• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyouka: You Can't Escape |OT| Soft-Boiled Gumshoes with a touch of K-on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Episode 1

The opening scene reminded me of Tatami Galaxy a lot. Not entirely a bad thing, since both shows seem to be about a main character who is rather cynical about the "spring of youth" perception. The art and direction is very reminiscent of other KyoAni works, which is probably a good sign that the studio has developed a strong visual brand for themselves.

I also saw the connection with Tatami Galaxy, but I think the difference is that Watashi entered college full of hope and lost his idealism through experience, while Houtarou is cynical about them by nature.

The other scene was the weird "curiosity" scene where the camera zooms into Eru's eyes and everything goes crazy. I've seen this scene twice before in recent seasons - both in mystery anime as well. One was Gosick, and the other is Un-Go. I don't know why there is such a visual trend for mystery anime to have a female lead who does crazy things with their eyes with presented with a mystery, but I don't like it and it looks silly. It's worse now because it also reminds me of the last two shows which had pretty bad mysteries. Hopefully this bucks the trend.

Seems like the problem here is watching bad BONES shows.

Search: "Boring"

First to call it? Yeah I watched half of the episode and am finding nothing to like aside from the visuals. Nothing interesting is happening and I hate narrators like the one we're being asked to tolerate here. Sarcastic main characters who act like they're above participating in the group have become a terrible cliche thanks to Haruhi, Kyon was the only good one.

wonzo

Banned
oooooh the animation style looks cute! I'll definitely be checking it out!
demeyes.gif

Do it for the eyes!

Dresden

Lest this thread languish in page whateverthefuckitwasin . . .

Thought it was rather dull. Not saying that there needed to be heads blowing up in a spray of gore and brain-bits, but surely it would have helped.

I hope I can come to care about the cast in the episodes to come. Doubt it though. Will keep watching, for some reason.

zeroshiki

Hyouka - 02

We're still at the character introduction stage and this episode introduces the 4th and last member of the Kotenbu and surprise, she's not your typical childhood friend. As always the visuals look gorgeous and the direction is top notch. I like how they show just how much Eru has Houtarou wrapped around her finger.

The concerns of some people over the show, namely how much of a douche Houtarou was and how lame the mysteries are, probably won't have their fears allayed but the show is showing some semblance of a plot with some kind of mystery that Eru probably wants Houtarou so solve. All in all though, this is still really good and my favorite show of the season
(next to AKB0048)

Hyouka 2
tumblr_m39l33njc61qcff4ao1_500.gif

I thought this last episode and I think this episode reaffirmed my thoughts, Chitanda is pretty annoying. I can't see anything in her at all, apart from the eye affect. Oreki is handling her pretty well though and manages to keep scenes with just him and her to be interesting. I think Satoshi does a better job of sparking life in the group and keeping Oreki moving forward. It's pretty funny how he manages to get Oreki to do all these things. Still baffled and enjoy how
these fake mysteries seem to always end up being actual ones, I thought they were just Satoshi's tricks to get Oreki to expend time and energy but actual solving them is cool.

Style and animation effects during the scenes was nice and OP looks great.

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 2

ixYZS.jpg

A superior specimen has arrived!

Visuals still solid. I liked the old scroll/paper filter used for the
"camera" recording those who borrow the big book.
The visuals used for brainstorming are also a decent treat for the eyes.

However, the content of the "plot" and characterization still keeps me with a straight face.

Anyways, Eru still gets soggy over stupid potential mysteries. Our main man is still always looking as bored as I am when watching. Hoping the new girl, Ibara, will add some needed flavor to the cast. Unfortunately, she didn't really, but she's a counterbalance to doe-eyed Eru, so that's a start.

I'll keep watching, though a show of character or mystery that can get me actually invested in the show would be nice.

f0EeH.jpg

Pretty much.

Soma

Hyouka Episode 02

DU9Cs.jpg

That's totally not creepy at all.

Alright I think I'm warming up to the everyday mysteries dynamic. I think the main reason for that is the attention to detail in how they convey these concepts. The show takes a mundane mystery with a simple resolution and manage to make it interesting. The character interactions are really great to watch (Satoshi being a total bro with Houtarou, Eru getting excited when the prospect of a new mystery is brought up to name a few) and the show is just damn good to look at in general. I'm not gonna lie though, the first 8-9 minutes of this episode were pretty dull.

