• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunted The Demon's Forge |OT|

TheUsual

Gold Member
I'm hoping for a demo. Been searching around to see if there's any word on one and I haven't found anything yet.

dejan said:

tumblr_lg5o9ysKqD1qf7bkxo1_500.gif

Really I must say oh my sir.

Aaron

TheUsual said:
I'm hoping for a demo. Been searching around to see if there's any word on one and I haven't found anything yet.
I believe the word was there wouldn't be a demo.

Even IGN hasn't put out a review. That's odd. I'm guessing they didn't send out review copies.

RobertM

sweetvar26 said:
What do you mean by there is no leveling system? What do you earn the experience for?
There is no character leveling system in place. This is not an RPG, just an action game. Also I shouldn't have used the word "experience", this screenshot should explain it a bit:
rEWcL.jpg

Your attributes increase as you kill more and collect various items.
This is how weapon pick-up looks like as explained by Mairu:
Lzu3V.jpg

Menu with info:
tskD7.jpg

Your magic tree:
JBWhx.jpg

pkeMf.jpg

Wrg0l.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of gold and what these tiers represent.
Wai75.jpg

Do not buy this game, or if you do, at bargain bin prices. You're better of replaying Lord of the Rings games on PS2 than this turd of a game.

RobertM said:
Do not buy this game, or if you do, at bargain bin prices. You're better of replaying Lord of the Rings games on PS2 than this turd of a game.

Ouch, thats pretty harsh. I had high hopes for this game, outside of being a bit shallow from the character building side though is there anything bad/monotonous about the gameplay?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
RobertM said:
There is no character leveling system in place. This is not an RPG, just an action game. Also I shouldn't have used the word "experience", this screenshot should explain it a bit:
http://i.imgur.com/rEWcL.jpg
Your attributes increase as you kill more and collect various items.
This is how weapon pick-up looks like as explained by Mairu:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Lzu3V.jpg
Menu with info:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tskD7.jpg
Your magic tree:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JBWhx.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pkeMf.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Wrg0l.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of gold and what these tiers represent.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Wai75.jpg

Do not buy this game, or if you do, at bargain bin prices. You're better of replaying Lord of the Rings games on PS2 than this turd of a game.[/QUOTE]

Oh well..at least Treyarch logo is in the game...

RobertM said:

Ouch, what seems to be the issue? Technical problems like framerate or the gameplay design?

I see that you are playing the PS3 version.

cleveridea said:
wow this is a rough pc port, super ugly right now as it is ignoring "Vertical Sync" being on

Weird, seems like problem resolved itself on second level. graphics look better (albeit very dark) and looks like vsync is now handled

seems very mediocre game so far, although I do like effects when eg freeze shattering enemies to pieces.

Ken

I think gold's only purpose is to unlock things to use in the Crucible (unlock this mob type with n gold so you can place it in your maps). So basically if you never intend to bother with making dungeons, gold is meaningless.

Found it amusing that the game asked me if I wanted to go back to the main menu or keep playing the campaign after completing the prologue. I guess the developers didn't like the campaign much themselves.

whatevermort said:
Not entirely sure what this means - though I have a theory - but the embargo for Eurogamer is thursday.

Enough time for US Amazon orders to ship out.

Seventy5

So I just played a level in co-op, and I made & played a Crucible level. I had a good time with both. The co-op reminds me of Gears in a fantasy setting. The Crucible stuff is basically create & share your own horde mode. I think I'll enjoy that, I'm always down for some horde mode. Definitely not much in the way of RPG elements other than your upgrades, but I'm having a good time.

Also to the poster above, the gold you collect unlocks things in Crucible. As far as I can tell that's the only purpose for it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ok, wtf at those loot screens, do those designers really think comparing loot stats is too difficult and time consuming and hardcore so they decide to try and make it simpler and simpler and simpler for such games? Hack and slashers are already casual dudes, don't try to dumb them down, just try and design them well in their combat and levels and encounters and excuses of a story/setting etc... Don't like seeing even Gamasutra using terms like "triple A" either, meh.

