• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I desperately need some sympathy.

Dutchy

Banned
No he's right. If you can't afford to replace a TV that goes out then taking a look at your finances would be a good thing to do.
Fuck man, I was so eager to buy a new one the coming summer. Been saving up for a few months now. But I guess that automatically disqualifies me from being able to make the responsible purchase of a luxury product.

anthony2690

Gold Member
When I bought my TV, I wrecked it by holding it wrong when I tried putting it on the wall. Repair was more expensive than buying a new one.
So I needed to buy the same tv twice in one month. Frustrating.
So, I feel you.
Couldn't you take it back as accidental damage for an exchange?

It would still be in warranty right?

Last edited:
Couldn't you take it back as accidental damage for an exchange?

It would still be in warranty right?
Warranty only pays when you didn’t handle it wrong. I’ve talked with Sony and the seller back then. In the end, the seller gave me 10 percent off or something, but more wasn’t possible.

Blow on it if it's on something fragile, that will make it fly around. Then spray the area it's flying around with some insecticide. Although, if they really bother you and you don't want them around ever, I'd suggest getting some nylon nets. You can build or order them to fit your windows, even your doors. With those you'd almost never have one inside...
To be fair, I shooed it away a couple times before resorting to the shirt as I said previously. And it's not like I swung the shirt like a windmill or anything. More than anything, my intent was to just brush the little bugger off the screen. The last thing I'd want.... well the next to last thing I'd want is to get bug guts all over my screen. My failure was not realizing that the shirt had a zipper on it. While hindsight is apparently 20/20, I can't imagine spraying my TV with insecticide would be a good idea. The nets is a good idea though.

Surly you have another tv? I'm a single guy and have 2 tvs, a monitor and a projector lol. Gotta have backups for the backups 🤣.

Do you have accidental damage house contents insurance?
The key words there being "I'm a single guy". Lol

I've done my part to help over populate the world. I might not have anyone to come off the bench, but I can field a basketball team.

Warranty only pays when you didn’t handle it wrong. I’ve talked with Sony and the seller back then. In the end, the seller gave me 10 percent off or something, but more wasn’t possible.
I'll be honest. Unless there was explicit warnings and instructions as to the dangers of not properly holding the tv when installing it, or something that wasn't obvious. There's a more than zero percent chance that they'd be getting the tv back whether they wanted it or not. Whether it went back via a front window would depend entirely on things such as... if the store had a front window.

That would be 10% well spent. But if you were in the same boat as me and just goofed, then not much you can do about it really.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I feel ya op, had my 60 inch 120hz vrr Samsung in another room to watch movies on and my brothers kids chucked a toy car at it destroying it…

Learned never to let the good stuff out of my room from then on…

OP don’t you gamepass? With the way y’all not buying games, you should be able to afford a new TV.
Of course but I'm also on Playstation, and between the expensive games, dualsense edge, PSVR2, and no comparable sub service to Gamepass... I've already hocked everything including the kitchen sink just to keep the lights on. Who can afford a decent TV while also playing on PS5 outside of twitter CEO's?

mrmustard

Banned
Doesn't help you now, but next time buy 5 years warranty and sell the tv after 4,5 years or so. No risc of a write-off.

I bought a 65X94K 2 months ago and the 5 years only were 39,50 Euros in my country.

Ozriel

M$FT
I need the kind of help and support only a place like Gaf can provide. Any way we could have a brief little pity party for me and my life changing situation? Even a simple post offering condolences would help.

Dropped what’s probably my first ever empathy reaction on GAF for you. Hope that helps

Starship Troopers GIF

VN1X

Banned
So my TV is 3 months out of warranty. This morning I'm playing a quick round of Hell Let Loose before work.

Along comes a housefly which is the first one I've seen in months which is odd, especially as it's winter here. Now of course this fly is about as interested in my tv screen as I am. He eventually decides that the place to be is about an inch to right of my aiming reticle or whatever you call it.

Now I'd like to think that I'm not a complete idiot, as well as the fact that I don't own a fly swatter. On the rare occasion this has happened before, my go to move has always been to shoo the fly away a couple of times before grabbing a spare tshirt to swat it with, as I don't want to risk damaging my tv.

Well this morning this fly was persistent, and I was in luck because my son had just so happened to leave one of his shirts on the arm of the couch. So I grab the shirt, and wait for a few seconds for the fly to inevitably return. He doesn't disappoint, and so I swat the fly, and grab my controller to get back to my game.

Only for some strange reason there was an audible crack sound that didn't usually accompany such a move. Unbeknownst to me the shirt had a zipper on it. Well, I don't think much else needs to be said really. The worst part is that my tv is now basically junk due to the panel being cracked, and it's going to be several months before I can drop that kind of money on another tv. Even worse is that my wife, as well as basically everyone I know just laughs when I tell them what happened. Sure I get that it's a funny story, but there's still the fact that I'm now without a TV for the next few months.

I need the kind of help and support only a place like Gaf can provide. Any way we could have a brief little pity party for me and my life changing situation? Even a simple post offering condolences would help.
A fellow Hell Let Looser! Love that game.

But wait... you play it on a TV?

...With... a c-c-controller?!

You deserve all the wrath that has been brought upon you!

Last edited:

Dutchy

Banned
Yup, Sony's warranty on TVs sucks from what I heared. It may be on par with other manufacturers like Samsung but paying premium you would also expect the customer support being a little better. Their processing advantage is underrated IMO but I wish they would offer some kind of extended premium warranty service at least.