I think this was one of my favorite scenes in this episode:

I like how it captured that feeling of separateness in Houtarou's point of view. I actually like how the show conveys what goes on in his head and how dramatic it is in context to everything else happening in real life. I really do enjoy his character as well. His stubbornness of not wanting to exert more than what he wants to and him trying to play it cool when a lot of the time he realizes it's futile with Eru around. I find the relationship between them interesting.

So I dunno, I guess you could say I'm enjoying this show so far. I'm not sure how well this concept would do if any other studio had worked on it.

Hyouka 02
NDPC1.gif

Who? Eru is pretty much the main character now.

That was a fun episode. I liked the mystery of the week and I guess the bigger mystery of the show or whatever. The music was good, added to the atmosphere. I'm amused by the cute and wonky graphics they are using to explain stuff. New girl is fun to snipe at whatshisface MC and I'm liking the whole cast as it is.

Branduil

Episode 2

The distinctive marks of Disappearance are certainly all over the visual devices used in this show.

KyoAni managed to pander to both furries and maid fetishists in this episode, let alone all the pandering in the ED. I'm getting hints of axe crazy from Eru, though.

Anyway, I think people who are in this for the mystery aspect will be disappointed, because this is clearly a character-driven show that uses mysteries as vehicles for character interaction and development. It's not going to get many votes for best anime of the season, but it's pleasant to watch because the cast has a nice chemistry and the visuals are extremely lively and atmospheric. I foresee Hyouka being very much a love-it-or-leave-it anime, much like K-on, because it relies so heavily on visuals, atmosphere, and characters as opposed to any actual plot. I don't believe it will reach the popularity of that series or Haruhi, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyway, I think people who are in this for the mystery aspect will be disappointed, because this is clearly a character-driven show that uses mysteries as vehicles for character interaction and development. It's not going to get many votes for best anime of the season, but it's pleasant to watch because the cast has a nice chemistry and the visuals are extremely lively and atmospheric. I foresee Hyouka being very much a love-it-or-leave-it anime, much like K-on, because it relies so heavily on visuals, atmosphere, and characters as opposed to any actual plot. I don't believe it will reach the popularity of that series or Haruhi, though.

That is REALLY unfortunate. I just found this thread, and the mystery was what interested me. I was hoping for something Sherlock Holmes-ish.

remz

That is REALLY unfortunate. I just found this thread, and the mystery was what interested me. I was hoping for something Sherlock Holmes-ish.

Yeah, likewise here. I had a mystery itch that needed scratching.

Will still probably check it out. Looks good.

Am I wrong in thinking that this show might head into darker territory? It just feels like that kind of show -- there are certain visual cues which make scenes tenser than they should be, and even the soundtrack is heavier and more ominous than the happenings on-screen suggest. I'm personally hoping so. I want this show to be more of a Steins;Gate than a Dantalian, the latter being a show that hinted at going deeper but instead just frolicked along listlessly (and ultimately boringly) on the surface.

Although, I could be completely wrong and this will just be exactly what it says on the box.

Dresden

This show is so boring.

Even if something darker is being hinted at, there's no point in keeping things locked up if the episodes leading up to the 'reveal' are so dull. You can't surprise viewers with a twist if there are no viewers left by the time the twist happens. And as something more character-focused it's hard to stay interested in these characters.

Just feels like a waste of time. I really do want to love the show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hopefully ep 3 of Hyouka will be like ep 3 of Madoka.

duckroll

Episode 3

This is a really boring show, and I think it knows it. There is a constant attempt to spice up the on-screen content with wacky or random bits of over-animation just to keep things somewhat "interesting". Most of the time it doesn't work. It's still not interesting, the characters drone on about things which are of no consequence or interest. The only "hook" remains the cute but strange girl with freakish glass purple eyes. Will probably drop this if nothing worthwhile happens next week.

Branduil

Episode 3

irkuLnyGfFIt6.jpg

KyoAni continues to be exceptionally creative with the use of visual devices in this show.

I feel like this was the strongest episode yet. The visual direction, editing, and sound design were all incredibly on-point and complemented each other perfectly. It's actually extremely impressive how much atmosphere KyoAni is able to wring out of fairly mundane subject matter. I do think the story itself was significantly stronger in this episode, as we finally reach more of a big-picture mystery that relates to one of the characters.

I don't think this episode will change the minds of those who find the show boring, but it could if you were on the borderline. This really was one of the best-directed episodes of anime I've seen in a while. And have I mentioned that Kouhei Tanaka's music in this is phenomenal?

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 3

Coffee shop. Yaddayadda. Another stupid sounding mystery. Yaddayadda. Nicely illustrated environments. Yaddayadda.

The main character is still on about, "Have I told you that I'm a boring guy? Just making sure you pick up that detail...a little one ya know. I'm a boring guy, don't run around like the rest. Yeah....have I mentioned--?"

I get the point. Shut up about it.

The scene shifts that symbolize his boredom and stale nature compared to Eru's more energetic curious one are well-illustrated. I can't enjoy them too much because I'm not involved in the characterization of these characters to begin with (I've seen no reason to be), but they do make for a decent deliberate change of pace/setting.

After the intro of this over-arching mystery, an episode-centered mystery is introduced in regards to the
prior anthologies for their club.
. A boy named Tougaito makes his debut. He makes himself weary over some stupid crap
he could have easily done off school grounds.

I found out the answer as soon as
he brought up air freshener
, as did anyone I could imagine. As with the last two, a juvenile premise, that (to be fair) fits a juvenile environment. The gang regroups and it is revealed that clues yet exist for this looming mystery of Eru's as she is uncertain of the consequences for delving deeper into it. A fair change of pace for her character that the show desires to grow, no doubt.

The closing music was nice as well and the end creates
another stepping stone towards the uncle's mystery.

In short, better than the last two, but still just a pretty face with a dull soul.

Soma

Hyouka Episode 03

I really enjoyed this weeks episode. Definitely my favorite so far.

We're finally introduced to the larger overlying mystery regarding Eru's uncle. The whole coffee shop conversation and her detailing her past story of her uncle were very enjoyable to watch. There's a lot of subtle use of imagery in this particular part of the episode which I really appreciated. The angles, the multitudes of expressions between Houtarou and Eru over the course of the conversation, the lighting, the background details... it made it very atmospheric which is definitely something this show does very well. It felt more like a drama than a regular slice-of-life anime.

The next part of the episode was pretty entertaining. Now, the central mystery regarding the
smoking student
may have been more obvious to some than others (I figured it out halfway), but the way the show approached this mystery was very interesting to watch. The thought processes and the way Houtarou handled the situation was fun to watch. It made me appreciate him more as a main character. He's not dense and he knows exactly what he's doing. Just the whole "I'll do it if I feel like doing it" shtick may turn off a lot of people to him. Like I've mentioned before the show's attention to detail is something to behold and I really like the way they handle a lot of things especially in this episode.

While this is my favorite episode so far and while the larger plot is finally introduced I'm not sure if I can say this will change the opinions of those who found this boring before. It may be because I've settled my expectations of this show and managed to enjoy it for what it is but I think I'm staying on board with Hyouka. It might not be the most exciting anime this season but the things it does, such as creating a rich atmosphere, it does very well.

I think this show is turning out to be one of the (if not the) most polarizing shows this season. At least when it comes to AnimeGAF.

D-Pad

Hey this series has been pretty damn great so far. Hope it keeps it up.

Now, the central mystery regarding the
smoking student
may have been more obvious to some than others (I figured it out halfway)

Nice guess. I thought
he was masturbating
. In fact I was pretty damn sure of it when they showed the computer.

Dresden

^ that would've been somewhat more interesting and we can't have that in Hyouka.

hyouka - 03

Probably the best episode so far but that doesn't say much. Sets up what could be the overarching mystery of the show while Oreki and Co. tackle something smaller.

Just can't escape the feeling that, like the small "mystery" they solved in this episode, the question Chitanda poses in the beginning is going to end up as mundane and boring as everything else.

Also:
dude should've had a little farm in there.
I mean, biology prep club.

duckroll

Episode 3

This show is boring. It's about a boring guy being asked to solve boring problems by non-boring people. It's really weird. It's a really dry subject, but it's being produced with such high standards. The supporting cast is interesting, but they don't really do anything other than try to get the boring lead (who is also narrating the show in a really boring way) to help them with really boring problems. I could have substituted 'boring' for many other words throughout this post to keep the text more interesting, but that wouldn't be faithful to the tone of this show. Zzzzzzzzzz.

I knew he was smoking in the room the moment I saw the open window and the fan. I think anyone who ever smoked in a locked room in school, or knew anyone who did it, would probably know too.

