• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends |OT| Linkle, Linkle, Little Star.

Kinsei

Banned
I beat the last Great Sea level to unlock the Master Quest map. Still got a lot of Skulltulas and heart pieces to get. The end of the game seems impossible to reach.

Also recently discovered Volga and he seems broken. C2 kills everything except Great Bosses.

His C3 is great for giant bosses and both his C4 and C5 are great for taking over keeps. Volga is one of the most overpowered characters in the game.

So, my Wii U copy of this stopped working and I've been wondering if I should replace it or get the 3DS version. However, I have a regular XL, but Samurai Warriors Chronicles runs just fine for me on it. Does Hyrule Warriors Legends perform at about the same level as Samurai Warriors Chronicles?

Also, does it have character switching like SW does?

TheMoon

So, my Wii U copy of this stopped working and I've been wondering if I should replace it or get the 3DS version. However, I have a regular XL, but Samurai Warriors Chronicles runs just fine for me on it. Does Hyrule Warriors Legends perform at about the same level as Samurai Warriors Chronicles?

Also, does it have character switching like SW does?

That is precisely the thing they added for Legends, as you can read in the OP. Which you should also read about your performance question.

OmegaFax

Does Ravio take off his mask or is his identity kept a secret in this game?

It's kept secret. He doesn't even have a face under there.

I asked someone about this. There's nothing under there.

3ff30ea39a.png

Bonus: Is there an 8-bit Great Fairy weapon anywhere in the 3DS or Wii U version of the game?

Legends doesn't have 3D for the OG 3DS/XL, and framerate also isn't great. I'd watch some comparison videos on Youtube before buying it.

I'm somewhat tempted to get the Wii U version again just to play the game at 720p.

Tizoc

So this game is on sale for under GBP 20 online, as a fan of Musou but one who hasn't yet played an LoZ game (shut up I'm working my way towards them), is it worth getting for the gameplay at least? I got a New 3DS and I've read that the game runs well on that model.

Kinsei

Banned
So this game is on sale for under GBP 20 online, as a fan of Musou but one who hasn't yet played an LoZ game (shut up I'm working my way towards them), is it worth getting for the gameplay at least? I got a New 3DS and I've read that the game runs well on that model.

The gameplay is great. I think someone that likes Musou but hasn't played/doesn't like Zelda would really enjoy the game.

Tizoc

The gameplay is great. I think someone that likes Musou but hasn't played/doesn't like Zelda would really enjoy the game.

Thanks for the info.
I'm waiting for the 2nd of December as that's when Mario Maker 3ds releases so I want to get it along with Hyrule Musou 3DS.

13ruce

Banned

Yes you will like it for sure it also has like 100s of hours of content so don't worry about that. And when you do get to the main series you will enjoy how Hyrule Warriors references nearly everything.

Also the story is pretty decent for a spinoff and the gameplay is AMAZING, still salty Nintendo considers this non canon when bad spinoffs like Triforce Heroes are.

I normally hate Musou games but i love this i was having doubts when watching some footage etc but when i took the plunge and played it i was hooked. (guess because of the unique Zelda features added to it to make it slightly different from other Musou games)

And for that price it's a steal you can easily get 100-200 hours out of it or even more if you are a super completionist.

Pretty sure you wil enjoy this.

NeonZ

The one thing that seems to annoy players coming from other musou games is the weak point system. Both generic and unique officers in this game have much higher defense and abilities that ignore player attacks compared to officers in other musou titles, but after they use specific attacks, there's a weakness gauge that pops up for a while, and if you hit them enough to deplete that gauge, it triggers a special attack that causes much more damage.

The advantage of this system is that it makes facing each enemy officer feel much more unique gameplay-wise, since their attack patterns actually matter, but it also means that holding large combos isn't possible - or, even when possible, not that useful. I think it's overall an improvement, but I've seen players who come from other musou games who dislike that element.

Sober

The one thing that seems to annoy players coming from other musou games is the weak point system. Both generic and unique officers in this game have much higher defense and abilities that ignore player attacks compared to officers in other musou titles, but after they use specific attacks, there's a weakness gauge that pops up for a while, and if you hit them enough to deplete that gauge, it triggers a special attack that causes much more damage.

The advantage of this system is that it makes facing each enemy officer feel much more unique gameplay-wise, since their attack patterns actually matter, but it also means that holding large combos isn't possible - or, even when possible, not that useful. I think it's overall an improvement, but I've seen players who come from other musou games who dislike that element.
The only crappy thing is you have to learn which moves to use that drain mega boss weak point meters the fastest generally through trial and error. And timing them right to get the most out of them. But at that point you're really going hard into the game if you're gonna be doing something like (for example) killing Dodongo in less than 2 mins with Shiek's water weapon.

I don't think the mechanic is obtuse as it seems once you figure it out. It does fit the Zelda theme since you are basically playing against like huge telegraphed attacks like most Zelda boss fights can be sometimes.

derFeef

It's fantastic. I learned to love Musou games because of this - I now palyed several games across several platforms, but this may still be my favourite as of yet.

derFeef

Hey sorry for the double post, but I am having massive problems with the mission where you have to kill that dragon, Argorok. Shadow King. My base is getting hammered and I have to defeat that other guy as well, I just can't beat the dragon in time, it's a bit frustrating. I have tried for at least 4 times now. Youtube is not helping as I am not seeing what I am doing wrong... :-/

Giolon

Hey sorry for the double post, but I am having massive problems with the mission where you have to kill that dragon, Argorok. Shadow King. My base is getting hammered and I have to defeat that other guy as well, I just can't beat the dragon in time, it's a bit frustrating. I have tried for at least 4 times now. Youtube is not helping as I am not seeing what I am doing wrong... :-/

Which mission is it exactly? I can look into it when I get home in about 30 minutes.

The things that affect your performance the most is your level and your weapon quality.

So, you can try leveling up in Free or Adventure Mode and/or obtaining better weapons. Also, make sure to use a weapon who's damage type is recommended by the mission (Light, Fire, etc.)

NeonZ

Is it true that Linkle and Windwaker Link's campaign is exclusive to HW Legends? Or have they made that DLC for the wiiu version?

That's correct. The new story stages, Adventure maps and enemies added by Legends haven't been added to the original game, even as DLC.

Is it true that Linkle and Windwaker Link's campaign is exclusive to HW Legends? Or have they made that DLC for the wiiu version?

The campaigns and new features are only available on the 3DS version. They made all the new characters from Legends available on the Wii U version as DLC though.

notaskwid

I played this the other day and it must be one of the ugliest games I've played in thr last 10 years. I like Musou games too, but I don't think I can look past how everything looks, even if it does seem to play well (n3ds xl). And here I was thinking the Vita musou looked kinda bad, hopefully Koei will bring new Musou to NX too, I like to play them on the go.

Phil Fish

Banned
The campaign missions are only on 3DS. The Wii U has the characters themselves available for download.

The campaigns and new features are only available on the 3DS version. They made all the new characters from Legends available on the Wii U version as DLC though.

That's correct. The new story stages, Adventure maps and enemies added by Legends haven't been added to the original game, even as DLC.

That sucks. Hopefully it becomes DLC down the road, I really don't want to switch to the 3DS version.

Kinsei

Banned
That sucks. Hopefully it becomes DLC down the road, I really don't want to switch to the 3DS version.

I don;'t think they'll ever come to the Wii U version as some of them make heavy use of 3DS exclusive features such as character switching and the new items. If we ever get these levels in HD it will be through a possible Switch version of the game.

Razmos

I finally got a New 3DS and tried this after playing it on my normal 3DS for ages, its so cool having more monsters on the screen and the 3D effect isn't bad

derFeef

Which mission is it exactly? I can look into it when I get home in about 30 minutes.

The things that affect your performance the most is your level and your weapon quality.

So, you can try leveling up in Free or Adventure Mode and/or obtaining better weapons. Also, make sure to use a weapon who's damage type is recommended by the mission (Light, Fire, etc.)

It's that one. I just tried two more times but no dice.. :-/ My base just crumbles even though I can brink the dragon down to a third... and most of the map is cleared. I tried it faster without taking bases but that's even worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euOcN4CKh1s

Kinsei

Banned
It's that one. I just tried two more times but no dice.. :-/ My base just crumbles even though I can brink the dragon down to a third... and most of the map is cleared. I tried it faster without taking bases but that's even worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euOcN4CKh1s

If I had to guess, you are probably not taking out the redead knights that spawn close to your base at the start. Before going into the palace like the game wants you to, go and capture the keep to the southwest and kill the three redeads there. Also make sure that you get to the magic circles for Argorok ASAP since it shoots fireballs at your base.

derFeef

If I had to guess, you are probably not taking out the redead knights that spawn close to your base at the start. Before going into the palace like the game wants you to, go and capture the keep to the southwest and kill the three redeads there. Also make sure that you get to the magic circles for Argorok ASAP since it shoots fireballs at your base.

That was my tactic last time and it was the closest I could get with Argorok down to 3/4 of it's health, but my base was at 10% or something. I guess I just need to be faster, or let someone guard the base... but that never works out somehow in this game.
Meanwhile I am breezing through other missions easily, lol. Maybe I just can't play with those characters.

Is there a Dynasty Warriors game that is as easy to understand as these spinoffs are? I really liked these games but I don't own a Nintendo console anymore and want to scratch that itch in a simple way which the mainline Warriors games seem to not be.

NeonZ

Is there a Dynasty Warriors game that is as easy to understand as these spinoffs are? I really liked these games but I don't own a Nintendo console anymore and want to scratch that itch in a simple way which the mainline Warriors games seem to not be.

I don't get why you think mainline Warriors games are more complex. The closest gameplay-wise to the Zelda games are the One Piece ones though since they also use dodge rather than jump buttons.

Still, if you actually want a mainline one you can go for Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition just fine. Dynasty Warriors 7 would be a better introduction from a storytelling point of view, since DW8 has worse cutscenes and skips some stuff, but it's not like these games stand out for their stories, and DW8XLCE has much more content and the movesets added after DW7 are much more unique and flashy than the older ones.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Thinking about this game depresses me.

I spent hundreds of hours trying to complete this on wiiu. Bought all tbe Dlc and everything.

3ds version comes out. With tons of exclusive content and new dlc that wont come out on wiiu. That sucks...

I guess I could spend a ton of more money and buy it on 3ds and play it on an inferior system.

Wait, nothing transfers and I would have to start from scratch again??? No Fucking way.

Really feel screwed over here. Shit like this makes me so hesitant to buy anything digital on Nintendo.

derFeef

I think Hyrule did some smart things to easy me in personally on the genre. I am now playing 3 Musou games mainly.
Hyrule Warriors Legends
One Piece Musou 3
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3

I find the first two to be somewhat easier and more satisfying to play. SWC3 is also pretty badass, but I find it much harder and the story is kinda meh (being all about your personal warrior). I would recommend One Piece to you - it's a joy to play and I also like the Story.

TheMoon

I spent hundreds of hours trying to complete this on wiiu. Bought all tbe Dlc and everything.

3ds version comes out. With tons of exclusive content and new dlc that wont come out on wiiu. That sucks...

I guess I could spend a ton of more money and buy it on 3ds and play it on an inferior system.

Wait, nothing transfers and I would have to start from scratch again??? No Fucking way.

Really feel screwed over here. Shit like this makes me so hesitant to buy anything digital on Nintendo.

Again, gameplay is different.

Camjo-Z

As someone who also spent 100+ hours on the Wii U version, it's really not that bad. It hardly feels "inferior" (on New 3DS at least) and the changes to gameplay/the Adventure Map reward distribution make it clear why save transfers weren't possible.

Cindro

I'm in dire straits here, folks!

I caught the Hyrule Warriors fever a couple weeks back, so I've been playing it a ton lately (I originally bought it near launch, played for maybe 7 - 8 hours, then shelved it).

But Adventure Mode is giving me fits :mad: Locking so much content behind A rankings is beyond frustrating, and it culminated for me last night as I was trying to unlock Ganondorf's trident.

My Ganondorf is level 38. The recommended level for the stage is freaking 1. I have all the moves unlocked for his dual swords, I'm very familiar with the game mechanics, yet not only can I not get an A rank, I can't beat the damn stage at all.

The stage starts by giving you three enemy commanders to defeat, all of whom are shielded moblins with ungodly amounts of health. Despite being (supposedly) overleveled, the moblins take forever to defeat. And each time I'm fighting them, the allied base inevitably falls.

Last time I tried, I just babysat the allied base. While I was obviously able to keep it protected with that strategy, I eventually had to leave it to go attack the moblins, and then it fell yet again. But if I just wait for the moblins to come to me, I won't be able to beat the stage in the 15-minute allotment for A rank.

With so many hundreds of stages and objectives, doing the exact same level six times and repeatedly failing has really taken the wind out of my sails. What's the point in continuing if there are already these ridiculous difficulty spikes in the very first adventure map? I'm sure it gets so much more difficult down the line. Yet I feel like I'm doing everything right (having all moves unlocked, knowing the A rank requirements, being overleveled, waiting to attack the moblins until they're vulnerable, etc.)

I'm hoping there's something I'm overlooking here because I really want to keep going, but I'm not going to waste my limited free time failing over and over again in a futile attempt to unlock the trident. Obviously I could play other stages instead, but this one is hanging over me like a dark cloud. If I'm already unable to beat this level, I'll just end up hitting another wall on some other map square.

Any pro strats you guys and gals may have would be very appreciated!

Camjo-Z

Any pro strats you guys and gals may have would be very appreciated!

Are you taking out the 3 Manhandla stalks? That's the only thing I can think of that could possibly be making your base fall so quickly. I beat the level ages ago but I don't remember it being that difficult, and my Ganondorf is currently Level 52 so he can't have been that much higher leveled than yours at the time.

Cindro

Are you taking out the 3 Manhandla stalks? That's the only thing I can think of that could possibly be making your base fall so quickly. I beat the level ages ago but I don't remember it being that difficult, and my Ganondorf is currently Level 52 so he can't have been that much higher leveled than yours at the time.
From what I've noticed, the Manhandla stalks are in separate keeps too far from my base to actually attack it. Will destroying them just reduce the number of overall enemy forces on the map (thus indirectly keeping my base standing longer)?

Camjo-Z

From what I've noticed, the Manhandla stalks are in separate keeps too far from my base to actually attack it. Will destroying them just reduce the number of overall enemy forces on the map (thus indirectly keeping my base standing longer)?

They're really easy to kill, you just run to the bases they're in and throw a boomerang at them. There's no way your base will fall in the time it takes to get all three. Your base's health steadily decreases while they're alive, so killing them should solve your problem.

Cindro

They're really easy to kill, you just run to the bases they're in and throw a boomerang at them. There's no way your base will fall in the time it takes to get all three. Your base's health steadily decreases while they're alive, so killing them should solve your problem.
Wow, I had no idea they siphoned health off your base no matter where they are! Thanks dude, that should be a huge help.

Top Bottom