• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’d Like to Apologize to NeoGAF, Give a Special Thank You and LTTPs too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlk

I feel like this is a problem in general.

I was talking with InfiniteNine the other day and we both agreed that the Fatal Frame V thread was basically a lost cause since it just became a discussion of an optional, post-game costume with people quoting the picture and going "MAN THIS IS SO SEXY."

Which, you know, fine. Whatever. Think whatever you want is sexy, I'm not here to judge, but keep it in your goddamn pants, would you please? You're allowed to have whatever preferences you like, but just because you're on the internet doesn't mean that you've removed yourself from polite society and suddenly anything goes.

The creepiest parts of communities have hijacked the conversations to be about what they like, how intensely they like it, and it gives everyone a bad name.

Not only that, but stinking up an entire thread with "waifu" talk or whatever isn't great for either side. You can't even discuss parts of the game that have a relationship mechanic to it, like FE: A or the newer Persona games, because it's taboo all of a sudden.

Basically, I just wish people wish people would use good judgement before changing the entire dynamic of a thread/community. It doesn't help anyone.

Gsnap

When will the War on Anime end?

When everybody watches Cowboy Bebop and realizes that you should only judge individual efforts and not entire genres or mediums.

I agree, a lot of the moe stuff is annoying and often creepy or off putting, but just like every single thing ever, you have to pick your battles and shouldn't generalize the whole. There are good anime and bad anime.

Now go watch Cowboy Bebop.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I can't ignore them because it gets to the point where I click on threads about franchises I like and suddenly oh no oh god get it away

Hey, Zane, you know about Gaf's ignore list feature, right?

If it really bothers you that much, you can just put people that bother you on that list and you won't see their posts (unless someone else quotes them). Sorry that it bothers you, but that's really the best alternative if it irritates that you much.

If the bit about seeing quotes of other users' posts irritates you too, there's also a Chrome extension that completely gets rid of posts that contain quotes from people on your ignore list. I personally don't use it, but I can understand people getting frustrated.

ArjanN

I was talking with InfiniteNine the other day and we both agreed that the Fatal Frame V thread was basically a lost cause since it just became a discussion of an optional, post-game costume with people quoting the picture and going "MAN THIS IS SO SEXY."

Which, you know, fine. Whatever. Think whatever you want is sexy, I'm not here to judge, but keep it in your goddamn pants, would you please? You're allowed to have whatever preferences you like, but just because you're on the internet doesn't mean that you've removed yourself from polite society and suddenly anything goes.

The creepiest parts of communities have hijacked the conversations to be about what they like, how intensely they like it, and it gives everyone a bad name.

To be fair, in the case of Fatal Frame every game in the series has pushed the fanservice a little harder.

It's still there to a lesser degree ("best girl" talk, etc), just toned down to the point that it won't draw ire. It treads close to the line at times though.

which says a lot really

no-one is like "gee maybe there's something off-putting with what we've doing", it's just "I HAVE THE RIGHT TO A WAIFU but oh god please don't ban me this is all I have"

Tohsaka

The point was that discussion became about that costume rather than anything else.

Yeah, that was unfortunate. I think it's understandable that people would want the game to make it over intact, but I'd probably still buy it either way since I've been wanting to play it since it was announced.

nampad

This thread is so weird and creepy as you expected OP. Still, I read it all though so there might be something wrong with me too :p

Anyway, I haven't played the original Persona 4 but the Golden version and after reading what they have added, I would say you should get a Vita and go for that version of the game. You seem to love the series so it should be worth it. Also, the Vita has a lot of waif games :>

Arcadius

Banned
This thread is so weird and creepy as you expected OP. Still, I read it all though so there might be something wrong with me too :p

Anyway, I haven't played the original Persona 4 but the Golden version and after reading what they have added, I would say you should get a Vita and go for that version of the game. You seem to love the series so it should be worth it. Also, the Vita has a lot of waif games :>

Oh yippee! Back to my thread again! Thanks for reading and posting. Yeah I figured Golden may be the way to go and I'm very aware of the games available on the Vita as well, thanks for stopping by!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Oh yippee! Back to my thread again! Thanks for reading and posting. Yeah I figured Golden may be the way to go and I'm very aware of the games available on the Vita as well, thanks for stopping by!
Genuine question, how do you respond to certain people so quickly? Are you just refreshing every few seconds? :eek:

When everybody watches Cowboy Bebop and realizes that you should only judge individual efforts and not entire genres or mediums.

I agree, a lot of the moe stuff is annoying and often creepy or off putting, but just like every single thing ever, you have to pick your battles and shouldn't generalize the whole. There are good anime and bad anime.

so is cowboy bebop the exception to the rule, or something

because whenever I see people go "oh not all anime's like that" they throw out cowboy bebop as an example and nothing else

I assume then you don't have a favorite character in any other media, correct?

when discussing other media, you usually see people with more to say than "best girl"

nobody's out there going "peggy olson best girl"

Andrefpvs

This is a good post.

Every time there is a LTTP Persona thread, there is a subset of people who go in the thread, completely ignore the OP, and drive-by post their favourite "waifu" and then leave.

This is shit-posting because:

1. No one cares who your favourite character is, because...
  2. No one asked, and also...
  3. You're derailing the thread.
  4. You're an idiot.

And yes, it gives everyone in the community a bad name. I think most people would be surprised to find that the Persona community thread has <0.5% of "favourite character" talk.

I was very happy when "waifu" talk became bannable in threads about Persona 5.

Arcadius

Banned
Genuine question, how do you respond to certain people so quickly? Are you just refreshing every few seconds? :eek:

Correct. I figured that I should at least attempt to respond to people who I feel need to be responded to, and I like watching how my thread has taken shape and form. I'm not doing much today anyhow.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I assume then you don't have a favorite character in any other media, correct?

Not that I would rank by or restrict to their girl-ness, no. It gets back to that gendered thing I was talking about earlier, there's such a specific emphasis on passion for female characters almost exclusively. "Best girl" has become shorthand basically, which is weird to me. Like, no-one in the Flash OT is calling Cisco the "best guy"

Tohsaka

because whenever I see people go "oh not all anime's like that" they throw out cowboy bebop as an example and nothing else

Cowboy Bebop is used as an example because it aired on TV in America, and is therefore more recognizable to people who may not have seen a lot of other anime.

Not that I would rank by or restrict to their girl-ness, no. It gets back to that gendered thing I was talking about earlier, there's such a specific emphasis on passion for female characters almost exclusively. "Best girl" has become shorthand basically, which is weird to me. Like, no-one in the Flash OT is calling Cisco the "best guy"

I take it you don't go to /a/, because there's a lot of "best boy" over there. Not as much as with girls, but still.

Yep. I almost never tell anyone in real life I like anime. I like Bebop, Moribito, Korra, Claymore, Naruto, Black Lagoon, Berserk, Death Note, and Attack on Titan. But if I just say I like anime its will always seem like i mean this. No offense to people that like it, but I just don't like the stigma. A lot of modern "moe" shows seem borderline pedophilic:
final-moe3.jpg

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Well you could start this new trend.

Puruzi

Banned
Yep. I almost never tell anyone in real life I like anime. I like Bebop, Moribito, Korra, Claymore, Naruto, Black Lagoon, Berserk, Death Note, and Attack on Titan. But if I just say I like anime its will always seem like i mean this. No offense to people that like it, but I just don't like the stigma. A lot of these "moe" shows seem borderline pedophilic:

If they seem borderline pedophilic to you, then that says something about you because most of the shows in that image have no sexual content.

when discussing other media, you usually see people with more to say than "best girl"

There are tons of exceptions. Its just that the weirdest fans are the loudest. Feels like theres no middle ground anymore--youre rocking a loli avatar and adding studders to text or you just keep it to yourself unless youre with people who you know have similar tastes and arent total freaks.

People who start war are the same people who don't believe in Santa Claus or Anime. War creates hunger and sadness. Anime characters do have flaws, go watch them. Goku has flaws, Luffy has flaws, Naruto has flaws, etc.

They are of course relatable. That's exactly how we go out on date with girls. We call them up, pick a fancy restaurant, say some nice things, give them a present, then we go home, game end. Isn't that how real life is?

Anime.
Is.
Life.

I quickly read that as Cisce the "best guy", man I was confused for a second. But at the main time, I wouldn't have any issue with it either.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, what do you want? Stuff that isn't "moe?"

There's all sorts of stuff like that. I'd recommend Akira, Berserk, Serial Experiments Lain, Monster, Paranoia Agent, Baccano, Trigun, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (though the fabulousness might be too strong for some to handle).

That's a good mix between action-oriented animes and more thought-provoking animes (that contain little to zero waifu stuff) to start out with.

Hugstable

Banned
Liking a character in anime or any other form of media doesn't mean they have to be your "waifu" or "husbando" or "best girl/guy".

Yeah but saying that a character is my favorite or I think isn't the best girl isn't me going out there and being all "oh yeah that's mai waifu". It's literally me just saying that I think they are the best character, and in anime, many times it ends up being the girls. I feel many male anime characters aren't very well written, and many are boring, etc. There are exceptions, but half the time I end up finding my favorite to end up being a girl. Doesn't mean I automatically claim something as a waifu or something. Also there are some who do like the waifu stuff, but there are just as many who are like me who like the character and sometimes maybe joke around about it.

wmlk

Have you even tried to look for the exceptions? Because if you haven't this is what creates this "anime is weird" stereotype IRL.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Really!? I only ever played the first one. It's hard to imagine fan service in that type of game.

Crimson Butterfly was by far one of the best in the series. But yeah the latest one with the characters general design among other things its slipping into the more fanservice direction. Though still does not change the fact that the story / setting is different from the usual crazy shit you would find in a Fatal Frame game.

Yeah but saying that a character is my favorite or I think isn't the best girl isn't me going out there and being all "oh yeah that's mai waifu". It's literally me just saying that I think they are the best character, and in anime, many times it ends up being the girls. I feel many male anime characters aren't very well written, and many are boring, etc. There are exceptions, but half the time I end up finding my favorite to end up being a girl. Doesn't mean I automatically claim something as a waifu or something. Also there are some who do like the waifu stuff, but there are just as many who are like me who like the character and sometimes maybe joke around about it.

You know why the guys arent as prominent?? Supply and demand.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
This is totally wrong. We are the one who respect, honor, and recognize women the most.

Women are not commodities to be fought over. We help them to get the care, love, and attention they deserve. This is not off putting or weird.

Animated women or not, some of them are the most amazing, sweet, caring, loving, and adorable people in the world. They made our life that much more meaningful and completed. Without them we have no reason to live in this cold and selfish planet. So what's wrong that we do a little to glorify our women who saved us?

Just saying if we are all a bit more respectful or thoughtful or understanding our world would be a much better place. Waifu or not they are our guide and inspiration so we appreciate them, that's all.

Welp... I think I've had enough Internet for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom