• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hypothetical: Say Nintendo Vs Capcom Becomes A Reality...

I made this thread because I've been thinking about it a lot lately for the reasons I'll explain. Also, because in the SSB4 Ballot Discussion thread, it's been heading into that territory. So why not make it's own thread for others to discuss in?

--------------------------------
--------------------------------​

With the leaked data of Ryu in the 3DS version of SSB4, complete with a victory and stage theme found. Why is there another Capcom representative being added to Smash? Could there be something going on? or simply just a deal that they had from the beginning? Whatever it is, this definitely opens the doors. We all know Capcom/Nintendo are pretty tight with each other.

Not only that, but back in 2011, Ono has expressed interest over an NvC fighting game. Which has sparked many people in thinking it was going to happen.

The article in question

Edit: I should also mention that maybe it could happen on the NX, since I can't see it being on the Wii U with Sm4sh out.

So now I ask...

What would you want from it? What characters would you look forward to? How would you want it to play like? Would you be excited? Etc.

There's a lot that this game could bring in possibilities.

I for one would hope it goes in the direction of Tatsunoko vs Capcom with the Baroque/Mega Crash mechanic in play. I also wouldn't mind the button set of MvC3 with L/M/H/Launcher. But that's just me.

I know people wouldn't agree with it, but this what I feel would be great.

My Character Roster:

Capcom

1. Ryu (Street Fighter)
2. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
3. X (Mega Man X; the new design pls)
4. Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends)
5. Sigma (Mega Man X)
6. Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
7. Tessa (Red Earth)
8. Princess Tiara (Gaia Masters) / Devilotte (Cyberbots)
9. Viewtiful Joe (Viewitful Joe)
10. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
11. Amaterasu (Okami)
12. Strider Hiryu (Strider)
13. Ryu (Breath of Fire 3)
14. Rouge (PowerStone)
15. Date Masamune (Sengoku Basara)
16. Akira Kazama (Rival Schools)
17. Ruby Heart (Great Voyage Frontier)
18. Zack & Wiki (Zack & Wiki)
19. Arthur (Ghost & Goblins)
20. Firebrand (Demon's Crest)

*I didn't include characters of DMC/RE due to having guns; Didn't include Monster Hunter due to the company

Nintendo:

1. Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
2. Peach
3. Bowser
4. Link (Legend of Zelda)
5. Zelda
6. Ganondorf
7. Fox (StarFox)
8. Captain Falcon (F-Zero)
9. Ness (EarthBound)
10. Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
11. Samus (Metroid)
12. Pit (Kid Icarus)
13. Marth (Fire Emblem)
14. Donkey Kong
16. Kirby
17. Isaac (Golden Sun)
18. Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)
19. Sami (Advance Wars)
20. Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle)

*Didn't include Pokemon due to the company

Anteo

I for one would hope it goes in the direction of Tatsunoko vs Capcom with the Baroque/Mega Crash mechanic in play. I also wouldn't mind the button set of MvC3 with L/M/H/Launcher. But that's just me.

I dont know, I dont see a fighter with Nintendo not being a smash bros like game, unless you stop including certain characters, for example I cant see Mario fighting Ryu in any other setting than smash bros.
So basically, Melee 2.0

Crayolan

Nintendo vs. Capcom is my dream game. It would be the coolest thing ever.

Though I'm sure a lot of the Nintendo half of the roster would be comprised of characters already in Smash, I'd hope they'd give some lesser known series a chance to shine on both sides.

I don't feel like making a dream roster for a hypothetical, but I totally would if it ever comes true.

I dont know, I dont see a fighter with Nintendo not being a smash bros like game, unless you stop including certain characters, for example I cant see Mario fighting Ryu in any other setting than smash bros.
So basically, Melee 2.0

It would have to be developed by Capcom, with gameplay similar to MvC3 or TvC. No point in making a smash clone with almost half the roster being the same.

Jawmuncher

I would need capcom to not be held back by nintendo for character selection. Since in a cross over game capcom would be the side I care about the most. If they were to be restricted from using gun characters a good bit of my interest would be lost. MVC3 was a big deal for me mainly because of the resident evil characters I could pick.Frankly i've never been too keen on the idea of this cross over, even though it's apparently something a lot of GAF would like to see. Which is funny to me since i'm pretty big about cross overs in general.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would need capcom to not be held back by nintendo for character selection. Since in a cross over game capcom would be the side I care about the most. If they were to be restricted from using gun characters a good bit of my interest would be lost. MVC3 was a big deal for me mainly because of the resident evil characters I could pick.Frankly i've never been too keen on the idea of this cross over, even though it's apparently something a lot of GAF would like to see. Which is funny to me since i'm pretty big about cross overs in general.

I'm surprised that you wouldn't even dare to suggest your favorite character, Regina!

I would love to see Regina being playable character with ability to summon (by somehow) the dinosaurs, just like Frank West and Jill Valentine (MVC2)

Hypothetical: Say Nintendo Vs Capcom Becomes A Reality...

889.gif

NotLiquid

Amiibo will never be the same.

I wouldn't mind MvC3 type game play but I'm pretty bad at fighting games in general so

So basically, Melee 2.0

What's wrong with Mario going against Ryu? I mean there's plenty of other characters you would expect to "fight".

But will I get a Roll amiibo? Asking for a friend.

Mhmm, sure. :p

Nintendo vs. Capcom is my dream game. It would be the coolest thing ever.

Though I'm sure a lot of the Nintendo half of the roster would be comprised of characters already in Smash, I'd hope they'd give some lesser known series a chance to shine on both sides.

Of course, it's bound to happen. There's already so many characters in Smash 4 already. Although, I doubt any Pokemon characters would pop up. Due to how the company about such things.

I'm sure they would, at least that's what TvC did.

So, how did you feel about TvC then? Also surprised about no mention of Regina from you.

Also, I'd choose MegaMan Volnutt over X in this series. Or the NT MegaMan. They gotta get some love too!

But Volnutt was in TvC. I chose X because he hasn't been playable yet. X needs love! We need the damn zoner moveset already! :p

What if, we actually get the first 3 way company fighter?

Tarsunoko vs Capcom vs Nintendo!

.....I just wanna see a sequel to TvC and how 3 way cross over would be in the genre. =[

I like the roster! Especially Zack & Wiki. For me...

1. Mega Man (Mega Man)
2. Roll (Mega Man)
3. Dr. Wily (Mega Man)
4. Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends)
5. Proto Man (Mega Man)
6. Mega Man Zero (Mega Man Zero)
7. Morrigan Aensland (DarkStalkers)
8. Ryu (Street Fighter)
9. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
10. M. Bison (Street Fighter)
11. Arthur (Ghosts'N Goblins)
12. Firebrand (Demon's Crest)
13. Amaterasu (Okami)
14. Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
15. Sexy Sylvia (Viewtiful Joe)
16. Nina (Breath of Fire III)
17. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
18. Franziska von Karma (Ace Attorney)
19. Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
20. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
21. Nemesis T-Type (Resident Evil)
22. Zack & Wiki (Zack & Wiki)
23. Strider Hiryu (Strider)
24. Sissel & Missile (Ghost Trick)
25. Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)

Nintendo:

1. Mario (Mario)
2. Luigi (Luigi's Mansion)
3. Peach (Mario)
4. Bowser (Mario)
5. Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong)
6. Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong)
7. Wario (Wario)
8. Yoshi (Yoshi)
9. Pikachu (Pokemon)
10. Charizard (Pokemon)
11. Mewtwo (Pokemon)
12. Link (The Legend of Zelda)
13. Zelda (The Legend of Zelda)
14. Ganon (The Legend of Zelda)
15. Kirby (Kirby)
16. King Dedede (Kirby)
17. Samus (Metroid)
18. Ridley (Metroid)
19. Marth (Fire Emblem)
20. Fox (Star Fox)
21. Little Mac (Punch-Out!!0
22. Captain Falcon (F-Zero)
23. Ness (EarthBound)
24. Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch)
25. Tap Girl (Rhythm Heaven)

Tried my best to vary up the Nintendo stuff, but frankly, the best choices for characters are characters who were in Smash already.

Nanashrew

Banned
Also let's go further out there with Capcom and get Jon Talbain in there, Saki, Nina (BoF), Protoman (or Gutsman.exe to face off against Bowser), Captain Commando.

I'd like to see Capcom's side go more out there like the Nintendo side with character types.

Also let's go further out there with Capcom and get Jon Talbain in there, Saki, Nina (BoF), Protoman (or Gutsman.exe to face off against Bowser), Captain Commando.

I'd like to see Capcom's side go more out there like the Nintendo side with character types.

Already got Proto Man and Nina in mine. :V

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Nintendo side should get some obscure characters.
Waluigi, Dillon, Isaac, Wonder-Red (if Viewtiful Joe is in...)

