• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I didn't like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, but I'm excited for Bloodborne"

Spineker

Banned
ilsNB8vHZwEFr.gif

This gif is all it took....

Best gif of the generation

This gif reminded me strongly of Aragorn fighting the Nazgul on Weathertop. Fuck it's gorgeous.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ilsNB8vHZwEFr.gif

It really is incredible.

Let's be sure to keep it around to compare it to the final game. I desperately want this to be exactly as the game appears, but From has a reputation, beyond just DS2, of slightly enhancing their trailers with effects that aren't really in the game. The fog, the light, the color grading, and the particles are all areas I'm suspicious of.

plainr_

I have yet to play any of the Souls games but it's the atmosphere and aesthetics of Bloodborne that has got my attention. Not a fan of the medieval theme.

oni-link

ilsNB8vHZwEFr.gif

Just a heads up for those sold on the game because of trailers and gifs, Dark Souls 2 looked a lot better in trailers and gifs than it did in the final product, so while the game may not get a downgrade, it would be unwise to expect the final game will look as good as some of these gifs when the company does have form when it comes to downgrading things

fantomena

Just a heads up for those sold on the game because of trailers and gifs, Dark Souls 2 looked a lot better in trailers and gifs than it did in the final product, so while the game may not get a downgrade, it would be unwise to expect the final game will look as good as some of these gifs when the company does have form when it comes to downgrading things

I played the Alpha, it looked just as good as from what Ive seen in trailers and stuff.

uh oh, something looks good

quick someone find a flaw!

CAR105 3

I'm kind of on the opposite boat.

I loved Demon's, Dark and even liked Dark II a lot, but I'm not getting very excited about Bloodborne.

Maybe it's the faster paced combat, or the "town" setting making it seem less desolate (I know there's supposed to be other locations). I don't know, can't really put my finger on it.

I hope i'll be positively surprised, though (and it's Miyazaki, chances are he'll do it).
I'm on the same boat.

I loved Dark Souls 1 and 2. And I've only played parts of Demon Souls in a friends house and I also love it. But bloodborne isnt hyping me that much due to the victorian setting. But I know that Miyazaki will deliver a GOTY candidate.

Just a heads up for people who don't know what they are talking about.
Dark Souls 2 experienced a big downgrade but it was made by the B-team and Namco Bandai had bad PR.

Bloodborne is being made by the A team, who handled Demons Souls and Dark Souls. Dark Souls and Demon Souls experienced no such things and the Alpha of Bloodborne looked just like the trailers.

Hiko

Banned

Yup, they're just waiting till the last minute to pull the old switcheroo!

Sakujou

Banned
it never clicked for me, and the game is ugly as fuck.
the controls are beyond oblivion, but i would give bloodborne a chance when it hits a lower price.

i like hard games, but this is another way of hard.
i like the "devil may cry"-ish hard, not the "trial and error"-hard, if its not further explained or made out clear in any way.
oh and the style of the game.... ugh

hope bloodborne does it better. at least the first few pics do look a bit better.

it never clicked for me, and the game is ugly as fuck.
the controls are beyond oblivion, but i would give bloodborne a chance when it hits a lower price.

i like the "devil may cry"-ish hard, not the "trial and error"-hard, if its not further explained or made out clear in any way.
oh and the style of the game.... ugh

hope bloodborne does it better. at least the first few pics do look a bit better.

It won't

Don't expect a hand holding experience with Bloodborne

Arafo

Just a heads up for people who don't know what they are talking about.
Dark Souls 2 experienced a big downgrade but it was made by the B-team and Namco Bandai had bad PR.

Bloodborne is being made by the A team, who handled Demons Souls and Dark Souls. Dark Souls and Demon Souls experienced no such things and the Alpha of Bloodborne looked just like the trailers.

Dark Souls 2 demo in 2013 TGS looked like the trailers and downgraded happened anyway.

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_dark_souls_ii_tgs_showfloor_gameplay-30825_en.html

No it doesn't.

Again, victorian horror > medieval fantasy
Yeah, but people like other medieval fantasy games. I think the reason that you didn't stick with the Souls games was because you hated the gameplay, and this is going to be exactly the same (well not exactly, but probably the same things that kept some away).

Unless you're talking about brand new players who saw the Souls games at the store but never bought them because they looked kinda generic and you kept confusing between the two Dark ____ games that just got a sequel, so you didn't bother to really pay attention until Bloodborne was announced. And then you payed attention to Bloodborne which retroactively got you interested in DS. Because that happened to me haha.

