• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter Call of the Wild 2021.... Opinions?

I'm looking for a chill game over the Christmas period, one I can unwind too and one that isn't an absolutely massive time sink.

I came across Hunter Call of the Wild 2021 edition so have a few questions to anyone who is into the series or has played it:

1. How complicated is the game? I'm guessing it can get fairly complicated later on but is it a relaxing experince even if you suck at actually landing an animal / trophy?
  2. How does this run on PS5 - was there a boost on PS4 Pro (ideally 60fps mode?)
  3. It's currently £24.99 - Is this worthy?
  4. Are there better Hunting games around for PS5 or that work on PS5?
Anyway, thanks in advance, here's a trailer in case anyone else is wondering:

Last edited:

Greirat

It's good if you like walking around comfy forests and it looks beautiful (on PC at least, haven't tried it on consoles). I didn't find it complicated as everything is well explained.

GHG

Runs well and looks nice on PC but can't say what it would be like on the PS4/5.

I can't imagine wanting to play something like this on a controller though.

Inviusx

Its pretty jank on PS4 Pro, the environment has Ark Survival Evolved vibes due to the resolution being sub 1080. I bet it looks killer on PC though.

CeeJay

You can definitely spend a lot of time just walking around stalking animals and discovering new locations which is pretty chill. Minecraft can be really relaxing to just explore the world and spend your time living off the land and not putting down any roots anywhere and is really easy to pick up and play. Mud Runner / Snow Runner can also be pretty chill and slow paced with moments of higher intensity very similar to the gameplay pace of Hunter in a many ways. Elite Dangerous can be pretty chill as well if you set out to do some exploring or mining in uncharted systems although it's not really a pick up and play type of game for your first outing.

If you have a PC then Sea Of Thieves can offer some really spectacular chill moments just hanging around the ship fishing and watching the sunsets. Flight Sim 2020 (in a simple Piper Cub or Cessna) can be really chill as well, once you are airborne there's not much to do apart from admire the amazing scenery flying around areas you know in real life. There is a bit of a learning curve with it though and you need to learn a little bit before you can get to the chill point.

GenericUser

I'm looking for a chill game over the Christmas period, one I can unwind too and one that isn't an absolutely massive time sink.

I came across Hunter Call of the Wild 2021 edition so have a few questions to anyone who is into the series or has played it:

1. How complicated is the game? I'm guessing it can get fairly complicated later on but is it a relaxing experince even if you suck at actually landing an animal / trophy?
  2. How does this run on PS5 - was there a boost on PS4 Pro (ideally 60fps mode?)
  3. It's currently £24.99 - Is this worthy?
  4. Are there better Hunting games around for PS5 or that work on PS5?
Anyway, thanks in advance, here's a trailer in case anyone else is wondering:

I have the game and I'll try to answer your questions:

1.) I wouldn't say it's complicated. You have to think about some basics things (like taking the wind into consideration, hiding from your prey etc.) but nothing too complicated. It is a pretty chill game.

2.) I run it on the PS4 Pro and it is a very beautiful game.

3.) Yes, I would say so.

4.) As far as I know, it is by far the best hunting game.

Just be aware that this game demands A LOT of patience. I had sessions where I wandered around for hours, not being able to hunt down a single animal. But that's part of the fun for me. Just walking around the beautiful sceneries, listening to the sounds of nature, seeing the sun go down etc. You will organically learn how to become a better hunter in the game, but it takes time. It's one of my favourite games if I feel like just minding my own business, not working to finish any quests, no slaying of an ancient evil, not trying to get the fastest lap. Just me, mother nature and nothing else.

Top Bottom