I feel like Nintendo vs Capcom should be the spritual sequel to Marvel vs Capcom 3's engine.

Basically, a 3 on 3 fighter.

Give it the same fanservice Marvel got, some perfect netcode, and watch it become the highlight of EVO 2016.

Mesoian

I feel like Nintendo vs Capcom should be the spritual sequel to Marvel vs Capcom 3's engine.

Give it the same fanservice Marvel got, some perfect netcode, and watch it become the highlight of EVO 2016.

Please.

2017 if they started TODAY.

TreIII

In my ideal world, I would prefer Capcom to do one of two things:

1) Make a fighting game based off of one Nintendo property and run with it. Considering Capcom's history with the Zelda brand, that's one I could see them working well with. And then they could still possibly have someone like Dante (from the Devil May Cry series!) stop by for a cameo shot, because "swords are cool, and we could have one of Capcom's most famous sword-wielder stop by to challenge Nintendo's most famous".

2) A crossover fighter between one of Capcom's brands and one of Nintendo's brands. Mario + MegaMan? Fire Emblem + Rival Schools? Zelda + DMC? Possibilities.

Not that any of this is likely anyway, but that's what I'd prefer. And I'd think Capcom would likely have better luck hollering at Ninty for the sake of one of their brands, instead of trying to ask for every one of them.

SUPARSTARX

The designs clash too much. But Capcom character designs could be pretty flexible and adaptable.

I just think too much would have to be compromised on the Capcom side to downsize to the Nintendo designs to make it plausible. Nintendo's characters are too iconic to adapt in a cross over.

I liked this idea that brought up. What if giant characters were added in? Like the ones in TvC.

And from that, we actually got Ridley as a playable character. How cool would that be?

What if, we actually get the first 3 way company fighter?

Tarsunoko vs Capcom vs Nintendo!

.....I just wanna see a sequel to TvC and how 3 way cross over would be in the genre. =[

I remember when Niitsuma expressed interest in Multi-Company crossover. Although that dream is probably dead now. ;__;

What about Skullgirls style? :p

I like the roster! Especially Zack & Wiki. For me...

Tried my best to vary up the Nintendo stuff, but frankly, the best choices for characters are characters who were in Smash already.

Thanks! I tried to play up new characters/characters that'd fit/uniqueness.

That's a big list of Mega Man characters! Also, you totally reminded me of Sissel... I forgot about that game actually. <.< Should add him to my list.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But at least they'd still be unique characters. Instead of being limited to 3 special moves.

Let's count how many Capcom titles are on Wii U.

Don't be that guy.

That's what I did with my roster. We could possibly add Cyber Blue into the mix as well! Super obscure, hah.

Oh man, how crazy would it be. *0*

The designs clash too much. But Capcom character designs could be pretty flexible and adaptable.

I just think too much would have to be compromised on the Capcom side to downsize to the Nintendo designs to make it plausible. Nintendo's characters are too iconic to adapt in a cross over.

I think Nintendo works fine. Look at Mario Strikers, or Brawl.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

What does this mean? Capcom has Mega Man, Viewtiful Joe, Tron Bonne, Arthur, and other oddly shaped cartoony characters. Smash Bros. had Snake and Ike. There is nothing that wouldn't work.

The Capcom VS engine for a Nintendo vs Capcom would be amazing by the way.

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
I'm not too familiar with Capcom games but I do enjoy MvC series(even though I suck at them, I just enjoy the characters and flashy moves ^_^) so I'll name only nintendo characters. Now assuming the game will only have the same roster size as MvC3 each side would get 19 reps. My nintendo picks would be the following:
Mario Reps
1- Mario
2- Luigi
3-Peach
4-Bowser

Wario Ware Reps
5- Wario
6- Ashley

Donkey Kong Reps
7- DK
8- Dixie
9- Cranky(cause it would be hilarious watching an old ape fight with a cane)

Pokemon Reps
10-Pikachu(personally i wouldn't pick him but realistically if this game was to exist pikachu would be in it without a doubt) but if hypothetically nintendo asked me personally who I'd go with instead I'd pick Cofagrigus
11- Kabutops or Ampharos
12-Hawlucha

Our Nintendo Joke character(who doesn't have to play shit like MvC2's joke character)
13- Captain N OR Slippy

Metroid Reps
14- Samus
15- Ridley

Zelda Reps
16- Pig Ganon
17- Link
18- Shiek

Wonderful 101 Rep
19- Wonder Red(honestly don't know jack about this series but I feel more comfortable going with wonder red than splatoon kid)

I tried to stay away from characters that already exist in smash bros with the exception of characters that will be in the game whether we like it or not(like the 4 main mario reps, link, dk, etc.) didn't want to go more than 4 reps for mario cause more than 4 when they only get 19 is a lot imo. There would be some more I include but like i said, I'm going under the assumption we'd get the same as MvC3. Also tried to spread the 3 pokemon reps so no gen gets more than 1 rep to be more interesting. Pokemon has so many character opportunities but they always go with gen 1 or that 1 really popular pokemon for whatever their latest gen is.

