dollars there is no real "cap" for the bundle averages anymore. Have they done this before?

Since I already own Doorkickers, here's your chance for a free copy!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (super-famicom, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Doorkickers -- MB-D3D9B57F0B75D0F3 - Taken by eyeless. 15 entrants total.

t1456266905z1.png

There is an in-universe programming language that you find documentation for, and are able to use to actually re-program tons of objects throughout the game world to do all sorts of things, or behave certain ways. It's pretty impressive. The language is familiar if you've used something like Visual Basic.

e: yeah More_Badass' quote does the job.
RPS explains it best (btw, it was the #1 Programming game on their list)
Well I am sold. Strange that I'm so drawn to this but wasn't really interested in Hack n Slash's take on the construct of games. Thanks!

Dusk Golem

Not a ton of games like usual for this one. Kind of strange.

I view it more as quality vs quality, some of 2014/2015's best indie games are in there. Though is smaller than usual, though the games next week will probably add 2-3 games to the BTA tier.

Toki767

I view it more as quality vs quality, some of 2014/2015's best indie games are in there. Though is smaller than usual, though the games next week will probably add 2-3 games to the BTA tier.

I bought the BTA + $2 tier anyway. Was just an observation. The only game I had was Outlast.

Hmm. How the average price so high already?

Because people are buying the BTA + $2 tier.

Hmm. How the average price so high already?

Instead of everyone buying in at a few cents over the average to get the upper tiers, people are buying in at two dollars over the average. That's going to accelerate the average price pretty substantially.

Top Bottom