• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hyrule Warriors Legends] Linkle is insultingly stupid

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Naivity in the way she is depicted is not exactly a typical male stereotype. And no I am not looking for something to be offended with, in fact, other than the waifu shit in Fire Emblem this is the first time I have been offended with Nintendo's stuff. Hero rescuing the pretty girl in order to keep the story short & simple? Fine by me. Samus Aran in Metroid Other M? Not exactly flattering maybe, but overall fine (the game itself is shit though). But Linkle? I cringed my way through her campaign.

No, certainly not what I am saying. I don't know who Zoro is, but from what I have experienced with One Piece, I wouldn't exactly put that on a pedestral for good writing.

I wouldn't put Hyrule Warriors in a pedestal for good writing either. Again, this is an anime thing. The most famous character for this trope is Ryoga from Ranma 1/2, who's male.

e;f,b

It's not just that, look at the sequence, no one would depict a male not knowing where to go like this. Well, normally I wouldn't expect it for a female either, but well, here it is.

maxresdefault.jpg

Lool
tumblr_inline_no8kd4STzB1tpzw20_1280.png

zoro.jpg

4cd0c73f07f49d4b533ed5536fefaeb85fd32b6c_hq.gif

bnc0vJU.jpg

I just wanted to post more Zoro getting lost

Neiteio

I'm a reporter who drives all over the place — murder trials, political rallies, etc — but I couldn't navigate my way out of a paper bag. Thank god for GPS.

Makes Linkle relatable. That and the love of boots.

There's a Geico commercial running right now where Tarzan is lost and won't let Jane ask for directions.

For whatever reason out of everything posted in this topic so far, this is what made me burst out laughing

yeah

sorry dude, hate to keep piling on but your reaction is probably way more toxic to combating sexism than anything you may have perceived

Sorry friend, that's just a normal Japanese trope.

Both male and female characters do that whole getting lost/ no sense of direction thing all the time in Japanese media.

"I was insulted by Linkle's writing"

You are playing a Zelda game (not very high narrative standards) that was done by the Dynasty Warriors (even lower standards) team. It's a tiny sidestory that was specifically made for an enhanced port. What did you expect ?

It's supposed to be a funny trope, see Agnes Oblige in Bravely Default. I don't see anything wrong with it, I like her.

Linkle is a very trope ridden character but in context of the Zelda Series, she is everything the regular Link we tend to play is not in the context of "heroism".

PtM

Banned
I think she's meant to be a sort of parody to Link. Female instead of male, goofy and outgoing instead of quiet and serious.
Self-declared hero instead of chosen hero. And a loony one at that.

OP, this was all known since her reveal, your thread is months late.

Mesoian

The dialogue surrounding Hyrule Warriors has always been hilarious to me. Early on people were all proud of Nintendo for including so many female characters in the cast, but then that turned into people calling it some kind of Link's Harem Fantasy. Then the Linkle concept art was shown and that started off the whole WE NEED A FEMALE LINK movement that infects nearly every Zelda thread now, and now here we are with "Linkle is fucking stupid and this is awful."

neogaf.gif

At least she's a freaking force of nature on the actual battlefield.

I know why they didn't, but I really did want HW on WiiU to have some stronger, more archetypal writing since it's just a giant dream match. The fact that Cia is essentially a girl who's trying WAY WAY WAY too hard to get a date with the guy she likes and her sister is essentially a bubblily antithesis of Zelda could have been so great if they played it up. But in the end, they're just different versions of aesthetic cuteness because no one cares about story in a musou game.

Astral Dog

What i dont get is the posts saying that Link is humble, a big part of his character arc (he) in HW is that he becomes an arrogant dick then gets in trouble before and after getting the Master Sword

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's not a woman thing that's an anime thing. The fool that thinks they know where they're going. It's a trope. (Warning: TV Tropes link.)
In a story heavy game like Hyrule Warriors, having a five-episode story just about one trope is a bit much. Especially if that trope is boring and the execution is annoyingly bad.

Representation is having people of all ethnicity and genders displayed in any form, so long as it's no bigoted.

A female character does not inherently have to be "good" or without flaws. It's ass-backwards thinking to be insulted when the character does not invoke any offensive stereotypes for laughs. You're free to not like the character, but she is--by definition--an inclusive character. Getting offended is hilariously dumb. Also she does freaking gun-kata.
Yes, she is capable of using her weapons (as long as you are capable of mashing B). It's not a form of inclusion I would celebrate all too much though.

Most male heroes in manga are as dumb as bricks. If you have heroes that are too perfect in every way it's like some crappy fan fiction. Nobody likes it because it feels phoney.
I'm not a gigantic anime fan, but there are quite a few I enjoyed, most notably Death Note, which is actually among my favourite stories whatsoever. But imperfect character does not mean "dumbness as the one defining character trait". Linkle does not have flaws, she has some exceptions to being a flaw.

Do you watch anime? It's a trope that quite a bit of both male and female characters have.
I watch some anime, but this trope did not play any role in any of the ones I enjoyed.

JoeInky

I am shocked and appalled, you should go to the local news with this stuff, people need to be made aware of what's going on.

kewlmyc

As many have pointed out, it's a common anime trope. I don't think they were trying to be offensive or sexist by giving it to her.

Nightbird

Came for the non-existent insult, stayed for the Zorro pictures.

There's nothing insulting about that character traits, in fact with that alone she's gained more personality than Link ever did in the games.

rhandino

Banned
It's not just that, look at the sequence, no one would depict a male not knowing where to go like this.Well, normally I wouldn't expect it for a female either, but well, here it is.
LOL, I just watched The Picnic in The Incredible World of Gumball in which the male character got lost at EVERY single opportunity presented at him and wackiness ensue.

Then you have Zoro from One Piece, Ryoga from Ranma, Kenpachi from Bleach, Free from Soul Eater, Gumball from TAWoG, etc...

If she was perfect you can be sure someone here would be making a thread calling her a wish fulfillment Mary Sue.

I guess the major problem with female characters is that people will just judge them negatively a lot faster for a whole range of reasons.

People don't say that male heroes are terrible because their bodies are too male, or because they are too dumb or too smart. People don't just forget that they exist because they look look too plain or don't have some dumb gimmick. Female heroes have to have some goldilocks level of intelligence and exceptional super model level beauty that is moderated by them dressing down in absolutely perfect grungy chic clothes.

She sounds (from the video you linked) like a stereotypical dumb blonde. Disappointing.

japan has a dumb blonde trope?

In a story heavy game like Hyrule Warriors, having a five-episode story just about one trope is a bit much. Especially if that trope is boring and the execution is annoyingly bad.

a musou game where a character trope is driven through the ground is practically a staple of the series...

MAH BENEVOLENCE DOE...

Jamie OD

It's not just that, look at the sequence, no one would depict a male not knowing where to go like this. Well, normally I wouldn't expect it for a female either, but well, here it is.

Have you seen any family vacation comedy movie made in the last 40 years?

Mesoian

Hyrule Warriors is not story heavy. Come on man. Just because there's a single player campaign does not mean that the story is dense or good. It's not. It's a dream match that makes very little sense.

I don't know why in the world you would come into this expecting the story to be good.

I'm not a gigantic anime fan, but there are quite a few I enjoyed, most notably Death Note, which is actually among my favourite stories whatsoever. But imperfect character does not mean "dumbness as the one defining character trait". Linkle does not have flaws, she has some exceptions to being a flaw.

I watch some anime, but this trope did not play any role in any of the ones I enjoyed.

Funny that you complain about Linkle being portrayed as dumb, then, considering Misa...

The second bolded part, I dunno what the hell you're getting at.

-Horizon-

I guess the major problem with female characters is that people will just judge them negatively a lot faster for a whole range of reasons.

People don't say that male heroes are terrible because their bodies are too male, or because they are too dumb or too smart. People don't just forget that they exist because they look look too plain or don't have some dumb gimmick. Female heroes have to have some goldilocks level of intelligence and exceptional super model level beauty that is moderated by them dressing down in absolutely perfect grungy chic clothes.
Hey! Nothing wrong with shopping at your local Hot Topic.

;3 but yeah you're not wrong

Meia

Yep! Super common thing in fiction in general, usually a male trait, and Zoro has it in spades.

Hell, most of the male cast of One Piece is like this. This part of the above link highlights it perfectly: The males go off elsewhere, only Robin goes in the correct direction. I mean, shit, in the arc where all the islands have big NUMBERS on them that go in order, Zoro *still* managed to get lost.

I hear you. I think a bit problem is that until the last 5-10 years males have always been the 'default' character, so you never really needed to read into the motivations of the designers and you could just accept them at face value

Now it feels like every non-white male is some deliberate choice and we need to analyze and re-analyze it. You then either you hate it because you think it's paints a negative picture, or you hate it because you feel it's some sort of weird virtual affirmative action

It sucks but I think this is normal for a transition time in an industry. As we get used to it the reactions will die down

Top Bottom