• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hypothetical Game: Pacific Rim

Veelk

Banned
The last big monster game I remember playing is Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters, which was pretty damn fun, but I may be wrong due to the fact that I was 12 at the time and easily impressed. I haven't played a big monster game in a long while, but having seen and loved Pacific Rim, it brought back the urge.

The best thing about a Pacific Rim game would be that all the cool Jaegars and Kaiju that only got a limited appearance in the movie could shine here. It's fine that the movie wanted to focus the story on the pilots of the Gipsy Danger, but I think all of us wanted to see more Cherno Alpha, Crimson Typhoon, and Striker Eureka, and those are the lucky 3 that made it into the main plot. My personal favorite, Tacit Ronin, was there for a grand total of 3 seconds. Same thing with the Kaiju. I want to see more Knifehead and Mutavore.

So, yeah, Pacific Rim. Make it happen, random anonymous developer reading this post. You can say it's your idea, just make it reality

Uhm. If any game was ever meant to be a Kinect game, it was Pacific Rim.

Hopefully we'll get Pacific Rim 2 and Next Gen kinect combo.

But there's already a Pacific Rim game.

I think this is the second thread we've had suggesting a Pacific Rim game despite the fact that there actually is a Pacific Rim game.

Agreed though. Something more like Destroy All Monsters! would be appreciated.

There was a monster brawler game on PS2, if I remember correctly. I don't remember the name, but you were giant monsters fighting in cities. It was a great two-player game.

Veelk

Banned
But there's already a Pacific Rim game.

Really? Oh, wow, talk about a research failure.

*facepalm*

Nevermind, lock the topic up then.

Edit: Or keep it going with big monster/robot fighting game recommendations. Eithers cool.

Afrikan

surprised this wasn't posted.

the original
tumblr_lnhg7xLiKm1qemdmxo1_400.jpg

War_of_the_Monsters_1.jpg

Rezbit

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee was freaking awesome. Had heaps of fun playing that with friends. A Pacific Rim game in that fashion would be the best thing.

Dezmond

Banned
I played the demo of the Actual Extant Pacific Rim game, and I dunno, seemed okay.

I liked that it has left punch on one button and right punch on another so you can kind of LEFT PUNCH RIGHT PUNCH LEFT PUNCH RIGHT PUNCH whale on a beast.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Scratch the monsters entirely.

Have it be the premise of G Gundam where different countries send their own Jaegers to fight in a tournament.

LiK

Really? Oh, wow, talk about a research failure.

*facepalm*

Nevermind, lock the topic up then.

Edit: Or keep it going with big monster/robot fighting game recommendations. Eithers cool.

it's a shit game, sadly.

Veelk

Banned
it's a shit game, sadly.

From what I'm seeing, we don't have much of a selection in terms of Jaegars and Kaiju either. Okay, alternate thread title: Hypothetical Game: BETTER Pacific Rim.

I want to play as the goddamn Tacit Ronin, dammit.

Allforce

sigh It's sad everyone forgets one of the greatest robot games ever: Robot Alchemic Drive or R.A.D.

RADcover.jpg

Need to put this on PS2 Classics on the PSN shop, they did War of the Monsters already!

I want to crush Nanao's house over and over again.

Such a fantastic game that nobody has ever played, like the post above, the controls made it so amazing. Having to maneuver your pilot into a decent position to view and control the battle was great.

Do you know how hard it is to synch 2 people together?

st3dad96.gif

I think they could have a two person mode, or you know single player.

You don't have to make it two players per jager lol. They could do that though for like crazy added difficulty.

Then again the AI can be your 2nd half, and that would also make it easier, heck even incorporate a sort of dance central command system, so you and your AI counterpart are doing the same move ect.

There are numerous routes they could take, skipping all of them is a big missed opportunity.

Dezmond

Banned
I think the sorta 1200 microsoft point downloadable title is a good space for movie ties in games though. You don't need to spend £30 on it. They don't need to make a game that you might potentially feel was good value as a full £30.

You spend a couple of hours playing out recreations of the cool bits of the movie you just saw and everyone is happy.

Veelk

Banned
I think the sorta 1200 microsoft point downloadable title is a good space for movie ties in games though. You don't need to spend £30 on it. They don't need to make a game that you might potentially feel was good value as a full £30.

You spend a couple of hours playing out recreations of the cool bits of the movie you just saw and everyone is happy.

I guess, but I want it to be better than just a cheap imitation. The Batman games, for example, don't just replicate any one storyline, but capture the entire experience of being Batman. Having a deeper combat system with more selectable characters would give the video game to capture the essence of the movie more completely. The XBLA game, I can't call it a rip off I guess, but I would want it to be better.

pacific rim game.... just imagine a game structured like xcom in base building/mech management, with a slow methotical thingy magig combat. could be great.

Dezmond

Banned
I guess, but I want it to be better than just a cheap imitation. The Batman games, for example, don't just replicate any one storyline, but capture the entire experience of being Batman.

The Arkham games are not actual tie in games though. I think there is a space for something to impulse buy when you come out of a movie that is more like, well, Blood Dragon or Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

The X-Com style game is a great idea though. Someone should make that.

pacific rim game.... just imagine a game structured like xcom in base building/mech management, with a slow methotical thingy magig combat. could be great.

A guy in the /m/ boards of 4chan also suggested a game like this. Your funding would also be dependent on the government's confidence with the way you handle the kaijus. And if your approval rating gets low, they build the wall and you would have problems with getting funds.

Endo Punk

With Warner Bros being a big player in the games industry this gen you would think they would have actually tried to make a decent game out of this, I mean the content is perfect video game material. I demand they get Rocksteady on a proper PR game, unless they have something better cooking...

I'd love a first person Pacific Rim game with Oculus Rift support, maybe some motion control, and mech + base management like another gaffer said.

I know Sunstone games were looking into getting the rights for Pacific Rim so they could either make a game like Kaiju Combat or incorporate the Jaegers/Kaiju from the movie into it. But for some reason they couldn't, I guess because WB may have wanted a game out now and they may not have been able to do that while still finishing off the game engine for Kaiju Combat. Hopefully they may be able to get the rights for it later on.

Sunstone Games by the way is made up of the team who made Godzilla DAMM and its sequels.

Overboost

There's also a free multiplayer Pacific Rim game in PlayStation Home in Europe... you know, if that's your sort of thing. Don't know who the developer is, haven't played it.

Top Bottom