• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hypothetical: Say Nintendo Vs Capcom Becomes A Reality...

I think the exciting thing here is the idea that you're not tied to preconceptions of what the roster of a Nintendo fighting game should be, because it's not Smash. So you don't have to have Marth, Mr Game and Watch, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff etc just because it's Smash.

The companies have similar levels of variety in their legacy of characters, too, so somewhat of a match-up of equivalents might be fun to see. (Not in playstyle, of course, just in terms of similarity in design/importance/genre.)

Along those lines, I'd probably go with (for a 40-man roster):

Nintendo :: Capcom

Mario :: Ryu
Bowser :: M. Bison
Peach :: Chun Li
Donkey Kong :: Mike Haggar
Link :: Dante
Zelda :: Nina
Kirby :: Mega Man
Samus :: Rad Spencer
Pikachu :: Palico
Fox McCloud :: Amaterasu
Captain Falcon :: Captain Commando
Captain Rainbow :: Viewtiful Joe
Takamaru :: Strider Hiryu
Ayumi Tachibana :: Phoenix Wright
Anna (Fire Emblem) :: Merchant (Resident Evil 4)
Ness :: Zack & Wiki
Ultimate Ghost :: Sissel
Inkling :: B.B. Hood
Shulk :: The Brave One
Doshin the Giant :: PTX-40a

Final boss of Arcade Mode is Ra Moon.

Neoxon

I think the exciting thing here is the idea that you're not tied to preconceptions of what the roster of a Nintendo fighting game should be, because it's not Smash. So you don't have to have Marth, Mr Game and Watch, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff etc just because it's Smash.

The companies have similar levels of variety in their legacy of characters, too, so somewhat of a match-up of equivalents might be fun to see. (Not in playstyle, of course, just in terms of similarity in design/importance/genre.)

I'd replace Captain Rainbow with Wonder Red. Wonder Red's game saw a global release (unlike Captain Rainbow) & he's a much better fit to rival Viewtiful Joe (both made by Kamiya). It's too good of a match-up to pass up.

I also don't think we'll get any Pokémon in NvC if it happens given how stingy TPC is about non-Smash crossovers.

shaowebb

All I know is that assists would be off the chain. Summon a metroid helper or suddenly see Master Robots fly by? Oh lordy yes.

I'd replace Captain Rainbow with Wonder Red. Wonder Red's game saw a global release (unlike Captain Rainbow) & he's a much better fit to rival Viewtiful Joe (both made by Kamiya). It's too good of a match-up to pass up.

I also don't think we'll get any Pokémon in NvC if it happens given how stingy TPC is about non-Smash crossovers.

Damn, I forgot about TW101, you're right, that's much better.
Don't blame, I didn't play it.
no-one did

I'd replace Pikachu :: Palico with Ray Mk.2 :: Zero, if you think Pokemon representation would be unlikely, but it's a dream roster so fuck it. :V

Damn, I forgot about TW101, you're right, that's much better.
Don't blame, I didn't play it.
no-one did

I'd replace Pikachu :: Palico with Ray Mk.2 :: Zero, if you think Pokemon representation would be unlikely, but it's a dream roster so fuck it. :V
Unlikely? I imagine Nintendo would be pushing them heavily.

I mean, sure, they already have their own fully-fledged fighting game with Pokken, but still

Neoxon

Unlikely? I imagine Nintendo would be pushing them heavily.

I mean, sure, they already have their own fully-fledged fighting game with Pokken, but still
The Pokémon Company still has to sign off on it since Nintendo doesn't fully own Pokémon. Like I said before, this is why Pikachu's Amiibo doesn't work in Mario Kart 8 & why there was zero Pokémon representation in Nintendo Land. Sakurai even has to work closely with TPC on which Pokémon to add to Smash (though obviously TPC respects seniority, hence why Jigglypuff stuck around).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wouldn't want the Roster to be entirely diverse from Smash, but I'd leave out a lot of the cute mascot characters like Pikachu (who I doubt would be in anyway), Kirby, and, honestly, I'd omit Mario and Ryu for once. That'd be neat.

Here's a quick 20-character roster I churned up for the base Vanilla version...I tried to go with a mix of Smash and non-Smash characters from Nintendo, going with dudes who I think would fit better in a more traditional fighter, and from Capcom, going with characters who have presence on Nintendo systems. I limited one character per series, and I tried to pair the characters off picking characters who share similarities somewhat, or would be cool to see a rival fight...

1. Link vs. Megaman.exe: Swordsmen with multiple projectiles
2. Samus vs. Vanessa Schneider (P.N.03): Femme Fatals with Cyber Suits
3. Pit vs. Nina (BoF): Winged Angel Fighters
4. Wonder Red vs. Viewtiful Joe: Henshin Heroes
5. Ray Mk. II vs. G-Red (Gotcha Force): Toy Robots
6. Captain Falcon vs. Chun Li: Bounty Hunters with Martial Arts
7. Donkey Kong vs. Congala (MonHun): Giant Gorillas
8. Star Man (Pro Wrestling) vs. The Scorpion (Saturday Night Slam Masters): Masked Wrestlers
9. Donbe + Hikari vs. Zach + Wiki: Cute Tag Team
10. Bowser vs. Astaroth (GaG): Main Villains

Hot Coldman said:
Ultimate Ghost :: Sissel

I got one better for ya...Sam Raimi, the protagonist of the Gamecube game "Geist". Possesses characters just like Sissel does. But I wonder if Nintendo would reference an obscure M-rated character...

I didn't see your post before I made mine, but you pretty much have the same idea I had. I'd love to see them go that route.

Neoxon

I wouldn't want the Roster to be entirely diverse from Smash, but I'd leave out a lot of the cute mascot characters like Pikachu (who I doubt would be in anyway), Kirby, and, honestly, I'd omit Mario and Ryu for once. That'd be neat.

Here's a quick 20-character roster I churned up for the base Vanilla version...I tried to go with a mix of Smash and non-Smash characters from Nintendo, going with dudes who I think would fit better in a more traditional fighter, and from Capcom, going with characters who have presence on Nintendo systems. I limited one character per series, and I tried to pair the characters off picking characters who share similarities somewhat, or would be cool to see a rival fight...

1. Link vs. Megaman.exe: Swordsmen with multiple projectiles
2. Samus vs. Vanessa Schneider (P.N.03): Femme Fatals with Cyber Suits
3. Pit vs. Nina (BoF): Winged Angel Fighters
4. Wonder Red vs. Viewtiful Joe: Henshin Heroes
5. Ray Mk. II vs. G-Red (Gotcha Force): Toy Robots
6. Captain Falcon vs. Chun Li: Bounty Hunters with Martial Arts
7. Donkey Kong vs. Congala (MonHun): Giant Gorillas
8. Star Man (Pro Wrestling) vs. The Scorpion (Saturday Night Slam Masters): Masked Wrestlers
9. Donbe + Hikari vs. Zach + Wiki: Cute Tag Team
10. Bowser vs. Astaroth (GaG): Main Villains

I got one better for ya...Sam Raimi, the protagonist of the Gamecube game "Geist". Possesses characters just like Sissel does. But I wonder if Nintendo would reference an obscure M-rated character...

I didn't see your post before I made mine, but you pretty much have the same idea I had. I'd love to see them go that route.
There'd be riots in the streets if Mario & Ryu were left out.

Good list! Donde & Hikari are a much better fit for a Zack & Wiki rival. Ideally I'd have Banjo and Kazooie but that's not the timeline we were given. And having Starman is too cool.

I don't see why having the dude from Geist would be a problem, especially if the game already has Resi characters. I just think Geist is lame. :p

Watch Da Birdie

I shy'd away from M-rated characters. And I only used characters who appeared on a Nintendo system (an actual game, not including cameos like Dante in Project X Zone) so most of the Resident Evil characters were out. It really limited the choices since a whole batch of Capcom's Arcade roster was out.

PSqueak

Banned
I shy'd away from M-rated characters. And I only used characters who appeared on a Nintendo system (an actual game, not including cameos like Dante in Project X Zone) so most of the Resident Evil characters were out. It really limited the choices since a whole batch of Capcom's Arcade roster was out.

The most iconic RE characters have been in nintendo consoles, multiple times.

Neoxon

Resident Evil 4 was one of the biggest games on the GameCube, so leaving out Leon would be very questionable. Revelations 1 is also a major third-party 3DS game, so that justifies Jill. Plus Dante & Vergil are extremely popular characters overall, so you honestly couldn't go without either of the Super Sparda Bros.

My prediction on Nintendo vs. Capcom is that the game will debut on 3DS with a HD port to Wii U simultaneously or two months later. There will only be one tag partner like Tatsunoko and the original MvC and tagging is exclusive to New 3DS/Wii U.

There will only be 20 characters total. Mario won't appear and instead Link and Samus will be the first two revealed along with Ryu and Chun-Li/Morrigan. Expect characters more proportion for vs. Style.

Nintendo characters for the first outing would not include Kirby but others would be Captain Falcon and Luciana instead of Marth. I feel Wonder Red will show up to go against Viewtiful Joe.