Dio

Banned
Just to be clear, there are very, very few situations in a Souls game where it's legit trial and error. If you're careful and use environmental cues you can avoid nearly everything. For example, there are tons of scorch marks and burnt bodies on the dragon breath bridge in Demon's Souls and scorch marks on the one in Dark Souls too, giving you a clue to be careful. There's also an audio cue of a dragon flying in before the breath even starts, giving you some time to find shelter.

Same goes for that elevator in Sen's Fortress being covered in blood - why is it covered in blood? And then you look up, and there's spikes on the ceiling. Good thing you looked before you walked on it. Et cetera, et cetera.

Fletcher

Tried many times to like the souls games and I get their appeal, they just never clicked for me. I hope Bloodborne does.

My biggest complaint, and what it seems they hopefully have tweaked with bloodborne, is the pace. It seems they have turned it up a little bit and I like that. Plus, the art direction is so much better. And the grail dungeons appeal to me.

Hopefully it hits at just the right time for me when it will just work for me.

charsace

No it doesn't.

Again, victorian horror > medieval fantasy

I'm not talking about the art. The art style is just he side dish to the main course, game play. I would hope when I say it looks like a Souls game the first thing people will think of is game play. Because the game play screams Souls to me. And if you don't like how the Souls games play I don't think the art style will be enough to get you through the game.

Tried many times to like the souls games and I get their appeal, they just never clicked for me. I hope Bloodborne does.

My biggest complaint, and what it seems they hopefully have tweaked with bloodborne, is the pace. It seems they have turned it up a little bit and I like that. Plus, the art direction is so much better. And the grail dungeons appeal to me.

Hopefully it hits at just the right time for me when it will just work for me.

Ditto - bought them all but get so angry playing. Only ever finished Dark Souls

I think it's because the atmosphere of the Souls games was really generic. It had really subjectively poor sense of setting. People still liked it, but it was not a world to get lost in. I never felt like I was present in the experience.

oh my...

Demon's Souls and DS1 in particular are two of the most atmospheric games ever created.

if anything, Bloodborne's setting looks more generic than those.

so1337

Demons souls artstyle is as boring as it gets. Bloodbourne looks bad ass.
That's nonsense. Bloodborne's artstyle is a very natural evolution of Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. You make it seem like they're completely different looking games. They're not. Yes, one is medievil (to use a reductionist term) and one is victorian but the visual identity could not be more similar.

So I'm seeing 2 reasons here. One is the shallow variety where people don't like 'generic fantasy' but are interested in the Victorian setting. Alright, that's fair and probably the intention of the devs. Draw more people in. Still, if you think souls games are just generic fantasy you haven't played them much. The horror element is the defining element for sure.

The other reason seems to be misconceptions, that the game will be less punishing, less obtuse. That you won't have to repeat areas over and over fighting the same enemies over and over. That the combat is 'faster'(not really much faster than some builds in demon souls, at all actually) that the story, level design etc will be more straightforward. All of this is wrong. This is a souls game. If anything it will be more punishing, more obtuse than before.

Hugstable

Banned
So I'm seeing 2 reasons here. One is the shallow variety where people don't like 'generic fantasy' but are interested in the Victorian setting. Alright, that's fair and probably the intention of the devs. Draw more people in. Still, if you think souls games are just generic fantasy you haven't played them much. The horror element is the defining element for sure.

The other reason seems to be misconceptions, that the game will be less punishing, less obtuse. That you won't have to repeat areas over and over fighting the same enemies over and over. That the combat is 'faster'(not really much faster than some builds in demon souls, at all actually) that the story, level design etc will be more straightforward. All of this is wrong. This is a souls game. If anything it will be more punishing, more obtuse than before.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that if someone didn't likr Demon or Dark Souls, Bloodbarn is not going to be any different. Honestly them making the game super easy is my biggest worry right now out of anything.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think it's because the atmosphere of the Souls games was really generic. It had really subjectively poor sense of setting. People still liked it, but it was not a world to get lost in. I never felt like I was present in the experience. Also the punishingly hard gameplay, while appealing, can also be extremely unappealing depending on the frame of mind of the player. If I'm exhausted after work or only have two free hours, I don't want to spend it failing.

Bloodborne looks like it fixes that.

EDIT: Since I am being quoted repeatedly, I'm adding here that, like other posters express beyond this post, the medieval genre is inherently generic and is unappealing for reasons unrelated to the Souls games specifically. Please stop quoting this post out of this context.

