• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunted The Demon's Forge |OT|

http://www.vgrevolution.com/2011/05/hunted-the-demons-forge-review/
I wasn’t even aware of this title before PAX East. My friend mentioned wanting to check it out and me being a fan of hack-n-slash titles, I obliged. I feel that inXile has improved upon the hack-n-slash action adventure genre with this title and competitors now have to take notes. With several of these games coming out (or already out) like The First Templar, Lord of the Rings: War in the North, and The Cursed Crusade it will take a lot to stand out in this crowded season.

The best way I can describe it though is that Hunted is a blend of classic hack-n-slash mixed with various improvements big and small, with nice additions that allow for much more replayability that is rare for these types of games.

On a scale of 1-10 I felt like I reached a level of complete badass. What I am trying to say is inXile didn’t simply create a setting and choose where enemies appear, I feel that they built the maps around the way they wanted enemies to be positioned. The difference that makes in gameplay is monumental yet unnoticeable because you feel like this is how it should be in these games.
9kFhI.jpg

Des0lar said:
Hm, GameStop here is offering 50% off on this game for all "Gamers Card Members", which is free.
So this game is bomba?
HamPster PamPster said:
Nothing like this at my local gamestop which sucks because I'd probably pick it up for $30

Just random trade in bonus bullshit

I'm sure it will drop pretty fast though
Me neither. What exactly is a "Gamers Card Member" - all Gamestop has is the PowerUP Rewards. I am confused.

I would pick this up for $25.

I bought it (360), installing it now, but havent had a chance to play it yet nor will I because of having to crash here soon to get up for work bright and early.

A buddy of mine picked it up, asked him how it was and all he said was "Good. Also buggy." Apparently his character keeps getting stuck and the only way to get him unstuck is to pause and unpause. Weird.

Teknoman

So you can get the PC version for free via insiders huh? Man the only games there are Rage, Brink, this and Skyrim...if they've offered 2 out of the 4 for free...I wonder if they'll do the same for those two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvNuVdfaee8 Part 1 through...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UweoJb-r0oc Part 40 (!)

kind of short...

...those giant spiders are straight out of the scourge project...

...so hunted is literally the epitome of every mediocre UE3 coop cover shooter ever?

Teknoman said:
So you can get the PC version for free via insiders huh? Man the only games there are Rage, Brink, this and Skyrim...if they've offered 2 out of the 4 for free...I wonder if they'll do the same for those two?
What are you talking about? What is "insiders?"

Mairu

Metal Gear?! said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvNuVdfaee8 Part 1 through...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UweoJb-r0oc Part 40 (!)

kind of short...

...those giant spiders are straight out of the scourge project...

...so hunted is literally the epitome of every mediocre UE3 coop cover shooter ever?

What are you talking about? What is "insiders?"
retail employee website

If anyone picks up the PC version I'd still like to try out co-op, don't think I'll spend much more time on the single player

Changed my mind again, and purchased the game off Steam. I just can't let my GTX 570 sit idle when there's a PC version of any game I'm interested in.

Hope there is a split-screen patch or hack one of these days.

Mairu

RobertM said:
Oh yea, and it does it without the shooting mechanics. Literally, half the time you can't see shit it's that dark.
gVhaG.jpg

how cool are really long corridors that serve no purpose other than to blind you

Seventy5

Mairu said:
gVhaG.jpg

how cool are really long corridors that serve no purpose other than to blind you
If you're playing as E'lara there is usually a torch somewhere nearby that you can get some fire for light....so there's that. If you're playing Caddoc though, uhh, shame on you?

Mairu

Seventy5 said:
If you're playing as E'lara there is usually a torch somewhere nearby that you can get some fire for light....so there's that. If you're playing Caddoc though, uhh, shame on you?
I agree about the last part. From what I played the game really punishes you for not choosing E'lara (or co-oping with someone playing as E'lara). Too many archers. It's also really frustrating that the torch is the melee weapon so if there does happen to be a torch nearby and you pick it up, you're giving away your melee weapon for a shit club just for light :/

Grisby

Just got through the prologue and nearing the end of ch1.

First, the game is rough in the graphics department. But later on the visuals become a lot nicer in the second level. The controls take some time to get used to but it is mostly gears so you should be able to adapt.

I like it. The combat is fun and theres some nice skills you can mess about with. A nice dynamic form when Elara is firing bows from the back and Codrick is tanking in the front. Its a full out action game that really is trying to be a medieval gears.

Another nice thing is that theres some optional puzzles in the levels that you can pursue id you want. Leads to better weapons and gold.

Not much of a story yet and it looks to be kinda hokey. However, the two mains are constantly bantering to each other and it makes for some fun times. Decent voice actors too.

These are just some hurried impressions. Everything is kinda average but nothing is broken. Probably should have been a 40 dollar game. Having a good time though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Grisby said:
Just got through the prologue and nearing the end of ch1.

First, the game is rough in the graphics department. But later on the visuals become a lot nicer in the second level. The controls take some time to get used to but it is mostly gears so you should be able to adapt.

I like it. The combat is fun and theres some nice skills you can mess about with. A nice dynamic form when Elara is firing bows from the back and Codrick is tanking in the front. Its a full out action game that really is trying to be a medieval gears.

Another nice thing is that theres some optional puzzles in the levels that you can pursue id you want. Leads to better weapons and gold.

Not much of a story yet and it looks to be kinda hokey. However, the two mains are constantly bantering to each other and it makes for some fun times. Decent voice actors too.

These are just some hurried impressions. Everything is kinda average but nothing is broken. Probably should have been a 40 dollar game. Having a good time though.

So its essentially an action game and kids were hoping for a looter because...the fantasy setting? Going by the youtube footage you can switch between the two characters. Outside of the graphics, the game doesn't look bad, depending on what you're expecting I guess.

Teknoman

truly101 said:
So its essentially an action game and kids were hoping for a looter because...the fantasy setting? Going by the youtube footage you can switch between the two characters. Outside of the graphics, the game doesn't look bad, depending on what you're expecting I guess.

Looking at the videos it seems kinda cool.

Seventy5 said:
He can also pickup said torch.

Grisby

truly101 said:

Its an action game and at certain parts of the level you can change characters if you want. I thought there might be loot in it but its all about finding crystals to up your spells and weapon abilities. You do find better weapons and stuff but its not really a 'find something on every 'enemy' type deal.

Teknoman said:
That bad? (im guessing the gaming guarantee is something about returns)
Yup, one week return.

For $60, I can do a lot better. Visually the game doesn't look that good, and the models are anywhere from average to just bad (The close up of the skeleton revive cutscene was just laughable). The gameplay's average at best, feels like a cross between a hack and slash, a shooter and some light looting, but doesn't know what it wants to be. I may get it back when it's at a cheaper price.

RobertM

Mairu said:
I agree about the last part. From what I played the game really punishes you for not choosing E'lara (or co-oping with someone playing as E'lara). Too many archers. It's also really frustrating that the torch is the melee weapon so if there does happen to be a torch nearby and you pick it up, you're giving away your melee weapon for a shit club just for light :/
BTW, have you figured out how to use that "backup weapon" slot? This game is straining my eyes with its darkness.

Teknoman

AlphaTwo00 said:
Yup, one week return.

For $60, I can do a lot better. Visually the game doesn't look that good, and the models are anywhere from average to just bad (The close up of the skeleton revive cutscene was just laughable). The gameplay's average at best, feels like a cross between a hack and slash, a shooter and some light looting, but doesn't know what it wants to be. I may get it back when it's at a cheaper price.

Wow, Gamestop in the states needs to adopt that for new games.

