• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am finding Xenoblade extremely tedious and repetitive

If you've seen an Ocean's movie you know everything that's going to happen in Persona 5. That game is full of every heist story cliche in the book, which is fine, but lobbing cliche as a criticism at Xenoblade while propping up P5 is pretty funny. And hell, P5's ending is the exact same as about twenty other SMT games. I predicted the final boss a year before even playing the game lol.

Good to know you got so salty about my post you felt the need to say that.

But you don't need to grind in that game

The only quests you need to do are the ones with actual names rather than generic quest name given by a nameless npc with a number next to it. The worlds are so big that you can spend an obscene amount of time on those quests compared to simply following the story. Like over half the content of the game are things you can miss if you rush through it, I don't get the restriction complaint.

Tbh the battle system is actually broken but that mostly matters for beating the post game bosses, basically if you want to do this you'll need a lot of grinding and crafting. Other than that you get xp/rewards for absolutely anything in that game so that's how it sort of negates the overall repetitive gameplay. The main appeal of the game is that it's a good old jrpg with an epic story but they actually bothered to make a fully realized 3D world with lots of sidequests unlike most other jrpgs of that time. Just don't force yourself do to tedious stuff, go through the story, go out of your way a bit if the location seems interesting

britt0n

Neo Member
i felt very similar to OP, and put it down after a few days, i couldn't gel with the MMO nature. not a fault on the game, just my playing style. i've been meaning to go back to it on 3DS.

Where was I being salty? I actually did predict it back in 2015:

Wait a second...you predicted that a villainous god would be the big bad in Persona 5? Like every Persona game?! You prophet!

On topic: Xenoblade is a really good game that didn't catch on for me until about midway through. Completely worth the ride.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
In my <admittedly limited> experience with EB, I feel like you'd be significantly underpowered for many battles without grinding. I played it somewhat recently and I don't feel like that's a crazy sentiment. Anyone else wanna weigh in?

I also don't see how not having a penalty for death somehow helps you get stronger and win battles for which you are ill equipped. But I'm no EB expert so I admit I could very well be wrong.

Im gonna back you up on this, I experienced the same, there is a grind, mostly in the beginning.

I've picked this game up again recently, after playing about 35 hours back when it came out on 3DS and putting it down when Witcher 3 came out. Obviously not the best way to appreciate a game, but I at least feel like I'm getting back into the swing of things.

I don't know if I'm going to stick with it to the end, but I'll see how I go. Right now I'm just coasting along through a lot of story stuff, but I feel like if I hit a wall with a really hard bossfight or something I could drop it. The combat is that weird balance where if everything's going well I feel fine, but when things start to tip the other way I end up dying really quickly and not knowing why or what I could have done differently. The feedback is pretty poor, and the UI is kind of a mess on the tiny 3DS screen. Sometimes the 'switch target' buttons just don't do anything, and not having any direct control over my other party members makes me feel like I just have to hope for the best sometimes.

The Affinity stuff, skill links and inventory management/gem-equipping are basically inscrutable to someone with only vague memories of being tutorialised about them two years ago, too :p

Gattsu25

Banned
Well for example i had a quest where i had to collect 5 pagnes for a lady. I had to chain kill giants in the jungle for 30 minutes. The restriction i am talking about is not that much about restriction in space, thatn about what you can do to raise your team freely. Maybe i got used too much about games with second quests which had a complex plot, but yes the nature of the quest reminded me about my few months in WoW.

In areas there are generally monsters around your level, and a few monsters way too too high levelled for you, but there does not seem, mostof times, to be an in between.(eg an area with level 35-39 monsters, and a fews level 80+ monsters, but once you get above level 39, you are kind of forced to focus on main quest again)
Assuming you are talking about Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, just avoid the sidequests entirely. Most of them aren't worth the effort and it's not worth doing them all to find the gems in the rough.

You might actually prefer Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U. It's an actual open world ga!e where the exploration and traversal and very fun. I played it like I played Crackdown, just having a fun time jumping all over there massive levels just for the fun of it. I love that game. Just know that the music in X is ~trash~

The moat fun part of XC's combat is mixing and matching gem abilities, arts and character combos to test out interesting play styles. A lot of the AI complaints in that game I find weird given if you are building your party meter quickly you get chain attacks in which you get direct control over the most crucial damage output mechanic in the game. Unless you really really need to heal or you have Melia in your party the AI is ostly fine. You can is so mix and match on abilities and playstyles you will never get AI to do exactly what you want.

The last third of the story is stupid as fuck. People saying ignore the nameless NPCs and only do the named stuff forget that you have to level up the affinity of the region you are in to get more named quests which makes doing the nameless stuff necessary. There are some really good named quests especially in the back half of the game. XCX has better side quest stuff. Better written. More varried, gets to the point quicker. Exploration is good in XC though it's better in X though these games would benefit to an extent from not having all equipment be from drops.

If you aren't constantly playing around with your party you will def find this game boring. but when you get those massive ass chain attacks going and start coming up with cool engagement strategies based off of your currrent team and gems the game gets good. You do need to upgrade colony 6 to level 2 and get the portable gem making machine. Gem crafting is key.

PKrockin

Xenoblade is a lot more enjoyable when you realize that there's no reason for all the tedious checklist sidequests the NPCs give you. I accepted all of them and forgot about them. If I happened to complete one of them, cool, free EXP. If I didn't feel like progressing the story I explored the huge world and fought super bosses. There's a lot of cool little scenic views and hidden crannies to find, and you get experience for finding them.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Xenoblade has a lot of issues that are ignored because people liked the story. Funny enough X fixed some of them but people tried to play it in the same way as Xenoblade and complain to this day about it. I think Xenoblade X should have been called anything but Xenoblade for the people who can't see beyond a name.

But if you look beyond the story Xenoblade is rather average. Still the story makes it very worth to play.

- Play as other characters, not just Shulk.
- Remove Sharla from your team as soon as you get four characters
- Accept every sidequest; don't go out of your way to complete any of them
- For most characters, you want less weight instead of higher defense. Dodge tanking is way better than just tanking, and it helps your ability to land hits as well
- Don't forget the Skill Trees and Skill Tree Linking
- Spear Break + Starlight Kick
- If you have Melia in your party, you have to be the one controlling her. Her AI is garbage
- Don't bother forging gems until you have level 3 crystals. The gains aren't worth the time.
- Feel the flow of battle
- If you have to grind, you're playing the game wrong. Change your gear, Arts, skills, and/or party instead. No really, if you're grinding, you're doing something wrong.
- You mustn't be careless.

Have fun!

tbm24

I felt this way about Xenoblade X on the Wii U. I was super into it early on then it just dragged on for me and the mechs didn't do yeh for me to stay with it. I would like to go back to it at some point, though I'm positive I'll be lost instantly when I do.

Gilzor

I was wondering if anyone had played this (and completed it) on 3DS only, and if they felt that was a worthwhile experience? I don't have a Wii (or WiiU) so 3DS would be the only route for me. Is it still good on the platform?

Also, if I do jump in, won't ignoring side quests and just concentrating on the story and exploration hinder my levelling, or is it not one of those kinds of RPG where that matters?

Copper

i paid full price, played 30 hours, and never got access to a mech. Combat was bad, writing was worse, and character design was the worst - thankfully helmets existed.

I think what made XCX worse for me was the fact the game felt TOO massive. Like it threw way to many mechanics at you at once and it became overwhelming. I spent probably a good 5-8 hours trying to figure out how things work..

XC on the other hand gradually introduced to you mechanics and opened the world up. I much preferred the set characters and story in the first one as well which is why I'm glad XC2 seems to also be going that route.

I was wondering if anyone had played this (and completed it) on 3DS only, and if they felt that was a worthwhile experience? I don't have a Wii (or WiiU) so 3DS would be the only route for me. Is it still good on the platform?

best way to experience it is on Dolphin emulator with the HD texture pack imo

Top Bottom