• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Just beat the first stage in hero mode. Not my cup of tea sinceresly. Specials not killing random mobs, shitty commanders (the weak one that appear on hold and the diamond markings) taking hits for 1 minute with a 340 power sword and a level 31 character. Big commanders (stalfos and all that stuff) taking too much time for killing and waiting weakpoint. Kind dodongo taking up to 15 minutes to kill (he didnt even harm me once).
Basically Sword Sponges: The Game.
Its not even that diffcult (apart from a sneaky attack taking away half your life bar), its just more tedious and unfun. Would have been better with only them taking you more life but you killing them as fast as in hard mode, you would have been always cautious and would have already been a challenge.

The game says you would receive better material and loot. Nope, fuck that, I even think I got even less shit than in hard mode.

Going to continue to play in hard mode that is where the fun is. Maybe wen my characters arrive level 100 and I have various 500 power level weapons I try again to beat Hero mode.

SS got two characters. Fi and Ghirahim. TP is the odd one out by having three playable characters when OoT and SS only get two.

I'm guessing that the devs are big TP fans.

I was not counting playable villians, was only counting how it didnt make sense in story mode with the cutscenes to have two pairs of good guys and a game only having one. It stands out a lot.

Kouriozan

Yeah, Hero mode is for very end game, I guess after you're done with Adventure mode.
My highest level character is Zelda with level 50, just to beat that map with A rank I had some trouble doing.

Yeah, Hero mode is for very end game, I guess after you're done with Adventure mode.
My highest level character is Zelda with level 50, just to beat that map with A rank I had some trouble doing.

Hope high character levels make things killing faster then. I know I still have to unlock some ablities in the skill tree, but playing for the first time hero mode was really tedious.

Going to find now all the skulltulas in legend on hard (does someone know how to make the second skulltula to appear? Is killing 2000 people or finding some kind of secret?), and then go again to play adenture.

BTW, the things the game gives you in adventure mode (the compass, fire, bombs, etc...) can you lose all and not get anymore banning you from the secrets forever? I just used two items badly and Im afraid now of using any item.

EDIT Ok just saw the second skulltula thing. Playing with a type of sword. Do you need to kill X number with that sowrd for it to appear, or it appears at the start?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Nope. The only english voice acting is the narrator, which narrates the story between two stages in Legend mode. No character actually talks in the game (aside from some grunts).

I don't mind them adding the narrator but I do wish that they at least added an option to turn off the narrator, kinda ruins the game for me to the point I am either muting or skipping them and miss out on fully enjoying the story.

I really hope they fix that with a patch.

Kouriozan

Surprised to say this but Agitha is pretty good against bosses.
Y Y X to summon that big beetle then dodge to cancel the animation and do it again or use a Musou Attack (A) to cancel it faster.
You can deplete a boss weak point gauge in one go.
Edit : it's pretty good for normal ennemies too!

After finishing the Legend Mode, I immediately went to Adventure Mode. Well, I really really want to like the game. So far I really do (~15h), but I think - as of now - I will stop playing after I unlocked all characters. My remarks:

• Why would you include such a "feature" as the compass, does it add anything despite the unnecessary grind?
  • Can I somewhere check the requirements to get A ranks?
  • The "Damage Taken" category is such a pita. I feel that I dodge as many attacks as I can, still I always get B ranks.
  • Same holds for the "second" skulltulas. I have yet to get one of those...
  • Progress feels a bit slower now, also kinda random. I don't like the bade system that much: I've yet to play Fi once, still she got way more badges than characters I play on a regular basis.
  • Why does the game so often dictate which character to play :( I wanna play Ganondorf!
  • The whole skulltula-system doesn't really appeal to me. It feels very unnatural to sometimes leave a battle just because you want to search a skulltula on the other side of the map.
  • Thunderstrikes and falling rocks (?, even in buildings sometimes) are also a pita and total anti-fun mechanic. What's the point? The knockback / stun is annoying as hell.
  • How certain maps are uncovered in Adventure Mode is still beyond me. I get A ranks right next to an unavailable map, yet it wont get uncovered.
  • That's one of the most annoying flaws: When there's a giant boss (e.g. Manhandla), the lock-on camera will pretty much always focus on the Manhandla, even when it's (waaaay) outside my field of view and there's an enemy commander right in front of my face. Wow, that's extremely annoying.

As I said, I really want to like this game and play it some more, but it sometimes really gets frustrating. I just finished a map in Adventure Mode for the third time, I want to unlock a Level 2 weapon for Darunia, unfortunately I always get a B in "Damage Taken". I try to dodge everything, but there's still the possibility that an enemy charges or shoots outside my FoV. =/ I mean, I played through Demon Souls & Dark Souls twice, it's not that I don't know how to hold a gamepad.

Could it be that I have to upgrade my defense-badges? For Darunia I don't have one single badge that increases resistances (I didn't grind any materials so far).
Would it be possible to change the difficulty to easy to unlock my level 1 / 2 weapons? or do the unlock criterias change when lowering to "easy"?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm not counting Sheik as an OoT character because this Sheik isn't from the OoT world.

lol what? Sheik is a OoT character, she originated from this game. A different design or because Shiek and Zelda are 2 separate characters in Hyrule Warriors doesn't change anything.

Yeah I don't know how else you decide to put Agitha in the game :lol

(not that I'm complaining, I love the sheer unexpectedness of it)

No, they put her in because they want a character that no one would expect; a quirky and unique character that's sure to draw attention.

lol what? Sheik is a OoT character, he originated from this game. A different design or because Shiek and Zelda are 2 separate characters in this game doesn't change anything.

Yes, Sheik is from OOT.

Link, Zelda, Ganondorf and Impa are the only "Zelda" characters that are not from a specific game.

lol what? Sheik is a OoT character, he originated from this game. A different design or because Shiek and Zelda are 2 separate characters in Hyrule Warriors doesn't change anything.

Nope, he is right about that. Link, Zelda/Sheik, Impa and ganodorf are the version of Hryule Warriors, not their original game versions.
Also Zelda and Sheik
are still the same character in this game. Wow what a twist! lol

Yes, Sheik is from OOT.

Link, Zelda, Ganondorf and Impa are the only "Zelda" characters that are not from a specific game.

Eh I dont think so. Sheik is not OoT version, infact she comes exactly from Hyrule Warriors Zelda. That would mean she is HW Sheik, not OoT one.

zroid

Banned
No, they put her in because they want a character that no one would expect; a quirky and unique character that's sure to draw attention.

I don't think we're saying different things :p

I just feel they are probably fans of TP in particular to decide on Agitha over any number of other incredibly unexpected characters in the series.

Reknoc

Worst thing about SS's lesser representation is that the only character that could have balanced it out would be Groose since SS doesn't really have that many characters. Unless they wanted to go really obscure like they did with Agatha, which I'm convinced only happened because someone at K-T is really into her... probably on the team ninja side, probably the same person who okay'd marie rose.

Can anyone elaborate on the conditions for the second skulltula in the first stage in Legend mode? Not quite sure what to do. Also, can you use the Master Sword for it?

Reknoc

Can anyone elaborate on the conditions for the second skulltula in the first stage in Legend mode? Not quite sure what to do. Also, can you use the Master Sword for it?

just play the stage, its basically unmissable. Gotta use any of the hylian swords though (knights, white, 8bit)

edit: it does show up in a bit of a dick spot though so be careful of that.

Jackano

Sheik is perceived as a man as a part of Zelda's disguise in OoT. Sure, since this is not a spoiler anymore, everyone know Sheik is a female now.

Sheik in HW is a character from the HW world, not from the referenced OoT world. So in this particular game, Sheik is not from OoT, it's a HW character.
However in the franchise as a whole, Sheik only appears in one main entry Zelda game, OoT. HW is a spin-of/cross-over, and Smash Bros doesn't really count in the franchise. So it remains a OoT character, just not in HW.

I don't see much point to discuss, of course everything is little vairances, but it's pretty clear.

Also second skulltula == second play-through the mission. Or maybe 2000 kills will works in one shot.

just play the stage, its basically unmissable. Gotta use any of the hylian swords though (knights, white, 8bit)

edit: it does show up in a bit of a dick spot though so be careful of that.

Thanks, probably didn't show because I was using the Master Sword.

TheMoon

Sheik is actually refered to as a man by others in OoT (I think it's Ruto when she gives you the water medallion, or maybe Impa), and Sheik's artwork for OoT certainly looks like a man to me. That's just for OoT of course.

Not surprising if they don't know who's behind the mask ;)

I'd seriously enjoy someone trying to argue Sheik being male though. Just for the lulz. Would be so completely ridiculous :D

Seik

Banned
Can't wait to not play it this week-end because Future Shop will choke their 'Day 1' shipment, as always.

Damn you, Fridays releases.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I wonder what sales will be for this game in the west.

In Japan it wasn't a huge game as it only sold in around 130,000 LTD.

Hopefully the west will rescue it but due to the game, console and circumstances I don't see it getting to 1 million like KOEI wanted.

Oh and I know this is off topic but how does one go from junior member to member?

I don't mind them adding the narrator but I do wish that they at least added an option to turn off the narrator, kinda ruins the game for me to the point I am either muting or skipping them and miss out on fully enjoying the story.

I really hope they fix that with a patch.

Serious cringe worthy stuff there, I always mute.

Easier to skip Adventure until you played through the main storyline. Upgrading Fi's boss gauge really makes a difference in this particular challenge.

I'm at the Ganondorf section of the main storyline so thought I'd break it up with Adventure mode. Considering the sword that she is, she should be a lot more powerful.

TheMoon

I wonder what sales will be for this game in the west.

In Japan it wasn't a huge game as it only sold in around 130,000 LTD.

Hopefully the west will rescue it but due to the game, console and circumstances I don't see it getting to 1 million like KOEI wanted.

Oh and I know this is off topic but how does one go from junior member to member?

The Brits, who cannot care any less about Nintendo products, put it at #3 in its debut week. It'll do fine.

Kinsei

Banned
Are there any weapon specific moves? It'd be neat if there were special attacks you could only do with the chain chomp, 8 bit sword, etc.

daydream

Banned
Game has opened up and now there's definitely some HCs/Skulltullas that will require backtracking. That's fine, though, I'm beating the stages on every difficulty level so I'll just skip them for the moment and come back to them for items/difficulty check marks.

Legend mode is getting more awesome by the minute.

Most of my 2nd skulltula so far was "kill 1200 ennemies AFTER the first mission".

There's one on Adventure Mode which requires you to kill 1,200 enemies as Zelda while losing less than 4 hearts. I don't see myself achieving that any time soon.

Just beat the first stage in hero mode. Not my cup of tea sinceresly. Specials not killing random mobs, shitty commanders (the weak one that appear on hold and the diamond markings) taking hits for 1 minute with a 340 power sword and a level 31 character. Big commanders (stalfos and all that stuff) taking too much time for killing and waiting weakpoint. Kind dodongo taking up to 15 minutes to kill (he didnt even harm me once).
Basically Sword Sponges: The Game.
Its not even that diffcult (apart from a sneaky attack taking away half your life bar), its just more tedious and unfun. Would have been better with only them taking you more life but you killing them as fast as in hard mode, you would have been always cautious and would have already been a challenge.

The game says you would receive better material and loot. Nope, fuck that, I even think I got even less shit than in hard mode.

Going to continue to play in hard mode that is where the fun is. Maybe wen my characters arrive level 100 and I have various 500 power level weapons I try again to beat Hero mode.

That was my experience with hero mode too: the same as hard but it takes longer. I don't really enjoy wasting 30 seconds on an Outpost Captain.

I'd seriously enjoy someone trying to argue Sheik being male though. Just for the lulz. Would be so completely ridiculous :D

I hope you're not disappointed, but you're going to have to find your "lulz" somewhere else.

jackal27

Banned
So, I have never played Dynasty Warriors because it didn't interest me, but I love the Zelda universe, beat em ups, and repetitive games don't really bother me.

I also have a lot of games to play and buy right now and in the near future and not infinite money. I just bought Theatrhythm Curtain Call and have been all over that too.

Should I buy this? I'm having a hard time deciding. $60 is a lot of money for me and I RARELY ever spend that much, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but this looks cool. I also want to support my Wii U cause I love the lil dude. I'm so torn...

Zoracka

I got my copy today and I've already put about 3 hours in solo Legend mode and approximately 1 hour coop in free mode.

So far, I really, really enjoy this game. The few characters I've tried feel very different, and that's super positive. To my surprise, I really dig Fire Rod Link, but so far Sheik with the harp is the character I enjoy the most.

The coop mode runs fine, the game looks pretty bad visually with 2 people, but still run in a stable framerate on the telly. Not sure about the gamepad, I'd assume it's the same.

Notes so far:
- Not too challenging on hard difficulty
- Some unskippable, short cutscenes that intervenes with the action are annoying
- Framerate is stable, runs smooth
- coop: 2nd player had to re-enter after each map as the gamepad in free mode
- fan service, fan service everywhere
- varied attacks, especially visually making each character / wep combo stand out

I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I've played some DW games in the past, generally finding them fun, so if you're in this situation: Give this game a go!

eXistor

I just love the way you get stronger in this game. In the beginning I thought there were a lot of enemies, but looking at some of the achievements, I was wondering how to even get to the number of kills they require. I'm now at a point where enemy numbers seem to have tripled and my characters have stronger weapons so I'm just slicing through them like a knife through butter. Goddamn that shit just never gets old. Grinding never felt so good, some of the most mindless fun I've had all year with game.

So, in the Twilight realm stage against Zant in legend mode.
Can someone for the love of god explain how the fucker gets open to attack its weakpoint?

Every special attacks he does randomly makes it appear (most of the time doesnt), ive tried every object while he is doing the special attack to see if it triggers the weak point bar. Nothing, sometimes happens, others no luck.

Luigiv

So, in the Twilight realm stage against Zant in legend mode.
Can someone for the love of god explain how the fucker gets open to attack its weakpoint?

Every special attacks he does randomly makes it appear (most of the time doesnt), ive tried every object while he is doing the special attack to see if it triggers the weak point bar. Nothing, sometimes happens, others no luck.

No Idea. I didn't even see his weak point bar appear once when I fought him last night. Just keep mashing buttons until he dies.

Ok, yep its fucking luck. Sometimes he gets dizzy, other times (the majority) no.

Fuck the guy who design this battle with an long iron bar. Fuck him.
I can't even comprehend how this battle is feasible in hero mode, not because you can die, but becuase it will be long as hell depending of your luck.

Oh, and I love how the wording in the rules for the second skulltulas are garbage. Sometimes I think ive done well, and here we go of course, the thing doesnt appear.
In the vs darunia one it says. Using Sheik Kill darunia at least 2 times and kill 1500 enemies for the door to open. Did that and guess what, nothing (yep that means I killed darunia 3 times in that stage).

Then theres the one. Using Midna Kill Zant or ? (and I suppose its araghog) with your health not reaching midlow, and ? (and I suppose that Agitha) surviving.

What those the health thing mean, the whole stage? During the battle between both? During one of the battles (as its worded "or" and not "and")? Can you even get hearts to replenish? How does the game even know which battle you did right?

And why did they even use "?" in most of the rules? I hate when achivement do this in games, when is already hard to get them in the first place.

Ugh. I love the game, but this little details drive me nuts when playing a lot.

RiggyRob

The scarf is much nicer quality than I thought it was going to be!

It's bigger and shorter than I was expecting, but I would've loved for it to be silk instead of wool.

Adventure mode is pretty fun, I can already see that you need to replay stages to get certain items (especially the compass), but we haven't been able to master getting A ranks in co-op yet.

Top Bottom