Mairu

RobertM said:
BTW, have you figured out how to use that "backup weapon" slot? This game is straining my eyes with its darkness.
There's a backup weapon slot? I honestly haven't played since this morning because it doesn't seem worth my time unless I can find someone to do co-op with. If someone more experienced can tell me how common the crystals are, I'm just disappointed that I wasted so many on the melee dude when he seems pretty bad compared to archer chick.

Teknoman said:
Wow, Gamestop in the states needs to adopt that for new games.
They do it around once a month, usually has been on games they expect to either bomb, or games that are borderline going to succeed. Previous games included:

Lost Planet 2
Dead Rising 2
Shift 2
Test Drive U2
Fallout New Vegas
Goldeneye
God of War 3...

So yeah, it's been hit and miss.

http://thecontrolleronline.com/?p=2030
With co-op being something we love, and this game being a great co-op adventure, we can’t not recommend picking this one up. Even if you don’t like co-op or have no friends that play online, the single player is still a great time. With a good story and with well done combat and cover systems, Hunted will easily be on your list of great games this year.

Score: 9/10
Who are these people?

this game is gross. besides being a sloppy take on gears co-op gameplay in a banal gothicky fantasy universe, the elf chick wears no underwear yet simultaneously lacks a muff texture -- her crotch is nothing but an uncanny valley of absurd geometric intersections. i wouldn't care, but the camera and the sexually dysfunctional art staff feel the urge to show this to me every five seconds and it is a euclidian kinda icky i'd never expected. what's wrong with an underwear texture, freaks? WHAT IS WRONG WITH PANTS AND JUNGLE TROMPIN' BOOTS

Maybe people should play past chapter 1-2 before shitting on it. Game gets pretty fun once you get a bigger mana pool (more potion slots), and as you encounter a wider variety of monsters, you really have to plan fights which I find enjoyable.

Game is also way tougher in coop (= more fun). In solo, the partner practically never dies, Caddoc tanks too well.

So far I'm enjoying it, wasn't expecting an RPG in the first place so I can't complain about that. The dialogues between Elera and Caddoc are amusing too. The worst parts are the Gears sections, where it's find cover and shoot waves of archers.

Just got a chance to play through the prologue, and so far it's been enjoyable. I can tell right now that Elara is going to be getting most of the playtime. I just enjoyed the long range combat more than the hacky-slashy.

Seems to control decently, certainly not as janky as something like Venetica. Runs smooth as butter on the PC so far, probably not very demanding if that's a concern.

I enjoyed the banter between the two characters, who are well acted. Won't be turning off the voices for this one.

Overall, it's likely appropriate to it's budget; some good ideas, limited by not having the budget to fully follow through on them and tweak them to perfection. Mid-level Gears of the Rings style art, with console-level textures.

I'll have to load the game up on another computer and see if I can get my wife interested in some Lan Co-op. I don't do multiplayer beyond that.

Since I won't get a chance to play more tonight, things certainly have the potential to go south the further into the game I get tomorrow. We'll see.

Vargavinter

Have aynone tried it local co-op? Since me and a friend are planning to play together on my TV (50") im wondering how it turns out? Anyone tried offline co-op yet?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just played a few hours in coop with my bud and I find the hate here very confusing?

This game is fun as hell, it's like a cooperative Enclave with better combat. Thumbs up so far.

Mairu

Sinatar said:
Just played a few hours in coop with my bud and I find the hate here very confusing?

This game is fun as hell, it's like a cooperative Enclave with better combat. Thumbs up so far.
Cooperative play makes everything better. I think a lot of the complaints are pretty legitimate. I still want to try playing it out co-op, but no one I know got the game :p

MightyKAC

Ok I don't know HOW the hell those reviewers came up with a 9.3 for gameplay but the game I played controlled like shit. The bow and arrow shooting felt more like a crappy handgun. *Plink* *Plink* *Plink* no draw back, no reload and no stopping power. The melee system was in dire need of a lock on system or something. Swinging inaccurate as all hell and half the time I wasn't even sure if my shield block was working or not. Maybe it gets better later on, I dunno and maybe the co-op is the best thing since sliced bread. But not only will I not be playing this long enough to find out I CERTAINLY won't be subjecting anyone else to the hell of playing this game with me.

Edit: My bad, the bow does have draw back but doesn't really affect anything.

I don't know..when Bethesda has use to that Gears quote to promote the game, that's scary.

That stream really made me not want to play this at all =/

Sinatar said:

Thank you! Was looking for an excuse to actually keep my preorder.

its a shame that you cant alternate characters on the fly, as it gets boring doing just ranged attacks with the female and there aren't any weapon skills to use to make melee more interesting for her.

also, as the guy, melee seems a tactically worse decision most of the time so I end up using the much-less-satisfying ranged attacks and wishing to alternate to the female.

Has anyone made it past the second chapter? The intro showed some interesting locations, I am hoping for some color versus the VERY dark second chapter.

VisanidethDM said:
I'm wondering why they state the replay value is so high. It's not a lootrush game.

I played it for a bit last night and it appears there are branching paths leading to hidden areas with weapons, items, extra "bosses", etc.

cleveridea said:
its a shame that you cant alternate characters on the fly,

Probably my largest problem with the game. Otherwise, I'm actually enjoying it. I've had my eye on it for quite some time and right before release it received a bunch of negative commentary. I'm glad I went with my gut.

I'm also pretty pleased with the dialogue. "You can tell we're in the good part of town,
the dead are wearing nicer clothes."
(Or something to that effect.) inXile is alive and well.

Can't wait to get home and play a more.

FrostuTheNinja said:
I played it for a bit last night and it appears there are branching paths leading to hidden areas with weapons, items, extra "bosses", etc.

Probably my largest problem with the game. Otherwise, I'm actually enjoying it. I've had my eye on it for quite some time and right before release it received a bunch of negative commentary. I'm glad I went with my gut.

I'm also pretty pleased with the dialogue. "You can tell we're in the good part of town,
the dead are wearing nicer clothes."
(Or something to that effect.) inXile is alive and well.

Can't wait to get home and play a more.

yeah that describes me too! I was looking forward to it, then there were low expectations before trying it. and man I am not sure if its a game bug or what but "vsync on" didnt work until the second chapter, so it looked awful.

yet I found the basic action quite addictive thanks to 60fps and visceral combat, love the sound effects and impact effects. it also requires tactics to hit enemies in melee vs spamming buttons.

the skill trees also remind me of DA2 in that you can unlock further perks to a given ability to improve it. I love elemental weapons to destroy enemies into little particles

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Still no media reviews on Metacritic, user reviews seem to be that people either really like it or really hate it.

truly101 said:
Still no media reviews on Metacritic, user reviews seem to be that people either really like it or really hate it.

I imagine reviews will be similar to First Templar or Venetica or any other low production value Action-RPG type game. For me, I love the genre and appreciate something different than the usual clones of FPS etc.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
VisanidethDM said:
I'm wondering why they state the replay value is so high. It's not a lootrush game.

Dunno, but thing is "loot" games are not the only kind of games with high replay value.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
cleveridea said:
I imagine reviews will be similar to First Templar or Venetica or any other low production value Action-RPG type game. For me, I love the genre and appreciate something different than the usual clones of FPS etc.

How is the First Templar anyway? I loved Venetica, just got to the Doge's palace so I shouldn't have too much left.

Totobeni said:
Dunno, but thing is "loot" games are not the only kind of games with high replay value.

Well, look at Diablo. You play it several time in the same playthrough. Diablo 2 epitomized that by resetting mobs every time you logged off.

Grisby

Square Triangle said:
I don't know..when Bethesda has use to that Gears quote to promote the game, that's scary.

That stream really made me not want to play this at all =/

It feels like a first gen gears. Well, not quite as polished as the first gears.

Top Bottom