Unfortunately same goes for Panasonic, also heared pretty bad things. Seriously premium brands like Pioneer just don't exist anymore.
About 5-6 years ago I bought a Sony Bravia that cost me a little over 3K. After just a couple weeks of playing Black Ops 3 zombie's, the entire HUD was burned into my screen. Including some logo's of TV channels that I watched during the day.

Called up to get my insurance settled and they tried to blame it on me since they couldn't imagine one of their products showing faults after such a short amount of time. Definitely the last time I bought a Sony TV.

I'll be honest. Unless there was explicit warnings and instructions as to the dangers of not properly holding the tv when installing it, or something that wasn't obvious. There's a more than zero percent chance that they'd be getting the tv back whether they wanted it or not. Whether it went back via a front window would depend entirely on things such as... if the store had a front window.

That would be 10% well spent. But if you were in the same boat as me and just goofed, then not much you can do about it really.
There are stories like “I spilled the McDonalds coffee and got burned by it, so I sued them”, but this is not how it works in my country ;)

And I think this is fair. I damaged it by handling it wrong, so I have to pay the price.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Here's what I would do. Call the store you bought it from, tell them your kid broke the TV, and what they suggest you do. If you land on someone good hearted, they'll be like, we'll replace it. I'm sure.

Or, get a TCL, cheap and just as good.

Last edited:
I used my laptop screen as bait and sprayed flies with insecticide... Bad idea; the spray seeped into the screen and made part of a screen brighter... thank God it was not as harsh a lesson as you OP.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You are a grow man. get yourself a new tv.
Buy it on 10x0% or whatever if you must. Why wait few months

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So my TV is 3 months out of warranty. This morning I'm playing a quick round of Hell Let Loose before work.

Along comes a housefly which is the first one I've seen in months which is odd, especially as it's winter here. Now of course this fly is about as interested in my tv screen as I am. He eventually decides that the place to be is about an inch to right of my aiming reticle or whatever you call it.

Now I'd like to think that I'm not a complete idiot, as well as the fact that I don't own a fly swatter. On the rare occasion this has happened before, my go to move has always been to shoo the fly away a couple of times before grabbing a spare tshirt to swat it with, as I don't want to risk damaging my tv.

Well this morning this fly was persistent, and I was in luck because my son had just so happened to leave one of his shirts on the arm of the couch. So I grab the shirt, and wait for a few seconds for the fly to inevitably return. He doesn't disappoint, and so I swat the fly, and grab my controller to get back to my game.

Only for some strange reason there was an audible crack sound that didn't usually accompany such a move. Unbeknownst to me the shirt had a zipper on it. Well, I don't think much else needs to be said really. The worst part is that my tv is now basically junk due to the panel being cracked, and it's going to be several months before I can drop that kind of money on another tv. Even worse is that my wife, as well as basically everyone I know just laughs when I tell them what happened. Sure I get that it's a funny story, but there's still the fact that I'm now without a TV for the next few months.

Are you some kind of Kung Fu master? How did you crack it with a soft shirt?

Kung Fu Fighting GIF

Lunarorbit

I feel ya op, had my 60 inch 120hz vrr Samsung in another room to watch movies on and my brothers kids chucked a toy car at it destroying it…

Learned never to let the good stuff out of my room from then on…
Bought a LG last year for gaming. In keeping that shit hidden in the basement when I rent my house for the summer!

Ar¢tos

I always have a can of bug spray next to the sofa. When a fly lands on one of the tvs I give a quick spray in the direction of the TV (not directly at the screen) and after a few seconds they always fly away. I live in a rural area, flies are a problem in all seasons.

jigglet

Banned
Go second hand. Given how cheap new TV's are these days, the second hand market is horrible for TV's. Get a bargain there.

Katajx

Gold Member
My son got an air soft gun a few years ago for Christmas. I was being an idiot and shot the wall and it ricocheted off the wall and hit my TV.

I got mostly the same reaction from everyone too. They just laughed and I felt like an idiot.

Just a bad day, it’s something not that important, but this too shall pass.

It's a good job the OP isn't cynically trying to manipulate someone into a gesture of goodwill by hoping for a kind hearted benefactor who would be moved to tears by his tragic story and offer to buy him a new t.v

How dare you all think such a thing.

I for one believe this story.
😁😁😁😁😁😁👍👍👍👍👍👍

Last edited:

Brigandier

Well if you can wait til summer you can treat yourself to a LG C3 which is gonna be absolutely nuts.

Also anyone saying HLL sucks is a donkey.

badblue

Gold Member
Can I use kosher salt instead, or would I need a different gauge?
Kosher could work but you'd probably clog the gun if a peice to big got into the hopper (hot water flush would fix that). If you have a mort and pestle, just grind the kosher up a bit and it should be fine.

zcaa0g

Banned
My dog killed my living room TV a few years back. She had one of those heavy duty rope toys and was shaking it back and forth quite vigorously and then flung it right into the TV.

The display was FUBAR, but I still laughed because life has a very big "shit happens" factor and sometimes you just have to roll with it.

Vaz

Neo Member
The reason people just laugh about it is because you risked a very expensive item to kill a worthless lifeform, with a nearly worthless instrument. How much is a flyswatter? You could have avoided all of this problem with a $5 tool. It's funny.

kiphalfton

Have told my gf to be careful whipping her jacket around to put it on, when standing next to the TV, to avoid something just like this (i.e. the zipper smacking the TV).

I knew this kind of shit could happen, and I'm not crazy.

You have my condolences as my TV is like a prized possession, equivalent to the leg lamp on A Christmas Story, and I'd be traumatized if it broke.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don’t think warranty would cover accidental damage anyway.

Top Bottom