Branduil

Episode 3

This show is boring. It's about a boring guy being asked to solve boring problems by non-boring people. It's really weird. It's a really dry subject, but it's being produced with such high standards. The supporting cast is interesting, but they don't really do anything other than try to get the boring lead (who is also narrating the show in a really boring way) to help them with really boring problems. I could have substituted 'boring' for many other words throughout this post to keep the text more interesting, but that wouldn't be faithful to the tone of this show. Zzzzzzzzzz.

I knew he was smoking in the room the moment I saw the open window and the fan. I think anyone who ever smoked in a locked room in school, or knew anyone who did it, would probably know too.

But did you
set up an elaborate motion detection system
?

Episode 3

How come it seems common in Anime for characters to have relatives in India, first in Another and now the sister in this, Hyouka. I do want to actually see the sister eventually. I also want to know how all these people have such strong connections and concerns about the classics club? Seems like it appears to be a common thing where the club is consistently about to fall apart and friends find friends through it, well at least in Chitanda's case since Oreki, Satoshi, and Ibara already knew each other.

I wish the episode had more of Satoshi in it, as he and Oreki are pretty cool together. Ibara is a nice addition to keep me from having to pay attention to the rather annoying Chitanda. However I was glad Chitanda had toned things down this time, last time gripping and grabbing and shoving the book in Oreki's face was too much and too annoying.

Oreki made the episode good and the suspense surrounding the science room as well and Tohgaito, whom was also a good character. He needs to come back in future episodes, hopefully, maybe they can inspire him to change. I liked how they also didnt use animation genjutsus this time.

Makoto

I'll admit, my first inclination about the "mystery" was
that the guy was having sex with a faculty member, hence the cologne. He was using the fan to get rid of the smell of sex in the room. He also didn't want to let the club members look around because the faculty member was hiding in one of the compartments.

I quickly suppressed this theory because it was too mature for the show.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
KyoAni should be forbidden to make anything with male characters. All girls.

Why do 99% of all anime male characters look so ugly and boring? I can't tell any of the apart, with a few exceptions.

duckroll

Episode 4

I'm really surprised. This is really an episode of Hyouka I can get behind. If the previous episodes were more like this, I would have enjoyed this series a lot more so far. As usual, the production values are amazing. There's something just incredibly appealing about how the characters move and emote, even when doing subtle things. This episode is refreshing because it shows more of what the town is like outside the school, and they pay a visit to Eru's home. There's even cycling sakuga along the way.

But what really sold me on the episode is how they presented an ongoing mystery in a non-beat-around-the-fucking-bush manner, and instead drove the narrative using evidence being presented, deductions being made, and arguments being created and shot down. The mystery is definitely more interesting than the ones before, and I liked how it created more flavor for the Classics Club in general, which can only help the show in future by making the actual club setting and history more interesting.

Riceballs are also delicious things, and it makes me happy to see well animated riceball making scenes! Om nom nom nom.

I saw the "twist" at the end of the episode coming though, since the first thing I wondered when they "concluded" the mystery was why it had no real emotional reaction from Eru. If she doesn't cry, that's not the actual solution! Yay for hint consistency across episodes! This show is already a better mystery show than Gosick and Un-Go combined, simply because I feel I'm actually having a tiny bit of fun "solving" the mysteries now, even if they're mundane. First the smoking dude, now the non-solving twist! I feel so smart. :D

Instro

Episode 4

Outstanding episode. As always the show is very pretty, top notch animation and backgrounds to go along with great visual direction. There were also some excellent music tracks during the episode, the one used in the cycling scene was particularly great. The use of visuals to complement the evidence discussion and deductions that has been present in the show so far, was ramped up to the max during this episode. There's always something interesting going on visually, whether its sakuga or otherwise. It's very engaging that all the evidence and mysteries are presented in this fashion. It also makes it very easy to follow along with their logic.

With the cast now past the initial setup phase, its interesting to see them in a different setting from the school. In this case they are in the isolated mansion, which means its just them fully carrying the episode. The chemistry that was built between the characters in the prior episodes really comes into play here in episode 4, their interactions within the context of the episode are very enjoyable, often playing off one another throughout the process of presenting their ideas.

You know, this is one of the few times that while watching an anime I'm finding myself wishing it was dubbed. There's just so much happening on screen, between the beautiful animation and backgrounds along with the constant visual storytelling that is used in conjunction with the dialouge during mystery solving scenes. I feel like I am missing out on quite a bit while trying to read the subs.

