• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I didn't like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, but I'm excited for Bloodborne"

Ever considered some people like the cinematic crap? I mean, I will be playing Uncharted 4 when it comes out.

You could say those cinematic games go against the grain of the (videogame) medium and don't play to its strengths at all. It would be interesting to see what big developers (with big budgets) could do with an approach such as the one From is taking with game design. Not that there's anything wrong with liking cinematic games. Nothing wrong with wanting to see something else either though.

You could say those cinematic games go against the grain of the (videogame) medium and don't play to its strengths at all. It would be interesting to see what big developers (with big budgets) could do with an approach such as the one From is taking with game design. Not that there's anything wrong with liking cinematic games. Nothing wrong with wanting to see something else either though.

Don't get me wrong, I do prefer the more systematic approach to games. I like story if it can be involved in gameplay, like Shadow of the Colossus.

But I just have a hard time listening to people prescribing what we should be buying/enjoying.

I don't want The Order, because it looks too linear for me. It doesn't mean there's nobody who wants that game. It's just a really selfish statement to make.

Endo Punk

I adore the Souls game but the fact BB has a victorian setting is a huge plus over those games. Just love the aesthetics of BB so much more, also as an old school Castlevania fan I imagine this is what a current gen Castlevania would look and play like if it was done properly. Doubles the excitement because it scratches 2 gaming itches at once.

Steel

Banned
Another thing i like to add is that from what we have seen so far, Bloodborne seems much more dark fantasy and surreal than any other Souls game.

This is some Beksinski/H.R. Giger inspired shit. Love it.

But the Souls series has been Dark fantasy all along? Yeah it's in a Victorian setting, but to me it's only a minor atmospheric difference intensified by better graphics from what I've seen.

It will be interesting if people love the game because of the Victorian setting despite hating the previous games, because contrary what people are saying here I seriously doubt it's gonna be any less punishing than previous souls games.

I still think ya'll are crazy.

But the Souls series has been Dark fantasy all along? Yeah it's in a Victorian setting, but to me it's only a minor atmospheric difference intensified by better graphics from what I've seen.
Absolutely. They just seem to be putting the emphasis on the horror aspect of the genre this time around.

Endo Punk

Absolutely. They just seem to be putting the emphasis on the horror aspect of the genre this time around.

Horror element is so appealing to me, that's why I stil prefer DMC1 over any other DMC despite gameplay getting better. Something about horror that just creates an amazing atmosphere and aesthetic which is so much more pleasing to the eye.

schlew

From what I've seen, Bloodborne just seems so fast. It really excites me, and while thinking of it as an action game may be incorrect, I get the impression I may be able to escape bad situations quickly. What's always worried me about the Souls games is their difficulty, and I feel like I'm just not good enough.

But in response to all this Bloodborne fervor, I picked up Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 (and if I enjoy them I'll get the PS4 port of Souls 2). So maybe I'll come around and enjoy them all because of how much Bloodborne appeals to me.

wickfut

Banned
From what I've seen, Bloodborne just seems so fast. It really excites me, and while thinking of it as an action game may be incorrect, I get the impression I may be able to escape bad situations quickly. What's always worried me about the Souls games is their difficulty, and I feel like I'm just not good enough.

The fast shield less play is what is putting me off it. It just seems like a tacky unnatural super power run. I'd rather they just give us Demon's Souls 2 or Dark Souls 3.

Again, as I edited into the post you're quoting, medieval scenarios feel overdone in general. The three generic scenarios across all forms of media are space, western, and medieval. There's a reason that all three have been largely abandoned by Hollywood on any normal basis. Scifi is only recently making a resurgence and not very successfully. These genres need to try extra hard to resonate with people who have been desensitized to their qualities.

The setting of the Souls games, for players like me, is "generic medieval." That's a trapping of the genre, not the game.
Just because you're fed up or don't like medieval settings, doesn't mean that every game released in those settings is 'generic medieval'.

Dark souls' dark/horror fantasy settings are quite unique. I don't know a single RPG or even a game with a comparable atmosphere.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I loved Demons and Dark Souls, but am wary of Bloodborne, because of the blood.

The Souls games I played through with my kids in the room, and they enjoyed the look of the place and helping me explore. Bloodborne looks like it will be something I can only play when they are in bed. So I'll miss playing alongside them, but it also means I'll have less time to play - it'll go on my late night backlog which only ever seems to grow.

Endo Punk

The fast shield less play is what is putting me off it. I'd rather they just give us Demon's Souls 2 or Dark Souls 3.

It would feel too similar and therefore risk being stale. There is also the chance that it would become easy becacuse gamers have become accustomed to the gameplay style, now we have to throw away what we know and learn the game all over again which I don't l know about you but I feel is incredibly exciting. Instead of holding your shield and feeling safe half the time we now have to dodge and weave through attacks and be on the offensive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I actually think the Tutorial is one of my favorite levels in all of Demon's/Dark. Like dayum that is some cool architecture and level design. The 1 2 punch of that and then Boletaria (and then I happily stumbled right into Latria) and I was like omg this game.

wickfut

Banned
It would feel too similar and therefore risk being stale. There is also the chance that it would become easy becacuse gamers have become accustomed to the gameplay style, now we have to throw away what we know and learn the game all over again which I don't l know about you but I feel is incredibly exciting. Instead of holding your shield and feeling safe half the time we now have to dodge and weave through attacks and be on the offensive.

I'd rather play cautious with a shield than play with a "hit x to hyperspace 2 foot to your left" button.

But I haven't played it yet. I'm just going off the videos.

Endo Punk

I'd rather play cautious with a shield than play with a "hit x to hyperspace 2 foot to your left" button.

But I haven't played it yet. I'm just going off the videos.

I like both but prefer what BB is going for, not that we have to choose because Dark Souls 2 is also releasing few weeks after with new content and such.

I see Sony/Miyazaki continuing with Bloodborne IP and FS continuing the Dark Souls IP with Namco. Everyone wins.

lumzi23

Again, as I edited into the post you're quoting, medieval scenarios feel overdone in general. The three generic scenarios across all forms of media are space, western, and medieval. There's a reason that all three have been largely abandoned by Hollywood on any normal basis. Scifi is only recently making a resurgence and not very successfully. These genres need to try extra hard to resonate with people who have been desensitized to their qualities.

The setting of the Souls games, for players like me, is "generic medieval." That's a trapping of the genre, not the game.

Sci-fi in my estimation is often spectacularly successful. And it is everywhere and in most things. As far as medieval goes maybe people were always desensitized because as far as I know it has always been a more of a niche thing (though that is changing thanks to things like game of thrones and LOTR/Tolkien). Medieval is probably the wrong word. I mean, outside of maybe Oblivion, Elder Scrolls isn't all that medieval (I believe there was a game about pirates at one point).

Rue

You know I love when people say that hype doesn't sell games and this is a perfect example. I mean, I love the Souls series, but the people who say this just look absolutely insane for me. It's like saying: "I hated Final Fantasy XIII, but I'm excited about XII-2".

It's funny you say that because... I've said that before. (I'm meh on 13 but love 13-2) Games are a unique medium when it comes to sequels, where other mediums live or die by their story, if a game is fun enough.. nobody will care what the story is like. To compound onto that, in gaming, usually sequels are better in a technical/gameplay standpoint since they have a foundation to build on and improve. It makes perfect sense for someone to get excited about a sequel to a game, it's very possible that they are interested in the groundwork laid out by the Souls series but would love more fluid/faster combat. That is EXACTLY what we're seeing with Bloodborne and I feel the same as them.

convo

The fast shield less play is what is putting me off it. It just seems like a tacky unnatural super power run. I'd rather they just give us Demon's Souls 2 or Dark Souls 3.
You're acting like you would be an unstoppable killing machine without seeing any of the challenges the game has to offer yet. You are going to die many times.Just because most of the trailers and presentation are god-mode walkthroughs for presentations sake won't mean you will have the supreme power over everything. You might be forgetting who is directing this game. The game does seem fast because they intend to make it fast, where is your evidence it would be better if it was slow when you haven't seen the type of enemy's the developers have made for this game.Would you believe they could take the game and present a challenge with entirely new options for the player and still make it hard?
This is a different vision on the gameplay-style front, which still is a familiar style to a lot of people who play souls-games, far from unnatural or alienating.

Watevaman

I'm not really excited for it, but I do see the appeal of the aesthetics. It has a distinct setting that hasn't really been shown off too much.

D6AMIA6N

This is so me. Very excited for Bloodborne, Souls series were not for me. Why? Better graphics, more interesting setting, gameplay mechanics, faster combat speed, more interesting enemies, weapons, etc.

I didn't like Dark Souls or Demon Souls but I loved Dark Souls 2 and I'm looking forward to Bloodborne.

