• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought a new PSP! So where are all these great RPGs people are talking about?

Grinchy

Banned
TheSeks said:
I don't mind not having the audio cues for the animals and getting my ass kicked and learning from that, but having a two second window for "well-done" meat was stupid and made me give up on the series.
I've only played Freedom Unite so far, so maybe these features only apply to it, but there is a visual cue for when a steak has hit well-done. Also, you can have your felyne cooks cook your raw meat for you.

*edit: beaten

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Zierath said:
You do know you can make the cats cook your meat for you right?

I may have to give it another chance then. I only got 1-2 hunts in, saw that you were pretty much required to cook the meat yourself and gave up on the stupid window timing.

inner-G

Banned
pMObn.jpg

Negator

Chacranajxy said:
I like anime, but bad RPGs tend to take all of anime's worst traits and feature them prominently. The NIS effect.

I don't think that's a totally fair generalization, but you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

True, Star Ocean 3 was riddled with some terrible anime tropes that definitely gave that game some noticeable flaws, but the game ended up being my favorite game in the PS2 library because the gameplay mechanics were so deep and rewarding when you really knew what you were doing.

You didn't even like Star Ocean 2?

You should really give Ys: Oath in Felghana a shot. That game is excellent.

Orayn

TheSeks said:
I tried both Monster Hunter Portable 1-2, and couldn't get into them. On one hand: the terrible camera/lack of a right-stick controlled camera was hard. On the other, audio cues for preparing meat for someone disabled like me, killed the aspect of the game. I don't mind not having the audio cues for the animals and getting my ass kicked and learning from that, but having a two second window for "well-done" meat was stupid and made me give up on the series.
Meat should be the least of your concerns, friend. You can make energy drinks for stamina, or just have your Felynes in the kitchen cook your meat for you. Monster Hunter is full of little things like that, though. It is not a series for people who can't put up with small, but persistent annoyances.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Y2Kev said:
Wild arms xf

Yes!

GhaleonQ said:
Cladun/Classic Dungeon

YES x 100!! One of the most overlooked PSP games, so addictive once you get into it. :)

And to the OP, I didn't see you list FFT for PSP, although the way you put it, seems like you played the original. If you really like FFT, you should check it out on PSP. The translation alone makes a big difference in my opinion (and the slowdown never bothered me, at least).

bengraven

I reallllly wish there were more WRPGs on PSP.

That said, I actually enjoyed the first Untold Tales: it was a capable Diablo clone until I realized there were only three armor sets that keep repeating over and over again and you never really leave the small, dead city you start in.

I'll just second the recommendations for all the Falcom/XSEED games and Half-Minute Hero. Of what I've played, they're the cream of the crop. Z.H.P. too, but since you unfortunately don't get NIS's style of humor you might not like that one.

RiderKairuu said:
This thread has inspired me to get Legend of Heroes..

This thread has been a success then. (Assuming you're talking about Trails in the Sky, of course.)

Given what you like/hate, you can't go wrong with the following:

1. Tactics Ogre.
2. Valkyria Chronicles 2.
3. Anything developed by Nihon Falcom (Legend of Heroes, Ys, Gurumin)
4. Almost anything published by Aksys, Atlus, or XSEED.

Actually...pretty much what Dark Schala and others have already said. =\

And since games like Disgaea aren't your cup of tea, avoid NISA titles in general; Those SRPGs are really more about breaking/exploiting game mechanics to insane stat levels. Also, be mindful of anything developed by Idea Factory; Those games tend of have good ideas but not-so-hot execution.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Negator said:
I don't think that's a totally fair generalization, but you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

True, Star Ocean 3 was riddled with some terrible anime tropes that definitely gave that game some noticeable flaws, but the game ended up being my favorite game in the PS2 library because the gameplay mechanics were so deep and rewarding when you really knew what you were doing.

You didn't even like Star Ocean 2?

You should really give Ys: Oath in Felghana a shot. That game is excellent.

Yeah I'm definitely planning to get Seven and Oath. And maybe I and II if it's not too archaic. I was thinking about getting the turbografx versions a couple years ago but I know the psp version is supposed to be definitive.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'll also recommend Trails in the Sky and the Ys games.

Chronicles is good fun, but it is pretty old school. Especially Ys I, that's why XSeed included a guide for the game in the back of the manual. Ys II is better in that regard, but the gameplay is still pretty dated. Chronicles was my introduction to Ys and I loved it, but it's understandable that some people might find it archaic. (And the music is incredible, especially in Ys II.)

Most of the other PSP games I have are PS1 ports or have already been mentioned or disregarded. This thread also reminded me I need to keep looking for a sale on Tactics Ogre.

teiresias

If I want to try out an Ys game, which is the best one to get started with?

[EDIT] As I was typing the reply above appeared!!!!! Magic!!!!

teiresias said:
If I want to try out an Ys game, which is the best one to get started with?

[EDIT] As I was typing the reply above appeared!!!!! Magic!!!!

I started with Oath in Felghana and would recommend that. It's a fun, fast, fluid experience.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bengraven said:
I reallllly wish there were more WRPGs on PSP.