How exactly does one embargo reviews for something that can be bought in the store? Pretty much means you or I can review something, but IGN or whatever can't.

aegies

We (IGN) don't have a review up because we weren't sent review copies. Our reviewer is at Gamestop right now picking up PS3 and 360 copies for review. Make of that what you will.

I thought this was way more RPG then it seems to be. I feel mislead but I don't know who mislead me!

Looking forward to see what the Crucible brings. If the user levels get creative and interesting I'll pick this up down the line.

aegies said:
We (IGN) don't have a review up because we weren't sent review copies. Our reviewer is at Gamestop right now picking up PS3 and 360 copies for review. Make of that what you will.

Oh man you can just feel the publisher's confidence radiating from this release

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Hm, GameStop here is offering 50% off on this game for all "Gamers Card Members", which is free.
So this game is bomba?

Symphonic

Thought the custom dungeons and what not in this game would have made it awesome, looks like that's not going to be the case.

aegies said:

Going to keep pretending the pc doesn't exist eh.

Seventy5

Sinatar said:
It's not like being a medieval action game is necessarily a bad thing.
Thats exactly what this game is. It's not really an RPG other than getting to upgrade your magic spells and abilities. I've been playing for about 3 hours and I'm enjoying it. I'm trying to find more gold so I can make some Crucible levels with better enemies. A dude on my friend list asked me if I like it and he ran out and bought it, so I'll probably play a lot of co-op. This is one of those types of games like Lost Planet where you do levels over again to get more gold & stuff to upgrade. I don't really see why people are shitting on it, but I enjoyed the shit out of games like The Club and Brink, so maybe I just like B tier games.

Xater

aegies said:

Looks like my prediction for this titles quality will be correct. ;)

aegies

SneakyStephan said:
Going to keep pretending the pc doesn't exist eh.

I assumed that we'd pick it up on Steam, honestly. However, it didn't appear on our Steam press accounts, so we'd be buying that too.

Note: reviewing editor also bought PC copies.

Cypher

Des0lar said:
Hm, GameStop here is offering 50% off on this game for all "Gamers Card Members", which is free.
So this game is bomba?

Really?

So if I walk into GS and show them my PUR card, I can get the game for $30 bucks?

I was really interested in this one. :/

I was never expecting a full-on RPG experience and would be totally fine with Fantasy Gears co-op action. Need more impressions.

DaBuddaDa

aegies said:
If IGN hasn't received review copies, nobody has. Sent to die a horrible death with as little marketing budget as possible.

amrod

Running it on pc with max everything and it still looks um... Dated

Played the prologue so far and not to impressed...

The game trailers made it look so good, and yet in game graphics are nothing like it.

steadfast

DaBuddaDa said:
If IGN hasn't received review copies, nobody has. Sent to die a horrible death with as little marketing budget as possible.

But they've been buying ads online since last summer, it seems. Bethesda clearly has money, they're just absolutely inept at being a publisher.

Sinatar said:
It's not like being a medieval action game is necessarily a bad thing.

You're right, it's not necessarily a bad thing that Hunted is a medieval action game. However it kind of looks like Hunted is bad game when the publisher doesn't send out review copies before release, there's no demo and there seems to have been very little in the way of media coverage leading up to release. I don't know if the last point speaks to there being very few preview copies, no preview copies or a general lack of interest by the enthusiast press but the publisher went dark before release and quietly pushed this out the door. That just doesn't look good, at all.

RobertM

cleveridea said:
can anyone comment on if you can unlock more combo moves or attacks?
No, and there are only a few combos to begin with. They put too much emphasis on the magic rather than melee action from the looks of it.
I was really interested in this one. :/

I was never expecting a full-on RPG experience and would be totally fine with Fantasy Gears co-op action. Need more impressions.
Did you like Quantum Theory? You might as well like this. To put it into perspective, Damnation is the worst game I played this generation, Demon's Forge is a notch higher on the quality scale.

If you like mindless action hack and slash games, by all means go run out and buy it, but I warned you, this game is a turd. It might be a decently shaped turd with a few sprinkles, but it sure smells and looks like one.

Xosen

I'm sad about all the bad comments. I was really expecting this to be a good game, the trailers where great :(

Seventy5

RobertM said:
No, and there are only a few combos to begin with. They put too much emphasis on the magic rather than melee action from the looks of it.

