• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunted The Demon's Forge |OT|

Dead

well not really...yet
Definitely hoping this turns out around

I don't know if anyone else remembers it, but it reminds me of Enclave, on the original XBOX

Retrofluxed

I just preordered this on Steam. I've been looking forward to this and Dungeon Siege 3 for awhile now (I need something to hold me over until ToR finally comes out). Hopefully they both end up being good.

Mairu

Ended up with a free copy through Bethesda's retail site (PC)... If anyone wants to play co-op when it comes out look me up :D

Ken

Hm, so it looks like the preorder bonus includes a skin you unlock after beating the campaign. I was always confused by the random character they added in the promotional image.

So if you preorder off Amazon you can play as some guy with a starfish on his face or get it from Steam to play as the archer but with white skin.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Hmm i've been itchin' pretty badly for a co-op game. This might scratch the itch. Will wait for the reviews, but am optimistic.

Ken

Dead said:
Gamestop and Best Buy also have alternate Armor for the 2 mains

Oh, that's neat. Too bad I make most of my video game purchases off Amazon or Steam.

OP: There's some images of the preorder bonuses at the bottom of the page if you wanted some in the original post.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/17/hunted-the-demons-forge-crafts-exclusive-pre-order-content/

Might pick this up off Steam since it releases on Memorial Day while Amazon won't get it to me until Thursday or Friday. Hopefully this isn't as disappointing as Brink, my other blind preorder of the month.

Well I've got two copies of this coming next week. Me and the missus, as fans of Bard's Tale, are really looking forward to co-oping this. There's splitscreen of course - but we'd rather enjoy full screen and to hell with expense.

desverger

What's "RPG" about this, except the embarrassing dialogue? :p

So far all the stuff I've seen seems to point more towards a pure action title.

Well, if Amazon did release date delivery, I would have dove into the pool, head first due to the game "looking" cool, and obviously the inclusion, for me at least, of couch co-op being a huge selling point.

But since they arent, and free super saver might not even get it hear by the weekend, it means I have to drive 30 minutes to the busiest shopping area that I live by. NOW, Ill wait for reviews to see if its worth that trouble.

No seriously, the stream looks nice. Nothing stellar, but unless it falls apart due to repetitiveness or it's just funnier to watch than to play, I don't think it's the kind of thing you try to hide from people. Looks better than a lot of games we get trailers and previews about.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dyno said:
No reviews and it's out in NA tomorrow. Hmm.....

Look like they are trying to hide the game for some reason ,this and lack of demo is really stupid move from Bethesda I think, and if there is a review embargo set till after the release or something then it's even worse since no one will actually go and blindly buy this no name game.

glaurung

VisanidethDM said:
No seriously, the stream looks nice. Nothing stellar, but unless it falls apart due to repetitiveness or it's just funnier to watch than to play, I don't think it's the kind of thing you try to hide from people. Looks better than a lot of games we get trailers and previews about.
I've been thinking the same thing.

But everything that has preceded this game's release has been the same as Knights Contract. And oh my how that sucked.

glaurung said:

But everything that has preceded this game's release has been the same as Knights Contract. And oh my how that sucked.

You know what gets me? It gives me an oldschool Diablo 2-vibe, atmosphere-wise.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
glaurung said:

yeah :(

After the amazing Folklore, all of GameRepublic games sucked.

Ok, then:

- graphics are pretty great, character design aside (she's way too much, and he just looks odd), for a console title.

- atmosphere is fantastic, and the draw distance is huge. The Diablo-2-in-3D effect is great.

- gameplay looks... fun. A lot of fun actually, for a loot-hunting game.

- bossfights look good. The co-op aspect in the game is decently thought out.

So, what's wrong with this game? Lasts 5 hours? There's ONE shield design in the entire game?

Ken

VisanidethDM said:
So, what's wrong with this game?

Only being able to equip one piece of armor gets rid of a lot of fun in loot-games for me. I have a lot of fun customizing characters in MMORPGs, especially appearance wise, and being only to change a single shoulder or what not in this game is disappointing, especially when the character models and armor do look good.

Also, after watching the stream for about 15 minutes, the game does seem like it could suffer from the repetitiveness of fighting a mob, advancing a little, and fighting another mob followed by a cut scene and then the cycle begins again. If the game had some kind of leveling and skillpoint system, it might be fun investing some time into it to get a good character but I believe it doesn't have any such system in place.