Given how clunky and buggy they can be at times, WRPGs can tick to PC.

Unless you mean Diablo-clones, in which case: YES PLZ.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Cwarrior said:
You where fooled most the rpgs are just ports of olds games.

http://www.psu.com/media/half-minute-hero-PSP/half-minute-hero-PSP-ss-41.JPG[IMG]
This is the one worth owning[/QUOTE]

Half Minute Hero is a simple amazing experience that you cannot get from any other game. The gameplay itself is enough to draw you in, but the story and world are surprisingly rich.

StuBurns

Banned
Monster_Kingdom_Jewel_Summoner-s0.jpg

Only played a few hours, I'll get back to it, but I already like it more than any of it's platform peers.

If we extend to Action-RPGs, then...

34428_kingdom_hearts_birth_by_sleep.jpg

Ken

How's Crimson Gem Saga and Hexyz Force? Thinking about picking up one if the PSN store comes up tomorrow.

yeah if we're just counting traditional turn based jrpg as we know them from ps1-ps2 days, it's pretty limited outside of remake or port. but there's a lot of action rpg and srpg.

Crisis Core
3rd Birthday
KH BBS
Ys 3,6 and 7
LOH TiTs
Tactics Ogre
30 sec hero
Cladun
Wild Arms XF
Gurumin
VC2
Tales of the world

I'm sure there are more that I missed

atomsk

Party Pooper
Dark Schala said:
Zierath said:
Get Trails in the Sky, ASAP.
Ratrat said:
FTH said:
RiderKairuu said:
This thread has inspired me to get Legend of Heroes..
chaosblade said:
I'll also recommend Trails in the Sky
Callibretto said:
Peff said:
Trails of the Sky
KAL2006 said:
Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU MUST DO! GO FORTH AND BUY NEW!

I just want to say that those who are going to play Trails to know that the atmosphere and mood is light and charming. so don't go into it expecting dark, depressing, heavy atmosphere. the game have a very optimistic and positive tone to it. it's more similar to Lunar than FF, Xenogears, or Suikoden. on the other hand, you got a bunch or interesting character with genuinely funny dialog for it. and near the ending, the game does promise a grander more epic, potentially darker storyline for the upcoming sequel.

just want to warn people because having the wrong expectation can sour the experience.

Danny Dudekisser

Quixzlizx said:
OP: For at least one of the games on your list, you're doing it wrong.

Okay, well that was an utterly useless post. A complete waste of electrons, really.

Anyway, I'll almost definitely get Trails in the Sky tomorrow... People seem to universally like it a lot. I'd like something on the darker side, too, at some point as that's generally what I prefer.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Callibretto said:
Tales of the world
This is probably one of the last PSP Tales games I'd recommend. Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 is far superior to the first. My personal favourite Tales games for the PSP are Narikiri Dungeon X and Tales of Rebirth, but they're only in Japanese. Rebirth's battle system is fantastic.

I recommend Tales of VS to no one.

But going by OPs posts throughout the thread, he might not like them.

Ken said:
How's Crimson Gem Saga and Hexyz Force? Thinking about picking up one if the PSN store comes up tomorrow.
Crimson Gem Saga:
Can you believe this KRPG is the sequel to Astonishia Story? Yeah, it is! But it's miles better, and you don't even need to play AS to get it. It's a normal turn-based venture. You'll hear VAs you're familiar with from other Atlus games. The environments are detailed and nice to look at (but this doesn't hold the same for dungeons).

Edit: As for the narrative, it's pretty straightforward. It isn't much different from your standard RPG fare. Killian is the knight who just graduated from the academy looking for a job. He lands himself into trouble. But the localization and voicework more than make up for the main plot.

There are no random encounters. You can see the enemies before you enter battle. There is a sort of ambush system in CGS. If the enemy sees you, an "!" will appear above its head and if you don't touch the enemy soon, it will chase you. If it catches you from behind, it'll ambush you. If you touch them from behind, you'll get the preemptive strike.

Battles are turn-based, and you can see turn-order at the top of the screen. Depending on what skills characters have turns (and if they have consecutive turns), the characters can unleash unite attacks on the enemies. Escaping from battle has a wheel come up and you have to do timed button presses to escape. During level up, characters gain Skill Points. Skill Points are used to unlock and learn skills in each character's Skill Tree (which kind of reminds me of Xenosaga's).

The music's quite good. There are also occasional fetch quests which you may or may not like.

Hexyz Force
I'll disclose that I liked CGS better than Hexyz Force, but I found enjoyment in HF too.

There are two protagonists in this game: a dude (Levant the knight) and a girl (Cecilia the shrine maiden). They have different story paths and recruit different people, but sometimes cross paths. I preferred Levant's storyline myself--it's slightly more serious than the lighthearted tone of Cecilia's narrative. Endings are dependent on what choices you make during the game. If you complete both characters' scenarios, you get the True Ending. Dialogue choices in one scenario are shown in the other character's scenario (so it's kinda like Suikoden III). The plot itself is average JRPG stuff, but the localization is pretty good to keep the plot from becoming dry. And the soundtrack is fantastic.