Did you like Quantum Theory? You might as well like this. To put it into perspective, Damnation is the worst game I played this generation, Demon's Forge is a notch higher on the quality scale.

If you like mindless action hack and slash games, by all means go run out and buy it, but I warned you, this game is a turd. It might be a decently shaped turd with a few sprinkles, but it sure smells and looks like one.
A notch above Damnation, really? It's not a AAA game, but it's hardly in the league of Damnation or "worst game I've ever played" material. It's got about as many combos as Demon's Souls does, it's not a God of War game. You can get different magic spells to enchant your weapon, and there are preset magic weapons you can pick up as well.

How long did you play it?

totoro'd

TheApatheticOne said:
Picking it up after work. Hope its not as bad as GAF says it is. Cant pass on what "appears" to be a fun couch co-op experience.
If i'm not mistaken, this doesn't have couch co-op

totoro'd

Mutanthands said:
Apparently, only the PC version lacks couch co-op.

Too bad that that was the version I wanted.

Ah ok, dang the pc version is the one i probably would've gotten, guess i might check out the Xbox version then if it has couch co-op

totoro'd said:
Ah ok, dang the pc version is the one i probably would've gotten, guess i might check out the Xbox version then if it has couch co-op
I'll probably trade in some stuff tonight for the 360 version myself. Hope the system doesn't choke on the co-op.

RobertM

Seventy5 said:
A notch above Damnation, really? It's not a AAA game, but it's hardly in the league of Damnation or "worst game I've ever played" material. It's got about as many combos as Demon's Souls does, it's not a God of War game. You can get different magic spells to enchant your weapon, and there are preset magic weapons you can pick up as well.

How long did you play it?
Let's not compare this game to Demon's Souls, shall we? DS is leagues ahead in the actual combat system, there was actually thought put into it. It's a hack and slash game, to say that it shouldn't have a good variety of combos is idiotic. There are about 4 light attack moves and 1 heavy move but that's it. If you think that good enough when your combat system has no depth, then you obviously have low standards. And by enhance your weapon, do you mean enhancing other AI's weapon? Cause I sure as hell can't enhance my own at this point.

Is this game playable? Yup, is it worth your time? Hell no. I'm almost done with chapter 2 and quite frankly I'm not getting much enjoyment out of the game. I'd rather play Rise of Argonauts if I wanted to play a B tier hack and slash game, but that's just me.

Seventy5

RobertM said:
Let's not compare this game to Demon's Souls, shall we? DS is leagues ahead in the actual combat system, there was actually thought put into it. It's a hack and slash game, to say that it shouldn't have a good variety of combos is idiotic. There are about 4 light attack moves and 1 heavy move but that's it. If you think that good enough when your combat system has no depth, then you obviously have low standards. And by enhance your weapon, do you mean enhancing other AI's weapon? Cause I sure as hell can't enhance my own at this point.

Is this game playable? Yup, is it worth your time? Hell no. I'm almost done with chapter 2 and quite frankly I'm not getting much enjoyment out of the game. I'd rather play Rise of Argonauts if I wanted to play a B tier hack and slash game, but that's just me.
The question was about combos, and I compared it to DS because that part is comparable. I agree it's nowhere near as good as DS, but it's also nowhere near as bad as Damnation. As far as enhancing weapons goes, with the chick you can add magic to your shots. I admit I only played as the dude in the one part of the tutorial where they force you to. Maybe that's why I'm enjoying it more than you, I'm pretty much playing it as a dungeon crawling Gears of War.

yeah no way is this game damnation bad, its fun in a mindless kind of way and I love disintegrating enemies with elemental weapons.

its an ideal DD game IMO because its fun to play in short bursts.

I was entirely unimpressed by this when I played an hour and a half of it at the Bethesda event earlier this year. Played coop, and the only thing we did was run from arena-style battleground to arena-style battleground which had tons of respawning enemies and bland combat.

It was a really boring experience really.

Des0lar said:
So this game is bomba?
Nothing like this at my local gamestop which sucks because I'd probably pick it up for $30

Just random trade in bonus bullshit

I'm sure it will drop pretty fast though

Top Bottom