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 4

You know, with a few words changed here and there I could essentially post virtually the same review of Hyouka every week.

Mayaka gets sick of getting her ideas on the mystery slapped around by Satoshi and it was boring.

The end.

Look forward to future impressions!

Positive note: I liked the change of location, it wasn't the most dull episode and the mystery visuals are still quite welcome.

Soma

Hyouka Episode 04

I don't know what it was exactly but I just didn't care for this episode as much. It didn't grab me like say... the first half of Episode 3.

However I will say that the bicycle scene was probably one of my favorite scenes from the show so far. The conversation, the scenery, the animation and even the music were all superb. It had some very interesting insight from Satoshi about himself and how he views Houtarou. I also feel like we're seeing more development from Houtarou here which is really good considering he's my favorite character thus far.

Just for some reason I wasn't really interested in the actual conversations regarding the deducing and evaluating the theories. There was a lot of dialogue this episode. The interactions and details were great as usual but I didn't feel as involved in this mystery as I felt in recent episodes. Or maybe I was just impatient waiting on Houtarou to drop some knowledge on these kids (which he totally ends up doing although I also believe he had a bit of a reliance on the other three to get to that point). The change of location was nice and I'm happy to see the wheels spinning with this new mystery.

Looking forward to the next episode judging by the title of it.

Branduil

Episode 4

igov4GmCJEgye.jpg

Eat your heart out, Accel World.

I've felt like each succeeding episode has been better than the previous, and this is no exception. I think it certainly helps that the show is now focused on a particular mystery that has personal stakes for one of the characters.

KyoAni's background artists really outdid themselves in this episode. I wasn't kidding about the Accel World comment, it's a very vivid contrast when you look at how much care and thought they put into their backgrounds. The amount of background art in this episode isn't just an accident, it's all there for the purpose of both building a believable and comprehensible world, and establishing an atmosphere that supports the narrative. There's no "crap, this scene takes place in a bathroom, just scribble something out before the deadline" in Hyouka.

It would have been very easy for KyoAni to just use the initial establishing shot to show the scale of the mansion. But consistently, throughout the episode, they continue to build up the size and scope of the home with cutaways that illustrate the various rooms and landscapes. The end result is that you don't just know that they're in a very large, and spacious mansion, but actually feel it without needing to actively think about it.

iVHqs76NU52Ks.jpg

This shot was also a very effective use of traditional perspective to create depth.

Also, some nice 2D (bicycle) mechanical animation:

ibvSCaDDonw3PY.gif

The wheel shot is actually an example of animation on ones, though most of it loops obviously.

Episode 4
tumblr_m3zbf21cTu1qegj01o1_500.gif

The pre bike ride conversation and bike ride conversation were my favorite parts. Satoshi is hilarious. The way the meeting was handled was great though Ibara had pointless chatter and Chitanda needed to calm down, as usual. Pretty funny how Satoshi would keep getting them to change from location to location. He and Oreki really make the anime for me. Probably one of my favorite duos this season.

tumblr_m3zjt9l8i41qdc388o1_r1_500.gif

I liked the return of the animation and visual genjutsus (oreki and all the jpn characters flowing by)
That cant really be all there was to the background of the cultural festival also seems like a huge punishment for it, explusion over just protesting it being shortened, though did that really make him a legend?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Aw, what the hell. Let me post these here too just for posterity, haha.

Episode 5

Is that character development I'm watching?
He decided to spend some of his own energy because the others spend more energy than he can care to imagine! That's character development, alright. Back in the first episode Oreki wouldn't even consider that as a possibility. And then, in the following scene, he gets a call from his sister... And immediately starts thinking about the events that happened around Sekitani Jun because the theory he gave Chitanda was incomplete/incorrect!

Love truly is beautiful.

It was pretty obvious
his theory was missing a few things. In the end, it was a lot more serious business than it seemed.

Hyouka
-> Ice Cream -> I Scream.
They tried to play the mystery card, but everyone who
speaks English
will get it pretty quickly, hahaha.

The graphics showing Youko "growing young" was great, and so were the ones showing her in the first plane in reaction to the events of 45 years ago in the background. The scene in which
the rabbit was eaten by the wolf
was also good. Last episode's gorgeous backgrounds didn't show up this time, though.

But, yeah. A good episode, with
no OP and no ED to make room for closure.
Of this kind.

Here's to a more engaging next arc,
"End Roll of Fools".

duckroll

Episode 5

Pretty solid conclusion to the first arc of the series. What really carries the show in the last two episodes is really strong directing and insane production values. The amount of effort and time KyoAni is putting into the show considering the subject matter is really strange, but well, whatever floats their boat I guess. I liked the conclusion of the mystery, but it wasn't particularly mindblowing or anything. Clever "twist" at the end though. Instead what really kept my interesting throughout the episode was the way most of the scenes were crafted. Lots of really clever shots and designs. Here are my choice picks:

I've been seeing a lot of hand drawn bicycles this season, and I just saw another one in Minori Scramble the other day. Bicycles are nice to look at, and I totally appreciate low camera close ups of bicycles. Why? Because it looks good! :D

This is a super impressive scene because this is only 1 frame out of maybe 50 or so frames which all go by within something like 5 seconds. It's probably the most expensive 5 second sequence I've seen in anime in a long time. Each and every frame is a unique drawing of a character as she reverse ages through her entire life. Really crazy.

The flashback scenes were really well done too, showing a charater running around an animated background showing past events. The screen tone is great and adds a lot to the scene.

Love the cloud porn and the evening lighting contrast. It also does a great job of visually expressing how how characters are feeling in the scene. Oreki looks upwards just before this shot too, which is a great visual cue leading into this. The vast sky dominates the two characters here, creating a strong sense of uncertainty but also possibilities.

Nice high angle shot, making very creative use of the otherwise mundane surrounding to create a solid frame. Also, there's a plane trail in the scene, which makes it the second plane train sky shot I've remarked on in anime recently. Coincidence or fate? If only Houtarou were here to solve this mystery for me. :p

Soma

Hyouka Episode 05

LbNfo.jpg

Poor Sekitani Jun.
He never asked for this.

Man.

That was an amazing episode. I loved it and it was probably my new favorite episode next to episode 3. No OP/ED this week which I'm absolutely fine with since I don't find either of them that great to be honest. The conclusion to this story was pretty satisfying and rather sad as well considering the fate of Eru's uncle. I'm glad to see Houtarou continue to want to be more involved in the mysteries and attempt to break out of his routine. He still remains my favorite character in this show. It's pretty interesting to see how much he can accomplish if he just puts his mind to it and puts out enough effort.

It should go without saying but goddamn this show, and this episode in particular, is fucking gorgeous. The animation, the flashback sequences, the camera angles, the background details, and the music were great on all fronts. It's funny to see KyoAni putting in so much effort into a story like this, but I think in a weird twisted way it gives them a little bit of freedom to focus so much detail and atmosphere into something relatively event-less.

Hoping the next few episodes hold up to the greatness of these past few ones.

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 5

UwHxm.jpg

Time to stop hiding behind the glasses. We know who you are!

Well, this wasn't dull as I've been made to expect all these episodes. The focus, progress
and completion
of the mystery at hand is somewhat to thank for that. Art and storyboard for select scenes still look great especially the
wolf devouring rabbit
scene at around 21 minutes in.

Well, now that
the first mystery is done
, time to move on to "bigger and better" things, hopefully.
I'm not holding my breathe.

First episode to not bore me, but this show gets no "Free Pass" for all the previous snores induced. That said, I will be continuing on with it.

Branduil

Episode 5

ibozYTvxDCBTO2.jpg

Being a rabbit is suffering.

Incredible episode. It's pretty impressive how this show has gotten better each time. The way they illustrated
the librarian's
flashback was very creative, I thought it worked extremely well as a visualization of how memory works. It's almost impossible not to feel sorry for
Eru's poor uncle. It doesn't seem like he ever got over what happened.

With all our discussion about framing recently, it was impossible not to notice all the different ways KyoAni frames multiple characters in interesting and dynamic ways:

Also, the character development for Houtarou was nice, and it was really interesting how they used the visuals to develop it. For instance, seeing
him tap his foot with nervous energy when he figures out the meaning of the title.
And the opening scene had some really gorgeous, symbolic background art:

KyoAni's art direction has become really, really good. I though Nichijou was a nearly flawless example of taking a unique style and making it as aesthetically pleasing as possible, and Hyouka continues that trend. In particular, I think the use of impressionistic lighting is about as good as I've ever seen in TV anime. This is apparently Shuuhei Okude's first time working as an art director, but he did background art for KyoAni's three previous works, so I imagine he was responsible for a lot of the great art in those as well. In any case it seems that KyoAni is doing a good job of developing its own talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom