• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought a new PSP! So where are all these great RPGs people are talking about?

Ken

Dark Schala said:
But overall, Radiant Mythology 2 is just better than RM1. Way better.
Is RM1 still decent enough to recommend to someone who probably won't play RM2 and 3 due to the language barrier?

Salsa

Whats the word on the Star Ocean titles?

Might just buy the two in advance..

Whole series has been spoiled to me but oh well :p

Zierath

SalsaShark said:
Whats the word on the Star Ocean titles?

Might just buy the two in advance..

Whole series has been spoiled to me but oh well :p
I'd say the PSP SO1 remake is the best game in the series. It's kinda short but the pacing is good and they fixed a lot of stuff that was wrong with the original version. The SO2 port is just SO2 with a new character and an added event or two.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ken said:
Is RM1 still decent enough to recommend to someone who probably won't play RM2 and 3 due to the language barrier?
Yeah, I think so. I enjoyed it before I played RM2. If we're talking about Tales titles in general, though--I'd recommend Rebirth over it.

Tales stories aren't always special, but RM's narrative has an even thinner story. It's more of a dungeon crawler with a character that you create. Some of the characters and Tales characters don't really have character development (and I'm guessing that it's because the game is fanservice and Namco assumes that you've played all the previous games already). Of course, there can be a case where the NA player won't know who some of these characters are (Phantasia, Rebirth, etc).

Skits are great as usual. Some are voiced while others are not. Dialogue is written fine as well. Your character is a silent protagonist and other people do the talking for him/her. There aren't a lot of starting classes: warrior, mage, priest and thief.

Tales characters usually appear as cameo battles. at all. But they can also help you out in fulfilling guild quests (wrt fighting in your party). They'll sometimes reject your invitation to join the party, though (this doesn't happen in RM2). If you do more guild quests, they'll end up changing their mind about it, A lot of the VAs for some of the characters got replaced (you'll notice this with Raine and Lloyd). After finishing quests, your party disbands after every one.

I've seen comparisons to Dissidia before, but it doesn't play like Dissidia (I'd say Tales of VS is more like Dissidia). It's more of a dungeon crawler to me, not a fighter. It's like a single-player dungeon crawler MMO. It's not a bad game... it's just that RM2 made a lot of improvements that renders RM1 null and void, imo. If you're a fan of the Tales series, you could get it.

The characters include:
-Chester Burklight (Tales of Phantasia)
-Arche Klein (Tales of Phantasia)
-Stahn Aileron (Tales of Destiny)
-Rutee Katrea (Tales of Destiny)
-Leon Magnus (Tales of Destiny)
-Reid Hershel (Tales of Eternia)
-Lloyd Irving (Symphonia)
-Raine Sage (Symphonia)
-Kratos Aurion (Symphonia)
-Genis Sage (Symphonia)
-Eugene Gallardo (Rebirth)
-Luke fon Fabre (Abyss)
-Tear Grants (Abyss)
-Senel Coolidge (Legendia)

(Non-playables are: Garr (Destiny), Philia (Destiny), Nanaly (Destiny 2), Harold (Destiny 2) and Annie (Rebirth).)

RM2 added way more characters from these games, Innocence characters, Tempest characters, and Vesperia characters. RM3 added more characters from the games from RM1 and RM2, Hearts characters, Knight of Rata--Dawn of the New World characters, RM1 characters, RM2 characters, and Graces characters.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
hmm... finished FFIV. Was great (which I already knew from playing it several times before.)

Now I have to decide between Ys Seven and Trails in the Sky.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Chacranajxy said:
hmm... finished FFIV. Was great (which I already knew from playing it several times before.)

Now I have to decide between Ys Seven and Trails in the Sky.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Are you in the mood for fast or slow? If fast, Ys Seven. If slow, Trails.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Trails is also significantly longer, if that makes a difference. I haven't played Ys Seven yet, but it's 20 or so hours from what I've heard. Trails can be 60+ easily if you do all the guild quests and everything.

Zekes!

Oh yeah, there's also the downloadable game Cladun: This is an RPG.

It's a dungeon crawler by NIS, with one of the main features being you can create and design your own characters.

It's kind of neat, though I haven't spent a ton of time with it.

Danny Dudekisser

hosannainexcelsis said:
Are you in the mood for fast or slow? If fast, Ys Seven. If slow, Trails.

Hmm well FFIV was turn based, so something speedy would be nice. Which game has the better soundtrack? I wanna rock out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Chacranajxy said:
Trails is longer and has a slower battle system. Ys Seven is all ARPG.

Ys Seven has the "more rockin' out" soundtrack, imo.
Innocent Primeval Breaker (Ys Seven)
Crossing Rage (Ys Seven)
An Assault (Ys Seven)

Sophisticated Fight (Trails in the Sky)
Those who Protected Their Greatest Treasure (Trails in the Sky)
Challenger Invited

I see you didn't express interest in the FFIV Interlude (I saw it was needless as well) or The After Years (for some reason I'm enjoying it more than WiiWare, but yeah... you don't have to bother with it).

What'd you think of the redone backgrounds and sprites?

Danny Dudekisser

Dark Schala said:

Crossing Rage (Ys Seven)
An Assault (Ys Seven)

Challenger Invited

I see you didn't express interest in the FFIV Interlude (I saw it was needless as well) or The After Years (for some reason I'm enjoying it more than WiiWare, but yeah... you don't have to bother with it).

The redone graphics were actually exactly what I wanted. They basically just retooled the assets they already had, for the most part, so it still felt like the original game. I like that. I didn't feel like I was playing something foreign - this was FFIV as I know and love it. The new backgrounds and spell effects that they added in were great. The spells were pretty, and the backgrounds in places like the last dungeon added that extra 10% of panache that the GBA game maybe could've used.

What I was probably the most impressed by was the redone soundtrack, though. I was a bit worried at first, because arranged soundtracks tend to be worse than the original versions, but they knocked it out of the park here. They didn't redo the music so much as they provided better instrumentation. The difference is kinda subtle, but I feel like this is how the music would have sounded had the technology been available when the game was first released. I'm a bit of a game music geek (back when 1up had their Chiptuned blog, I wrote a few things about obscurities like the Legaia 2 OST, if that helps my street cred), so I really appreciate a soundtrack that's as well-done as this was.

I basically feel like I've gotten the impossible from Square: A remake that provides me with exactly -- EXACTLY -- what I wanted. And playing it on a PSP that's actually not horrible to use? Perfection.

Uh, so yeah. I'll probably go with Ys Seven. Thanks for the soundtrack links -- I love me some PC Engine-era rock. And I was pleasantly surprised by the Trails songs... the jazzy battle theme makes me wanna break that game out right now, but alas! I have already committed to Ys. If it's good, I'll nab Oath in Felgana and maybe Chronicles.

I'm thinking about picking up a few RPGs, so far I'm thinking radiant historia, rune factory, trails in the sky, and a y's game but I don't know which so should i start at a specific y's title or am I free to jump in wherever?

NightHawk17 said:
I'm thinking about picking up a few RPGs, so far I'm thinking radiant historia, rune factory, trails in the sky, and a y's game but I don't know which so should i start at a specific y's title or am I free to jump in wherever?
I'm not a Ys expert, but I suggest you start with Ys I & II Chronicles for the PSP. None of the games in the series are story heavy, but it might be good to start out with the simpler battle system.

Edgeward

NightHawk17 said:
Ys 3 or 7 is great starting points. Chronicles is very different, old school Ys. Meaning no attack buttons and little direction given. If you want more Rpg elements get 7. Want more fast paced dungeon crawling with some good challenge, get 3. Cannot go wrong with either.

KAL2006

Banned
I like the look of Crimson Gem Saga, is it any good, note I usually like JRPGs that have a decent story. I like the Suikoden and Final Fantasy series. JRPGs I didn't like are Tales of Eternia, Disgaea, Lunar and etc.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
NIN90 said:
Sorry but Trails in the Sky's battle theme is freaking horrible.
It fits the slower pace of the game, but yeah, I don't really like the song either. Fortunately most typical battles don't take long.

As for which Ys game to start with, it's a tough call. You can't go wrong with Oath and Seven. Chronicles makes things difficult, because it's really different and it's a love it/hate it game to begin with. Check out some videos, if it looks fun to you go for it first, otherwise it might be hard to go back to after playing Oath/Seven.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dark Schala said:

Crossing Rage (Ys Seven)
An Assault (Ys Seven)

Challenger Invited

You could add these for Sora no Kiseki:

Whereabouts of Light
I Feel Like I Could Dance With The Wind

Also OP, are you considering PSone classics? If so, you should get:
- Suikoden
- Grandia
- FFVII-FFIX
- Xenogears
- Parasite Eve
- Wild ARMs
- Alundra

LProtag

While Star Ocean 2 does take you from sci-fi and throw you into 'generic fantasy', if you want to call it that, without spoiling much, it brings you into a sort of mix of the two eventually, though it still is mostly fantasy.

I'm just biased though because it was my favorite PSX RPG ever. Going to have to get the PSP version when I finally get a PSP (After E3? Pricedrop? Maybe? Please!?).

P90

jorgeton said:
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but Phantasy Star Portable 2 is all sorts of awesome.

Though phantasy star portable 2 is a technical improvement over #1, I just can't get into it like #1. guess I miss vivienne, Maya, and Karen?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SpaceDrake said:
What, you link these without linking one of the best boss themes ever?
I wanted to keep that one a hidden gem. :p

KAL2006 said:
I like the look of Crimson Gem Saga, is it any good, note I usually like JRPGs that have a decent story. I like the Suikoden and Final Fantasy series. JRPGs I didn't like are Tales of Eternia, Disgaea, Lunar and etc.

I'm not sure if these impressions are what you're looking for, narrative-wise. I personally liked it. But check out some gameplay footage too to see if you'll like it. It isn't universally considered as "wonderful", and I'm not sure if I could put it on the same level as Radiant Historia. But both games were localized by Atlus.

The redone graphics were actually exactly what I wanted. They basically just retooled the assets they already had, for the most part, so it still felt like the original game. I like that. I didn't feel like I was playing something foreign - this was FFIV as I know and love it. The new backgrounds and spell effects that they added in were great. The spells were pretty, and the backgrounds in places like the last dungeon added that extra 10% of panache that the GBA game maybe could've used.
That's exactly how I'm feeling about the look as well. If I could get a FFVI or FFV remake done in this style, I'll gladly accept it. And I believe the arranged music was the same as the FFIV DS music... but it sounds slightly better here.

I miss the old sound effect for Bio, though.

NeededSleep

NIN90 said:

I really do have to agree. Each fight i would try and kill things as fast as i could just so i wouldn't have to hear any battle theme. So every character i built up to do good hard aoe dmg.

Also Lunar for psp... Good game but... but oh god damn... Why did they have to give Alex too small of spandex... His junk bounce while in combat on his normal breathing. His open stance doesn't help it the situation.

cannot unsee. :'(

Zekes!

NIN90 said:

I don't really mind TitS' battle theme at all. It's not amazing, but it's not bad. Don't understand the dislike at all, oh well

Negator

So I got Trails in the Sky today

Holy fuck this game is SO GOOD. Before I knew it I was sucked.

NIN90 said:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree here. The theme is catchy and is a welcome break from the typical battle theme.

Buttons

I came in here to post a few suggestions but it seems they have all been covered.

I am really happy to see all the love for PoPoLoCrois. Was my first PSP RPG and still one of my favourite games to date. :D

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
TheSeks said:
On the other, audio cues for preparing meat for someone disabled like me, killed the aspect of the game.
There are audio cues? I only ever looked at the meat change color to know when it's done. One change is rare steak, two changes is well done steak, three changes it's burnt. The lack of a second analog stick did hurt the game a little (once you learn how it works you can do ok without the claw, by recentering) but the actual camera system isn't bad.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Alextended said:
There are audio cues?

The cooking music thing is the audio cue.

I only ever looked at the meat change color to know when it's done. One change is rare steak, two changes is well done steak, three changes it's burnt.

See, but the thing is: That two change thing is QUICK. You can't notice it's "well done" in MH1 without burning it as soon as you press "X" when you realize it's well done. Over and over and over. To the point of just giving up in frustration. Screw that, it isn't worth the hassle.

teiresias

NeededSleep said:
I really do have to agree. Each fight i would try and kill things as fast as i could just so i wouldn't have to hear any battle theme. So every character i built up to do good hard aoe dmg.

Also Lunar for psp... Good game but... but oh god damn... Why did they have to give Alex too small of spandex... His junk bounce while in combat on his normal breathing. His open stance doesn't help it the situation.

cannot unsee. :'(
Speaking of Lunar. I have the PSX releases of both the first and second game. If I want to play through the first one should play the PSX release again or is there a compelling reason to go for the PSP re-release?

InsertNameHere said:
While Star Ocean 2 does take you from sci-fi and throw you into 'generic fantasy', if you want to call it that, without spoiling much, it brings you into a sort of mix of the two eventually, though it still is mostly fantasy.

I'm just biased though because it was my favorite PSX RPG ever. Going to have to get the PSP version when I finally get a PSP (After E3? Pricedrop? Maybe? Please!?).

The PSP version sucks IMO, they added whole new hammy voice overs and generic anime cut scenes, both of which were totally unnecessary. They took one of my favourite PSX games and turned it into a shitty 'Tales Of...' game.

Danny Dudekisser

And from what I hear, the PSP version of Lunar is even slower than the PS1 game was... how in the hell did they manage that?

Cloudy

Banned
Ken said:
How's Crimson Gem Saga and Hexyz Force? Thinking about picking up one if the PSN store comes up tomorrow.

I have both. CGS is very good and HF looks nice but I haven't played it yet. I would get them both though :p

Go_Ly_Dow

Negator said:
So I got Trails in the Sky today

Holy fuck this game is SO GOOD. Before I knew it I was sucked.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree here. The theme is catchy and is a welcome break from the typical battle theme.

I disliked the boss theme that plays through that first couple of chapters.

I liked the battle theme though. It was classy.

NeededSleep

Ken said:
How's Crimson Gem Saga and Hexyz Force? Thinking about picking up one if the PSN store comes up tomorrow.

CGS has some long load times for battles. But overall it was a decent rpg.
Hexyz force i got through psn, it has 2 stories to play through, i only played through one and i have little interest of going through the second story. It was a ok game, just very bland story imo.

Danny Dudekisser

Oh jeez, guys. I started Ys Seven and I'm like four hours in, and it's fuckin' rad. To think I had no intention of ever playing this game until like a week ago... the soundtrack is pretty amazing stuff, as well. Storyline is about what I'd expect. It's typical RPG stuff, but at least the characters are likable, and there's not a whole hell of a lot of story to trudge through so it never becomes a problem.

So things are pretty great so far.

Buttons said:
I came in here to post a few suggestions but it seems they have all been covered.

I am really happy to see all the love for PoPoLoCrois. Was my first PSP RPG and still one of my favourite games to date. :D
popo was great, I remember playing it when I got my first psp over christmas break in 2005 i think. Couldn't put it down. Just when you thought the story would finish it kept going.
3AQmK.gif

I generally dislike srpgs but it's one of the few I actually like.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys are tempting me to import a Japanese copy of PoPoLoCrois. XD

Unfortunately, I can't find any copies cheap here in Canada. (

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chacranajxy said:
Oh jeez, guys. I started Ys Seven and I'm like four hours in, and it's fuckin' rad. To think I had no intention of ever playing this game until like a week ago... the soundtrack is pretty amazing stuff, as well. Storyline is about what I'd expect. It's typical RPG stuff, but at least the characters are likable, and there's not a whole hell of a lot of story to trudge through so it never becomes a problem.

So things are pretty great so far.
I just started it a while ago as well. Really liking it, but so far Oath in Felghana is solidly ahead of it.

After this I'll just be left with Ark of Napishtim, but apparently the PSP version is terrible. What to do...

Dark Schala said:
You guys are tempting me to import a Japanese copy of PoPoLoCrois. XD

Unfortunately, I can't find any copies cheap here in Canada. (
Do it man, the cast is great and lovable, the world beautiful and the story is cute and touching. Definitely one of the best psp RPGs.

I hope the ps vita becomes a rpg powerhouse like the psp

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
Is the PSP version different from the PSX version?
Apparently it is, though some have argued that it's for worse, not for better. They apparently combined both PoPoLoCrois games into one, but cut some of both games' content (ie: including some entire dungeons and towns, major story scenes, some moments of character development, cutscenes, etc). But it has animated cutscenes from the same people who did the PoPoLoCrois cartoon.

Apparently there are differences between the PSP and PS1 intros:
In both games, Pietoro celebrates his birthday, then follows his father into a tower to discover his mother laying in bed, under a spell. In the PS1 version, Pietoro's quest is to recover his father's crown, stolen by the Gami Gami Devil. In the PSP version, Pietoro's quest is to find a way to awaken his mom, whom he'd thought dead. So there is no castle attack early on, there's no mention of Gami Gami Devil at first, and Pietoro initially heads off on his own in the PSP version.

I keep hearing the battle system is a bit different. I heard they took out the GUTS meter.

NightHawk17 said:
Do it man, the cast is great and lovable, the world beautiful and the story is cute and touching. Definitely one of the best psp RPGs.

I hope the ps vita becomes a rpg powerhouse like the psp
Perhaps the next time I get paid, then. :)

Despite it being a haven for mainly RPG ports, I still like the PSP output this generation. I could just laze around and play through a game that I know like the back of my hand like Suikoden I+II or something. When I was a kid, I had always wanted to take Final Fantasy IV or Suikoden with me and now I can!

Danny Dudekisser

chaosblade said:
I just started it a while ago as well. Really liking it, but so far Oath in Felghana is solidly ahead of it.

After this I'll just be left with Ark of Napishtim, but apparently the PSP version is terrible. What to do...

Oh man, so Oath of Felghana is even better? That's exciting. I'd never played an Ys game up until now, despite that it's the sort of thing that appeals to me... and now I feel a bit silly for waiting so long.

Dark Schala said:
Despite it being a haven for mainly RPG ports, I still like the PSP output this generation. I could just laze around and play through a game that I know like the back of my hand like Suikoden I+II or something. When I was a kid, I had always wanted to take Final Fantasy IV or Suikoden with me and now I can!

Sigh... yeah, Suikoden I & II. Thanks for that one, Sony. It'd be neato if Konami surprise announced that at E3, but it came out like 5 years ago so... :(

I just think it's kind of hilarious how Sony positioned the PSP as the biggest piece of shit in the world. It has watered down console ports, a bunch of first party shit that's not fun, and it has all these media functions I don't goddamn want. And they marketed the shit out of it with lame campaigns where they emphasized those very problems and pretended like they were a good thing. It's only now that the system has all these RPGs and stuff that Sony was breaking their necks to distance themselves from that the PSP is any good. So I'm honestly not looking forward to the NGP at all for at least a few years, because I know it's going to be more of the same shit.

Chacranajxy said:
Oh man, so Oath of Felghana is even better? That's exciting. I'd never played an Ys game up until now, despite that it's the sort of thing that appeals to me... and now I feel a bit silly for waiting so long.

Well, keep in mind that Oath doesn't have the party mechanic, that's exclusive to SEVEN currently; Oath is a bit more like a Zelda game in that Adol eventually picks up a huge variety of abilities all for himself. And also remember that I&II play nothing like either game; I would honestly try to rent that one before buying it, if you can. It's hard to recommend without a demo to see if a person can click with the gameplay.

Top Bottom