• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't see how anyone could give 343 a chance on Halo Infinite after Halo 5. They have made only one tolerable game in their entire existence.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's not like the original trilogy was something special, just because you played it during your puberty and bring feels with you, does not make a good game. I don't see how 4&5 are worse examples than 1 -3 Halos honestly... Yeah ODST and Reach are still better games, but Destiny was shit, so it's not like it would be better with Bungie...

stickkidsam

It's not so much that I believe in what 343 has been showing (mainly because they haven't shown us anything) as it is that their efforts to improve Halo 5 and the MCC give me a glimmer of hope that maybe, JUST MAYBE, they might make something legendary.

I'm not really optimistic about Infinite, but I'm a sucker for a good comeback story. If this turns out to be a fucking service game though they can suck my saucy stink shooter.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Yeh me to.

Was hoping for a new enemy type in H4 after the covenant war ended in 3 but they re-used them to save in remaking assets at least there was no flood.
I like the Flood though.

One of the things I hope they do bring back. Or at least give us something new.

JLB

Banned
Lower than Life Is Strange, Final Fantasy X, Gears 4, Gears 5, and Broken Chief collection. But Halo is back?

Halo 5 is only points behind spiderman, which was considered a goty contender.
Just my advice op, wait and be a little bit more conservative with predictions, they were not working that well for you lately

GamingKaiju

I like the Flood though.

One of the things I hope they do bring back. Or at least give us something new.

I felt that the flood had outlived their purpose by H3 I guess the level ‘cortana’ killed my enjoyment of a 2nd enemy type in halo that shit was infuriating on legendary. The god damn explodees and the thorn flicking dudes pissed me of no end.

I guess they could make a comeback if done right but so far 343i haven’t really been on fire in the enemy department.

VertigoOA

Banned
You think Halo 5 was bad, but Destiny 2 from Bungie is not better.

of course it is. Bungie’s games continue to be found as the top 10 most played games across the entire industry and has been year after year. Even in a dead period like it is now the game at its lowest has 750,000 daily players.

343 is a cover band and their best product was ports of games they didn’t make.

Parting ways with Bungie lost MS the generation. No doubt about it

what happened to halo mirrors what happened to Star Wars... but I’d argue that Halo 5 is far worse than TLJ.

343 legit Rian Johnson’d the IP

Destiny has and always will be the true sequels to Halo. And that’s where the fans went as well. Go figure

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

H5's mp still dumps on all other FPS from this gen. What are you comparing it to? Fortnite, Overwatch, COD, Battlefield 1/V? Those games are all weak as fuck. I dont base quality on popularity - H5's mp is simply too difficult for the masses, if you get shit on online, you aint going to keep playing it.
343’s lack of understanding for what made Halo great is so severe that they couldn’t even get a fucking hd collection right.
You do realise the MCC was fixed last year and is now easily one of the best game collections from any generation.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't have to "give them a chance".. when the game comes out I'll read reviews like every other game. And not like I have to buy the game... GamePass exists.

Mommy needs to change your diapy.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
After 5 years of 343i working on Halo Infinite... I don't think they will screw up this time.
They will find a way. Their only redemption is a reboot. As long as they keep that Forerunner story with those annoying enemies that dissolve into nothing going, they don't do the franchise justice. They would have to create nine levels like "The Covenant" from Halo 3 to make up for the mess they created so far. Literally everything they added to the franchise is shit. Forerunner enemies, their weapons, the story, Locke. The only thing they can do are graphics.

And for sure they will once again not include coop matchmaking.

Last edited:
All shooters are pretty much shit these days. They have been done to death, more so than any other genre.

Halo was great when it also had barely any competition. Now it’s just a solid shooter among a sea of many and it will be hard to elevate it to any more than that. No matter who makes it.

All shooters are pretty much shit these days. They have been done to death, more so than any other genre.

Halo was great when it also had barely any competition. Now it’s just a solid shooter among a sea of many and it will be hard to elevate it to any more than that. No matter who makes it.

I feel like Titanfall 2 was great and could have been huge if not for the terrible launch window. Still no idea why basically suicide launched it with the timing

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

All the people who bought it and couldn't play it for years. Now it works but 343 has no idea how to set up playlists and settings properly.
Wait time is irrelevant for something that will be played for years to come. I guess it was damned if they do, damned if they dont. It was unprecedented the amount of fixes the game received so far from launch - but the waiting is all irrelevant now - the Halo games are proven to be timeless, so again, who gives a shit? If you like Halo - its the best Halo game package that will ever be released.

As for setting and playlist - they are updated nearly weekly. I havent seen much issue. They even included an AR start BTB option. You can literally pick which game and mode you want. Another Halo first.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Probably because only Reach is playable and that's Bungies worst Halo.

No, the IP as a whole has been driven into the ground. Like I mentioned already, MCC doesn’t even chart in the top 50 most played games on Microsoft’s own console and Halo 5 barely made it into the top 50. It’s outranked by CoD Ww2 and the 360 version of Black Ops and the halo games are free on gamespass on top of it all.

The IP is completely in the shitter.

Ps - Going with Series X at launch because of Halo Infinite and it being more powerful than the Ps5. I’m still in for Infinite because I fucking adore the chief and nostalgia and all that but goddamnit Halo 5 was so goddamn bad I’m going in with extremely low expectations.

too bad stinkles has to post on a safe space forum because it’d be fun to tell him how shit 343 is directly

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
All the people who bought it and couldn't play it for years. Now it works but 343 has no idea how to set up playlists and settings properly.
The playlists/settings were my biggest complaint when I tried it out a while back. Like, what's the point of going into a Halo 2 playlist of non-slayer game modes and having everyone start with a BR? It makes it pointless to pick up anything. The starting SMG is supposed to suck in Halo 2. The point was to control the weapon locations in the arenas. And it was always the same damn things coming up every time anyway.

Last edited:
Agree 100%, Halo 5 MP is fantastic!! I get confused when people say it is bad...

It's not confusing. It's a pretty good game (disregarding how feature incomplete it was for over a year), but it's a really bad Halo game. The map design, combat pace and flow, controls, abilities, etc all negatively impact what made classic Halo so good in the first place. This applies to casual and competetive play.

That's fine that you enjoy it, but it is more of a modern arena shooter with a Halo influence.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
No, the IP as a whole has been driven into the ground. Like I mentioned already, MCC doesn’t even chart in the top 50 most played games on Microsoft’s own console and Halo 5 barely made it into the top 50. It’s outranked by CoD Ww2 and the 360 version of Black Ops and the halo games are free on gamespass on top of it all.

The IP is completely in the shitter.

Ps - Going with Series X at launch because of Halo Infinite and it being more powerful than the Ps5. I’m still in for Infinite because I fucking adore the chief and nostalgia and all that but goddamnit Halo 5 was so goddamn bad I’m going in with extremely low expectations.

too bad stinkles has to post on a safe space forum because it’d be fun to tell him how shit 343 is directly

If that were the case people wouldn't even have bothered but they did.
Player numbers went down because Reach MP isn't good.

desertdroog

I've nothing to add other than the last Halo games I played in order of most played to least played which is obvious my ranking of enjoyment (it's a subjective opinion but it is how I view Halo):

1. Halo 3
2. Halo 1 (includes the updated Anniversary edition that precludes the trainwreck that was the Master Chief collection)
3. Halo 3: ODST
4. Halo Reach
5. Halo 2
6. Halo 4

Never played Halo 5, but I watched the Rooster Teeth folks do a lets play.
Bungie took the magic with them, 343i dropped the ball, I'm not sure they can recover.

Last edited:
We have no choice anymore. I want to get excited because it’s halo infinite but I’m worried it’s gonna be another halo 5. The fact that it’s gonna be cross gen is already a big red flag for me

pr0cs

I'd be happy to be wrong and Halo Infinite is good but to be honest it's hard to get excited about Halo at all.
Last good Halo was 3.

V4skunk

Banned
You have to be retarded or not a real Halo fan to see that 343i are headed in the right direction with the wide open maps / open world.
They are going back to the roots of Halo.

Lone Wolf

I’ll play it through game pass on my One X. i think it’s a mistake making it cross platform, but I can hold off buying a Series X. Halo is why I always had Xbox as primary. Last chance 343!

They will find a way. Their only redemption is a reboot. As long as they keep that Forerunner story with those annoying enemies that dissolve into nothing going, they don't do the franchise justice. They would have to create nine levels like "The Covenant" from Halo 3 to make up for the mess they created so far. Literally everything they added to the franchise is shit. Forerunner enemies, their weapons, the story, Locke. The only thing they can do are graphics.

And for sure they will once again not include coop matchmaking.
Honestly killing Prometheans just isn't the same like we did against the Covenant or the Flood. But one thing I do like about those are their weapons.. pretty neat how they look and sound. Especially Halo 4s Suppressor.

ancelotti

I'll agree that the last few Halo titles have been somewhat less than the sum of their parts. However, the improvement in the multi and the increasing internal demands give me some hope they can pull it off.

There's no doubt it will review well, but as OP alluded to, it's more important people actually play and support the game. MS desperately needs a vibrant community for a new console, and they only get one more chance at it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You have to be retarded or not a real Halo fan to see that 343i are headed in the right direction with the wide open maps / open world.
They are going back to the roots of Halo.

open world sounds like shit. not every game needs to be open world. Halo CE is definitely not.

Shmunter

They just need great writing, direction and polish. Easier said than done.

Multiplayer, no idea...anything outside of COD/Apex style is lame to me so am bias.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who's never ever played any Halo game, Infinite will be the first game in the series that I play and while there's no guarantee that I actually complete the story campaign, it at worse, will be a $10 monthly rental via Game Pass.

V4skunk

Banned
This is very VERY premature to say. We have not seen gameplay, which is what it's all about.
The gameplay isn't what made Halo 4&5 not Halo.
It was the lack of wide open emergent megalithic maps of the original Bungie games.
Halo 5 also handled quite well even though they went COD style with the ADS and sprint.

Top Bottom