• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Community |OT| Pudding Pls (*´`) () (^o^)

SerTapTap

Noire figure for preorder on Ami Ami!!! There's also a separate listing with a amiami exclusive LED base/paperweight that I kind of bought on accident before I saw the normal listing. I hope it's cool, they don't have a picture of it.

blanc game looks like it's just nep u again, finding it hard to care, on the other hand i need the seha game so damn much

It's fine with me as long as the bosses are of the quality of Senran Kagura boss fights. I don't mind them refining as they tend to do a really good job of it, at least IF and to a somewhat lesser extent Fellistella have.

What's a Nitroplus?

They make visual novels mostly, and Super Sonico is their mascot. It would be cool, but probably too expensive, if they just actually got Super Sonico. Then again I guess they could do like Broccoli/Puchiko. I expect her to be Sonico inspired at the least.

Picked up Neptunia U last week and I have got to say this game is significantly better looking and more fun than I was expecting.

My first step back into the NepVerse since Neptunia V on PS3 when it first came out.

Nepgear and Ram/Rom team for life.

What's a Nitroplus?
A member of 5pb's harem.

Noire figure for preorder on Ami Ami!!! There's also a separate listing with a amiami exclusive LED base/paperweight that I kind of bought on accident before I saw the normal listing. I hope it's cool, they don't have a picture of it.
Shelving my anti-Noire sentiments for a second, that's a great looking figure. I'm sure we'll be getting a decent Blanc one any day now. Yep. Any day now.

SerTapTap

Picked up Neptunia U last week and I have got to say this game is significantly better looking and more fun than I was expecting.

My first step back into the NepVerse since Neptunia V on PS3 when it first came out.

Nepgear and Ram/Rom team for life.

It's really quite good, though IMO it's not quite as good as an SK game itself...but I'm also quite glad it's not as direct an SK clone as I expected. They did a good job including RPG elements into the game, the main problems are bad boss fights (bosses are practically unmoving tanks) and no real difficulty options.

I was surprised that Estival Versus has a kind of pretty decent Hard Mode with much more aggressive trash mobs, I wonder how Nep U would play like that.

I also kinda hope Blanc vs Zombies has a more balanced goddess vs goddess mode with online. The mode in Nep U is way too wonky balance-wise and the gameplay in general is a bit too focused on "spam attacks, never ever ever get hit".

Shelving my anti-Noire sentiments for a second, that's a great looking figure. I'm sure we'll be getting a decent Blanc one any day now. Yep. Any day now.

It's easily the best non-HDD figure we have...also Noire's HDD figure is the only good one, lol. Gear/Uni broccoli were okay but this one is like, actually worth the price IMO the others were not. Since they've finally found a way to make GOOD figures I hope they keep it up for at least all 4 main goddesses (I wouldn't say no to uzume/plutia but NOT before Vert/Blanc). Alter should keep doing the HDD forms IMO. Definitely not Wing.

HGH

Banned
Behold, Chinese knockoff Neptune from some mobile game.
DGNUrmI.jpg
I looked around a little and apparently the HDN games there are localized as "Hyper Warplane Girls" or something similar.
Chinese knockoffs are pretty funny overall.

This is Japan, you'll get another 30 Noire figures and like it. Still salty that Broccoli made an atrocious mess of the only Uni and Nepgear figures we'll ever get, yet put some effort into making a decent Noire.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Behold, Chinese knockoff Neptune from some mobile game.

I looked around a little and apparently the HDN games there are localized as "Hyper Warplane Girls" or something similar.
Chinese knockoffs are pretty funny overall.

This is... amusing! I guess Nep is big enough to get a bootleg then :p

SerTapTap

This is Japan, you'll get another 30 Noire figures and like it. Still salty that Broccoli made an atrocious mess of the only Uni and Nepgear figures we'll ever get, yet put some effort into making a decent Noire.

Finally someone else that hates those Broccoli figures. I always complain about them and people tell me they're fine. The poses/stands are great but the faces are bad and the face is the single most important part. And something about the skin tone feels a bit off too.

But I wonder if part of it wasn't just low quantity of fucks-given. Like I said, ALL neptunia figures were pretty crappy (honestly the chibis are probably the highest quality relative to price, and the Nendoroid is of course Nendo quality). I hope they're turning it around because the last two are good. It's kind of weird how bad Compile Heart is at merchandizing Neptunia globally. I would buy a ton of this stuff if they brought it to the US.
Well I still buy a lot of it but there's also a lot I'm not as willing to chase down

I hope them parting ways with NISA doesn't mean less localized swag. I got an Etna rubber strap for $9, if I want a Noire strap I have to pay $30+

Demoskinos

So Vylash told me about this thread. Got way into Re;Birth 1 over the last few weeks. My first game in the series. Was looking for a new game on my vita now that I've pretty much completely expended Senran Kagura.

I've been really impressed. One of the things I really like is that while this game is rife with game references they actually bother to try to establish some sort of lore around all of this stuff rather than be just a slew of references.

Currently on chapter 3. I think so far Vert is my favorite.

Finally beat Rebirth 2, got the Normal ending. I'm going back for a NG+ to at least get the True Ending, along with the Conquest Ending just to see what all the fuss is about that. Not sure I have the patience to do all the endings, though. If I'm not interested in getting the platinum, are any of the others particularly worth getting?

OMG Aero

Finally beat Rebirth 2, got the Normal ending. I'm going back for a NG+ to at least get the True Ending, along with the Conquest Ending just to see what all the fuss is about that. Not sure I have the patience to do all the endings, though. If I'm not interested in getting the platinum, are any of the others particularly worth getting?
If you don't care about trophies, no.
All of the nation specific endings are just the normal ending with an extra scene tacked on at the end featuring that nation, and the holy sword ending is basically the conquest ending but made happier and including some scenes from the true ending.
The only endings worth getting are the true ending (obviously) and the conquest ending since it's so different from every other one.

SerTapTap

So Vylash told me about this thread. Got way into Re;Birth 1 over the last few weeks. My first game in the series. Was looking for a new game on my vita now that I've pretty much completely expended Senran Kagura.

I've been really impressed. One of the things I really like is that while this game is rife with game references they actually bother to try to establish some sort of lore around all of this stuff rather than be just a slew of references.

Currently on chapter 3. I think so far Vert is my favorite.

Yeah I really love how they weave in the game references at every level, down to the clothing (in later games)

Glad you like Vert, IMO almost all the characters are great but Vert is a little under-appreciated. She's got a lot of depth that people ironically ignore while claiming her boobs are her only interesting feature because they're apparently incapable of understanding personalities. Also she gets less focus than the other main characters (save perhaps Blanc) so you kinda have to play all 3 games to catch everything. She honestly used to be my least favorite but now she's my fav along with Noire.

BTW, Rebirth 1 is probably the worst in the new series gameplaywise, but the humor is still great. Look forward to less/no difficulty spikes in the later games, and some nice features like 4 character parties and some grind-reducing features. Don't ignore your plans!

If you want the platinum/trohpies then yes, the ending trophies are slightly annoying but mostly just require a save in chapter 6 before the final boss, then you move shares into a single nation to see the "normal +" for that nation. Should take you like, half an hour if you OHKO the boss and skip non-new scenes. The new scenes are kinda funny, but were not worth making "endings" of. What they should have done is add each scene to the normal ending if you had high enough lilly rank to get them (they are all basically the normal end). Also, the worst part is if you save and reset to get the endings, you get the trophies but not the CG unlocks--and the CG unlocks are absolutely not worth an NG+ cycle.

It's not as bad as it seems though. Only the True and Conquest ending require particular effort, and the True Holy Sword which is just a lily rank grindfest on top of Conquest (but even that grind isn't too bad with lily+ disks).

The good thing about rebirth 2 is, other than Stella, you have tools at your disposal to turn almost any relevant grind into a cakewalk, between credits +, drop rate +, lily rank + and Symbol Gain you should be able to do almost anything you want without much trouble. The biggest annoyance is all the True-ending only items if you're locked in Conquest end or too early to get them.

aitakute

Nitroplus-chan looks awesome. I'm glad she doesn't look like Sonico. Also, Pururut and Piishe confirmed for Blanc game. Were they in Nep U?

aitakute

I need some help. Does the "見聞者パック" dlc for VII worth a buy? "ゲイムギョウ界最強防具セット Type-A and B" too

HGH

Banned
I need some help. Does the "見聞者パック" dlc for VII worth a buy? "ゲイムギョウ界最強防具セット Type-A and B" too
I wouldn't say so. Really, none of the DLC seems of much use other than the usual breaking the game with overpowered stuff style equipment.
The first is a set of 5 scouts (the three Oracles, Plutia, Peashy). There's nothing really unique about them other than being good, and there's more than enough Scouts in the main game anyway.
Type A and B are two sets of defensive equipments, 3 pieces each. Look at their stats here, they're the last 6 items in the table. It's the usual super broken defensive equipment that makes you nigh invulnerable.

EDIT: Oh right new character and stuff, woohoo. Nitroplus seems fine I guess.
Plutia better be toned down from V though. Peashy's ok.

SerTapTap

So glad that Plutia and Peashy are back for the Blanc Tag game, I just hope now that it's not just a local multiplayer game but also online.

Really? Surprising but not unwelcome I guess (though frankly there's several makers, a villain and a couple oracles I'd take over them).

And PS Vita games are all but guaranteed to be online as well as local...if you design adhoc you're a large % of the way to doing online, both are already single player per screen networked multiplayer.

I wouldn't say so. Really, none of the DLC seems of much use other than the usual breaking the game with overpowered stuff style equipment.
The first is a set of 5 scouts (the three Oracles, Plutia, Peashy). There's nothing really unique about them other than being good, and there's more than enough Scouts in the main game anyway.
Type A and B are two sets of defensive equipments, 3 pieces each. Look at their stats here, they're the last 6 items in the table. It's the usual super broken defensive equipment that makes you nigh invulnerable.

EDIT: Oh right new character and stuff, woohoo. Nitroplus seems fine I guess.
Plutia better be toned down from V though. Peashy's ok.

Which DLC thing for VII is the level cap break? Is it a single one this time?

Nitroplus is...certainly a thing. I dunno, her outfit isn't bad but at the same time doesn't really stand out. Maybe I just don't know enough non-sonico nitroplus stuff to get references though. Nothing as good as Million's crown or the other girl's techy dress.

Plutia's battle quotes and stuff are fine IMO. It's the story where she ruins everything. Just exclude her from the story and all is well.

So are there any Vert/Lady Greenheart figures about? :eek:

No, nothing for Blanc or Vert, lots of (mostly low quality) planeptune and Lastation character figures. The only current high quality figures are Noire (broccoli), Black Heart (alter) and Neptune (Nendoroid) IMO. And there's some chibi figures (nendo-petit sized, not sure of brand) that are okay but I believe they're pretty hard to get, all limited edition only I think, and all Japan only except Noire who you missed the sale for.

Demoskinos

Re;1 Spoilers:
Just met Older and Younger brother. The whole bit with Neptune changing to purple heart to get the two guys to notice her and making Iffy salty in the process had me in stitches. This game is alright I tell ya.

SerTapTap

Re;1 Spoilers:
Just met Older and Younger brother. The whole bit with Neptune changing to purple heart to get the two guys to notice her and making Iffy salty in the process had me in stitches. This game is alright I tell ya.

Vert's punishment is the best. Makes me sad she has the least focus in Reb 3 and pretty low in 2 as well. At least she gets a whole sidestory in VII (everyone does), I'm hoping the representation is more even in that game but I can't really tell because of the language barrier. But It was at least more even than friggin Victory with Neptune and Plutia onscreen like 50% of the entire game

Okay, so a friend lent me his Vita collection of these games. Ive always been curious about the series ever since it came out on PS3 but never got to try it.

Started playing Rebirth 1 about 3 days ago and im instantly a new fan, its so charming and lovable. Game is pretty challenging with the optional dungeons, Im lvl 20 ish at the moment and I still have to be careful.

Still, one thing thats been bugging me....I usually play RPG games in order of canon/origin that makes sense, which is why I started Rebirth 1, thinking it was just a port of the PS3 game with new system mechanics and such. But im starting to notice thats not the case with certain characters hinting about how they know the party members. I doubt the original was like that, can someone give me some insight? its starting to get to me.

So far ive met these characters:

Broccoli
Falcom
MAGES.

IIRC Falcom represents a game company also in the same vain as Compa and IF, but why would they bother making a character like that if they aren't going to be part of the main story?

Is what MAGES. discussed actually true? or is it just character development fluff?

I just want to know if I started with the correct game honestly.

EDIT: Also, Compa is best girl! (for now....)

SerTapTap

Broccoli
Falcom
MAGES.

IIRC Falcom represents a game company also in the same vain as Compa and IF, but why would they bother making a character like that if they aren't going to be part of the main story?

Is what MAGES. discussed actually true? or is it just character development fluff?

I just want to know if I started with the correct game honestly.

EDIT: Also, Compa is best girl! (for now....)

You started the correct game. The characters you're talking about are ex-DLC mixed into the original game, and due to the self-awareness of the series there's a few references to the fact that it's a remake, and a reference to the second game you won't understand (it's for the best). There are a few jokes slipped in for longtime players.

Dunno the deal with Falcom, possibly because she was DLC in the first game?
Neptune calls Brocolli Puchiko because...Brocolli is literally Puchiko from one of Brocolli's IPs.
I forget with MAGES, her whole deal is she's time and space blah blah blah, I think it's a Steinsgate reference?

As for Falcom representing a company, there are two kinds of characters:

CPU (Canidates) and Makers. The CPUs represent game consoles (or console brands at this point), Candidates represent the portable brands, and Makers represent game making companies. Generally the Makers will be named directly after a company and they're licensed directly by that company (not 100% sure how this all works...but it seems like NIS, not CH, actually owns NISA for instance?). Outside of the Oracles in game 2 (and Histoire in all games) every playable character is a company reference, and most villains are references to piracy, specific pirate hardware etc.

The Makers are often DLC but most DLC characters were integrated into the story for the rebirth games--in fact almost all prior DLC is included via ingame unlocks now.

You started the correct game. The characters you're talking about are ex-DLC mixed into the original game, and due to the self-awareness of the series there's a few references to the fact that it's a remake, and a reference to the second game you won't understand (it's for the best). There are a few jokes slipped in for longtime players.

Dunno the deal with Falcom, possibly because she was DLC in the first game?
Neptune calls Brocolli Puchiko because...Brocolli is literally Puchiko from one of Brocolli's IPs.
I forget with MAGES, her whole deal is she's time and space blah blah blah, I think it's a Steinsgate reference?

As for Falcom representing a company, there are two kinds of characters:

CPU (Canidates) and Makers. The CPUs represent game consoles (or console brands at this point), Candidates represent the portable brands, and Makers represent game making companies. Generally the Makers will be named directly after a company and they're licensed directly by that company (not 100% sure how this all works...but it seems like NIS, not CH, actually owns NISA for instance?). Outside of the Oracles in game 2 (and Histoire in all games) every playable character is a company reference, and most villains are references to piracy, specific pirate hardware etc.

The Makers are often DLC but most DLC characters were integrated into the story for the rebirth games--in fact almost all prior DLC is included via ingame unlocks now.

Wow, so all those characters I met will eventually join me? THATS AWESOME! Thanks for the quick reply and explanation! I love RPG games that give me a lot of options with characters selection.

Did not know about the villains being pirate ware.....clever, lol.

SerTapTap

Wow, so all those characters I met will eventually join me? THATS AWESOME! Thanks for the quick reply and explanation! I love RPG games that give me a lot of options with characters selection.

Did not know about the villains being pirate ware.....clever, lol.

The villain references range from subtle (at least to western audiences) to overt, names like Warechu/pirachu and Arfoire (the R4 is a flashcart for the DS). There is seldom a name, skill or item description that isn't a reference, a lot of stuff is really obscure or clever. To fully appreciate these games would take an amazing amount of homework, I've played a massive amount of games and there's still stuff that flies over my head.

The games really reward thorough knowledge of gaming (and to a lesser extent japanese culture) for those who look through all the descriptions and clothing options to see all the cool stuff. Even characters' clothes are references--one of my favorites is that on the bottom of K Sha's (Konami) shoe, which you can only see while she's jumping, is the Konami Code. It's a shame critics never seem to properly appreciate how much love and work clearly goes into all this.

And yeah, if you see a character portrait and they aren't obviously a villain they probably join your party--the series isn't big on side-characters what with the low budget and high quality art for the animated portraits. Be warned that the Maker characters can be a bit weak mostly due to limited skill range and no transformations. This is a problem they've slowly fixed throughout the series, but it's rather apparent in Rebirth 1. But use who you want really, aside from a few difficulty spikes you can easily make do with anyone and some skill.

Game has pretty crazy amounts of playable characters now. I think it's like 16 before DLC in Victory 2, it's pretty close to that number in Rebirth 1 if you unlock them all and buy the DLC chars (BTW, buy the DLC chars, they're good to the point of being kinda OP and fully fleshed out characters for only a buck)

OMG Aero

I didn't realise until I played through the Vita version of Steins;Gate a few weeks back but MAGES. is almost literally a female magician version of Okabe from Steins;Gate.
All her talk about the Organization is straight from Steins;Gate as are her references to Dr Pepper, one-way conversations over a communicator where there is no-one on the other end of the line and she is actually just talking to herself, the way she refers to herself as the "Mad Magician" (Mad Scientist in Steins;Gate), the way she keeps calling Noire her assistant which annoys her, one of her events with Nepgear in Victory is about one of the Future Gadget Lab's creations, one of her costumes is straight up Makise Kurisu's clothes, and there are probably more that aren't coming to mind at the moment.
It kind of amazed me how much thought they put into her and made me wonder if the other company characters have as much effort put into them, since I'm not really familiar with the companies the other characters are based on aside from obvious ones like Tekken.

Falcom was DLC in Mk2 originally, the same as Cave. They then brought her back as DLC again for Victory (this time with a younger alternate version too). By the time the Re;Birth games rolled around though, because of various reasons Gust, Nisa, Red and 5pb (who were DLC in the original game) couldn't be brought back so they put MAGES, Brocolli, Tekken and Falcom in the game instead (who were the 4 DLC characters in Victory) and just threw in a nod that they're from a different dimension (literally the dimension in Victory).

Re;Birth 1 is a bit odd in that respect, it's basically using most of Victory's assets as the original game aged so horribly that nothing was salvageable, Re;Birth 2 and 3 are mostly unchanged in comparison.

Falcom was DLC in Mk2 originally, the same as Cave. They then brought her back as DLC again for Victory (this time with a younger alternate version too). By the time the Re;Birth games rolled around though, because of various reasons Gust, Nisa, Red and 5pb (who were DLC in the original game) couldn't be brought back so they put MAGES, Brocolli, Tekken and Falcom in the game instead (who were the 4 DLC characters in Victory) and just threw in a nod that they're from a different dimension (literally the dimension in Victory).

Re;Birth 1 is a bit odd in that respect, it's basically using most of Victory's assets as the original game aged so horribly that nothing was salvageable, Re;Birth 2 and 3 are mostly unchanged in comparison.

