• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter X Hunter Manga to go on a break!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

:|

hope this break is shorter

and hope he's doing okay

orD0N5F.jpg

Hopefully we will see a "Hunter X Hunter is back" thread during HIllary's second term or the third Hunter X Hunter anime series, which ever comes first.

Galang

Banned
I literally said in the last thread when it was announced I wouldn't get excited because it was would last a week. Surprised it even lasted this long

He needs to focus on his long term health and not work himself to death. If that means we'll never see HxH end then I'll be ok with that.

upandaway

[Fugo];208760547 said:
Damn. Is it known what syndrome does he suffer from?
Apparently (?) it's because of Shueisha pressuring him to work super hard during Yu Yu Hakusho, really don't know the credibility of that rumor though

Marow

I think the series for the most part looks fine but I can never forget how the manga looked when I started the Chimera Ant arc. There were a lot of bad looking pages in there. He must have not been feeling well for some parts there.
Everything was fixed in the released volumes.

7Dyr20T.jpg

There is oddly only one single chapter that's unfixed, but that might be due to a stylistic choice as it's very different compared to the others. Heck, he even fixed artwork in the most recent volume that had great art already!

Lulubop

I think the series for the most part looks fine but I can never forget how the manga looked when I started the Chimera Ant arc. There were a lot of bad looking pages in there. He must have not been feeling well for some parts there.

Well yea, but that was ages ago and likely when Togashi was at his worst

vypek

Everything was fixed in the released volumes.

There is oddly only one single chapter that's unfixed, but that might be due to a stylistic choice as it's very different compared to the others. Heck, he even fixed artwork in the most recent volume that had great art already!

Who. Thats a big improvement. Was it a side chapter that was not fixed? I can't remember one where the old style would have been left on purpose.

Well yea, but that was ages ago and likely when Togashi was at his worst

I caught up on the series earlier this year and heard he was sick a lot so I figured he must have been really ill but pushed to work. Other than that I agree with you that the series looks good. Its only certain parts where the quality isn't as good as the rest. The recent stuff looks fine to me.

Marow

Who. Thats a big improvement. Was it a side chapter that was not fixed? I can't remember one where the old style would have been left on purpose.
Chapter 337, in volume 32. In fact, I think that's the only "unfixed" volume if I remember right. The art was generally fine besides that very chapter, though, which leads me to believe there was a reason.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Fuck, I watched the old anime. Read the manga, and by the time I caught up about 5 years ago, he went on one of his hiatuses. When he came back a few years ago, I didn't keep up.

This time, in anticipation, I refreshed myself with the 2011 anime and I'm just about to finish watching that with the GF. I was gonna jump directly into the manga but now, as expected, Togashi says "fuck you"

Fuck, I watched the old anime. Read the manga, and by the time I caught up about 5 years ago, he went on one of his hiatuses. When he came back a few years ago, I didn't keep up.

This time, in anticipation, I refreshed myself with the 2011 anime and I'm just about to finish watching that with the GF. I was gonna jump directly into the manga but now, as expected, Togashi says "fuck you"

Thursdays are going to be depressing with HxH on hiatus and Bleach ending soon. I may have to get into One Piece or Toriko or anything good and released consistenlty

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Thursdays are going to be depressing with HxH on hiatus and Bleach ending soon. I may have to get into One Piece or Toriko or anything good and released consistenlty

That's in the end game too, it will likely end this year.

vypek

Chapter 337, in volume 32. In fact, I think that's the only "unfixed" volume if I remember right. The art was generally fine besides that very chapter, though, which leads me to believe there was a reason.

Ah okay. I want go check out that chapter again. I think you're right. It seems like there must be a reason for that

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
(This is conjecture)

I believe Togashi has had a problem in the past with exegeratting problems or illnesses, that when it comes to having an actual illness, which I believe he has now, it becomes a problem with people believing him.

Shonen Jump used to be even more notoriously hard on their mangaka, Togashi's "laziness" or sheer stuborness caused an actual company change in how they treated their mangaka (something no author had done that drastically, until that point not even Akira Toriyama). I think the period before these changes were instituted were very stressful and and a combination of the level of stress and not being able to possibly cope with the stress got to him. Stress takes a major hit on the body.

A guess on the fact that he wasn't exactly sick before but is sick now is shown by his wife's apparent involvement in the manga. Back during The Chimera Ant arc, Togashi publicly stated that he asked his wife, Takeuchi of Sailor Moon fame, if she could draw Hunter x Hunter for him and her response was basically "No (lol)". Her involvement in the manga at present since the Election arc has been evident, which makes me think that he did get worse and she felt that she needed to help.

At the end of the day I think there's truth to both Togashi being lazy (the infamous trash room photo is enough of a presentation to give on that), stress taking a toll on him, and Togashi getting legitimately sick.

I'm glad he still writes the manga, because he probably doesn't need to at this point. Takeuchi is the breadwinner in the family and even though Togashi's volumes sell millions at release, his share of the families accrued wealth is drastically dwarfed by his wife. This all depends though on if Takeuchi is okay with him not pulling his weight lol. I still laid there confused when he expanded the HxH world exponentially when he could have easily ended the series at that point. Don't make the situation harder on yourself Togashi!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
(This is conjecture)

I believe Togashi has had a problem in the past with exegeratting problems or illnesses, that when it comes to having an actual illness, which I believe he has now, it becomes a problem with people believing him.

Shonen Jump used to be even more notoriously hard on their mangaka, Togashi's "laziness" or sheer stuborness caused an actual company change in how they treated their mangaka (something no author had done that drastically, until that point not even Akira Toriyama). I think the period before these changes were instituted were very stressful and and a combination of the level of stress and not being able to possibly cope with the stress got to him. Stress takes a major hit on the body.

A guess on the fact that he wasn't exactly sick before but is sick now is shown by his wife's apparent involvement in the manga. Back during The Chimera Ant arc, Togashi publicly stated that he asked his wife, Takeuchi of Sailor Moon fame, if she could draw Hunter x Hunter for him and her response was basically "No (lol)". Her involvement in the manga at present since the Election arc has been evident, which makes me think that he did get worse and she felt that she needed to help.

At the end of the day I think there's truth to both Togashi being lazy (the infamous trash room photo is enough of a presentation to give on that), stress taking a toll on him, and Togashi getting legitimately sick.

I'm glad he still writes the manga, because he probably doesn't need to at this point. Takeuchi is the breadwinner in the family and even though Togashi's volumes sell millions at release, his share of the families accrued wealth is drastically dwarfed by his wife. This all depends though on if Takeuchi is okay with him not pulling his weight lol. I still laid there confused when he expanded the HxH world exponentially when he could have easily ended the series at that point. Don't make the situation harder on yourself Togashi!

There is probably a club in Japan for Mangaka notorious for doing long running series that take a lot of breaks. I can see Miura and Togashi talking about a Dragon Quest/Idol Master cross over game while Inoue just rolls his eyes.

Back in March we had a thread on HxH continuing. My post at the time:

Is he going to keep scribbling the manga on the back of cocktail napkins?

"Not even," seems to be the answer.

Semi-correct takes from that thread (he's actually at 11 chapters so far):

Can't wait to get that 5 chapters before he leaves for another year!

beSFiXF.png
beSFiXF.png
beSFiXF.png

These <4 chapters are gonna be amazing!

Blessed

My over/under on this is 5.5 chapters. I'm taking the under.

Life is suffering for an HxH fan.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There is probably a club in Japan for Mangaka notorious for doing long running series that take a lot of breaks. I can see Miura and Togashi talking about a Dragon Quest/Idol Master cross over game while Inoue just rolls his eyes.

lol, well those in the industry definitely get together. Togashi and Takeuchi's wedding would have been a who's who of mangaka (and the YYH and HxH Va's were there too!).