It's another one of those turn-based JRPGs. Weapons can be breakable. There is an item creation aspect to the game to make new equipment. I found that enemies were pretty generous with their drops, so the item creation wasn't too cumbersome. Enemies are visible. If you get too close, it'll notice you and chase you to initiate battle. Though they don't chase you forever. Sometimes the dungeons are repetitive and the game can be really easy at times. Otherwise, it's an alright experience.

If you're having doubts, watch this Giant Bomb Quick Look.

Aside: Well, this thread has inspired me to get Gurumin. The music must be fantastic.

Ken

Thanks for the impressions, Schala.

Think I'll grab Brave Story and Gurumin off Amazon and Crimson Gem Saga if the store is up tomorrow.

Chacranajxy said:
Okay, well that was an utterly useless post. A complete waste of electrons, really.

Anyway, I'll almost definitely get Trails in the Sky tomorrow... People seem to universally like it a lot. I'd like something on the darker side, too, at some point as that's generally what I prefer.

Tactics Ogre is probably the best choice if you want darker more serious tone rpg. rpg nowadays are mostly lighter and filled with shonen anime trope. even Trails of The Sky is like that.

ferr

Callibretto said:
Tactics Ogre is probably the best choice if you want darker more serious tone rpg. rpg nowadays are mostly lighter and filled with shonen anime trope. even Trails of The Sky is like that.
Tactics Ogre definitely has its dark moments. Considering the OP said he likes FFT, this should be an obvious purchase.

Chacranajxy said:

Since that poster decided not to elaborate, I'll step in and say that post was likely referring to Disgaea. The Item World isn't something you should be delving into until post-story.

This is a good choice. And while Trails in the Sky is overall light-hearted, with a very energetic and optimistic protagonist, it does have darker moments, especially in the final chapter.

If you're looking for something consistently serious and dark, Tactics Ogre is a good choice. I haven't played it too much, but Knights in the Nightmare also seems to be along those lines.

Jigsaw

Banned
can't believe no one mentioned dissidia yet >_>

get dissidia 012 (or download prologus from psn and see if you like the battlesystem),it also unlocks the full dissidia 1 once you finish the new campaign

Danny Dudekisser

hosannainexcelsis said:
Since that poster decided not to elaborate, I'll step in and say that post was likely referring to Disgaea. The Item World isn't something you should be delving into until post-story.

This is a good choice. And while Trails in the Sky is overall light-hearted, with a very energetic and optimistic protagonist, it does have darker moments, especially in the final chapter.

If you're looking for something consistently serious and dark, Tactics Ogre is a good choice. I haven't played it too much, but Knights in the Nightmare also seems to be along those lines.

Light hearted is fine with me so long as it's not super generic. Example: Tales of Etrnia was too generic. It took genre tropes and relied on them way too heavily. there wasnt anything particularly memorable about the game because it never established its own identity. Tales of Vesperia was excellent - it took standard RPG devices, but ran with them. I liked the characters and story because they were so well presented, and because the game's pacing was spot-on. Even without rampant creativity, it still succeeded. I find that far more often than not, light hearted RPG fare falls into the traps that Eternia did. So I'm basically looking for something hat avoids that.

Ahem, but that's just me expounding on the woes of the genre as I perceive them. I really like JRPGs... I just wish they were on point a little more often is all.

I jumped on the tits bandwagon last week and don't regret it so far. Most played PSP game and I've owned it for 4-5months.

That said, I need more 10 hour game recommendations, I'll be an old man by the time I finish a handful of the ones recommended so far! I youtubed Tactics Ogre and my brain exploded.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did you like Grandia and Lunar? If so you'd probably like Trails in the Sky.

Chacranajxy said:
Light hearted is fine with me so long as it's not super generic. Example: Tales of Etrnia was too generic. It took genre tropes and relied on them way too heavily. there wasnt anything particularly memorable about the game because it never established its own identity. Tales of Vesperia was excellent - it took standard RPG devices, but ran with them. I liked the characters and story because they were so well presented, and because the game's pacing was spot-on. Even without rampant creativity, it still succeeded. I find that far more often than not, light hearted RPG fare falls into the traps that Eternia did. So I'm basically looking for something hat avoids that.

Ahem, but that's just me expounding on the woes of the genre as I perceive them. I really like JRPGs... I just wish they were on point a little more often is all.

If that's your worry, you'll be good with Trails in the Sky. It has one of the most well-realized and detailed worlds ever in a video game, and a very well-executed plot with excellent characters. There are random town NPCs which have more personality than many RPG protagonists.

Danny Dudekisser

hosannainexcelsis said:
If that's your worry, you'll be good with Trails in the Sky. It has one of the most well-realized and detailed worlds ever in a video game, and a very well-executed plot with excellent characters. There are random town NPCs which have more personality than many RPG protagonists.

Great. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll buy it tomorrow for sure now.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Zwei said:
First post nailed it.. and every other post thereafter.

QFT, look what you guys made me do, now I am planning to get 3 more PSP RPG's.

(which works out since I just beat Ar Tonelico 3 and are close to finishing Atelier Rorona)

Top Bottom