Azure J

Well as the guy partially responsible for this thread in the other one, all I can add to the discussion is that it'd be a damn shame if some great guys and gals on the Capcom side of things get the auto snub due to more realistic portrayals of weaponry or general "unsavory" imagery (mostly thinking of the DMC, RE and Darkstalkers characters here). I don't think Nintendo is as adverse to a lot of the non-obvious stuff as a lot of folks think, but in the case of Devil May Cry and Resident Evil characters, there's a ton to work with or even work around that would keep them true to character without creating any imagery that could be considered troublesome for characters represented in game.

Mechanically, all I'd ask for is a tag fighter (3v3 optimally) something fully (or as close to it as possible) tested to be free of "silly". Baroque and Mega Crash in TvC were cool ideas that got fucked up when someone decided Zero should get combos off the latter and extend them with the former. TACs were neat when they were one off tags with a meter requirement that allowed for characters to come in & get a three piece combo with fries that standard hitstun decay, but then Niitsuma™ happened and welp. Everyone ever has commented on X-Factor so let's not even waste time there.

I also don't want anyone to get the idea that a game like this needs to make concessions in gameplay design because "hurr Nintendo audience is kids". There's a market for a complimentary traditional fighter to stand next to the Smash Bros. series' platform fighter. Making it a 2D fighter might actually pull in an audience that typically doesn't play these titles especially with the draw of Nintendo characters in a 2D fighter.

Finally, my stupid ass roster:

Hmm, let's assume a 25/25 split of 50 characters total with characters that have made appearances on Nintendo consoles taking priority:

Capcom

Ryu (SF)
Chun (SF)
Guile (SF)
Bison (SF)
Haggar (Final Fight)
Maki (Final Fight)
Megaman X
Zero (MMZ)
Roll (Classic)
Bass.EXE (MMBN)
Tron (MML)
Nina (Breath of Fire 2)
Chris/Jill/Leon (Resident Evil)
Rathalthos/Something MonHun (if Capcom gets the MonHun team to relent on their cross over stance)
Dante (DMC popularity, but trojan horse'd in due to Project x Zone)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Hsien-Ko (as in the real one, not that MVC3 abomination)/Felicia/Q-Bee (Darkstalkers)
Jon Talbain/Donovan/Pyron (Darkstalkers)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Viewtiful Joe
Arthur (Ghosts n Ghouls)
Firebrand (Gargoyle's Crest)
Strider Hiryu
Phoenix Wright
Nathan "Rad" Spencer (Bionic Commando)

Nintendo

Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
Luigi (Super Mario Bros.)
Peach (Super Mario Bros.)
Bowser (Super Mario Bros.)
Yoshi (Yoshi's Island)
Wario (WarioLand/WarioWare)
Link (The Legend of Zelda)
Zelda (The Legend of Zelda)
Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda)
Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Samus (Metroid)
Ridley
(I think Capcom would actually play up the "too big" thing)
Fox (StarFox)
Kirby (Kirby)
Dedede (Kirby)
Pit (Kid Icarus)
Marth (Fire Emblem)
Ness (Earthbound)
Captain Falcon (F-Zero)
Little Mac (Punch Out)
Pikachu (Pokemon)
Charizard (Pokemon)
Mewtwo (Pokemon)
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)... Or Mike Jones (StarTropics)... Nah but for real:
Inklings (Splatoon)
???

We can talk roster all day, but what kind of game would you guys want it to be?

I'd want it to be like a blend between Smash and a traditional 2D fighter. Basically Street Fighter with Smash's simplified controls where every attack is a direction plus a button. Three standard attack buttons and one special attack button. Up to jump and back to block. Make it faster than Street Fighter, but nowhere NEAR as chaotic as MvC.

NvC is kind of already happening with Mega Man and Ryu (rumored) in Smash. Though I would love to see a team fighter like MvC with the likes of Link and Captain Falcon

Top Bottom