My favorite part of the whole thing is that Hagiwara (Bastard!!) was the one who hosted the party that introduced Togashi and Takeuchi to each other.

qcf x2

This is why I didn't start reading. "It's back!," they said. "He's been pretty consistent so far, I think he's back for real!," they exclaimed. Meanwhile, I stood my ground. Not gonna fall for that shit, not from him or Miura.

HStallion

lol, well those in the industry definitely get together. Togashi and Takeuchi's wedding would have been a who's who of mangaka (and the YYH and HxH Va's were there too!).

My favorite part of the whole thing is that Hagiwara (Bastard!!) was the one who hosted the party that introduced Togashi and Takeuchi to each other.

I often wonder if Miura even leaves his house at times, guy seems like such a recluse compared to the other big authors, there are barely any pictures on him and most are years old.

Caja 117

One of my Favorite Mangas, is sad to hear Mr Togashis condition, and one can hope for him to get better, Im not sure what disease he has, but it seems whatever it is there is no real cure for it.

I must admit I havent read HxH in a while given the constant hiatus, I might have had my last chapter around the time the Fight with the King was about to start, I think for my sake I will just wait to see if someday the series is finished so I can read it.

Rutger

Banned
I can't say I'm surprised. I've been through the constant hiatuses often enough that it doesn't bother me anymore.

All I can say is I hope Togashi feels better soon.

Dude has health problems, I get it, but you really have to wonder why nobody on his team seems to do anything during these massive breaks.

I do feel like the manga's quality is due in part to the amount of time Togashi gets to think about the plotline before making new chapters though. If he was figuring this out week by week, I don't know if it would be as complex and well executed.

Dude has health problems, I get it, but you really have to wonder why nobody on his team seems to do anything during these massive breaks.

I do feel like the manga's quality is due in part to the amount of time Togashi gets to think about the plotline before making new chapters though. If he was figuring this out week by week, I don't know if it would be as complex and well executed.
Just because chapters are released on consecutive weeks doesn't imply they were drawn during consecutive weeks.

These are 'massive breaks' probably aren't actually breaks, he's probably making slow progress whenever he can.

oh ffs, how long is the wait this time? I would have gone crazy if this kept happening with One Piece.

Would it at least be better if he switched to a monthly release such as Attack on Titan? still progress the story while avoiding another hiatus?

daveo42

Banned
Just as shit started hitting the fan, we get another hiatus. I blame everyone who made that joke in the manga thread.

HStallion

oh ffs, how long is the wait this time? I would have gone crazy if this kept happening with One Piece.

Would it at least be better if he switched to a monthly release such as Attack on Titan? still progress the story while avoiding another hiatus?

We have no clue, his longest breaks were over a year.

Kreed

Just because chapters are released on consecutive weeks doesn't imply they were drawn during consecutive weeks.

These are 'massive breaks' probably aren't actually breaks, he's probably making slow progress whenever he can.

At least when it comes to Jump, manga artists submit new chapters on a regular basis to the Jump editors and are usually a couple of chapters ahead of the current release (example, Togashi may have submitted the latest chapter three or four weeks ago). It's possible he could have been doing 3-4 chapters at a time for example and submitting them all at different regular periods, but regardless he would have been working at an agreed schedule since the "Hunter X Hunter is returning" announcement, and the "break" announcements are when he can't meet the schedule anymore.

elyetis

I didn't even read the chapters released since last hiatus, I'll likely wait till he finish the current ark, so.. 5 to 15 years I guess.

dan2026

I wish he would just do scripts and get someone else to draw.

Yes it wouldn't be quite the same, but it would be easier on him and allow the series to possibly finish.

Permanently A

One of my Favorite Mangas, is sad to hear Mr Togashis condition, and one can hope for him to get better, Im not sure what disease he has, but it seems whatever it is there is no real cure for it.

I must admit I havent read HxH in a while given the constant hiatus, I might have had my last chapter around the time the Fight with the King was about to start, I think for my sake I will just wait to see if someday the series is finished so I can read it.

Oh wow, you should at least read/watch up to the end of the Ant arc so you get to a more satisfying stop point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom