• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am beyond pissed at Nintendo at this point. Nintendo is anti-consumer.

I transferred from 3ds to XL to New XL and never once lost a single save file. Know why? I read the instructions fully and did what it said...

I don't think something being bad or stupid is necessarily "anti-consumer".

Stuff like apps requiring tons of your personal information for no reason, paying for previously basic functionality, and games being permanently removed from sale and download (like PT) seem more directly "anti-consumer" to me.

If there was NO save transfer system at all, I'd call that anti-consumer, but not just for being confusing or complicated. I lost some of my digital games' saves when I originally transfered from the OG 3DS to the OG XL (Mutant Mudds and Pushmo being the two I lost the most in), but the process was actually a lot easier when I did it from the OG XL to the New 3DS XL, when I could just do the PC method.

KTallguy

Banned
I think it's a stretch to say they're anti-consumer. But their software and processes are backwards and assnine, that's for sure. They're still stuck in a 10 yr old business model. And sadly, they haven't been able to catch up to the connected world we live in.

Locking my downloaded content to a single system and having an arduous process to fix it is totally backwards.

Not packing in an A/C adapter required to use a game system is also terrible. That's more anti-consumer than anything, really.

Yes but we're comparing current generation systems. Nintendo didn't exactly do any different or better on WiiU. In fact, the WiiU didn't have the ability to do system transfers AT ALL until nearly 2 years after it released.

Never had any of these issues with PS4, and I've owned 3 of them now. Did you call Sony when it started happening? There are issues with faulty 3DS and WiiU's too, you know.

My statement was supposed to make fun of the "anti consumer" portion of the OP. It's unfortunate OP lost their data but it's not anti consumer in the slightest, just unfortunate. Much like my experiences with Sony I mentioned, it sucks but it's not done intentionally with the idea of scamming customers into buying services/accessories of having to pay ridiculous fees to keep your saves or some other BS.

I don't think many people would argue that Nintendo has the most optimal system in place for transferring data to other systems, but for the most part and for the majority of people that do it right it does work as it's supposed to. EVERY service is going to have is issues or quirks that you'll have to deal with and every once in a while the end user will get screwed when something goes wrong, much like my losing the digital copy of Grandia (which I never got back since there was no proof of the purchase on the account for some weird reason).

Also,
http://ps4daily.com/2015/01/ps4-randomly-ejecting-discs/
This is the problem with disc ejects. I could have sent it to Sony to get fixed, but keeping the console elevated so that the foot doesn't push into the system means I don't have to wait weeks for them to fix the console. Also, from what I've read most of the people that have sent the console back wind up with the problem still occurring regularly, so there not much point in sending it in anyway.

Sorcerer

People have crazy high expectations.

I mean its only 2016. Nintendo still hasn't fully read the textbooks on networking and internet 101.

Cmon Guys, A+ certification is hard.

fernoca

Mentioning again that OPs problem had nothing to do with the licences, accounts, downloads or system transfers.

OP used the "cartridge transfer tool" (SD Transfer Utility Tool) that allows to transfer saved data on a cartridge to a digital game.

But that it seems that after the system transfer the saved data didn't worked.

The actual system transfer worked. It was only that saved data that at some moment was damaged or corrupted. But OP hasn't mentioned losing any other data, other than just that one that was used with the tool before. Neither if the save worked before the system transfer.

Would be as if I copied a save on the PS4 to an USB, then restore the system, them turned out out the backup save didn't worked...and blamed PlayStation Network as a service, account management and the 6 months deactivation limit for that.

Different things.

Years ago, I used to have a USB drive plugged to my 360 for my saves. Then I bought an HDD, and transferred all the saves to it. Everything seemed fine, I format the USB drive and started using it on my PC.

Later, I decide to play Super Street Fighter IV, and my save was gone. Turns out it can't be transferred.

Capcom is anti-consumer.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wait, is OP saying that once you transfer a card-based save to SD, the system transfer cannot pick that up?