So 4 characters got taken out? wow that sucks.....

Miff

Well we got 5pb and Red back for Re;Birth 2, but the problem with Gust (which was also originally the issue with Red) is they obviously got bought out, meanwhile NIS and IF aren't exactly on good terms any more due to how NIS were treating their staff, so Nisa is never coming back. That's why Broccoli replaced Gust and Red replaced Nisa in Re;Birth 2.

SerTapTap

I don't get the "pururut" thing, it's pronounced "pururuto" which is just a mangling of Pluto

Anyway, are there more costumes available in Blanc or do we know yet? The schoolgirl outfit is cute but...EVERYONE has the same outfit. Especially boring since now all the flat characters have identical silhouettes (which is like half the cast). Even in Nep U I was hoping for more Senran kagura style dress up options

Oh, that reminds me!
After making a fortune, Gust went back to her home planet and retired.
CJism1yUAAAF1dL.jpg

From Gust's Official PR Twitter. They use her as a store mascot now.

poochie-slide.jpg

That's neat they're using her as a store mascot, why'd she disappeared from the game though? Not that I mind, her and pretty much everyone else under the age of 14 is my least favorite character.

Well we got 5pb and Red back for Re;Birth 2, but the problem with Gust (which was also originally the issue with Red) is they obviously got bought out, meanwhile NIS and IF aren't exactly on good terms any more due to how NIS were treating their staff, so Nisa is never coming back. That's why Broccoli replaced Gust and Red replaced Nisa in Re;Birth 2.

Oh...but wait...do NIS and Gust straight up own Gust and NISA then? I noticed NIS is using NISA in Disgaea 5 best I can tell without CH's involvement?

Looks like I found my second ever anime figure. I swore the first one would be the last :).

Also pre-ordered the amiami exclusive... it looks like you get the original base as well, so can't lose right?

I thought that with my first Nendoroid. Now I can't even remember which was the first and I have like 10 and a bunch of other stuff, and $300 of Neptunia figures on order from AmiAmi

They were DLC characters, not really relevant to the main story I think. And 5PB and Cave are fortunately back in Rebirth 2 where they were (somewhat) stroy relevant, and also in Rebirth 3. Red is back in those as well. ...in fact, why ARE they missing from reb 1 since they clearly managed to get them in the others?

Gust and NISA are the only characters for sure gone. I'm honestly surprised it's only two considering licensing those characters must be a complete nightmare for a fairly low budget studio.

I didn't realise until I played through the Vita version of Steins;Gate a few weeks back but MAGES. is almost literally a female magician version of Okabe from Steins;Gate.
All her talk about the Organization is straight from Steins;Gate as are her references to Dr Pepper, one-way conversations over a communicator where there is no-one on the other end of the line and she is actually just talking to herself, the way she refers to herself as the "Mad Magician" (Mad Scientist in Steins;Gate), the way she keeps calling Noire her assistant which annoys her, one of her events with Nepgear in Victory is about one of the Future Gadget Lab's creations, one of her costumes is straight up Makise Kurisu's clothes, and there are probably more that aren't coming to mind at the moment.
It kind of amazed me how much thought they put into her and made me wonder if the other company characters have as much effort put into them, since I'm not really familiar with the companies the other characters are based on aside from obvious ones like Tekken.

Many of the company girls share a lot of personality from company characters--Broccoli is Puchiko (nyu), Marvelous isn't any one Senran Kagura character, but she'd fit right in amongst them, NISA seems like the sort of raving sidekick you'd find in Disgaea (she slightly reminds me of how Aurum shouts JUSTICE!), CC2 is Kite x Blackrose from .Hack right down to the tattoos and Blackrose's skin color, S Sha is basically Paine x Squall, C Sha is Mega Jill.

