• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am completely confused now on what looks "next gen" and what not.

Esppiral

We just need real world physics and fluids simulations used widely, that would make me scream next gen, I am tired of cardboard dust and shader based water and smoke.

We just need real world physics and fluids simulations used widely, that would make me scream next gen, I am tired of cardboard dust and shader based water and smoke.
I just want smoother NPC animations. The way they run on a straight path then jutter right or left and continue on another straight trajectory bothers me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I wish people would stop talking about this diminishing returns crap. When you compare the end of generation to the start, there is always a leap in quality.
Do people really think Naughty Dogs final game on the PS5 will look like TLOU2? No it will look like a game designed for the PS6, with whatever graphical improvements you can imagine. Which you can't imagine because 7 or 8 years ago one could imagine what TLOU2 would look like.

The biggest leap happens between generation jumps though. Game visuals will slowly improve from 2021-2028 but it's a much smaller jump as well as more gradual. We also have to consider that PC graphics will outshine everything on next gen consoles in 2028.

There are a couple things at play here IMO. Also to preface when I mention generations I am leaving PC out of the conversation as traditional generations don't exist there.
1. Power wise we aren't looking at a huge jump like we were in previous generational jumps. In simple terms, people are expecting too much.
2. I think some people based a lot off of a 1080p low bitrate stream. Even going back and watching the 4K uploads on the PlayStation YouTube channel makes a big difference.
3. Ray Tracing. I don't think some people even really realize what ray tracing is when they see it. The ray tracing in the GT and Ratchet trailers isn't really possible on current gen. It took me a couple times of watching RT comparison videos to really notice the differences outside of side by sides.
4. Checkerboard Rendering. The refresh consoles and more specifically PS4P use checkerboarding to great effect, where as I mention below the difference between native 4K on X, and checkerboarding on Pro isn't huge. Next gen jump to native 4k won't be as noticeable due to this.

It's actually sort of similar to current gen with XBO X vs PS4 Pro comparisons. Side by side you can see a difference, but if one can't go back and forth very quickly on a otherwise identical image it's a lot harder to notice the differences. In the present day we aren't really going to see the jump from 5th-6th gen, or even 6th-7th gen with the jump to "HD".

MP!

the reality of it is that we aren't going to see anything really look much better for a few years

It wasn't until bloodborne on ps4 when I finally conceded to next gen being better looking. that was almost 2 years in

compound that with the fact that it's little details we'll be getting now in stead of full on graphical overhauls like we used to get with past gen jumps.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
I think it's quite clear why games don't "look" next gen. We've had games with great character models, or linear games with great graphics like The Order 1866. However, it was also quite clear what the limitations are in those games in order to achieve great models and graphics. The Order 1866 is fairly lineair, with a static world and cut resolution.

Now imagine if an open world game for next gen is announced with dynamic weather, dynamic TOD and interacteable environments, but doesn't look much better than The Order. People will say that it's not next gen , but completely ignore all the additional things. To summarize I think next gen is going to look better than current gen, without having the drawbacks that current gen games had to achieve great graphics. Next gen in my opinion is a leap in scale and IQ across the board.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I mean, I don't know what were the expectations people had, but seeing the complexity in the environments in Horizon 2, the Square Enix game and Demon's Souls (the intro is real time afaik), it was honestly really impressive to me, my jaw dropped when I saw those in 4K.

Of course, the increase in GPU is not as great as it was in the PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 generations, but that's a bit unrealistic now, since fabrication process improvements are much harder nowadays, but it was amazing what can be achieved with a ~2070 Super as a baseline plus that super fast SSD and much better CPU.

Sign

I played N64 > Ps2 > Ps360 on a 13" box tv that required me to go through a VCR because the tv only took a coaxial cable. There was no confusing Metal Gear Solid 2 for an N64 game, or Bioshock for a Ps2 title. Later, I got an HD tv (2010), and the difference between Ps3 and Ps4 was also very apparent, but in no way reliant on the tv.

If we are at the point where the differences require 4k to really appreciate then it feels like we have hit the first real moment of diminishing returns. Personally, I'm fine with that because now developers can focus on things like AI, image density, etc.

Top Bottom