One big thing in it I'm looking forward to is less reliance on always having your shield up 24/7.

convo

As said the art-style is fantastic and people could still take their time and slowly soak in the atmosphere without actually playing the turtle tank. You are not forced to run through the game like a speedrun either, what's stopping you from looking at that giant fucking cthullu/spider monster on that building please?

Spineker

Banned
Yep, I am definitely in this camp, for no other reason other than the artistic aesthetic and setting of Bloodborne seems a LOT more interesting than the Souls games. Also, the fact that the combat is more frenetic and seems to require more twitch dodge tactics, that better suits me

I could see how this game could be more of a draw for some then Demons / Dark. I mean the setting and the more modern tech of the game along with the incredibly slick art direction and badass dual purpose weaponry is just plain badass to look at and watch.

So they may of been vaguely interested in Demons / Dark but then saw swords and shields and dragons and thought ... meh.

But now they see dudes in trenchcoats slamming blades into hammers to create a 2H hammer and a guy with a shotgun and one dude carrying what looked like a Gatling gun and think .. alright yeah this is more my style!

If Miyazaki is successful and FROM brings in more casual gamers into the fold at launch along with the hardcore Souls fans, they could have a mega-hit on their hands with Bloodborne. ( for this genre of game anyway )

Demons
872926-c20090122_ds_77_cs1w1_640x360.jpg

Dark
darksouls2-1024x537.jpg

Blood
bloodborne_2.jpg

Spineker

Banned
I could see how this game could be more of a draw for some then Demons / Dark. I mean the setting and the more modern tech of the game along with the incredibly slick art direction and badass dual purpose weaponry is just plain badass to look at and watch.

So they may of been vaguely interested in Demons / Dark but then saw swords and shields and dragons and thought ... meh.

But now they see dudes in trenchcoats slamming blades into hammers to create a 2H hammer and a guy with a shotgun and one dude carrying what looked like a Gatling gun and think .. alright yeah this is more my style!

You nailed it mate, well done.

I think the point of contention here is if the setting is interesting ENOUGH that the player is willing to cop a belting just to get even marginally decent at the game so they can experience all of it then that's the difference. The game has to keep players engaged on at least one of those levels

Steel

Banned
I didn't like Dark Souls or Demon Souls but I loved Dark Souls 2 and I'm looking forward to Bloodborne.

One big thing in it I'm looking forward to is less reliance on always having your shield up 24/7.

That was never a necessity, though. At all. It's just what walkthroughs tell you to do and most people follow suit.

Aggie CMD

Let's be honest with ourselves. In today's gaming environment, exclusives are held is such high regard and pushed so hard by the console manufacturers that their expectations are, for better or worse, inflated. Is there no more potent fuel for the proverbial hype train than exclusivity? I think not.

It doesn't matter what Bloodbourne is. It's an exclusive. I'll admit it - I've purchased games before because they were a platform exclusive.

That was never a necessity, though. At all. It's just what walkthroughs tell you to do and most people follow suit.
Oh I realize that and I know plenty of people easily beat the games without them. But I'm not one of those people and have no qualms in admitting I'm terrible at these games so I rely on shields heavily.

Spineker

Banned
Let's be honest with ourselves. In today's gaming environment, exclusives are held is such high regard and pushed so hard by the console manufacturers that their expectations are, for better or worse, inflated. Is there no more potent fuel for the proverbial hype train than exclusivity? I think not.

It doesn't matter what Bloodbourne is. It's an exclusive. I'll admit it - I've purchased games before because they were a platform exclusive.

Uhhh no, I don't think that's what it is at all. People didn't buy MCC because it was an exclusive, they bought it because it's Halo.

wickfut

Banned
You're acting like you would be an unstoppable killing machine without seeing any of the challenges the game has to offer yet. You are going to die many times.Just because most of the trailers and presentation are god-mode walkthroughs for presentations sake won't mean you will have the supreme power over everything. You might be forgetting who is directing this game. The game does seem fast because they intend to make it fast, where is your evidence it would be better if it was slow when you haven't seen the type of enemy's the developers have made for this game.Would you believe they could take the game and present a challenge with entirely new options for the player and still make it hard?
This is a different vision on the gameplay-style front, which still is a familiar style to a lot of people who play souls-games, far from unnatural or alienating.

Look, I'm not acting like anything. I'm simply stating my opinion that after watching the videos that I don't like the high speed dodging because I don't think it looks right in the game. That is all.

I will buy Bloodborne and probably play through it and enjoy it. But currently my excitement for it isn't as high as it would be if it were another souls game.

The faster pace is the main kicker for me. The Dark Souls footage I've seen looks way too slowly, deliberately paced in terms of combat; never been a fan of that approach. Bloodborne looks just as difficult but more "in the mix" as far as the fighting goes.

Majanew

Banned
I played some of Dark Souls and hated it and I'm excited to play Bloodborne. Some of the excitement is because Dark Souls was ugly as hell with a shit frame-rate and horrible audio. I don't expect Bloodborne to have those issues.

I think From picked up on the combat just being serviceable in the Souls games so they're making a special effort to make it more fun in Bloodborne. I think the combat proved too much of a hassle for people to get into the game and that could certainly change with Bloodborne.

The dungeon crawler elements in the Souls games were always its strong points, and with an even bigger budget with better art on more powerful hardware I can see a lot more people being drawn in.

Same as several others: Fuck generic fantasy/WRPG looks, but give me victorian/horror anytime. More fast paced battles and focus on evasion is also a plus, hopefully you can play this game without stat guides and shit.
I just don't like that the worlds are still silent. Imagine Symphony of the Night without music - just no.

Mupod

Just sounds to me that people have it in their heads that 'faster paced' means 'button mashing with no consequences'

I mean even in that gif the guy's about to get clocked from behind while he's stuck in his hammer animation. It's still gonna be similar to Souls games.

I think From picked up on the combat just being serviceable in the Souls games so they're making a special effort to make it more fun in Bloodborne. I think the combat proved too much of a hassle for people to get into the game and that could certainly change with Bloodborne.

I want to live in a world where Souls combat only rates a 'serviceable'

tuxfool

Banned
I think it's because the atmosphere of the Souls games was really generic. It had really subjectively poor sense of setting. People still liked it, but it was not a world to get lost in. I never felt like I was present in the experience. Also the punishingly hard gameplay, while appealing, can also be extremely unappealing depending on the frame of mind of the player. If I'm exhausted after work or only have two free hours, I don't want to spend it failing.

Bloodborne looks like it fixes that.

EDIT: Since I am being quoted repeatedly, I'm adding here that, like other posters express beyond this post, the medieval genre is inherently generic and is unappealing for reasons unrelated to the Souls games specifically. Please stop quoting this post out of this context.

The setting is not appealing to players like us.

Post #36

In which case you are using the wrong adjective. It isn't generic, you just don't like it.

Mupod

Either that or they might warm up to what these games have to offer.

Yeah, I actually think this is more likely to be the case. Butthurt is still possible but I expect quite a few will instead be going back to the Souls games to give them another shot.

Steel

Banned
Either that or they might warm up to what these games have to offer.

Just look at the windup animation on that hammer. It's so slow that the third swing doesn't even fit in the gif.

This is a Souls game if I ever saw one...

Exactly what I'm thinking every time I see that gif and people are saying the game looks faster. The animations look smoother, prettier even, but it doesn't look much faster to me.

gogosox82

I played some of Dark Souls and hated it and I'm excited to play Bloodborne. Some of the excitement is because Dark Souls was ugly as hell with a shit frame-rate and horrible audio. I don't expect Bloodborne to have those issues.

Well its going to run at 30 fps and what's wrong with the audio? This is a new compliant I've not heard before.

Same as several others: Fuck generic fantasy/WRPG looks, but give me victorian/horror anytime. More fast paced battles and focus on evasion is also a plus, hopefully you can play this game without stat guides and shit.
I just don't like that the worlds are still silent. Imagine Symphony of the Night without music - just no.

You could always evade like that. Its an rpg so of course there will be leveling up and stat allocating and people will create "optimal" builds like you do with every rpg. You can always just ignore guides and level/ play how you want. There will not be music expect for the boss fights.

oni-link

You know I love when people say that hype doesn't sell games and this is a perfect example. I mean, I love the Souls series, but the people who say this just look absolutely insane for me. It's like saying: "I hated Final Fantasy XIII, but I'm excited about XII-2".

My initial thought was that it's just hype, but there have been a few answers in this thread that are more reasonable

I think one of 2 things will happen to those who buy this knowing they didn't like the Souls games

1) They'll begrudgingly stick with it until it clicks, and then want to revisit the Souls games

2) They won't like it for the same reasons they didn't like the Souls games and they'll and stop playing it

Top Bottom