• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I chatted with Ken from XSEED. Nothing big, but something I'd like to share.

DunpealD

I have a little request for XSEED since you seem to have a good relationship with them may I suggest

qxthf9.jpg

Hajime no Ippo Portable Victorious Spirits

I'm craving for a good Boxing game and I also read that some people at XSEED really like the Hajime no Ippo series so maybe they can do it?

DunpealD said:
I have a little request for XSEED since you seem to have a good relationship with them may I suggest

qxthf9.jpg

Hajime no Ippo Portable Victorious Spirits

I'm craving for a good Boxing game and I also read that some people at XSEED really like the Hajime no Ippo series so maybe they can do it?

I can ask about that for you! :)

Did you know that they brought over another Ippo game for the Wii? Reviews weren't the most positive. But I can ask about this game for you anyway!

DunpealD

Hero of legend said:
I can ask about that for you! :)

Did you know that they brought over another Ippo game for the Wii? Reviews weren't the most positive. But I can ask about this game for you anyway!

Thank you!

Well too bad it was for the Wii so I had to buy the EU version, I really would have liked to support them.

Also if it's possible, if that game has voice ask them to make it dual audio. I know the series is also more or less well known in the US so I can't really ask them to leave it at Japanese, can I? :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
VK2 discussion here is nonexistent because I'm probably the only one here to have actually purchased it! :)

Mejilan said:
VK2 discussion here is nonexistent because I'm probably the only one here to have actually purchased it! :)

I'm picking up a copy just as soon as I get my PSP back.
It's on loan to my brother so he has something to play while waiting for his broken 360 to go through the channels.

DunpealD said:
Thank you!

Well too bad it was for the Wii so I had to buy the EU version, I really would have liked to support them.

Also if it's possible, if that game has voice ask them to make it dual audio. I know the series is also more or less well known in the US so I can't really ask them to leave it at Japanese, can I? :lol

I just finished my e-mail asking about that and various other games like Nintendo's DS RPGs like Soma Bringer, We're Fossil Diggers, and of course, Glory of Heracles!

I asked about the possibility of dual audio before, look back on page one for that, but I'll find it myself and add it to this post for you! :)

Edit: Here!

Princess Skittles said:
I'll bookmark this thread to ask about Retro Game Master 2 some time after the first game is FINALLY released over here.

I'm positive the answer will be "If it sells, it's more than possible!"

mollipen

Mejilan said:

I reviewed it for Play (and also did an interview preview for it in a previous issue). For the most part, for every good improvement something else needed to be fixed/changed, and combat was basically broken due to one small decision. It's a real shame, because the parts that are better about VK2 I thought were much better, and I had so much hope for the series after the first VK.

I can't believe they didn't bring Namaikida. They have a good relationship with Sony bringing Wild Arms titles, they have brought PSP games already, Namaikida doesn't even have voices to localize and its full of 8 bit charm. It even found its niche in Japan, had good word of mouth and its getting a sequel.

vareon

Thanks for the stuff, Hero of Legend! Looks like XSEED earned my respects, they answered each of your question politely and truthfully.

And I'm looking forward to the answers of your latest e-mail! Will they be able to bring Soma Bringer? :D

DunpealD

Hero of legend said:
I just finished my e-mail asking about that and various other games like Nintendo's DS RPGs like Soma Bringer, We're Fossil Diggers, and of course, Glory of Heracles!

I asked about the possibility of dual audio before, look back on page one for that, but I'll find it myself and add it to this post for you! :)

Edit: Here!

Sorry my bad I must have missed that, interesting read.

Edited it out of my original post:

IIRC the reviews of the Wii game weren't that positive, because of the bad implementation of the motion controls and the camera. Whereas the PSP version is most likely like it's predecessors on the PS2 which were well received.

With a new season coming out early next year in Japan, an US release of the PSP game would be awesome news for the fans.

Ask X-Seed if they can bring over Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu (it's a sound novel for Nintendo DS), and sell it in book stores like Barnes Noble and such. The title was published in Japan by Media Works.

Spirit Icana said:
Ask X-Seed if they can bring over Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu (it's a sound novel for Nintendo DS), and sell it in book stores like Barnes Noble and such. The title was published in Japan by Media Works.

Have any sound novels made it to NA before? That's got to be one of the "nichest" genres ever. I'm not too confident they'll consider it. But I can ask about the game and the genre in general. But I'll wait until me next reply arrives and then I'll include your suggestion in my next e-mail.

DunpealD

Before forgetting it... How about Inazuma Eleven? People keep telling it's one of the finest pieces made by Level 5 and it looks like there is no one going to localize it, might be worth a shot.

Haha, this thread is becoming the "Ask XSEED to localize X game!" thread. Might as well throw my hat into the ring:

Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary

Sega obviously doesn't care about the franchise anymore; heck, Atlus was the one who localized the DS version of PPF.

Hero of legend said:
Have any sound novels made it to NA before? That's got to be one of the "nichest" genres ever. I'm not too confident they'll consider it. But I can ask about the game and the genre in general. But I'll wait until me next reply arrives and then I'll include your suggestion in my next e-mail.

I believe none have ever made it to NA before, making it perhaps not niche, but non-existent. Or perhaps I'm wrong? I'm not well informed with how the genre has fared on the internet, like the way the mainstream audience who loved internet games were always there but not really tapped into with the game console market until Nintendo brought the Wii and DS onto the fold.

I'm just wondering what X-SEED would say, so I brought it up to you. Much appreciated, Hero of Legend.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Haha, this thread is becoming the "Ask XSEED to localize X game!" thread. Might as well throw my hat into the ring:

Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary

Sega obviously doesn't care about the franchise anymore; heck, Atlus was the one who localized the DS version of PPF.

Which version would you want to be brought over?

I'm most interested in the Wii and the fixed DS version.

Shame the Wii version doesn't have 16:9 (IIRC) or Wi-Fi. :/

Perhaps XSEED can find a way to include them if they bring the Wii version over?

Not holding my breath as they said it's more or less decided at the beginning of development. :(

Hero of legend said:

I'm most interested in the Wii and the fixed DS version.

Shame the Wii version doesn't have 16:9 (IIRC) or Wi-Fi. :/

Perhaps XSEED can find a way to include them if they bring the Wii version over?

Not holding my breath as they said it's more or less decided at the beginning of development. :(
The DS version definitely feels like the definitive version due to online play, so yeah, the fixed version of that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Could you ask about any of the recent Tengai Makyo games... like the PSP TM collection, the PSP version of TM: The Apocalypse IV, the DS TM: Manjimaru, etc?

Also ask them if they have looked into the Virtual Console and translating some older games.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This is a great thread, even if I'm EU based I find it pretty useful and it's an interesting read to say the least.
Thanks Hero.

EDIT:

Also, I second the Inazuma Eleven (DS and Wii) question.
But I'm mostly interested in the DS ones since, well, JRPG are a genre a play almost exclusively on the go (sadly I don't have time to sit at home playing these huge 60hours' games).

jesusraz

What would be interesting is if they considered bringing over Tecmo's two text adventures from authors Kyotaro Nishimura and Misa Yamamura. Tecmo itself said it wanted to do it if interest was there, but seemingly backed out because of the amount of text involved and how they thought Westerners might not like the Japanese theme (nonsense, we love Phoenix Wright, right?!).

Bandai Namco has also said that if enough interest was there they'd consider the Taiko no Tatsujin DS games for translation. I did a poll where something like 82% of readers said they'd love it, especially with the original Japanese soundtrack included. 505 Games was interested in picking it up, but apparently Bandai Namco and Atari now have some sort of agreement in place for Europe (BN bought shares in Atari, or something) that reduces the possibility.

Then there's Tales of Innocence, which definitely deserves a translation...BN is aware that readers were more excited about that than the Wii game, yet still flat out said they wouldn't translate it! :-/ Maybe XSEED could take up the cause to please fans.

B.K.

jesusraz said:
Then there's Tales of Innocence, which definitely deserves a translation...BN is aware that readers were more excited about that than the Wii game, yet still flat out said they wouldn't translate it! :-/ Maybe XSEED could take up the cause to please fans.

They can't. Bandai Namco won't license their games to anyone. There are some companies interested in doing all the Tales games that Bandai Namco won't, but they won't license them out to anyone.

jesusraz

B.K. said:
They can't. Bandai Namco won't license their games to anyone. There are some companies interested in doing all the Tales games that Bandai Namco won't, but they won't license them out to anyone.
That strikes me as odd since Ubisoft was granted permission to take on some Tales games for PSP. Any particular reasoning behind this - is BN simply hoping Nintendo will pick up the trail at a later stage, á la Phantasia GBA?

batbeg

jesusraz said:
That strikes me as odd since Ubisoft was granted permission to take on some Tales games for PSP. Any particular reasoning behind this - is BN simply hoping Nintendo will pick up the trail at a later stage, á la Phantasia GBA?

I thought that was because Bandai Namco didn't have a European branch, and Ubisoft just used North American translations?

B.K.

jesusraz said:
That strikes me as odd since Ubisoft was granted permission to take on some Tales games for PSP.

I assume you're referring to the European release of Tales of Eternia PSP? All they did was publish it in Europe. The localization in that game is the same used in the American release back in 2001. All the work in it was already done by Namco. All Ubisoft did was publish it.

Lain

Mejilan said:

I purchased it as well, but I have to wait for it to arrive here still.

jesusraz

B.K. said:
I assume you're referring to the European release of Tales of Eternia PSP? All they did was publish it in Europe. The localization in that game is the same used in the American release back in 2001. All the work in it was already done by Namco. All Ubisoft did was publish it.
Same with Tales of the World as well then? I thought Ubi handled it in both the US and Europe. My mistake then...

B.K.

jesusraz said:
Same with Tales of the World as well then? I thought Ubi handled it in both the US and Europe. My mistake then...

Ubi might have published it in Europe, but in America, Bandai Namco did the localization and publishing.

New reply!

We're very proud of our localization work on the Wild ARMs series, we assembled a great team for each of the three Wild ARMs games we've published (though that one early text bug people talked about in Wild ARMs 4 was a complete surprise to us as it never showed on any of the builds we tested on). People point to Shadow Hearts: From the New World a lot, but I think the Wild ARMs titles and Brave Story: New Traveler are probably the best examples of the good localization work we're capable of here.

Localization on Little King's Story and the other MMV games are going great, though it's sort of new territory for us as the games are still in development in Japan. Our past projects had always been finished games where the final text to translate is set at the beginning of the project, but when localizing together with the development team as they continue to build out the game, text is constantly changing as story elements and game features continue to get added/taken out. Great new experience for us, though it requires a lot more work than having text that's set in stone from the start.

Sony and Nintendo are very different beasts, especially when it comes to how closely their various branches work together internationally. We have a great established relationship with Sony Japan, but perhaps with the right contacts at Nintendo we would have a chance at localizing some of their products too (though I still have my doubts). We will not be pursuing any Nintendo first-party products in the near future.

Sales of Victorious Boxers: Revolution for the Wii were about what we expected, but we will not be bringing the PSP version over. I'm personally a huge fan of the series (took a crash course as I was the localization producer for the Wii version), but there is not enough interest out there for the PSP version and we would surely lose money on it.

And not a bother at all answering your questions, I really enjoy talking to the gamers out there.

DunpealD

Hero of Legend said:
Bump. Weren't you guys waiting for this one? :/

Sorry missed this somehow... good thing I bookmarked it and thank you for the update.

Too bad that the Hajime no Ippo PSP game has no chance ;_; looks like I have to get the JP/Asian version after all.

btw. they seem to have a good relationship with the Media.Vision/Sony Japan products, maybe they should keep an eye on this game which has a Phoenix Wright feeling to it.

Hive

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
(

I have Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary for the DS. It is without a doubt, the neatest puzzler on the DS, thanks to customization, TONS of characters with differing abilities, TONS of modes that you can play over wifi and ad-hoc, and the best part is the music..

I wish i could find the mp3 to the Time Attack mode music...

All in all, PP15 is a bit difficult to navigate with all the modes and sub-modes if you don't read Japanese.. So i think it would be really great if someone localizes Puyo Puyo now that puzzlers such as these have found their audience on the DS

It's not just a nod to Puyo Puyo universe, but a nod to SEGA. You'll see what I mean if you ever play it

inthegray

can you ask them about whether they might consider bringing "Hajime no Ippo The Fighting! DS" (due dec in Japan) to the States?

Hive

Banned
inthegray said:
can you ask them about whether they might consider bringing "Hajime no Ippo The Fighting! DS" (due dec in Japan) to the States?

YES! Please! We could finally have a really neat boxing title on DS!

TunaLover

Any chances they could bring some Bandai Namco games like Sky Crawlers and Fragile, or even the old MS Gundam Sense Wii.

thanks

B.K.

TunaLover said:
Any chances they could bring some Bandai Namco games like Sky Crawlers and Fragile, or even the old MS Gundam Sense Wii.

No. Bandai Namco won't license their games to anyone.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
B.K. said:
No. Bandai Namco won't license their games to anyone.
Retro Game Challenge is a Bandai-Namco game, but at the rate they're getting all these requests now who knows how long they'll be responding to them all. :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TunaLover said:
Baten Kaitos Origins was published by Nintendo in America.
Baten Kaitos Origins was published by Nintendo everywhere. :lol

But I know what you mean. :p

If you think about it though first party publishers usually can get in where small third parties can't, Atlus has spoken to fans many times about not being able to localize Bandai-Namco games in the past.

batbeg

TunaLover said:
Baten Kaitos Origins was published by Nintendo in America.

It was also published by Nintendo in Japan. But either way using Nintendo as an exception isn't the best way of doing things, as they're a bit different than your normal third party.

Top Bottom