• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am beyond pissed at Nintendo at this point. Nintendo is anti-consumer.

jblank83

im not talking about hard drives, im talking about switching to a new system. In that case all you'd do is back up your saves to the cloud, log into your account on the new system, and redownload all your games/saves. In this case there's nearly a zero % chance of losing all your save data permanently, while with 3DS system transfers unless you're following tutorials online there's a chance you could mess something up doing it by yourself and lose everything.

Which is why you backup your saves. 3DS uses standard SD cards. I have years of saves backed up on my PC. If something goes wrong, they're easily restored.

The problem comes from protected saves on games like Animal Crossing and Smash.

lyrick

If you're swapping hard drives. Nobody is talking about swapping 3DS SD cards, they are talking about doing a system transfer. If you are "system transferring" your PS4 to a new PS4, all you do is activate your account on the new PS4 and download your shit. No initialization needed.

If you were to swap 3DS SD cards you'd have to unscrew the back panel, remove the SD card, insert into into a PC with an SD card reader, copy the contents over to the PC, insert your new SD card, copy the contents to your new SD card, and insert that into the 3DS, re-screw in the back panel, etc. Not to mention if you lost/corrupted your files somehow during the process you would not have any cloud service whatsoever with which to retrieve them.

Also, you don't have to re-download all your data, you can hookup an external USB backup that you made previous to switching your HDD and just restore it that way:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/backup.html

I still don't see how swapping the hard drive on a system with no integrated OS storage and transferring your account to a new system are comparable. Apples and oranges.

Someone forgot about the fees involved with downloading your shit on certain cloud services...

those fees actually sound a bit anti-consumer.

inner-G

Banned
Its entirely bad but it works. I dont get how that's anti consumer?¿¿??
How many digital games do you think have been 'lost' because of their online setup with kids/families trading/upgrading systems? Any other system, you just sign in and you have your stuff.

Most folks wouldn't know to keep their old serial numbers if they traded in a system, just so they could call a 800 number and wait for days to get licenses transferred.

finalflame

Someone forgot about the fees involved with downloading your shit on certain cloud services...

Back up to a USB drive, then. Nobody is forcing you to use cloud services. Let's not even get started on how Nintendo doesn't charge for online, because their online is a joke.

AEwYSohl.jpg

SO MANY BLOCKS!

I thought this was going to be about locking content behind amiibos or making LE's so limited no one can get them except scalpers.

Don't go digital with Nintendo.

I was trying to make a system transfer from 3DS to N3DSXL, and it turns out I have to open the back of the lid in the New XL to change the SD card. And the thing just wont come off no matter how hard I pull. I stopped after I saw it had been slightly dented. Nintendo is so incompetent.

I love their games but I can't stop thinking how much easier (and cheaper) it would be if they went PC-only. Not that that would happen, but one can dream.

lyrick

Back up to a USB drive, then. Nobody is forcing you to use cloud services. Let's not even get started on how Nintendo doesn't charge for online, because their online is a joke.

Protected saves can't be backed up. IIRC, I lost my Demon's Souls saves when my PS3 YloD'd

Let's also not talk about other console online services that charge for multiplayer access, and are still a fucking joke.

So you can't back up smash 3ds saves?
You would have to do a backup every time you finish playing in order to keep a working backup thanks to the booby trap.

I think the save data backup option is disabled for this game for that reason (though if you delete the game it should make the save data backup or prompt you to make one and that works just fine as the only way to use that save is to download the game again) but there is nothing stopping you copying over 2GB each time you play as long as you can remember which hexadecimal folder it resides in :( (more convenient on n3DS with the wireless file transfer...unless it hides those folders)

My answer would be is yes but fairly impractical.

I don't get why Smash is a protected save though. Is Sakurai really worried about people save scumming trophy roulette or something? Things like Pokemon and Animal Crossing are protected due to item duplication otherwise.

How many digital games do you think have been 'lost' because of their online setup with kids/families trading/upgrading systems? Any other system, you just sign in and you have your stuff.

Most folks wouldn't know to keep their old serial numbers if they traded in a system, just so they could call a 800 number and wait for days to get licenses transferred.

I said it was bad. But if you just follow the instructions it works. I dont consider that anti consumer. Just fucking poor infrastructure.

Koeta

The Nintendo fanboys will come out of the woodwork to defend them, but it's true that Nintendo does shit like this poorly, Sony and Microsoft are way ahead when it comes to the Digital Future.

Here's hoping they step it up for the NX.

Vuze

Haha, people in this thread defending the shitty, unnecessary "system transfer" thing they created. Because you know, why not make digital purchases account based and limit the amount of uses to 1 or 2 consoles like PSN.
bububut they are doing it now with Nintendo Account! Yeah, we'll see about that one plus 3DS/WiiU are still caught in the current clusterfuck

Sorry for your loss, OP; I also lost a 300h+ save for MH once. The way they "handle" savestates is really one of the top reasons for me (apart from regionlock) to use CFW on my console. I really hope they come up with a reasonable system for NX.

Don't forget the pikmin carrying the blocks across the screen haha

I had 14.6GB on the card so I used a PC to transfer it. If I had to use local wireless I would have been there all afternoon and night.

Funny thing, the old SDHC card was class 10 and took 20 minutes to pull the data off. The new SDXC card was U3 and took all of 6 minutes to write the data back. I love the new card.

Vena

I dunno. My guess is because they can display usage using only integers making it easier for kids.

Just some outdated units of measurements. Nintendo doesn't even use them anymore, as the Wii U lists straight MB and GB sizes.

lol, why do they do shit like this? I've always kinda barely wondered.

SD cards are "block storage". That's why its called a block. It is simply nomenclature for the storage medium, Nintendo chose to represent the storage value (and the size of games) based on block representation.

Ridley327

"Blocks" are the standard unit of measurement for SD cards.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12215785_sd-card-block-sizes.html

SD cards are "block storage". That's why its called a block. It is simply nomenclature for the storage medium, Nintendo chose to represent the storage value (and the size of games) based on block representation.

I'm aware of that, but Nintendo is the only company I know of that bothers to use it as a user-facing unit of measurement. Plug that same SD card into a phone or a camera, and you're going to see MBs or GBs instead.

Aroll

I think that compared to many of their direct competitors, they are relatively pro consumer. I would attribute these kind of failings more to them being incompetent in certain areas, extremely conservative and insular, and relying on inflexible infrastructure that is broadly designed to make things easier for parents but is actually unfit for purpose.

I don't think we can expect any changes for this stuff on their current platforms, but I sincerely hope they address this stuff for NX (and there is plenty of evidence to suggest they might).

Nintendo has some systematic flaws. Nintendo Account seems to be their long haul attempt to remedy the issues that currently plague this generation of systems and even the entire premise of Nintendo Network ID.

However, anti-consumer is a mindset with the goal of generating the most profits over consumer friendlieness. It's not typically due to incompetence.

There system flaws with transfers and digital are incompetence. Being anti-consumer would go way beyond these issues. You can argue them not dropping prices on games is anti consumer. You can argue them offering all their online services for free is pro consumer. There are checkboxes on both sides. However, their terrible way of handeling system transfers and storing of digital saves and games isn't necessarily intentional. They just had no idea what they were doing when they decided to dive into the account based/online world. Nintendo Account - at least from the few details we know, seems to remedy a lot of this on their future platforms.

cj_iwakura

I don't see nearly as many threads bitching about the account practices of their competitors.

They're not without their flaws, but they aren't missing obvious things like Nintendo, and they don't region lock their hardware. Nintendo can make every improvement in the world, but until they fix that, they're still dead last in my book.

Have we gone back to last gen with the comparisons now? There are no protected saves on PS4 or Vita.
Last gen was only a couple of years ago and it was a legitimate problem, and still is if you use/own a PS3.

The only digital game I've ever lost was from the PS3. Grandia just disappeared from my purchase, never to be seen again. My PS4 has to be put on top of a book otherwise the little rubber piece on the bottom forces discs to automatically eject at random, leaving my system open to corrupting the HDD during auto saves or some other processes.
Sony is anti consumer confirmed.

L.O.R.D

So, the PSP and PS Vita and all mobile phones in the world that we sing SD card for Storage, they servicing mb and GB?

jblank83

If you're swapping hard drives. Nobody is talking about...

I was talking about transferring content. More than that, I was talking about transferring everything about a system, not just save games. I guess a more appropriate comparison would be a smartphone. If I upgraded a mobile phone I'd probably have to read some instructions and spend a lot of time figuring out how to transfer content:
https://support.apple.com/en-la/HT201269

If I directed a 70 year old or a 7 year old to that page, I wouldn't be surprised if they failed to correctly transfer their iOS content. My point being that system transfers take some level of learning and understanding technical processes, contrary to the arguments presented earlier in the topic. Beyond that my point was, in a large overview, the 3DS system transfer is decent. It completely transfers everything about the system (settings, accounts, software, saves, even where all your icons and folders are). It's slow, but it's complete.

The major problems come from, as stated multiple times, tying accounts to hardware. That's a frustrating problem, I agree. I don't know what Nintendo was thinking there. Maybe it was a hack/crack deterrent. Maybe it was anti-consumer, e.g. ensuring that one purchase was limited to one device. Neither case makes much sense, but I can't think of a reason that really justifies it.

As for "cloud" saves, it's not feasible on 3DS. It's old and limited hardware. The core of its operating system seems to be based on the ancient DS OS, which is why so many functions are so obtuse. I'm surprised it has as many features as it does, tbqh. Maybe they could have implemented it solely for New 3DS, but I'm sure they're focused on NX, not on implementing major new features in old hardware.

Sadly, protected saves, like those of the TC, are a victim of these limitations. Hopefully he's in contact with some of the people who offered to help him recover his data.

finalflame

This topic is about bitching in regards to losing a protected save on a 5 year old platform.

This topic is clearly about bitching about Nintendo. Just look at the title. And that 5 year old platform is still current gen for Nintendo. Vita is still current gen for Sony handhelds. PS4 is current gen for Sony home consoles. WiiU is current gen for Nintendo home consoles.

Last gen was only a couple of years ago and it was a legitimate problem, and still is if you use/own a PS3.

The only digital game I've ever lost was from the PS3. Grandia just disappeared from my purchase, never to be seen again. My PS4 has to be put on top of a book otherwise the little rubber piece on the bottom forces discs to automatically eject at random, leaving my system open to corrupting the HDD during auto saves or some other processes.
Sony is anti consumer confirmed.

Yes but we're comparing current generation systems. Nintendo didn't exactly do any different or better on WiiU. In fact, the WiiU didn't have the ability to do system transfers AT ALL until nearly 2 years after it released.

Never had any of these issues with PS4, and I've owned 3 of them now. Did you call Sony when it started happening? There are issues with faulty 3DS and WiiU's too, you know.

I was talking about transferring content. More than that, I was talking about transferring everything about a system, not just save games. I guess a more appropriate comparison would be a smartphone. If I upgraded a mobile phone I'd probably have to read some instructions and spend a lot of time figuring out how to transfer content:
https://support.apple.com/en-la/HT201269

If I directed a 70 year old or a 7 year old to that page, I wouldn't be surprised if they failed to correctly transfer their iOS content. My point being that system transfers take some level of learning and understanding technical processes, contrary to the arguments presented earlier in the topic. Beyond that my point was, in a large overview, the 3DS system transfer is decent. It completely transfers everything about the system (settings, accounts, software, saves, even where all your icons and folders are). It's slow, but it's complete.

The major problems come from, as stated multiple times, tying accounts to hardware. That's a frustrating problem, I agree. I don't know what Nintendo was thinking there. Maybe it was a hack/crack deterrent. Maybe it was anti-consumer, e.g. ensuring that one purchase was limited to one device. Neither case makes much sense, but I can't think of a reason that really justifies it.

As for "cloud" saves, it's not feasible on 3DS. It's old and limited hardware. The core of its operating system seems to be based on the ancient DS OS, which is why so many functions are so obtuse. I'm surprised it has as many features as it does, tbqh. Maybe they could have implemented it solely for New 3DS, but I'm sure they're focused on NX, not on implementing major new features in old hardware.

Sadly, protected saves, like those of the TC, are a victim of these limitations. Hopefully he's in contact with some of the people who offered to help him recover his data.

To transfer all the contents of a PS4 to a new PS4, you backup the data to a USB drive then restore it on your new PS4, along with your activated account, which literally just takes putting in your PSN username and password. You don't need to move the internal hard drive over to the new system and reinstall the OS. You don't need to have both systems hooked up at the same time.

The issue is not 7 year olds and 70 year olds. The issue is Nintendo's system of tying accounts to hardware is convoluted and archaic and nobody should be defending it, or implying that the process is as obtuse or anti-consumer on modern consoles like the PS4 and XBO. Sony and Microsoft are miles ahead of Nintendo in this regard, and, well, pretty much every other regard.