At the end of the trailer the tease will be the silhouette of a Mega Man helmet revealing Mega Man. Than a silhouette of a Mario hat revealing... Waluigi going "It's Waluigi Time". Book it.

I'm probably wrong.

Zubz

Banned
I paired up every single character so that my roster wouldn’t be too lopsided as I wrote it, and also to ensure that I still used a lot of fucking weird characters. I mostly stuck with other people’s assumptions of no guns, no pokemon, no monster hunter. I really focused on characters that don’t get enough love. Yeah there’s no Link or Ryu, but they’re doing just fine right now.

I like it! I had a pairing system initially, too, until I realize that my list got too big. Heck, I even had Mario :: Mega Man and Pit :: Arthur, too! In fact, Link & Ryu were paired in mine, too. I'll admit, though, N :: Wesker and Peach :: Morrigan were a bit of a stretch.

I wouldn't mind seeing this happen but I don't see Nintendo using a bunch of their characters in a fighting game other than Smash Bros. Also with Capcom working closely with Sony lately I say it would be more likely that we would see a PlayStation Vs Capcom game especially since PSASBR bombed where as Smash Bros is a huge seller.

SykoTech

*I didn't include characters of DMC/RE due to having guns

...yeah, I'd rather not have it happen if it means neutering Capcom so they can't include some of their best characters.

Another Marvel game would be preferable. Or a PlayStation one. Or better yet, just make a Capcom All-Star game already. I still don't know why they haven't, as they clearly don't need another company's characters to carry them given their portfolio.

Neoxon

...yeah, I'd rather not have it happen if it means neutering Capcom so they can't include some of their best characters.

Another Marvel game would be preferable. Or a PlayStation one. Or better yet, just make a Capcom All-Star game already. I still don't know why they haven't, as they clearly don't need another company's characters to carry them given their portfolio.
  • While Marvel would be down for MvC4, Capcom can't afford the cost needed to get the license back right now.
  • Not too many big names in Sony's stable.
  • Let's be honest, while Capcom All-Stars would be awesome, it wouldn't sell.

Zubz

Banned
I'd hope this game would give offbeat Nintendo characters like Waluigi, Daisy, Impa, Ridley and Samurai Goroh their time to shine.

... I keep kicking myself for forgetting to vote Samurai Goroh in the Ballot. Even if my one vote for him probably means less than the many, many votes for Goku. I mean, at least that might give Ryu an orange gi alt.

Azure J

Your list and leroyd's are inspiring me to redo mine:

Nintendo :: Capcom
  • Mario (Super Mario Bros.) :: Ryu (Street Fighter) - The Main Event!!
  • Luigi (Super Mario Bros.) :: Ken (Street Fighter)- The B-Side Brawlers! or Luigi :: Guile (Street Fighter) - Lean, Mean, Green Machines
  • Peach (Super Mario Bros.) :: Chun-Li (Street Fighter) - Confrontation of Crown and Cuffs
  • Bowser (Super Mario Bros.) :: M. Bison (Street Fighter) - Totalitarian Turmoil
  • Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country) :: Mike Haggar (Final Fight) - The Urban Jungle Struggle!
  • Link (Legend of Zelda) :: Zero (Mega Man Zero) - Legends of Flesh and Steel!
  • Zelda (Legend of Zelda) :: Nina (Breath of Fire 2) - Royal Rumble?!
  • Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda) :: Bass.EXE (Mega Man Battle Network) - Nothing But Power!
  • Pikachu (Pokemon) :: Kyosuke Kagami (Rival Schools) - An Electrifying Encounter!
  • Kirby (Kirby) :: Arthur (Ghosts 'n Ghouls) - Little Heroes That Could!
  • Samus (Metroid) :: X (Mega Man X) - Hunters For Hire!
  • Pit (Kid Icarus) :: Dante (Devil May Cry) - A Divine Comedy..?!
  • Marth (Fire Emblem) :: Morrigan (Darkstalkers) - Nobility of Light & Shadow
  • Fox (StarFox) :: Ruby Heart - Interstellar Showdown
  • Captain Falcon (F-Zero) :: Rouge (Power Stone) - Flaming Fisticuffs!
  • Shulk (Xenoblade) :: Amaterasu (Okami) - To Challenge The Gods...
  • Little Mac (Punch-Out!!) :: Tiffany Lords (Rival Schools) - Good Kids, D.U.F.F. City
  • Inklings (Splatoon) :: B.B. Hood (Darkstalkers) - Teenage Throwdown
  • Andy/Sami (Advance Wars) :: Jill/Leon (Resident Evil) - Orange S.T.A.R.S Onslaught!
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle):: Strider Hiryu (Strider) - Rivalry of Future Past?!
  • Lucas & Boney (Earthbound/MOTHER 3) :: Zack & Wiki (Zack & Wiki) - Boys & Company
  • Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) :: Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe) - The Viewtiful 101 Combination!
  • Lip (Panel de Pon/Nintendo Puzzle League) :: Tessa (Red Earth) - Misguided Magical Mayhem!
  • Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club) :: Phoenix Wright (Phoenix Wright) - Law & Order?!
  • Saki Amamiya/Isa Jo + Katchi (Sin & Punishment) :: Captain Commando (Captain Commando) - Crime & Punishment