During the stream the AI buffed (or what I believed to be one) the player character but it was after all enemies were killed so I won't set my expectations for a smart AI partner too high.

Other than that, I might grab it off Steam tonight just because it's currently cheaper than Amazon and I'll get it much earlier than Amazon.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ken said:
Only being able to equip one piece of armor gets rid of a lot of fun in loot-games for me. I have a lot of fun customizing characters in MMORPGs, especially appearance wise, and being only to change a single shoulder or what not in this game is disappointing, especially when the character models and armor do look good.

Also, after watching the stream for about 15 minutes, the game does seem like it could suffer from the repetitiveness of fighting a mob, advancing a little, and fighting another mob followed by a cut scene and then the cycle begins again. If the game had some kind of leveling and skillpoint system, it might be fun investing some time into it to get a good character but I believe it doesn't have any such system in place.

But from all the video I saw this is not clearly not an WRPG or dungeon crawler/Loot games, it's more of an fast paced action game, more like Gears of War but with Swords and magic world.

Ken said:

During the stream the AI buffed (or what I believed to be one) the player character but it was after all enemies were killed so I won't set my expectations for a smart AI partner too high.

Other than that, I might grab it off Steam tonight just because it's currently cheaper than Amazon and I'll get it much earlier than Amazon.

You're making sense but this is the kind of criticism that makes a game score a 7 and being labeled "not for everyone". Not the kind of "hide-under-the-carpet" disaster this game is supposed to be.

Totobeni said:
But from all the video I saw this is not clearly not an WRPG or dungeon crawler/Loot games, it's more of an fast paced action game, more like Gears of War but with Swords and magic world.

It does look like a lightweight loot game. The Fantasy Gears of War comparison is very fitting.

The sound effects are stellar btw. Such a weird game.

Ken

Totobeni said:
But from all the video I saw this is not clearly not an WRPG or dungeon crawl, it's more of Action game, more like Gears of War but with Swords and magic world.

I'm just saying that that type of fantasy setting would have been interesting for an action game with RPG elements with a lot of loot. At the very least it would keep me coming back to the single player to level up and upgrade my character.

Aaron

Dyno said:
No reviews and it's out in NA tomorrow. Hmm.....
Most game reviews are embargoed until release. Plus the gear up to E3 is eating up time. Now if they didn't send out any pre-release copies there might be cause for concern.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I've been watching the stream for a good 20 minutes now and the story is ridiculous. I also dislike the voice acting. The gameplay looks good though; it'll end up being a 20 dollar buy this fall.

Lots of negative impressions for this game coming out of PAX East. I agree that it's probably not a day 1, $60 buy (at least for me). I expect reviews to be mediocre.

I'm checking out some of the gameplay videos over youtube and this looks much better than I thought. Everything seems to be smooth.

ToyBroker

Banned
Just watched a few minutes of the stream and I think it looks damn solid.

The animation for shooting bows was kinda lame (the arrow just appears on the bow) but it looks good.

Definitely not a $60 dollar day 1 buy though.

Autofokus said:
Eh.

Dunno, maybe as a budget title.

I don't know, I've been checking the stream from time to time, but it honestly looks like a fantasy Gears of War that isn't worse of Gears of War. We're not talking about the best game ever, but if this is bad then Gears is too.

VisanidethDM said:
I don't know, I've been checking the stream from time to time, but it honestly looks like a fantasy Gears of War that isn't worse of Gears of War. We're not talking about the best game ever, but if this is bad then Gears is too.

Okay.

????

What are you talking about?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Okay.

????

What are you talking about?

It's calling stealth-trolling Gears.

But really, this doesn't look sensibly worse. Gears is a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaally simple and repetitive game too.

ram

VisanidethDM said:
I don't know, I've been checking the stream from time to time, but it honestly looks like a fantasy Gears of War

ugh - yeah, and i thought that it would be a hack & slay. interest vanished completly. :X

ram said:
ugh - yeah, and i thought that it would be a hack & slay. interest vanished completly. :X

Well the guy is using the seminaked chick who's supposed to be the ranged character, and he's using his bow in melee range too, so maybe you can play it a bit more like a melee game. The small bits of melee he did looked fairly terrible tho, can't say if it was him fucking up tho (looks like the game that promotes parrying and defense, and he was just hammering the mobs).

Top Bottom