I don't understand your comment on cloud saves. All a cloud save/download is on the client side is uploading a file (save game file) to a remote store on a datacenter somewhere.

die-cut-stickers.png

How exactly is the 3DS' hardware limiting it from uploading or downloading files? Further, Nintendo has full control over the 3DS' software. If they were so inclined, they could easily include cloud saves. Cloud saving/restoring is not a hardware intensive process, nor is it one that's technically complex enough to elude the engineers are Nintendo. To say they couldn't possibly figure out cloud saves on the 3DS would surely be an insult to their engineers. They simply have not prioritized it.

Chorazin

All you have to do is read a bunch of tutorials and partially disassemble your system - it's easy!

Whaaaaaat? The damn thing tells you what to do when you do the transfer. Do you really feel that losening two screws and popping off the back is partially disassembling it? Hell I do thst every week when I change faceplates on my N3DS, takes two seconds and poses no threat of damaging the system.

If you follow the steps it's easy to do and doesn't take much time.

Just to clarify so I and others don't make the same mistake, what did you do wrong in the process?

Sounds like he did the save transfer from the cart to the system and then did the system transfer to the new system without buying the software, downloading it and importing the save. When the transfer happened it didn't know what to do with the unassigned save.

Could have been avoided by waiting for the system transfer to complete, and then doing the save transfer and downloading the game.

b3b0p

If I go out and buy a New 3DS will my original 3DS Ambassador games transfer as well? Has there been an insight into the new account system they announced on doing this going forward?

Montresor

No, this is about save games. Signing into an account doesn't magically transfer your save games anywhere.

Haha it does on PS4 and XB1.

Nintendo's backward account system, DRM system, dlc management and save file management are why I'm not really into their consoles anymore.

I'm guessing you don't play on any Sony or Microsoft consoles?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Does Microsoft still require Gold for cloud saving? That was my biggest beef with that back when I had an Xbox...once your sub goes away so does the cloud saving.

Ultima_5

It's an old system and there's a bunch of instructions online on how to do everything. I don't see why people fuck it up so much. Hopefully their next system is better.

I remember people stripping screws on their new 3ds systems doing the transfer. That was pretty embarrassing to read

jblank83

I don't understand your comment on cloud saves. All a cloud save/download is on the client side is... They simply have not prioritized it.

Everything else is reiteration or re-arguing.

As for this, I'm talking about extensibility, the ability to quickly, (relatively) painlessly add modules or functionality to a software.

The 3DS operating system seems based on the ancient fragmented DS OS. For instance, going into system settings is a completely separate mode. The DS's system settings menu is encapsulated as well. We know that 3DS BC is accomplished by downclocking and essentially being a DS. Given how disconnected many 3DS features are, how the system boots into separate modes for system settings and even some sub-settings, I'm guessing it's not built with extensibility in mind. Rather it's embedded software built to operate efficiently on lean RAM/CPU resources.

Examples of this are:
- Clunky software patches
- Can't exit the eShop until everything on a page loads
- Theme Shop separate boot

So implementing "cloud" saves wouldn't just be a couple lines of code. They haven't prioritized it, you're right. That's exactly what I said as well. They're probably prioritizing NX.

Oersted

I agree.. Im sure Nintendo would love to have Sony/MS's competence in the digital and online space

Their new online services in cooperation with DeNa are rolling out. And the standards are Google and Apple. Than comes MS,than Sony, than Nintendo.

Neoweee

It's an old system and there's a bunch of instructions online on how to do everything. I don't see why people fuck it up so much. Hopefully their next system is better.

I remember people stripping screws on their new 3ds systems doing the transfer. That was pretty embarrassing to read

People screw it up because they've never had to do it before. And a size 0 screwdriver is not a standard tool everybody has.

Whaaaaaat? The damn thing tells you what to do when you do the transfer. Do you really feel that losening two screws and popping off the back is partially disassembling it? Hell I do thst every week when I change faceplates on my N3DS, takes two seconds and poses no threat of damaging the system.

If you follow the steps it's easy to do and doesn't take much time.
While a number of the complaints are valid I am just reminded of the shouting about friend codes with how exaggerated the problem is (it's the same problem, a less convenient solution than the competition=terrible stuck in stoneage bullshit
how can anyone defend this crap you must be drunk on the kool aid or not even play the competition you delusional Nintendrone
).

Sounds like he did the save transfer from the cart to the system and then did the system transfer to the new system without buying the software, downloading it and importing the save. When the transfer happened it didn't know what to do with the unassigned save.

Could have been avoided by waiting for the system transfer to complete, and then doing the save transfer and downloading the game.
I was under the impression you specifically needed to own a digital copy of the game in question to use that save transfer tool at all in which case that wouldn't be it either.

I would check but I just booted up the save transfer tool and...it doesn't have a manual...and requires me to be connected to the internet? (I only have the tool on my spare 3DS which is strictly offline due having the previous owners NNID...I should really dump ticket.db so I can forget about it)

If I go out and buy a New 3DS will my original 3DS Ambassador games transfer as well? Has there been an insight into the new account system they announced on doing this going forward?
Ambassador games transfer just fine. Everything transfers, no picking and choosing. Do note transferring to a New 3DS means you can't transfer to a 2DS, 3DS or 3DS XL only New 3DS or New 3DS XL (my guess is it is to stop you doing something like buying Xenoblade 3D, transferring to 2DS and trying to run it there...it's daft).

As for insight. It isn't really clear where Nintendo accounts come in. Some see it as the end of NNID for some reason while others see it as some sort of bridge to non-Nintendo systems combined with various services (eShop coupons, reward scheme, cloud saves...worryingly the cloud saves examples were the idea of being a bridge between mobile and Nintendo platforms rather than a save backup solution :( ).

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That reminds me of the SEGA Dreamcast.

Aww you forgot the famicom disk system:
http://nfggames.com/games/FamicomDiskSystem/10
6 C-cell batteries it needed. But at least it came with an RF extension cable...priories there :S

The early Dreamcast GD-ROM drives by Yamaha are actually pretty good, it's the Samsung ones that tend to be trash, like mine. Some early JP 98'/'99 and launch '99 Dreamcasts in NA and I think EU had heatpipes too but I guess they found it was unnecessary.

As for Wii U I'd say it remains to be seen. It's a pretty solid-looking Panasonic part and the GC disc drive was nigh indestructible, with the Wii disc drive sometimes being good too, though this is anecdotal but reports of smoking in particular seemed to kill the dual-layer functionality of the disc drive.

Here's Wii U:

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/ULdJ11ZBBr1iUp4K

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pcper-articlecontent/wiiuteardown/IMG_8548.JPG

Edit: Holy crap these pics are huge I'll make them links.

Weighs about a pound and is self-contained. Let's give it a few years, mine isn't quiet but it has caused no problems. Call Nintendo anti-consumer if you want (and I'd agree with you) but I don't think they've been too bad with disc drives.

As for the disc system, yeah that's a good point. The original model Famciom's AC adapter WAS included though but the 6 C batteries were in case a set of plugs were already in use and could last a few months according to Wikipedia. Sort of neat.

fernoca

Like any company they could be anti-consumer for many things, but this is not one of them.

Anti-consumer would've been an issue with all licences and OP not being able to use them after transfer and calling Nintendo just to be told "tough luck".

But here it was just a disappointing outcome on this particular game during a process.

I should also mention that OP didn't performed any "weird steps". The save data transfer tool between cartridges and digital games works only if there is a digital version of the same game installed. And if the transfer was done as he says and no prompts popped saying that it wasn't allowed, then the transfer was done succesfully; despite the fact that you can't transfer the individual save of it from the menu. You can't transfer from cartridge to digital without a digital version installed, it just doesn't allow it.

And I also don't know why many are jumping into the usual "lol Nintendo accounts" deal. This has nothing to do with the OP. In this case it was close to when PS4 users notice that their saves never backedup to the cloud and lost saves because of that. An user assuming things would work smoothly but because of some error not working.

It has nothing to do with "proper accounts" or licences or anything; neither is anti-consumer.

Lothars

Splatoon however... content barren, even at launch? No. Plus, as you mentioned, there was a free update schedule in place.

Because they're not totally legit. Should the whole stuff be easier? Of course! Did OP make his life needlessly hard by doing weird steps in a weird order? Definitely. Is any of this "anti-consumer?" Fuck no lol.
Splatoon is a perfect example of barren content at launch esepcially with locked disc based content for 3 months, OP followed the steps from Nintendo's own youtube channel, He did nothing wrong but it may not be anti consumer, it's still a bad system nintendo has in place for it.

I'm not ready to call Nintendo "anti-consumer" but their digital practices on 3DS and Wii U are pretty awful. I'm really, really hoping NX is a massive improvement.

Or just use a free one like google drive and you get 5-15gb free depending on the service. Google drive gives you 15gb fyi. Steam is also a free service with ample cloud space.

Top Bottom