Neoweee

It's like two screws. People should have used a screw driver at some point in their life

But probably not a size 0, which is one of the most dainty tools ever made. People look at their screwdrivers, take the smallest one assuming that it is size 0, and it is still wildly too big.

Very, very few people know what screwdrivers are what technical size.

fernoca

Wait, is OP saying that once you transfer a card-based save to SD, the system transfer cannot pick that up?
Nope. Saying that in this particular case it didn't worked. It otherwise works as expected. Some have mentioned that there are conflicts with Smash, Pokemon and Animal Crossing which are algo games you can't backup on the system. So it seems to be an issue isolated to those games.

To transfer the save from cartridge to digital you need the game installed on the system (and recommended to not start the digital game before that). The transfer can't be done if there's no digital game installed since is not a matter of just doing a copy of the save.

You can do backups from the menu or just by copy-pasting evetything to a PC. But that's another thing.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nope. Saying that in this particular case it didn't worked. It otherwise works as expected. Some have mentioned that there are conflicts with Smash, Pokemon and Animal Crossing which are algo games you can't backup on the system. So it seems to be an issue isolated to those games.

To transfer the save from cartridge to digital you need the game installed on the system (and recommended to not start the digital game before that). The transfer can't be done if there's no digital game installed since is not a matter of just doing a copy of the save.

You can do backups from the menu or just by copy-pasting evetything to a PC. But that's another thing.
Ok, thanks. I have a bunch of saves myself and I'd hate to lose those on my impending transfer.

Cleve

I don't know if I would call this anti-consumer. Backwards and convoluted sure. There's plenty of things to call out Nintendo as anti-consumer on, I wouldn't make it this one.

However, the process is confusing, backwards, and far worse than you experience on any other modern platform. It's midly frustrating to see the NDF jump down op's throat and blame him for not "following directions" when there's just way too many steps to accomplish something so simple. It's more complicated than it needs to be to accomplish just about anything on the 3ds.

notaskwid

Far more anticonsumer are the hoops you have to go through to recover your account if your 3ds is either broken or stolen.
Before anyone says it's just a phone call, I'm not in america and there are also plenty of people that live in places that Nintendo doesn't officially support.

Sorry if I re-direct the thread a little bit but i'm going to buy a new 3DS this week as I got the crappy circle pad/d pad glitch and the only way to fix it is to take apart and I'm not confident with these bowser size hands of mine

The only digital games I own are the nintendo ambassador games nintendo gave launch window buyers, will those transfer over with that transfer system? Or my e shop download/purchase history?

iMerc

Wii U is never going to be worth anything significant. The disc drives in them are mostly garbage too (one of mine died), they won't last as long as a cart-based N64.

lol. nonsense. out of all the hardware that exists on the current & past market, you chose to single out the one brand that actually appreciates the most over time.

the wiiU is going to be an awesome revenue source for retro collectors in a few years.
especially when you consider good working condition gamepads, and titles that have limited runs.
hell just today, games like TW101 and LCU cost a fair amount already. Project Zero, XCX bundle, & the limited edition Bayonetta bundle for ex, will def net some serious coin.
that limited edition GCN controller adaptor? if you see that in a store, grab it. that's going to be worth some serious coin in the future.

as for the OP topic, yes nintendo's infrastructure is 10years behind and incompetent in many areas, but it's not anti-consumer. 1st world privilege hyperbole imo.

levyjl1988

Banned
So I contacted Nintendo.
Here's what they said:

March 22 will have cloud based services.
I have to wait another 7 days after my system transfer to perform another system transfer.

Besides that they have no information for me. They were quite useless.

------

I performed a disk image to copy my SD card before the system transfer.
The message I get from entering the Smash Bros. 3DS app is this:

Unable to use the save data since it is not the latest data. Would you like to create new save data?

No or Ok.

I press No.

Unable to read save data. Turn the power off and back on, and try again.

-----

So I would either have to wait for the 7 days. Perform another system transfer from New 3DS XL to 3DS phat or wait for the cloud based services and see if they fix something.

Vena

So I contacted Nintendo.
Here's what they said:

I have to wait another 7 days after my system transfer to perform another system transfer.

lol...

I think you got very juicy, highly demanded info that no one knew about inadvertently.

fernoca

Sorry if I re-direct the thread a little bit but i'm going to buy a new 3DS this week as I got the crappy circle pad/d pad glitch and the only way to fix it is to take apart and I'm not confident with these bowser size hands of mine

The only digital games I own are the nintendo ambassador games nintendo gave launch window buyers, will those transfer over with that transfer system? Or my e shop download/purchase history?
Everything will transfer.
If you're getting a new3DS my recommendation would be to right before anything:

-Backup the original SD Card just in case
-Follow the instructions (you need an online connection).
-Use the PC transfer option. This is the fastest option as you only need to swap cards.

Since new3DS uses microSD Cards. During the transfer it will tell you to turnoff the unit and insert the microSD you will use to complete the transfer the next time you turn.

If you will use the included microSD you need to remove it, copy the backup you did to it and insert it back. If you already have a microSD you could just have it ready with the files. Just make sure the placements of the folders is the same.

So, if you put everything inside a folder called "3DS backup", don't include the folder called 3DS backup; but what's inside.

I transferred from 3ds to XL to New XL and never once lost a single save file. Know why? I read the instructions fully and did what it said...

That's great and all, but there is something to be said about how needlessly complex Nintendo's transfer situation is, or the fact that not following the instructions to a T can lose you your save files, or worse.

You know how I transfer everything to a new Xbox? I sign into it. I can even plug my HDD into any Xbox and use it, just like that. No steps, no risk, nothing. Same for iOS devices and I imagine (though am not positive) the PS4.

Nintendo is a 90s boy stuck in a 2016 World

After losing all my progress in MK8, twice, due to corrupted saves my new Nintendo attitude is that if I start a game I am going to finish it as soon as possible. Otherwise I just assume any progress I make will be lost due to acts of Nintendo anytime, and there is no way to prevent it.

I cannot imagine any scenario in which I will want to buy an NX really, but the kid in me hopes Nintendo can pull off something magical to make me believe again

levyjl1988

Banned
Everything transferred correctly. All my Streetpasses transferred, 3000+. All my puzzle pieces were there. My Ambassador certificate and all the games, past old notifications from 2013, etc.

The only thing not being able to be read was my Smash Bros. Save file. which to me is very important.

fernoca

Everything transferred correctly. All my Streetpasses transferred, 3000+. All my puzzle pieces were there. My Ambassador certificate and all the games, past old notifications from 2013, etc.

The only thing not being able to be read was my Smash Bros. Save file. which to me is very important.
Did the save worked on the digital copy before the transfer?

dpunk3

I bought an old Reach 360 off Ebay last Christmas (brand new unopened), transferred everything over, and then did an update. Update caused the HDD to brick, and I lost all my save data for my 100% AC Brotherhood and AC 2 run, Tales of Vesperia, RE5, FO3, Skyrim. Easily over 500 hours of data. Doesn't make Microsoft anti-consumer (if anything it makes Seagate a shit tier HDD manufacturer). Shit happens, move on and either do it again or sell the game.

Your mistake and lack of attention does not equal Nintendo being anti consumer.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Did the same last year myself. Nothing lost in my transfer either(including my Smash Bros save though I had a digital copy if that makes a diff?), not really sure what step went wrong in the process for the OP otherwise.

levyjl1988

Banned
Did the save worked on the digital copy before the transfer?

Yes. When I performed the save transfer tool on my original 3DS phat I checked my cartridge and there was nothing, no data.

I immediately opened my digital copy of Smash Bros 3DS and everything was intact, trophies, DLC characters were there. etc.

After that I copied the exact disk image of that SD card and performed the system transfer tool. Everything works except accessing Smash Bros. I don't even play online just locally with the game. :(

-Horizon-

So I contacted Nintendo.
Here's what they said:

Besides that they have no information for me. They were quite useless.

------

I performed a disk image to copy my SD card before the system transfer.
The message I get from entering the Smash Bros. 3DS app is this:

Unable to use the save data since it is not the latest data. Would you like to create new save data?

No or Ok.

I press No.

Unable to read save data. Turn the power off and back on, and try again.

-----

So I would either have to wait for the 7 days. Perform another system transfer from New 3DS XL to 3DS phat or wait for the cloud based services and see if they fix something.

WHOA

this may or may not be huge news O.O

BooJoh

It seems many others are experiencing this problem.

http://smashboards.com/threads/having-trouble-transferring-save-files-from-3ds-to-new-3ds.391133/

So if you own a digital copy of Super Smash Bros 3DS with save data and you perform a system transfer you won't be able to access your save data on the newly teansferred system.

This is absolute horse shit.

This is not true. I've transferred my digital Smash game and save data twice with no issues.

Yes, the system transfer process is needlessly complicated and Nintendo is at fault for that (and for save-protecting Smash... I guess they're afraid of people hacking their saves then going online, but they can detect that stuff anyway.)

The trick to making a system transfer go smoothly is to assume that something will go wrong if you don't take every possible precaution. This is why when I do my transfers I make sure to use the method that keeps the same SD card, and in the case of n3DS with the microSD, I upgraded my XL to a microSD before doing the transfer so I could still do the same-card transfer.

I sympathize with you OP, but outside of homebrew solutions I'm assuming you're out of luck. Every time you boot up one of these games with save protection it creates a new, unique save ID, and that save ID doesn't match the one on your save file because the game was booted up without your save file being detected. This means the IDs will never match and your save file will never load (again, unless there's a homebrew solution I'm not aware of.)

fernoca

Yes. When I performed the save transfer tool on my original 3DS phat I checked my cartridge and there was nothing, no data.

I immediately opened my digital copy of Smash Bros 3DS and everything was intact, trophies, DLC characters were there. etc.

After that I copied the exact disk image of that SD card and performed the system transfer tool. Everything works except accessing Smash Bros. I don't even play online just locally with the game. :(

Were you able to access your Smash Bros save data specifically from a digital copy?
Guess something was corrupted.

In my case I also did a system transfer last year and Smash save on the digital copy like everything else worked wonderfully.

But I've always had a digital copy. So maybe it was just that bit of data that made it not compatible.

EDIT:
Or what BooJoh posted about IDs.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dear OP, anti-consumer doesn't mean what you think it means, it definitely does not apply in the slightest in your situation.

I feel your pain tho and I'm sorry... 500 hours save lost, ouch. Won't blame you if you never touch Smash 3DS ever again, I'd loose the will too, probably.

It does on systems that save in the cloud or let you upload to the cloud.

Works fine for me on the PS ecosystem.

*if you pay a subscription

** only if your saves data don't exceed a set value

levyjl1988

Banned
Well I'm fucked.

MYPTfjd.jpg

wiSBtPM.jpg

NZVVkVJ.jpg

Q49iM1F.jpg

After reading so many threads on the internet.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/smash-bros-copy-problem.374090/

My data isn't corrupted it's that there is different IDS associated with the Smash Bros 3DS save data. Fucking bullshit.

TheJoRu

So I contacted Nintendo.
Here's what they said:

Wait, what? Someone contact customer service and ask about NX.

Anyway, that sucks OP. The situation as it is right now on the current Nintendo consoles in terms of data transfers is pretty bad. I wouldn't call it anti-consumer, that would imply they would intentionally make your experience bad to make money, which I don't think is their purpose. It's just a case of them having a bad system, that hopefully will get better soon.

Top Bottom