• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunt: Showdown | Launch Trailer.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hunt: Showdown is now out on Steam and Xbox!

Savage, nightmarish monsters roam the Louisiana swamps, and you are part of a group of rugged bounty hunters bound to rid the world of their ghastly presence. Banish these creatures from our world, and you will be paid generously—and given the chance to buy more gruesome and powerful weapons. Fail, and death will strip you of both character and gear. Your experience, however, remains in your pool of hunters—called your Bloodline—always.

Last edited:

Walledhouse

I had a lot of fun with a friend during a free weekend, but as Tesseract Tesseract mentioned, that price is too steep. They should have gone cheaper; made a limited free-to-play version / paid reward’s track; and pushed for more streamers. It isn’t too late, as it is; so I hope they turn a profit.

So story time: My friend and I joined a match with multiple bounties; and quickly enough saw that one team was banishing a boss way up north. We found the second boss, but chose not to engage straight away. We could hear gunshots of a different team making their way towards us so we decided to lay an ambush. We hung out next to the Butcher’s boss arena, enough to keep visibility of our targets but not enough to aggro anything. Sure enough, we see the enemy pair engage the Butcher.

We coordinate our assault, head-shotting one hunter from behind and throwing molotov cocktails onto he and his friend’s positions. It’s a messy fight but we not only come out victorious but we finish off the Butcher ourselves.

As we banish, we become aware that the other team has not extracted yet; they are coming to our position to collect a royal flush - two bounties! We know that they’ll have the ability to see us through walls; and we can see their approach vector at least. We close up all doors around the room and lay bear traps. We nab the coin as these two boys rock up which awards us the sight.

One boy has snuck around to a side gate. Me and my friend creep to a large on-rollers gate. He’s ready with a shotgun. On his signal my character wrenches the door across as he fires into the newly made gap. DEAD. We quickly reload and take stock; his friend is now out numbered and outside. We make some good calls and a massive clumsy shoot-out ensues; ending with a second molotov throw onto a roof-top he’s hiding on.

We loot everyone’s (four) bodies and escape with two coins each. We don’t see or hear any other players after killing those two teams but we never stop packing it as the extraction counts down. Awards and accolades rained down, screenshots were taken.

I managed to loot a proper scoped rifle off one of our attackers; and a silenced pistol. I was delighted to see I got to keep that loot after the match.

Jooxed

Gold Member
This is on sale currently and my brother and I are looking to pick it up anyone currently playing ?

ksdixon

from the launch trailer i'm getting a feel of TLOU MP 4v4, but with monster enemies thrown-in giving it a hint of L4D?

So basically, the MP mode that everyone wanted in TLOU with 4v4 but with infected thrown-in.

Is this a fair equivenalnt game comparisson?

FeiRR

Banned
I played a couple of rounds yesterday and had a lot of fun. The pace is slow with sound being the primary source of awareness, aiming is difficult and reload takes ages. You progress slowly while heavily relying on your teammates. Zombies can be dangerous as they seem to be stupid and unaware at first and then, bam!, they start rushing at you fast so you fight for your life and make a lot of noise which is heard throughout the map and attracts other players. PvP encounters I had were all one-shot-kill (with possibility of being revived by teammates unless they finish you, for example, by burning your body). My first game ended quickly as I was wading some swamp and a monster straight out of Lovecraft's deepest dreams finished me off in a blink (not revivable). The next two rounds were more lucky (being careful is paramount), as I got some player kills (1 and 2, IIRC) and extracted both times successfully after killing the Butcher (boss).

We'll play more tonight. For me, the game is well worth the money. If they continue support after launch (another map, modes, weapons, etc.), it might have a potential to live on. My only problem so far is graphics. Cryengine sucks, textures load too late (even from SSD) and resolution isn't great. But it's just an aesthetic problem because for me because of the way I play shooters (very close to a big screen). You don't need to spot enemies far away because you'll hear them much earlier. Also, due to thick vegetation and the fact that most focus points are inside buildings, you mostly fight close quarters. Additionally, the mechanics (difficult aiming, iron sights only) don't allow for quick scoping and similar techniques.

I think this new PvP/PvE/BR mix sub-genre is something I'd like to see more in next gen shooters, especially with new hardware sound capabilities. The only other game which I know of that has similar mechanics is Escape from Tarkov, which I cannot really enjoy as it's virtually impossible to play with a joypad.

Vol5

The game has seen an increase in PC player count due to a steam sale going on now....let's see if cross play happens. Although due to the way it plays, controller players will get absolutely smoked by M/K users.

I hope more players pick this up though as it's truly outstanding with lots of tension and depth. Invokes an increase in heart rate in nearly every-game I've played. I've put in well over 100 hours now and there's still new things to discover about the map, working your opponents, effective use of guns, traps, consumables, etc and generally how to get good through the environment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom