• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

That's... stupid. What's the point then, if rawdogging the idol into a shop or exit gives you the same amount? I guess so you can deactivate the boulder in levels with shopkeepers, but pfffft.
You get more gold out of the monkey up until the Ice Caverns that way, so I guess there's the point of it all even if it is a time-consuming ordeal. Other than being a cute easter egg, of course.

Banzai

I just had a glitch I never knew about. The platform underneath a level exit got blown up, effectively preventing me from progressing. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but I did throw a mine and a bomb at a shopkeeper at the exit.
That was the first time this happened in 2000+ games.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just had a glitch I never knew about. The platform underneath a level exit got blown up, effectively preventing me from progressing. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but I did throw a mine and a bomb at a shopkeeper at the exit.
That was the first time this happened in 2000+ games.
Interesting. That's not supposed to ever happen. Even Olmec can't destroy the exit platform. Then again, the Moai head is supposed to be indestructible too.

I'm trying to play the Steam version of Spelunky on a Windows 10 laptop, but when I try to change the resolution or start a game, I get Fatal Error - D3DERR_DEVICELOST. I tried reinstalling the game. What should I try next? I'll provide more information if needed.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm trying to play the Steam version of Spelunky on a Windows 10 laptop, but when I try to change the resolution or start a game, I get Fatal Error - D3DERR_DEVICELOST. I tried reinstalling the game. What should I try next? I'll provide more information if needed.
I Googled and found a thread on Steam for a different game. It says to try updating/reinstalling DirectX. The D3D refers to Direct 3D or DirectX 3D.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/287290/discussions/0/611701360824683570/

See if it helps. It doesn't seem to be a Spelunky issue rather just a shitty driver in Windows 10.

I Googled and found a thread on Steam for a different game. It says to try updating/reinstalling DirectX. The D3D refers to Direct 3D or DirectX 3D.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/287290/discussions/0/611701360824683570/

See if it helps. It doesn't seem to be a Spelunky issue rather just a shitty driver in Windows 10.

The link in that topic takes me to a Windows 10 page. Where can I download the latest version of DirectX?

Edit: I found a dxwebsetup file on the Windows website after searching, but when I ran it, it said nothing needed to be changed with my current DirectX installation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The link in that topic takes me to a Windows 10 page. Where can I download the latest version of DirectX?

Edit: I found a dxwebsetup file on the Windows website after searching, but when I ran it, it said nothing needed to be changed with my current DirectX installation.
I dunno. Can you try uninstalling the current install first? Sorry I'm a Mac user and still have Windows 7 right now so I can't help with anything 10 related.

Blizzard

Banned
I dunno. Can you try uninstalling the current install first? Sorry I'm a Mac user and still have Windows 7 right now so I can't help with anything 10 related.
I would hesitate to try to uninstall DirectX. I'd suspect some sort of driver issue or just plain Windows 10 incompatibility with certain hardware/drivers first.

Also try unplugging any USB devices you can do without.

xezuru

Does anybody have a save file with all the characters?
I reformatted and turns out Spelunky doesn't have Steam Cloud support.

I can't do my runs without mah ninja tho.

Update to my previous post: I got Spelunky running, but only in safe mode. Otherwise, it still gives me a fatal error. I tried disabling all unnecessary start up programs and services, cleaning my registry with CCleaner, de-fragmented my hard drive and scanned it for errors, verified the game cache, but Spelunky still doesn't work. I'm doing a virus scan now.

Nose Master

Are the level seed algorithms different from console to console? I'm trying to tough it out on PS4, despite the garbage controller and input lag, but the levels are really weird. Getting a lot of impassible (without rope or bomb) patterns that I've never seen before. I have 500+ hours on the 360 version, and also play the Vita version a bunch.

Bonus video of me being an idiot on Olmec

xezuru

Shoutouts to voidguts for reuniting me with Mah Ninja.
Finally getting back into the game after a long while, gotta get that rust off.

A2lrLtX.jpg
75VxRzD.jpg

Are the level seed algorithms different from console to console? I'm trying to tough it out on PS4, despite the garbage controller and input lag, but the levels are really weird. Getting a lot of impassible (without rope or bomb) patterns that I've never seen before. I have 500+ hours on the 360 version, and also play the Vita version a bunch.

Bonus video of me being an idiot on Olmec

Old post but I have had this with the vita a few times recently. I am pretty sure ps3, vita and ps4 have identical generation as they're cross compatible.
Overall it's pretty rare to have a blocked path, I think the last few involved spider caves but not sure there's a connection.

Just discovered you can skip accross the surface of the water multiple times if you time it right, for some reason I used to think it only worked for one bounce. Had a water level lead me from one edge of the map across a whole screen of water and I made it!

Anybody else reading the Boss Fight book about Spelunky written by Derek Yu? It's really good and interesting so far. I feel like I have already learned some new things and tidbits from the first chapters.

I also love the cover

Yeah, really enjoying this book. Will probably start a thread about it when I'm done if no one else has. There's some really nice stuff about worlds these days being designed for players rather than as worlds with players in, and just bits about game design that you maybe wouldn't ever think about but when you read it here you're like "oh yeah, actually."

Also, naturally it was able to teach me a new thing about Spelunky, just because. The hedjet prevents dark levels occurring!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Definitely going to want to get this for my long car ride to South Carolina on the 8th.

I hope Derek went into extreme detail about every single thing in the game. I love this kind of stuff.

HF2014

Muhahahha.

Yesterday, after, i dont know, more than 500 tries, i finally deliver my god damn gold key to the end of level 3-4 without dying to unlock the shortcut!!

Now i have to beat the game....

Knuf

Muhahahha.

Yesterday, after, i dont know, more than 500 tries, i finally deliver my god damn gold key to the end of level 3-4 without dying to unlock the shortcut!!

Well done!
Now, if you really want to beat the game, just forget about those shortcuts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congratulations! It's actually one of the hardest things to do in the game since it happens when you're not really that familiar with it all. In another couple hundred games you'd be able to breeze through with the key without even breaking a sweat!

And yeah, shortcuts are essential. Struggling through 12 stages to get to the Temple and dying in 1.2 seconds to an enemy you've never seen before can be pretty demoralising. Way better to start in the Temple and die in 1.2 seconds to an enemy you've never seen before and then do it a few more times until you know what to expect before you head back to the Mines.

Knuf

Congratulations! It's actually one of the hardest things to do in the game since it happens when you're not really that familiar with it all. In another couple hundred games you'd be able to breeze through with the key without even breaking a sweat!

And yeah, shortcuts are essential. Struggling through 12 stages to get to the Temple and dying in 1.2 seconds to an enemy you've never seen before can be pretty demoralising. Way better to start in the Temple and die in 1.2 seconds to an enemy you've never seen before and then do it a few more times until you know what to expect before you head back to the Mines.

Sorry, I completely disagree here: if you're using shortcuts you're doing it wrong.
Back in those glorious arcade days, shortcuts were nowhere to be found and not 1cc was considered sort of cheating: since Spelunky would have been just perfect in arcades, you have to make it through exactly like we used to back then: start over and over until you finally master the game from start to finish.

Plus, if you use shortcuts, you're going to miss out on its true ending.

Anybody else reading the Boss Fight book about Spelunky written by Derek Yu? It's really good and interesting so far. I feel like I have already learned some new things and tidbits from the first chapters.

I also love the cover

So pumped. Mine should be arriving any day now.

Sorry, I completely disagree here: if you're using shortcuts you're doing it wrong.
Back in those glorious arcade days, shortcuts were nowhere to be found and not 1cc was considered sort of cheating: since Spelunky would have been just perfect in arcades, you have to make it through exactly like we used to back then: start over and over until you finally master the game from start to finish.

I'm not saying you should use shortcuts to get to the end, I'm saying you should use shortcuts to practice the Temple before going back to the start. That's how they're essential. A new-ish player is going to reach the Temple once every twenty games starting from the Mines, if that, and not knowing what to expect there means a quick death.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not saying you should use shortcuts to get to the end, I'm saying you should use shortcuts to practice the Temple before going back to the start. That's how they're essential. A new-ish player is going to reach the Temple once every twenty games starting from the Mines, if that, and not knowing what to expect there means a quick death.
Yep -- skipping shortcuts for practice runs just means that your practices will be artifically extended.

HF2014

Thanks! But god this 4th is hard. Manage to arrive to the boss a few time but died each time. I think i need to be more gear up to face that lvl 4. 4 bombs and whip is not strong enough, those enemies are freakin hard.

HF2014

Didnt knew anout that. Ill practice the boss a bit and try later to see the real one.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Muhahahha.

I beat the game on the same run where I delivered the key. It was a rush. I was playing that run without any intention of actually finishing. It was just to give him the key. But then I just kept going.

Was a good feeling.

Muhahahha.

Attempting that broke my daughter from her Spelunky addiction. She had the key on 3-4 and misjudged by one block the distance of the fall. Had one heart, dropped down, died on the portal out with the key coming to rest beside her corpse.

Every time I think of trying to joke about it I realize... too soon.

And speaking of Spelunky arcade... anyone actually made one yet? I'm so tempted to drop a big chunk of change on a custom job if I could find someone doing that.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think I beat hell before I ever took the key down. I never used shortcuts so I didn't bother until I wanted to do it for fun.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think I beat hell before I ever took the key down. I never used shortcuts so I didn't bother until I wanted to do it for fun.
I wanted the shortcuts because I was new and wanted to practice the later areas a lot. Now I don't even care because I already know everything that you can possibly find in the game.

The shortcuts are obviously just for practice and familiarity. That's what he was talking about.

HF2014

Attempting that broke my daughter from her Spelunky addiction. She had the key on 3-4 and misjudged by one block the distance of the fall. Had one heart, dropped down, died on the portal out with the key coming to rest beside her corpse.

Every time I think of trying to joke about it I realize... too soon.

And speaking of Spelunky arcade... anyone actually made one yet? I'm so tempted to drop a big chunk of change on a custom job if I could find someone doing that.

Yop. That happen to me like 6 month ago i think. Me i didnt died, but the fall was too high, and my god damn gold key drop into the abyss. Probably the main reason i left it for a few month haha.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I wanted the shortcuts because I was new and wanted to practice the later areas a lot. Now I don't even care because I already know everything that you can possibly find in the game.

I was always too paranoid that I'd actually do well and make it to the end when it didn't count, so I just played from the beginning every time.

Rooter McGavin

Neo Member
nfCXZ98.png

It's been a few months since I last played, but I really need to get back into playing through a game here and there again. I would arguably say Spelunky is the best-feeling platformer since SMB3.

Top Bottom