• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors: over 1m units shipped WW

Shiggy

So the money grab with the Zelda licence worked pretty well. Nintendo just knows too well that its fans only buy Mario and Zelda games.

Great. I spend 140 hours already, and there are still two DLC on the horizon.

After that, please make a Hyrule Warriors 2 with the characters of 2D/top down Zeldas.

HW2_zpsajzyzwn2.jpg

jariw

The confirmed million+ sellers - including bundled software - are (unless I'm mistaken):

1. NSMBU
  2. NSLU (Kinda iffy, but Nintendo counts it on their site)
  3. Nintendo Land
  4. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U
  5. Mario Kart 8
  6. Super Mario 3D World
  7. Wii Party U
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  9. Hyrule Warriors

Surprised to see Wii Party U on such a list. And sad to not see Pikmin 3 on the list, since it's a real masterpiece.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So the money grab with the Zelda licence worked pretty well. Nintendo just knows too well that its fans only buy Mario and Zelda games.

I'd say it has more to do with it actually being a pretty good game, that defied the heavy cynicism and skepticism swirling around before release.

Word of mouth has really helped it since launch. There's no end of people playing it and coming back to say they're shocked that it's good. And a lot of Zelda fans have appreciated it precisely because it's something different, for all that other fans just wanted it to be another stock standard Zelda game.

Surprised to see Wii Party U on such a list. And sad to not see Pikmin 3 on the list, since it's a real masterpiece.

Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 too, but they probably will never sell as many units as those games. It really is sad, but oh well. At least we can have joy playing them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I liked the game, but i grew bored of it after not even 2 weeks after beating the story and trying a little of Adventure mode. Too repetitive for me. Don't think I will even buy a HW2 if it exist one day.

The fanservice is pretty cool, I will give the game that.

Shiggy

I'd say it has more to do with it actually being a pretty good game, that defied the heavy cynicism and skepticism swirling around before release.

Doubtful. Just look at the sales of other games in the series when the Zelda licence isn't slammed on. It's pretty obvious that it's more related to Nintendo fans only buying Mario and Zelda games on Wii U. That's why 3rd parties gave up completely.

And pretty good is also relative. 75 is rather average.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If I remember correctly this was TK's goal for the game?
Glad to see it reached it.

edit: next one better have motion control support like in Zangeki no Reginleiv!
along with playable Ezlo in hat form

I am part of that 1 million and I am damn happy about it too! Game is just a lot of fun. Here is hoping for a part 2 but with a conquest mode added into it!

Calamari41

41 > 38

It's a shrewd strategy. Rather than just putting out the same type of game with the tried and true characters, Nintendo is attaching these tried and true characters to the types of games that Nintendo fans aren't known for flocking to. So where a true Dynasty Warriors game would have bombed on the Wii U, now there are a shitload of Nintendo fans who have been introduced to this genre. This doesn't mean that a Dynasty Warriors release will now light up the charts, but it's a step in the right direction toward opening up their audience's horizons.

Gross but not too surprising.
These same people really ought to be buying Bayo 2, Wonderful 101, etc instead if there was any justice in the world.

dzelly

This is one of the only major releases for Wii U I've yet to get. I like edit: (Dynasty Warriors) back in the day, but I played the Vita one and wasn't impressed.

How is this game overall? Strengths, weaknesses?

Mory Dunz

Hyrule Warriors seems to be the one big third party success story on the Wii U. Koei managed to use their familiar gameplay to bring in an audience that previously was cold to it. I think that it gives them a good idea of what does and does not sell on the console. Unfortunately, it's pretty bad news for other third party games.

I think sonic racing did decently, dunno if that counts as a success story though.

Maybe MH3U but maybe that had higher expectations.

It's a shrewd strategy. Rather than just putting out the same type of game with the tried and true characters, Nintendo is attaching these tried and true characters to the types of games that Nintendo fans aren't known for flocking to. So where a true Dynasty Warriors game would have bombed on the Wii U, now there are a shitload of Nintendo fans who have been introduced to this genre. This doesn't mean that a Dynasty Warriors release will now light up the charts, but it's a step in the right direction toward opening up their audience's horizons.

Time to bring on Hyrule Souls.

Ansatz

Doubtful. Just look at the sales of other games in the series when the Zelda licence isn't slammed on. It's pretty obvious that it's more related to Nintendo fans only buying Mario and Zelda games on Wii U. That's why 3rd parties gave up completely.

And pretty good is also relative. 75 is rather average.

75 for a Musou title released in 2014 is fantastic. It translates to 3.75/5. I mention this because many use 5 point scale these days and since getting 5/5 is hard, a 4/5 is success in my view which HW practically equates to.

Sadist

These same people really ought to be buying Bayo 2, Wonderful 101, etc instead if there was any justice in the world.
Well it's good to be me then

Where is the gif of Aonuma doing the cuccoo dance? GAF is slipping. On a more seriuous note, awesome! Game deserves it. One of my biggest surprises in '14.

Richie

Bought all three. Loved the Platinum duo to death and while they indeed deserve much more sales, let's not toss dirt upon Hyrule Warriors, it's a damn great game and I'm very pleased to see it achieve success.

A well deserved success! Hyrule Warriors could have easily been a cheap cash-in Zelda fanservice game but instead it is easily one of my favorite titles of 2014.

Now bring on other Nintendo Warriors crossover titles please. :D

Effect

Glad the game is doing well. It deserves to I feel. I think I had the most with with that game last year save Mario Kart 8. I'd certainly be up for a Hyrule Warriors 2 or another musou game in general after seeing how they really play first hand.

Tropical Freeze hasn't breeched a million yet, I think it's around 700k right now, not 100% on that.

I'm really curious as to why. Was the push back against Retro making it and not a new Metroid Prime or something along those lines that strong with people? I remember this really be the heart of the issue when it was announced right up to it released. Many, myself included felt the game was going to be great but simply didn't want it. Or could it just general 2D platformer fatigue after NSMBU, NSLU, and Rayman Legends? A combination of both?

Ansatz

It proves that third party games steeped in Nintendo fanservice can sell. Games that don't have this aren't as successful, so there's a lot less point in releasing them on the Wii U.

Sheik's ReQuest (Platinum)
The Last Plumber (Mistwalker)

Fandangox

Nice to see it do well Musou sequels can be fun since the work is already laid out they can go crazy with the characters.

I really liked ratings on adventure map, forces you to actually achieve the best possible outcome as opposed to waiting out for the enemy wear itself out. If they make a sequel I hope there's focus on that again.

jholmes

Well deserved. I adored this game and sunk a lot of time into it. Hopefully the next Warriors game hits the Wii U, because I'll be ready for more before long!

How many wii u titles reached one million shipped so far? I think 6. That's crazy for an install base so small. Makes it extremely clear that it's a niche console, but it's audience have pretty deep pockets.
Wind Waker HD, Nintendo Land, NSMBU, NSLU (iirc), 3D world, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and i imagine we'll hear of any other game in a little bit (financial conference)
The confirmed million+ sellers - including bundled software - are (unless I'm mistaken):

1. NSMBU
  2. NSLU (Kinda iffy, but Nintendo counts it on their site)
  3. Nintendo Land
  4. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U
  5. Mario Kart 8
  6. Super Mario 3D World
  7. Wii Party U
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  9. Hyrule Warriors
Ah, forgot Wii Party U

ZhugeEX

Banned
Koei best selling games worldwide.

1. Dynasty Warriors 4 (2.2m)
2. Dynasty Warriors 3 (2.0m)
3. Dynasty Warriors 5 (1.5m)
4. Warriors Orochi (1.5m)
5. Samurai Warriors (1.5m)
(minimum sold in)

As well as this we've seen games such as Dynasty Warriors 6 & 7 exceed 1 million sold in. One Piece Pirate Musou, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1&2 have also exceeded 1 million units. There are a number of Tecmo games such as Dead or Alive as well as cumulative sales of Ninja Gaiden which have exceeded 1 million. And I'm sure there are others I've missed out.

But welcome to Hyrule Warriors as another 1 million seller from Koei.

What's different about this game is the majority of sales are in the west compared to the usual trend of more sales in the east.

Trickster

Wonder how many people who normally ignore Dynasty Warrior games, bought this almost purely because it's based on the Zelda IP.

Neiteio

Wonder how many people who normally ignore Dynasty Warrior games, bought this almost purely because it's based on the Zelda IP.
The Zelda IP made me pay attention to the game. The Treehouse Live demo at E3 helped me understand the appeal of the gameplay. Musou-GAF then helped me to understand the nuance. And after blitzing through the story mode this past weekend, I can say it's really -clicked- with me, to an incredible degree.

Hyrule Warriors is my favorite WiiU game to just pick up and play, alongside Mario Kart 8. I need to be in a much more particular mode for my other favorites like Bayo 2, Tropical Freeze and Smash. But so far, I always feel up for a round of Free Mode or a couple squares on the Adventure map in Hyrule Warriors.

shuri

Banned
It's a shame that this game cannot be played remotely. It's the only problem I have with it. When you use the controller, you just get the map screen or whatever -_-

Fandangox

Maybe the Wii U will get a Dynasty Warriors 9 port (if they make a DW9).

I doubt they will get a mainline title, WO3U sold pretty bad, and Samurai Warriors 3 didn't do well on the Wii.

I'd love to see the update rerelease of SW4 to also make it on Wii U, but I really doubt it.

What would be a smart idea is to at least try to tell buyers "Hey guess what, we actually have another Warriors game already out on Wii U worldwide; Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper!".

Is it on the eShop? If people can't find a retail copy they can grab it there.

It's a really good game! Tons of stuff to do and they keep adding things to it to make it fresh to return to every couple of months. I'm hopeful for sequels.

KingV

So, does this game play significantly (or at all) differently than the Fist of the North Star Musou games? Those are the only ones I'm familiar with, but tentatively interested in this.

Top Bottom