And there's probably more I don't fully appreciate because I'm not as familiar with a lot of these companies (for instance, MAGES. and 5PB I mostly know for Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds and a couple of shmups)

HGH

Banned
Oh...but wait...do NIS and Gust straight up own Gust and NISA then? I noticed NIS is using NISA in Disgaea 5 best I can tell without CH's involvement?
Yes. The companies own their Neptunia mascots.
Cyberconnect has a couple artbooks published that are just various pictures of CC2 doing stuff, along with concept art. And I recall seeing Tekken as part of some Tekken 6 or 7 merch.

SerTapTap

Yes. The companies own their Neptunia mascots.
Cyberconnect has a couple artbooks published that are just various pictures of CC2 doing stuff, along with concept art. And I recall seeing Tekken as part of some Tekken 6 or 7 merch.

What?! Where can I find these glorious artbooks?

They were DLC characters, not really relevant to the main story I think. And 5PB and Cave are fortunately back in Rebirth 2 where they were (somewhat) stroy relevant, and also in Rebirth 3. Red is back in those as well. ...in fact, why ARE they missing from reb 1 since they clearly managed to get them in the others?

Red also got bought out, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had to try and sort out the licencing for that. Being brutally honest Re;Birth 1 is a very low budget remake, they literally reused everything they could from Victory, it wouldn't surprise me if they just decided to do a blanket replacement of the problem characters with ones they could easily use. It's the only way the lack of 5pb would make sense, since 5pb (and Nao) is usually involved with every Neptunia game anyway.

SerTapTap

Red also got bought out, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had to try and sort out the licencing for that. Being brutally honest Re;Birth 1 is a very low budget remake, they literally reused everything they could from Victory, it wouldn't surprise me if they just decided to do a blanket replacement of the problem characters with ones they could easily use. It's the only way the lack of 5pb would make sense, since 5pb (and Nao) is usually involved with every Neptunia game anyway.

Yeah, on that note it's kinda sad to see first-time neptunia players complain that Rebirth 3 reuses stuff too much--victory had some re-use, but the real issue here is Rebirth 1 is all but completely salvaged from Victory's assets. The budget on the remakes seems pretty low so I can't really complain too much.

I don't even mind reuse when it includes cool references to stuff, I'd be really sad to see the pac man ghosts and stuff disappear for instance, and I was even a little disapointed some of the new monsters from the rebirths weren't kept even for a single encounter, like the Purr4 and Xdog from Rebirth 1.

Their method of reuse is really weird honestly. They'll reuse one enemy 4 times then they'll leave another prior enemy 100% out of the game. Surely it'd be more fresh if they used both 2 times instead of one four times and one not at all? For instance Victory 2 is missing a few Risky Foe designs, and not just the Mk2 boss palette swaps--they could have at least kept Cyberwhale, he's a classic.

And as for characters, reuse the fuck out of 'em IMO. I'd be fine with "DLC" style treatment with no story consequences and less/no new attacks if it lets me at least keep CC2 and so on around

The maps though, the maps get super old. Especially the ones with no variation in layout.

SerTapTap

I dunno. I'll just give you the names to google.

I found them, but nooooooooooooooooooooooo the happy birthday pack can't ship to the US from amazon.jp...ugh I guess I'll have to find a forwarder. Surprised how much stuff there is actually, little keychain thing, mug, fancy carrying bag.

Surprised I was never recommended these while hunting for all the neptunia art books on amazon.jp

SerTapTap

Yeah, this is the biggest flaw of the series IMO. I'd take less dungeons overall if it meant that there was more unique layouts and/or "themes."

That's kinda what Victory 2 does--there are a few "themed" new dungeons, and most of the new dungeons are made out of parts they can move around into different layouts (however three of the new map types are really abstract which helps in making them easy to lay out, so it's kinda cheating, but I don't personally mind that nearly as much as I mind THE EXACT SAME MAP).

Still a bit much reuse of assets in Victory 2 (I'm fine with reusing maps, ONCE. Maps shouldn't be reused more than once...especially when some maps aren't reused??)

Top Bottom