• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter gets crushed to death after elephant he shot falls on him

tEdQwp6.gif

Oh what a shame...

Booser

I realise that trophy hunting is basically a necessary evil in many parts of Africa. I think it's bollocks to pose on top of a dead animal you shot so my sympathy doesn't lie with the guy but with the elephant and the dudes family.

Also strange how his friend (who was also a hound hunter I believe) was eaten by crocodiles only a few weeks ago.

markwalhberginthehappeningisconfused.gif

Something like that yes, though I wouldn't call it "poetic justice" in her case.

I'd probably feel differently if I knew her personally, but in the abstract I don't feel much sympathy for someone who chose to be with a person who constantly risks their life to engage in (IMO) morally reprehensible behavior.

Wow, I don't want to hear your opinions on people married to people who voluntarily get shipped out to kill people.

2MF

Wow, I don't want to hear your opinions on people married to people who voluntarily get shipped out to kill people.

If you're talking about the military, I wouldn't really put them in the same category as trophy hunters at all. The military is actually a necessary thing.

I know there are people here saying trophy hunting is also needed, though I haven't really understood that yet since there are other culling methods which are more humane.

I'm not a fan of these hunting trips bit they really can be attributed to be net positives for pretty much anyone involved but the animal.
I think the people paying for it are trash of the highest order but if they are gonna funnel money into the local economy then go ahead.

If you're talking about the military, I wouldn't really put them in the same category as trophy hunters at all. The military is actually a necessary thing.

I know there are people here saying trophy hunting is also needed, though I haven't really understood that yet since there are other culling methods which are more humane.

Military is necessary. Some military action, however is not necessary or wholly moral.

finowns

It's not that it's discriminatory, it's that it's endemic of a certain culture. Trophy hunting is like white privilege incarnate; it's got shitloads of money, immediate satisfaction, and echos of colonialism all rolled into one big ball of meh. Like, when I imagine a trophy hunter, I imagine a Romney family member.

I was going to show some pictures but this is the first image I got... ffff you win this one.

FCCTrophyHunting-1.jpg

Again it depends a lot on whether this was a "poor guy deals drugs to feed his starving family" type thing or a "guy chooses to make loads of money in a vile profession rather than live modestly doing something harmless" type thing.

The Pope

Trophy hunting as a means of conservation is principally wrong. Its like killing humans to stop global warming - you dare accuse me of false equivalency. As a South African I go on Safari once a year and shoot these animals with my camera not my metal penis.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
There's something gross about sport hunting, but he didn't deserve to die. I'd be a giant hypocrite if I said that while eating my steak.

I'll make an exception for people that hunt big game with melee weapons. That sounds badass.

I accept that trophy-hunting and -farming are beneficial to animals. I also can think that wealthy hunters could also just give money towards their conservation without having to kill them, and the park wardens could be in charge of culling without encouraging big game hunting. I can also think that if you want to engage in such activity, you accept the associated risk and I'm not going to shed tears for you.

When the animals are farmed, there is incentive among the local population to breed the animals and conserve their habitat. It ties local profit directly to the well being of the animal population at large so that the livelihood of the local community is aligned with the well being of the overall animal population. This also works with wild safari tourism as well.

...or they could destroy more native habitats and convert it to farmland, decimating the wild animal population even more. Which would you rather have?

If those are the only available options, i'd rather there be no humans there at all.

I am perfectly fine with this. One species is being hunted into extinction because of fucking assholes like this guy and his rich clients. I hope more get crushed to death or maul to death or whatever other tragedy can befall these hunters.

I am perfectly fine with this. One species is being hunted into extinction because of fucking assholes like this guy and his rich clients. I hope more get crushed to death or maul to death or whatever other tragedy can befall these hunters.

It's not because of rich people like him. Blame poachers.

rjinaz

I think human life is more valuable than animal life. I say this as somebody who's best friend is a dog. But, that's not really relevant here. I do feel bad for the hunter. I wish people wouldn't hunt. I see the act as almost evil, especially game like elephant. If he wasn't a hunter he'd likely be alive right now.