The setting is not appealing to players like us.

Post #36
You apparently don't know what "generic" means. First of all, no genre is "inherently generic". Generic is in the execution, not in the setting. That a setting doesn't appeal to you no matter what the execution is like, doesn't make it generic.
And second, the atmosphere in Demon's Souls is second to none. Well, maybe second to Bloodborne, we'll see. But yeah.

Again, as I edited into the post you're quoting, medieval scenarios feel overdone in general. The three generic scenarios across all forms of media are space, western, and medieval.
What is this nonsense? How about, "the three generic scenarios across all forms of media are urban action, zombies, and modern warfare". See, those genres are also overdone, in fact, way more so than space (?!), western (lol, western, overdone?) and medieval. That doesn't mean I'd dismiss The Last of Us just because "zombies are generic". I personally don't care much for modern warfare, but I wouldn't go out and say the new Battlefield game is "inherently generic" without seeing how the game handles the setting. Not for me != generic.

There's a reason that all three have been largely abandoned by Hollywood on any normal basis. Scifi is only recently making a resurgence and not very successfully. These genres need to try extra hard to resonate with people who have been desensitized to their qualities.
What are you talking about? The LotR movies are very popular, as were the Hobbit movies. Game of Thrones is one of the most popular TV series of all time. Marvel superhero movies are arguably sci-fi and very popular, and I'll bet the new Star Wars movies will be as well. They are not as common as romantic comedies because they require higher budgets and are harder to produce, not because the genre "does not resonate with people".

Rude awakenings ahead.

Can't wait to read about bad gameplay and trial and error design in couple of months.
Just to be clear, there are very, very few situations in a Souls game where it's legit trial and error. If you're careful and use environmental cues you can avoid nearly everything. For example, there are tons of scorch marks and burnt bodies on the dragon breath bridge in Demon's Souls and scorch marks on the one in Dark Souls too, giving you a clue to be careful. There's also an audio cue of a dragon flying in before the breath even starts, giving you some time to find shelter.

Same goes for that elevator in Sen's Fortress being covered in blood - why is it covered in blood? And then you look up, and there's spikes on the ceiling. Good thing you looked before you walked on it. Et cetera, et cetera.
Obligatory:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that if someone didn't likr Demon or Dark Souls, Bloodbarn is not going to be any different. Honestly them making the game super easy is my biggest worry right now out of anything.

I don't think there's any reason to worry about that. From Miyazaki's latest interview:

Just as Miyazaki’s games are demanding, so is Miyazaki. He jokes that he’s a perfectionist and that his staff at From Software will likely quit on him in a few years. The pursuit of creating a faultless interactive challenge is not one he takes lightly, and if players don’t consider the action-fantasy epic “Bloodborne” to be downright punishing, he’ll consider it a disappointment.

Jackl

To be fair that isn't just From. Most of the major studios and publishers have been caught juicing their media releases, or trying to pass PC demos as implied console versions.

Absolutely. Those are great examples which I took note of before blindly running in and getting myself killed. "Oh hello dragon....scorch marks eh? I know what's gonna happen here..." and "That's a lot of blood en that elevator floor, and that isn't travelling up far enough to reach a higher floor..." The game was full of excellent visual cues like those.

Zaventem

Buying games on visual identity alone is pretty stupid. There are numerous alpha playthroughs on youtube with people saying it's a slightly faster souls game. So if difficulity turned you off expect the same thing.

charsace

Will this game have magic/easy mode though? I played the Souls games mainly as a light armor dual wield guy and paid for it because magic gonna magic.

Hugstable

Banned
Absolutely. Those are great examples which I took note of before blindly running in and getting myself killed. "Oh hello dragon....scorch marks eh? I know what's gonna happen here..." and "That's a lot of blood en that elevator floor, and that isn't travelling up far enough to reach a higher floor..." The game was full of excellent visual cues like those.

I'll still never forget the time I YOLO jumped into the Octorock pit in Lost Izalith -____-. Lost all my souls that day, but damn did it teach me to be much more safe around those Octorock assholes. Loved this game for that sense of feeling where I always need to be careful, makes every dungeon and every step in the game be tense, but the fun kind.

Will this game have magic/easy mode though? I played the Souls games mainly as a light armor dual wield guy and paid for it because magic gonna magic.

I hope they do the classes again. We haven't even seen any skill point or experience stuff also, I'm really hoping they didn't scrap that stuff too.

