• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunted The Demon's Forge |OT|

oktarb

I find myself liking this game for really only one reason. There's a ton of secrets and puzzles and they can be hard to solve. That gets be exploring.

Things I don't like:

- They lost a key point for a horrible loot system. You just replace your currently equipped bow/sword. find a purple bow that rocks, awesome, but wait, it comes with charges. Once those run out its just normal bow. begs to ask why I would want to bang my head against a wall to find temporarily good gear.

- Cover system. Why? I've played both characters and never use cover. I roll dodge and strafe. Cover terrain just warns me a fight is coming. It's like a giant sign "THIS AREA IS A FIGHT AREA"

- The Power tree is extremely limited. I would have liked a lot more depth to my skill tree.

oktarb

LocoMrPollock said:
I think that's kind of what they were going for. It's an action game set in a fantasy world. It's not an rpg or even an arpg.

I hear you, but perhaps they should have gone further. Instead of color coding my weapons (White, Green Purple ect) they could have gone with a more refine set of permanent weapon. Sword, Axe, Bow, crossbow ect.

Right now it just seems like I'm swapping gear out all the time. it's not like weapon racks are rare. I never really care about my weapon because a) any special bonuses wear off after X hits and B) there's a weapon rack right around the corner.

Day late and dollar short for advice but I would have had a couple weapons per char that you can upgrade. You keep the weapon and hug it when you sleep. This would support the more action geared game.

I mean what makes you feel like you're getting anywhere?
- Weapons that change constantly.
- Gold that you don't use for the game game.
- you can only hold a couple potions.
- you get powers but guess what? You can't save up for the more powerful ones because - they're locked until Chapter 5. So you end up buying all the different cheap versions.

But hey I like it better the LA Noir! Bought both on the same day.

Ricker

Enjoying this one as well despite some levels being really dark and the lousy save system...some of you here warned about that but I got caught early on trying to do a sidequest but opened a door that closed behind me and you can`t go back through it,with a nice auto save right after...bye bye sidequest(I found 2 out of the 4 runes)...still this is way better then I figured so it`s a nice surprise so far(almost done with chapter 2,on a sidequest now so i`ll avoid following the bread crumbs) lol.

Moofers

So has this hit the $40 mark anywhere yet? I know the guy above me says Target, but those are always case by case. My target never has any good deals anymore either.

For those who have this game, how good was the 'create your own arena' thing? How much control do you have in making rooms and populating it with enemies? Also do you bring in your character progress from the main game or is it completely separate? Thanks.

Moofers

Neuromancer said:
For those who have this game, how good was the 'create your own arena' thing? How much control do you have in making rooms and populating it with enemies? Also do you bring in your character progress from the main game or is it completely separate? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you bring in your own characters. I tried this for the first time last night and my E'Lara was the same one I had been developing in the main game, but I did have some decked out gear I don't remember finding.

Cmagus

Just finished the game.Overall pretty enjoyable much better than I thought it was gonna be.The combat was fast and fluid and I was surprised how much it feels like Gears of War with the cover system and feel.Also the game is really good looking some parts were gorgeous.I also liked the story alot it was entertaining overall, except the ending bit of a let down.I played the entire game as Elara I really enjoyed the bow stuff.I was surprised at the difficulty ramp up the first two chapters are kind of challenging then it just ramps way up in chapter 3 but it really kept alot of the big fights intense and interesting.

Bukana

I am about to purchase this game,

I have two questions:

1. Do both players gain the same items found in co-op mode?

2.Does the online co-op works like one player's story, or will it act as if I was playing alone !?

3. Will the 2nd player be involved in the story too !?).

4. Does the online coop require split-screen !?

Thank you,

Seventy5

Bukana said:
I am about to purchase this game,

I have two questions:

1. Do both players gain the same items found in co-op mode?

2.Does the online co-op works like one player's story, or will it act as if I was playing alone !?

3. Will the 2nd player be involved in the story too !?).

4. Does the online coop require split-screen !?

Thank you,
1. Yes, both players get the gold they find, and weapons.
2. You play the host's progression, but you keep everything you find during your session.
3. Both characters are involved in all cutscenes, if that's what you mean. Even single player both characters are involved in the story.
4. No, you have your own screen and there is no tether like Fable, Mercenaries 2 or Dungeon Siege 3.

Hope that helps.

Bukana

Seventy5 said:
1. Yes, both players get the gold they find, and weapons.
2. You play the host's progression, but you keep everything you find during your session.
3. Both characters are involved in all cutscenes, if that's what you mean. Even single player both characters are involved in the story.
4. No, you have your own screen and there is no tether like Fable, Mercenaries 2 or Dungeon Siege 3.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much sir.
That helps a lot.

woodypop

So Amazon has this for $17 and I think I'm finally gonna bite. Is there a preferred platform? (PS3 or 360?) I've heard of some bugs, have they been ironed out?

woodypop said:
So Amazon has this for $17 and I think I'm finally gonna bite. Is there a preferred platform? (PS3 or 360?) I've heard of some bugs, have they been ironed out?
There haven't been any patches as far as I know of.

The reviews talked about millions of game-breaking bugs, but to be honest, I've played the PS3 version for quite a bit and never experienced anything of the sort. Either I'm amazingly lucky or the reviewers were exaggerating as usual.

I don't think the game performs better on a particular platform. The game uses Unreal Engine, works well on 360 from what I've seen and it's well optimized on PS3 too. Don't expect much graphical prowess, it's just good clean fun without fancy tech stuff. Framerate is good on both platforms since there's not a load of graphical complexity nor heavy effects going on.

Rolf NB

So ... Hunted.

Hideous looking game. Never hire this art director into an art direction position ever again.
Full of laughable clichés. All this "dead stone" business really reaches new lows in the wow-so-you-were-killed-I'd-never-have-seen-this-coming department of deep basement fantasy auteurship.

Combat pretty dumb. Spells help. Ranged is pretty powerful, until the moment when your AI buddy stands directly between you and the closest enemy. Which is always, most of the time.

But it's somehow inoffensive. I'm always kind of glad when I reach a checkpoint, because then I can switch it off and walk away, but I'll play again for a bit the next day.

Rolf NB

Seth Balmore said:
There haven't been any patches as far as I know of.

The reviews talked about millions of game-breaking bugs, but to be honest, I've played the PS3 version for quite a bit and never experienced anything of the sort. Either I'm amazingly lucky or the reviewers were exaggerating as usual.
I encountered only two things that might have been bugs so far.

One was when I entered some sort of prison room and nuked the fuck out of everything with the brimstone spell. I ended up "freeing" a prisoner with the splash damage from the spell, through a closed door (my freed prisoner counter went up, too). The scripting didn't seem to fully acknowledge this though, because the good woman would keep yelling for help, even after I opened her cell door afterwards.

The other was when I was riding the bell tram. I moved it back to the first connection and couldn't get off. There was some sort of invisible wall. A newly spawned enemy kept charging against it, but never attacked. I could whack him dead slowly with melee attacks. Arrows didn't want to pass over though. Could only get off by moving the bell away and back again.

I think I'm on chapter 2.

Moofers

Story is entertaining, characters are likeable, funny discussions take place, the action is fun, it controls well, and the combat is satisfying. What's not to like?

Seriously, I'm on the last chapter now and have really been enjoying this. I think its a way underrated game and people who pick it apart need to get over themselves and remember how to just play a fucking game to have fun.

This game is not glitchy. Dead Island is glitchy. FALLOUT is glitchy. This has no such game breaking bugs like those games. Graphics are fine some of the time, great at other times. Art direction really shines in the outdoor areas, IMO. Main characters look cool (especially E'lara).

Its sub $30 pretty much everywhere right now. Definitely worth picking up if you buy games to play them and have fun as opposed to buying them to pick them apart so you can shit all over them on internet forums.

Rolf NB

'nother fun glitch-not-bug. At the end of chapter 2 there's a sort of mini-boss fight and afterwards a little riding of an elevator, then three hops deeper down into a hole, then a walk, then a last drop into a lair of sorts.

So the first time I do the mini-boss fight, I ride down the elevator and do the hops. I turn around on one of the ledges to see if there's maybe some goodie hidden behind me. Coop AI jumps first. I follow. Instead of landing of the floor I rebound and bounce three or four times off their head. ZOOM. Insta-warp into the lair, the boss script seems to be running and I get stomped before I even regain control.

Reloading last checkpoint ...

Oh great it's before the mini-boss thing. Doing that all over again, then the elevator, then the hops. I make sure to go first quick off the ledges. To my horror, coop AI gets stuck in the side of a rock, in a constant loop of sprinting animation and jumping noises. Thankfully, she drops right onto my head as I reach the coop switcharoo stone conveniently placed before the final drop into the lair.

And did I mention the game is hideous? Not only the graphics. Everything about it. The NPC writing and voice acting is hilariously terrible. Middle school fantasy tropes all presented by the same two voice actors, in a never-ending inferno of Scottish and Irish accents.

Good thing I don't give a damn about game stories, because man, this here is shameful.

edit: another thing to add: I don't want to give away how ch2 ends, and I won't. But after seeing it, my expectation for the next chapter transition is that Elara says "Ok let's go to the lava level" and Caddock replies "Aye aye, girl" - fade to black - boing - lava level.

ced

I'm at a Temple with Minotaurs and I don't think I can take it anymore.

The combat was fun enough for a couple chapters but now it's just the same shit over and over. As has been mentioned, the gear and abilities progression is so bad in this game. You get gold that I have yet to use for anything, what's the damn point?

The little bit of secret areas are pretty good and about the only thing that kept me going.

Oh and if your going to have a scantly clad elf as a character at least make sure her exposed ass is modeled well. I mean you have to stare at her backside for hours and watch the butt cheeks clip into the legs etc.

Rolf NB

Chapter 5 is nice. Finally some good graphics! I approve!

What disturbs me about the characters is all those self-shadowing artifacts that make them look like they're coated in wandering layers of dirt. The modeling itself is fine on the main characters IMO. Pale Guide Lady looks genuinely shitty though.

Had more glitches. More shitty death stone experiences. "I do not know whose blade killed me, but I did not die alone". Srsly, is this supposed to add to the world? Because it doesn't. Having to wait 10 seconds between clicking the body and the terribad narration even kicking in is also super annoying.

Speaking of super annoying, why does this game move me through one-way doors so much in cutscenes that are triggered by walking nowhere even near the door. I've missed another dragon tear this way. Just play the goddamn cutscene after I've opened the door myself.
And let me loot the area after a boss fight.
And why the fuck can't I pick up gold by just walking over it. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentaly picked up crappy shields just because they happened to fall near some gold.
And yeah, what is gold even used for?
And why is there no picture of the control mapping anywhere in the game, isn't that like a certification requirement or something? I had to go on Gamefaqs to figure out how to do a battle charge.

My game finally froze when I offed the chapter 5 boss. Trophy sound played, but the notification didn't pop up, it was already dead at that point. Had to turn off with the power switch. I just hope it didn't eat my saves.

Rolf NB

Bad ending get. That wasn't my choice. I only ended up drinking the stuff because I was trying to pick up some gold off the ground.

33% trophy completion. In the hypothetical scenario where people actually check out other's trophies, and they see this, it'll appear as if I stopped playing the game long before it ended. Fine by me.

ram

just bought the game für cheap - but yeah what a waste of money. i cant believe that the game is just real garbage. the whole coop doesnt work - the ai is total stupid. the fighting system is even worse and the the controls, ui etc. are really a pain in tha ass to use.

its just a bad game, bad developed and really not nearly worth 60€ or whatever bethesda wanted from gamers at launch.

with the crappy and boring dungeon siege III - i cant believe that there is no dev out there, that can make a compelling hack & slay game.

Ricker

Can`t beat the last Boss,another game that is not that hard but when you reach the last Boss it`s an annoying mess(Risen,Two Worlds II and this) but I had fun with it...I mostly played with the guy,might do another playthrough at some point with the girl.

Ken

ram said:
i cant believe that there is no dev out there, that can make a compelling hack & slay game.

Give LotR: War in the North a try.

OT

It's not the most amazing game out there, but it does enough right that I'm having way more fun with it than Hunted.

got this in the bethesda bundle of steam and just got around to installing it and giving it a shot.

This game does so many things wrong in the first 15 minutes I'm gobsmacked.

- checkpoints immediately before unskippable cutscenes
- "danger run!" moments where nothing actually happens if you don't move.
- takes control away from the player every thirty seconds to flash up messages. sometimes blocking you from moving until you do a roll, god knows why.
- ai sidekick charges off and dies immediately. i think it was scripted to do that for the tutorial but it just made the AI look idiotic.
- cardinal sin of having no SAVE button, and yet when you quit you get the "unsaved progress will be lost" message. Devs take note: this is fucking dumb. If I can't actually save the game, don't give me this warning. say something like "Gameplay will resume from the last checkpoint" or whatever.

but frankly the worst thing about it is how shooting the bow has absolutely no fun to it. minecraft has better bow combat ffs.

edit: the one thing it did totally right was on completion of the tutorial level it asked if i wanted to quit to the main menu.

Top Bottom