It took me longer than I care to admit to come up with those flavor texts. :lol

Also I will fight every fucker in here that aims to keep my Dante out. *folds arms, draws line in sand*

Toad.T

Banned
Made an old roster a while back, will probably make a new post with new additions/subtractions later on:

Old Me said:
Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Daisy (Unlockable)
-Basically the Street Fighter for the Nintendoverse as it leaches into other series through various degrees of connection.
DK: DK, Diddy, K.Rool, Cranky (Unlockable)
-The Final Fight (somewhat) to Mario's Street Fighter.
Wario: Wario, Waluigi, Mona, Syrup (Unlockable)
-Darkstalkers to Mario's SF.
LOZ: Link, Zelda, Gannondorf, Tetra, Demise, Vatii.(Unlockable)
-2nd biggest/most recognized series. Comparable to Megaman.
Kirby: Kirby, DDD, Meta Knight, Knuckle Joe (Unlockable)
-Big in certain places, but not in others, like MonHun.
Pokémon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokémon Trainer (1-3rd gen moveset), Pokémon Breeder (4-6th gen moveset), Team Rocket grunt (Utilizes traps and such for a moveset, unlockable), Mewtwo, Lucario.
-Constant popularity world-wide, much like RE/BioHaz.
Mother: Ness, Kumotora, Teddy, Porky (Unlockable)
-Cult following of diehard fans, comparable to Clover/Platinum's series.
Classic Nintendo Misc: Samus, Captain Falcon, Marth, Mike Jones (Unlockable)
-Not major, but still has their fanbases.
Modern Nintendo Misc: Fox, Shulk, Jill (Unlockable), Wonder-Red
-Characters that need a second chance at fame.

Bonus: Nester (Nintendo Power/Nester's Funky Bowling star)

Capcom:
SF: Ryu, Chun-Li, M.Bison, Sakura, Ibuki, Alex, Dan (Unlockable)
-This series has connections to the following three series.
FinalFight: Haggar, Guy, Cody, Lucinda (Unlockable)
-Appears often in SF, much like how DK appears often in Mario.
DarkStalkers: Morrigan, Lord Raptor, B.B Hood, Sasquatch (Unlockable)
-Sister series, much like Wario and Mario.
Rival Schools: Batsu, Shoma, Tiffany, Yurika. (Unlockable)
-Imagine if Mario's Daisy got her own series. This is the level of connectivity with SF.
Power Stone: Falcon, Rouge, Jack, Kraken. (Unlockable)
-Much like how Ninty has a Platformer series not related to Mazza, Capcom has a fighting game series not related to SF. Treat it like the Kirby series.
Megaman: Rock classic, Zero (X style with Zero series style Costume alt), Tron Bonne, Ashe, Harp Note, Protoman, Bass (Unlockable)
-Tried to be even throughout the multiple series. Rock, Proto and Bass all have exe costumes as well.
RE: Leon, Jill, Ada, Chris.
-I know nothing about this series (Insert Boos and Hisses now.), so not many surprises here.
Clover Studios: Viewtiful Joe, Ameritasu, Gene, Silvia. (Unlockable)
-Obviously I could only pull from their time as Clover, so not much variety, I'm afraid.
Classic Capcom misc: Arthur, Captain Commando, Devilotte, Sonson (Unlockable)
-Mostly arcade, as I've already covered the main series.
Modern Capcom Misc: Phoenix, Dante, Frank West, Felyne (Unlockable)
-Swap out one of these with someone from Sengoku Basara or some such, if you wish.

Bonus: Tomchin (MVC cut character based on designer.)
Mvc_tomichin.png

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What's the talk about the no gun rule? Did Nintendo say they dont want gun in their game, or is it just gamers' assumption?

I wonder how well my list themes, haha.

1. Mega Man / Mario - The Stars
2. Roll / Peach - The Girls (lol sry)
3. Dr. Wily / Bowser - The Villains
4. Tron Bonne / Jill - The Mech Riders
6. X / Shulk - The Mode-Switchers
8. Ryu / Link - The Serious Heroes
9. Chun-Li / Samus - The Tough Girls
10. M. Bison / Ganondorf - The Big Bads
11. Arthur / Marth - The Noble Warriors
12. Firebrand / Ridley - The Flying Monsters
13. Amaterasu / Yoshi - The Cute Animals
14. Viewtiful Joe / Wonder-Red - The Obvious Ones
15. Sexy Sylvia / Fox - The Shooters
16. Ryu / IF Avatar - The Half-Dragons
17. Nina / Zelda - The Princesses
18. Phoenix Wright / Pit - The Earnest Ones
20. Dick Gumshoe / Luigi - The Comic Relief
21. SonSon / Mr. Game & Watch - The Classics
23. Zack & Wiki / Wario - The Treasure Hunters
25. Missile / Kirby - The Cute Ones!
27. Natsu Ayuhara / Little Mac - The Punchers lol

After that I simply couldn't come up with anything for the remainder, even though I was really stretching the above, haha.

Rouge
Franziska von Karma
Jill Valentine
Strider Hiryu
Proto Man
Morrigan Aensland

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Captain Falcon
Ness
Tap Girl

Azure J

I have a feeling they'd be fine in a game that fights like the Versus series.

I feel like RE's history with Nintendo guarantees at least one figure from there. Meanwhile Dante's the most Nintendo-like M rated game character protag ever, too much personality and every other weapon he uses is fantastical as fuck. Ebony & Ivory are the only real problems and even then, there's creative ways around that.

Evilisk

I think it did, but my copy of UMvC3 is back home so I can't check. I had a pocket Frank West in Mahvel & I do recall the camera doing an OTG before I go for a Hyper.

It does OTG. He'd be even worse than TVC Frank if he didn't have that lol

Accuracy still doesn't do anything for me though. I basically just dislike "well adapted" characters like Phoenix Wright, Arthur, Frank West etc. because the novelty of them being "accurate" wears off really quickly and they just always end up being boringly gimmicky characters. Just my opinion on the matter

Neoxon

It does OTG. He'd be even worse than TVC Frank if he didn't have that lol

Accuracy still doesn't do anything for me though. I basically just dislike "well adapted" characters like Phoenix Wright, Arthur, Frank West etc. because the novelty of them being "accurate" wears off really quickly and they just always end up being boringly gimmicky characters. Just my opinion on the matter
Frank wasn't really gimmicky at all, he's annually one of the better characters in the game.

Watch Da Birdie

I was thinking about Stages, do you think something like PSAB did (mix-mash stages) between Nintendo and Capcom would work?

Like imagine Hyrule Castle overrun by the Ghosts and Goblins, or the Monster Hunter monsters breaking into the Fossil Fighter's Fossil Park.

I was thinking about Stages, do you think something like PSAB did (mix-mash stages) between Nintendo and Capcom would work?

Like imagine Hyrule Castle overrun by the Ghosts and Goblins, or the Monster Hunter monsters breaking into the Fossil Fighter's Fossil Park.

I kind of want a return to MvC2's nonsense backgrounds

bring back the circus

Mizerman

I feel like RE's history with Nintendo guarantees at least one figure from there. Meanwhile Dante's the most Nintendo-like M rated game character protag ever, too much personality and every other weapon he uses is fantastical as fuck. Ebony & Ivory are the only real problems and even then, there's creative ways around that.

Plus, Dante has an assload of magical weaponry that's not related to guns. They could explain that he simply unleashes demonic energy out of Ebony and Ivory rather than bullets.

Hell, they could put in Vergil and the man himself doesn't even like guns in the first place.

-Horizon-

I'd be down with that. I actually liked some of the craziness all stars had in the background.

Mizerman

I wouldn't mind that at all.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i don't think super smash brothers is a deep fighting game.
i know street fighter is.

(no evo does not mean anything to me)

but why not? it's not the first time they made characters easier and different in cross overs.

all the power to nintendo :)

Watch Da Birdie

I'm still miffed Project X Zone 2 didn't take the plunge and throw Nintendo characters (going with the obscurer, Japanese ones like the other companies did) into the sequel.

I'm really not interested in another game with a random mishmash of characters. Mario and Ryu are just too different from each other for me to take a game with both of them seriously. Nintendo does have some cool realistic characters, and Capcom does have some goofy cartoonish characters, but there isn't enough that match up for me to care.

Top Bottom