I hope they do the classes again. We haven't even seen any skill point or experience stuff also, I'm really hoping they didn't scrap that stuff too.

Miyazaki has also said to expect all the Souls-y stuff like character customization/progression, lots of armors and weapons, etc. I want to say that they said there won't be magic in the game, but it's unclear whether there will be some sort of magic equivalent. I personally wouldn't miss magic as I find magic builds to be pretty boring in all 3 games relative to melee, though glass cannon mage build in Demon's was pretty fun.

charsace

Dark Souls isn't a trial and error game. Dark Souls is a dungeon crawler that is all about reading and recognizing. This is applied to the enemies and the environment. The games never throw random shit at you from out of no where are have anything like "you did something wrong, you lose instantly even though you aren't dead."

ZdkDzk

Because Bloodborne is on another level aesthetically.

Because where Demons/Dark were relatively slow games where you sort of "danced" to the enemy's rhythm (or died), Bloodborne looks like a fast paced rushdown game where you get penalized for not taking risks.

I'm not one of those guys, but this would be my answer.

jimi_dini

it's no easier.

People said the same about Dark Souls 2...

After DS2 FROM lost all credibility.

But you know what? I actually understand why they changed all those things in DS2 to make it easier. Game costs a lot. Game needs to need money back. Larger audience required.

Dark Souls isn't a trial and error game. Dark Souls is a dungeon crawler that is all about reading and recognizing.

Dark Souls 2 went against this rule.
That one monster breaking down the wall and most of the time instant killing you? There was no way of knowing that before experiencing it.

I didn't like Demon Souls

Liked Dark Souls

and am excited for Bloodborne

The bloodborne trailers catch my attention much more than any Dark/Demons Souls trailers did.

This game literally takes 3 of my least favorite things about the Souls games and changes them (The setting, faster gameplay, no shields(firearms!!!))

Stop with this crap it's getting annoying. It's not crazy that someone who didn't have interest on the Souls games would have interest in this.

People said the same about Dark Souls 2...

After DS2 FROM lost all credibility.

But you know what? I actually understand why they changed all those things in DS2 to make it easier. Game costs a lot. Game needs to need money back. Larger audience required.

That one monster breaking down the wall and most of the time instant killing you? There was no way of knowing that before experiencing it.

Dark Souls 2 was made by a different team with Miyazaki not directing it as well.

Stop with this crap it's getting annoying. It's not crazy that someone who didn't have interest on the Souls games would have interest in this.

If someone didn't like the gameplay or core mechanics of all 3 Souls games, I think it's absolutely crazy to be interested in Bloodborne. Setting is a different matter.

semiconscious

Gold Member
I have yet to play any of the Souls games but it's the atmosphere and aesthetics of Bloodborne that has got my attention. Not a fan of the medieval theme.

this reasoning i understand. however, anyone thinking that the fundamental 'prepare to die' aspects've been 'modified' or toned down' are likely in for a pretty rude awakening...

myself, as a souls fan: i'm intimidated. but that's always been par for the course for me with these games :) ...

Twookie

This game will most likely be every bit as tough as Demon's Souls man.

I have no idea where people are getting this idea that Bloodborne is going to have toned down difficulty?

it's quite a few years since I played Demon's Souls, and at the time - I hadn't played anything like it. That's part of the reason I bought Dark Souls, I felt ready for the game now, but too bad the game never ran past that cutscene without crashing lol. Also I didn't even say that the game was going to be easier, I know full and well it's going to be a hard game just like Demon's and Dark Souls :))

Drencrom

People had played the alpha of DS2 as well before the release. >.>

Yes, and that alpha was downgraded already. Not the case at all with Bloodborne's Alpha or the gameplay trailer and demo that was shown at PSX in December.

No need to jump to conclusions based on what happened with DS2. Nothing like that ever happened to Demon's, Dark 1 or any other FROM Software title either (plus this isn't the same core team).

eot

Banned

It wasn't a game directed by a brilliant perfectionist either.

Fou-Lu

I can't even remember how far I got into Demon's Souls despite buying it on release, but I found it interesting and fun, just a tad to frustrating and I ended up putting it down. Then Dark Souls came out and my friends got addicted to it so I figured I'd play with them. They ruined the game for me by using really powerful characters to 'help' me through the game. So I can't exactly say I like souls games...

Still excited for Bloodbourne, it looks more aggresive, faster and the setting inspires the hell out of me.

Top Bottom