RIP both man and elephant.

Condolences for his family, but for me, I don't hold much sadness over his death. It's the cost you pay for engaging in this type of activity, and it's certainly not like he doesn't cause harm. Like, I'm not HAPPY that he's dead, but I'm not sad either.

Some of the posts in this thread make it sound like the only reason killing an elephant is bad is because it's an endangered species... :/

Some of the posts in this thread make it sound like the only reason killing an elephant is bad is because it's an endangered species... :/

I think the "endangered" phrase is more of a statement of fact or even emphasis. They ARE endangered. Wouldnt be justifiable either way but its even more atrocious because they are endangered.

hirokazu

Some truly awful and ignorant posts in this thread. He paid to shoot this elephant in a game reserve, he wasn't some illegal poacher. He apparentely was a father of five, but sure, jump on the chance to ridicule the deceased man.
Says the guy who didn't even read the OP 😂

Also, the man died. I think that's comeuppance enough. Do you really need to lie about the circumstances of his death to further humiliate him? He didn't shoot the elephant that fell on him. He was blindsided by a fourth elephant and picked up with its trunk. Another hunter shot the elephant that picked him up and it fell over and crushed him.

Of course people in this thread are gonna make me feel like a bad guy for defending him, but I'm just defending accuracy and truth. The title is false and misleading.

Oh please. If you wanna judge the hunter for his occupation, go ahead. But don't judge the widow for pursuing a relationship with a man she loved enough to have 5 kids with.

You mean a widow willing to pursue a relationship with a man that goes around killing animals cos of...reasons?

Yeah me and my miniscule violin can play at the funeral service.

66ad02e840d06c5767c647900ba4f157

IF YOU need further proof that elephants are highly-intelligent animals, this is it.
Ben, an injured bull elephant - thought to be 30-years-old - gave staffers at the Bumi Hills Safari Lodge in Kariba, Zimbabwe the surprise of their lives when he appeared to ask for help.
From the start it was clear to manager Nick Milne that something wasn’t right, as the animal had a significant limp and appeared to be wounded.
Unfortunately though, the in-house vet had left for the weekend so they were unable to tell the full extent of his injuries.
The lodge got the word out, and another vet kindly volunteered to fly 320km from the capital to help the elephant.
While medical assistance jetted out to him, Ben calmly passed the six-hour wait; he stayed no more than a few metres from the house, drunk his fill and grazed.

Full Story

Elephants are amazing. It kills me to read stories like that of the OP!

xkramz

I mean... It sucks thst some ppl in here are ok with this...the man had many kids and now those kids don't have a father. So it's sad for the family . With thst said, what he did was totally wrong. Did he deserve it ? Yes. Did their family deserve It? No

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Must this "conservation" be done via hunting instead of less brutal methods?

Safari expeditions work too, but conditions vary from place to place, and in some places, safaris makes more sense, and in other places, hunting makes more sense.

What obviously doesn't work is relying on the good natured generosity of middle and upper class first world citizens, because we don't donate enough money towards conservation efforts. We do like to eat cheap meat and other food though. Money talks.

bengraven

Reprehensible reactions here. I can understand notnapproving of trophy hunting, but celebrating a man's death, a father of five no less, because he chose a legal hobby is pretty disgusting.

No sympathy for the hunter's death at all. He is scum for exploiting animals whether it's for capitalistic gains or for pure enjoyment. He can go fuck off.

Wow, it's such a crime.

Yeah it's not a crime, but if your life evolves around tracking and hunting animals that aren't on any kind of level an even match to you in reality. To me that spells fucking coward.

So really the thread should be "Fucking Coward Dies Hunting Elephant, No Fucks Given By All" - which is real accurate.

akira28

he's also a wealthy mining executive who runs a hound driving safari company, where he uses dogs to scare animals out of the bush so wealthy people can shoot them.

he "pioneered" the european technique in South Africa

sounds like the elephants had a bounty on him. Shame though.

Top Bottom